PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Placement

RiverRat
10-06-2007, 06:19 PM

2165Its offical, I am the end over end sv king. Give me glass water and I still can make her do a cartwheel. This is the third time I have trashed a rudder and prop doing this.
The question is, Why is the rudder placed where it is? What would be the result if the rudder was, say a half an inch closer to the transom or maybe a tad farther away? Even without a crash I have had the prop clip the rudder. Which direction should I go if I make a new bracket?

Mich. Maniac
10-06-2007, 07:04 PM
since you put a larger prop on stock config you almost have to expect these things. You ARE the end over end king after all!LOL If your rudder is trashed maybe invest in a off-set rudder that could utilize stock holes. Or run a Carbon filled prop as to not damage rudder's. just a couple ideas. but man too bad it wasnt on video!

SJFE
10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Just take some of the throw out of that rudder. You really dont need to crank it over like that.

Fluid
10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
SJFE is right, most FE sport runners use too much rudder deflection. Unless you are running on very small water you should not be making 10-foot diameter turns at full speed. 3/8" deflection each way at the trailing edge of the rudder should be plenty, and less is better. Too much rudder is the cause of many handling problems - this isn't a Traxxas Blast guys. :doh:

C.Smock
10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
rudder throw should be set on a boat to boat/driver to driver basis.

if that happen by doing a cart wheel it would be because the rudder bracket flexed into the prop.

are you running a bigger prop than a stock SV? with a bigger prop and extra throw that would do it...

these pictures are of John McClure's (rcracing1) El Lobo 2 blown off at 57mph at saw's.

the forces on these boats when they blow off or cartwheel is phenomenal....

Rc1racing
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
And that was my good prop too. :roflol:
After the blow over it would only turn right in a circle. Wonder why??? LOL
But a blow over can flex the rudder stand off, like Casey said. I had a slight bend in the stand off and when it blew over it made it worse and twisted it into the prop. The force was very strong. I though I lost the boat at first. But it came back up.

Also those pics were after I twisted the rudder back in place. Here's one as it came out of the lake.

I wish I had a video of it. That was a good one.:buttrock:

C.Smock
10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
when making the new bracket i would keep it where it is supposed to be but make it out of stronger material,less likely. to flex or bend. what happed to your bracket river rat? did your bracket bend??

RiverRat
10-07-2007, 03:18 AM
The trim is set to very little movement. I could not make a tight turn if I wanted to the way its set.
C Smock is correct, This happened do to bending or flexing. Hard to believe the transome isnt cracked.
This run was on glass and produced good speed. Stock motor, 6cell batts, X642 prop = 39.2 mph.
My bracket is not bent and thinking the new one should be titanium.
My biggest concern is location. What will happen if the rudder is closer or farther away from the transom. Seems like a tad closer would not change the boats handling. If moved even 1/8" closer the prop would not have hit.
Thanks for all the info guys. Us newbies would be lost without you.

C.Smock
10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
i think if moved closer it would cause the backend of the boat to skip or bounce in the turns... if you took it back how far would you go?

RiverRat
10-08-2007, 01:57 AM
I am really to new at this to have a clue. Is why I was asking for input. Perhaps I will start with some shim plates and see what happens.

C.Smock
10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
sounds like a starting point to me.

H&MWill
10-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I am running an Octura X645 and not hitting at all. What prop are you running?