PDA

View Full Version : Ekis on 10xl duing 51mph

vasy
06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwrPCRBPgo

Here's friend's EKOS with Seaking 120A ESC's, Feigao 10XL's running 4500mAh 4S on 40mm props. Clocked her on the Garmin GPS at 51.82 mph

crabstick
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
what prop?

C-Mac
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
They are Graupner K series 40mm

VIKOS
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
ekis lol sorry had to..nice thats what I'm gona be running but with 38mm props instead 3 blade for better top speed...

vasy
06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
ekis lol sorry had to..nice thats what I'm gona be running but with 38mm props instead 3 blade for better top speed...

He has some Octura 42mm counter-rotating coming, will see what difference that make.
The prop angle was set to -3, the boat was super stable, did a run today set at 0 but did not GPS it, it did look like the nose was up a bit more but still stable in the rough water. Will GPS it in later-on on "0" and after on 42mm props.

The best part we did about 20 runs so far and all seems to hold up well.

I though 2 bladed will give you better top speed compare to 3?

VIKOS
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
maybe your right its either more torque or top speed with 3 fin props but I'm sure the same thing goes for full size boats where you see alot of racing boats using 3 blade even 4 blade..thought 2 blade was for torque and eaze of plane. Whats the difference between the 9 and 10 xl thought you could still run 4S even 5s with the 9..guess its for lower cell batt. if thats the case I'm going with 10 for the added weight. -3 strut angle hmm nice. Doesn't that cause more wasted energy from the rooster tail but keep the sturn down..I'm at at 0 here in choppy water don't seem to have a problem. Sure can't full throttle it and like a rea lboat in the ocean takes about 2 secs from start to start plaining which is probably due to the props and angle of struts...nice set up though. I had to download this vid on MXTUBE on my iphone so that I can show fellow boaters the potential with these instead of the high priced motors there telling me to get...

vasy
06-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Just went with -3 to try 1st, see how that setup does, got the 51mph, the nose was down as you pointed out and in moderate chop it was dead steady and were able to open her up.
We now tried 0 to see the difference but were lazy to take out GPS, next time for sure. The nose was up a bit more this time but still more or less stable.
In the same water I was trying to catch up on my miss Elam and had no chance, I was getting airborne and flipped it 3 times pushing hard, the King seemed like it was glued to the water.

380 10xl is already the lowest KV OSE sells, I don't think they will take 5s, with 4s and 5 minute runs using the highly scientific method of sticking the hand on the motor, it passes the 5 seconds test, with 42mm props I think it will max out the load.
Maybe 5s on 32mm props one can try.... but refer to this thread: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14896
We are more interested in more then once results :)

Jeff Wohlt
06-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Is it still running stock cables? Looks good. The 10Xls really run well on 4S. I plan to put them in some other boats as well as twins. Takes the tips off the 442 and de-tongue them andit will rock with better lift.

vasy
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Yes, stock cables but upgraded couplers with twin grab screws.
Neither myself nor the guy know how to work the props, so they will be stock b/s x442's.
Hope they fit.

forescott
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I have the same props,esc's and lipos. But run the 9xl with neutral strut at 55.2mph on garmin gps. FYI Just for comparison.

vasy
06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
ya, more KV on 9xl, what are the amp draw?
We were hitting max at around 74 amps (I could only test max draw, no logger available)

forescott
06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Ya, I couldnt tell ya. I dont have any data logging tools.:noidea:

vasy
06-08-2010, 10:06 PM

What about the scientific "finger for 5 seconds" to the back of the motor test? does it pass it well?

scubasteve95
06-08-2010, 10:14 PM

:doh: WHAT ...WHAT...DID YOU SAY YOU DON'T HAVE A LOGGER...
DID I READ THAT RIGHT......ARE YOU INSANE MAN.....YOUR JUST TROLLING...
JUST KIDDEN....THATS THE RESPONCE I GOT WHEN I SAID THE SAME THING YOU GUYS DID.....
GLAD TO SEE THE TIME / HEAT METHOD WORKS FOR MORE THEN JUST ME.........:banana:.....
I JUST USE A RED DOT NO TOUCH HEAT GUN...TO HELL WITH THE TECNO-HEADS

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
JUST KIDDEN....THATS THE RESPONCE I GOT WHEN I SAID THE SAME THING YOU GUYS DID.....
GLAD TO SEE THE TIME / HEAT METHOD WORKS FOR MORE THEN JUST ME.........:banana:.....
I JUST USE A RED DOT NO TOUCH HEAT GUN...TO HELL WITH THE TECNO-HEADS

There is a big difference. Vasy is running a 4s with motors that handle 4s in his twin setup. You on the other hand are running motors that many people have burnt up on 4s. :smile:

scubasteve95
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
there is a big difference. Vasy is running a 4s with motors that handle 4s in his twin setup. You on the other hand are running motors that many people have burnt up on 4s. :smile:

it has nothing to do with what i'm running vs his set-up
you and your pals said thats not the way to do it ....period...(joe)

Rumdog
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
LOL You sure you don't work for Venom?

vasy
06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
LOL You sure you don't work for Venom?

Maybe... they need extra motor sales :)

Interesting thoughts you have there mate....

I don't have a logger but I do have an amp meeter. I get max amp at 74amp but I can't log what the motors do as they run.

forescott
06-08-2010, 11:42 PM
What about the scientific "finger for 5 seconds" to the back of the motor test? does it pass it well?
i do have a temp gun, but I usually dont use it unless something feels unusually hot! Passed the 15-second test!

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
it has nothing to do with what i'm running vs his set-up
you and your pals said thats not the way to do it ....period...(joe)

It had everything to do with that. If I remember right, you said something like Ekos on 4s like butter. It seemed to get us all in an uproar. By the way where did I say you needed a logger to run a boat in that thread? I use the touch method or temp gun all the time.

Team Jericho
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
You said you are running with 2 x 4S , 4500 mAh Lipos? How the heck can you close the hatch? At the hobby shop I tried fitting 4Ss into my EKOS but the hatch did not come close to being shut, so I stuck with 3S. What Lipo brand are you using please?

vasy
06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
You said you are running with 2 x 4S , 4500 mAh Lipos? How the heck can you close the hatch? At the hobby shop I tried fitting 4Ss into my EKOS but the hatch did not come close to being shut, so I stuck with 3S. What Lipo brand are you using please?

You will not believe: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10869

He bought this battery before measuring the space. It did not fit as you said.
had to rip out the battery mounting tray as well as remove the hard case and wrap the battery in one layer of duct tape. :rockon2:
After had to play with up to mm mounting position but found one that just fits.
Still touches the lid just a bit but not enough pressure to stop the tape from holding on. :bounce:

VIKOS
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I removed the foam from the hatch anyways 3s lipos fit fine and I'm sure 4S will too..depends on which kind you get actually to be honest.

forescott
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I use 4s 3600mah turnigys. Oh yes, remove the foam in the hatch!

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
It had everything to do with that. If I remember right, you said something like Ekos on 4s like butter. It seemed to get us all in an uproar. By the way where did I say you needed a logger to run a boat in that thread? I use the touch method or temp gun all the time.

STEVE THATS WHY I KEEP SAYING IT........
UNTILL IT STOPS WORKING I'M GUNNA KEEP IT OUT THERE.
AND IF I REMEMBER IT WAS THE MARGARITA MORON AND A FEW OTHERS
THAT KEPT SHOOTING THERE MOUTH OFF...
YOU DIDN'T WANT ANY INFO OR OFFER INPUT EIHTER, JUST WORRIED IF I
WAS GOING TO SEND ANY BODY INTO A 4s COMA AND I HAD NO ISSUE
WITH THAT,I'M NOT THERE FATHER.I JUST GAVE THE FACTS :Peace_Sign:

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I use 4s 3600mah turnigys. Oh yes, remove the foam in the hatch!

AGAIN FORESCOTT BEAT ME TO IT....
DLG POWER 4s 5000MAH..........EBAY.........$200.00 FOR 4 SHIPPED

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
lol you sure you don't work for venom?

wondered when someone was going to ask that...lol

Rumdog
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Lose the attitude and the caps lock buddy. Keep plugging Venom till your boat goes up in smoke, which it will. At that point you may have holes burned thru the hull along with some nifty stains and a putrid smell. 4s is a bad idea. I dont care what you say. Ask anyone else who has done it. Look around the net, not just here. The quality of the electronis is terrible. Definately not suited for 4s as well. Even if they were great, still not 4s motors. Name calling will get you nowhere around here. If Steven Vacarro along with other FE experts are telling you it's a bad idea Why even risk it? You'd trust Venom's hype over them? Good luck with that.

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
attitude..you should talk.....
all you guys do is give attitude and tear down,
look back at the posts
and like i said when and if it happens its on me..i won't go
pointing and blame others.

crabstick
06-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Valium anyone? :laugh:

Rumdog
06-09-2010, 10:21 PM
That's right, It's a collective battle. All of OSE vs. YOU.

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Valium anyone? :laugh:

BINGO :hug1:

SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE MORE RELAXED OVER IN NEW ZEALAND

scubasteve95
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Stop your bringing me to tears...boo who who...

FighterCat57
06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
The EKOS section should be called the dungeon. Good lord.

Running an EKOS on 4s is attainable and 50+ is as well. Running motors that are setup for 4s and changing the stinger bearings to high speed ceramic or hybrid ceramic and changing the drives and couplers.

Why do I say all the drives? Because the stock ones are prone to breakage and losing props/shafts sucks.

Nothing like looking at a nice shiny wheel collar only to find that the shaft broke and the prop/dog/nut are all gone.

OK; Some high speed parts:

Octura Couplers- Good Stuff
Jeff's Set Screw Couplers- Good Stuff, lots of aluminum diameter to give the set screws good bite and allow the loc-tite to prevent them from coming loose.

Jeff's wire drives- Best on the planet. World record holding technology, available to you. Get a pair, they'll last a lifetime.

Boca Bearings- Ceramic or Hybrid, replace the stock stinger bearings before they go out. They will chew out the stinger and then you'll have to replace the entire stinger. YUCK!

Stock numbers for ultra seal hybrid;
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=189739&postcount=63

With new 540 size motors designed for 4s, I now run 4s, 2700Kv, 32mm plastic props and reach 55+ on the stock ESC's. Here's a few vids: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14718

NOTE* the high Kv requires a small prop and high RPM bearings, smaller Kv (1800 or so) is recommended for 4s in order to use more efficient props at the right RPM.

Good luck & Happy Boating!

Steven Vaccaro
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
FighterCat57 thanks for getting us back on track!

VIKOS
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I think the reason or one of the motors die is that the bearings are crap. I posted the other day how when I removed the motors it was tuff as hell to get one of the shafts to turn..it had some resistance on it which would burn up a motor from not easily turning. Check your motors for free play all stock driven EKOS. if so make sure to lube with electrical spray cleaner and lubricant...still waiting on shaft and stuff. once they come she'll be in the water the next day for sure...

C-Mac
06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Can you run 5-6S on 10XL's?

FighterCat57
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Can you run 5-6S on 10XL's?

380 or 540 size?

From what I know, 380- no, 540- yes.

vasy
06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
The boat friend has is setup with 2 x 380 10xl at 2352kv so lets do the math:
2352kv * 22.2v = 52214 rpm, not good for a motor with bearings rated at 50k but will be good enough for a youtube video and a gps reading once (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14896).
2352kv * 18.5v = 43512 rpm, a little high but at least below the rating. Probably best restricted to SAW runs if you don't like the smell of burned electronics.
2352kv * 14.8v = 34809 rpm, seems to run happy all day long so far at least :)

VIKOS
06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Actually 5s on 10xl isn't unheard of. So your saying on say 32 mm props 4s on stock motors will work since there so small. This may be what solves the burn up issues. Are the stinger bearings the bearings inside the strut and if greased often how do they fail with the use of blue marine grease. Which I use. I'd like to get ceramic anyways due to heat tolerance.

vasy
06-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Actually 5s on 10xl isn't unheard of. So your saying on say 32 mm props 4s on stock motors will work since there so small. This may be what solves the burn up issues. Are the stinger bearings the bearings inside the strut and if greased often how do they fail with the use of blue marine grease. Which I use. I'd like to get ceramic anyways due to heat tolerance.

He is running 4s on 40mm props and will be going to Octura x442 counter rotating.

FighterCat57
06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
There seems to be some co-ordination of motor failures and stinger color. Like perhaps a batch of the newer boats with the black stingers and the side rails on the battery box.

Seems the success stories I see are using the model with the aluminum color stingers.

Just an observation. Could be way out there and unrelated.

BTW- I run the HK 36-56 inrunners on 4s with 32mm props, not the stock motors.

forescott
06-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm gonna run my 32mm venom props with my new wire drives on my 9xl's to see what kind of speed I get. I used to get 49mph with these props on the old flex cables. Want to see if I get any increase in speed with the wire drives. Love the 32mm props because the motors run really cool on them!

VIKOS
06-14-2010, 01:48 AM
you'd think there woudn't be a difference due to 36mm but I could be wrong to tell you the truth.

LarrysDrifter
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I have the same props,esc's and lipos. But run the 9xl with neutral strut at 55.2mph on garmin gps. FYI Just for comparison.

What batterys do you run in your EKOS with the 9xl's?Id like to run 4s with the option to run 5s if possible but dont know what motor will handle how many cells.

VIKOS
06-15-2010, 08:55 PM
What on earth are the stingers. Your not talking bout the strut are you. Or the bearings in the struts for example. Or the motors lol sorry gave to know. Hear this term alot.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 09:02 PM
What on earth are the stingers. Your not talking bout the strut are you. Or the bearings in the struts for example. Or the motors lol sorry gave to know. Hear this term alot.

Stinger:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/small__01_04_2007_15_57_speedmaster_stinger_drives .JPG

Strut:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/sport-21-round_small.JPG

VIKOS
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
exactly KOS have struts..are you guys converting it to stingers on this boat..??? but it looks like a stinger more than a strut to be honest..lol wonder why venom calls it a strut on there website.