PDA

View Full Version : Did I fry my LiPos?

CinciKid
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I can't seem to charge my 2 lipo 3200mah batteries anymore, and I only used them twice! I use the Dynamite Passport LiPo/Life AC/DC Battery Charger, and when I plug up one of the battery and press the charge button, it flashes red and repeatedly beeps at me, in the manual it says it will do that when the balance plug isn't attached, but it is. The other battery just doesn't seem to register at all on the charger, I plug it up and push the button and it adjusts the cell size, like the battery isn't plugged in, and nothing happens, and the charger is only a few weeks old! Anybody got any ideas?

Doby
06-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Broken connectors on your balancing taps? On your power leads?
Is the balancer plug orientated the correct way?

Just some thoughts.

Fluid
06-03-2010, 10:46 AM
When you last ran the packs, what were they in? Did you run them down until the boat stopped? Do you have a voltage meter to measure the pack voltage? It is hard to tell if the problem is the cheap charger or the cells......

CinciKid
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
No broke lead that I can see on the outside, yes the balancer plug is oriented correctly. I last ran them in my BJ 26 and ran them until the boat stopped in the water, but it was close enough to reach from shore.

ED66677
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
If you ran until the boat stopped you probably damaged them!
get a voltmeter, and measure each cell on the balancing taps and on the power leads as well, get back with numbers!

CinciKid
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I confirmed my fears today, I either fryed them or they're soo drained they're done. I picked up some new batteries and they charged no problem, I switched my esc to 'Idle' instead of 'slow down' when the batteries get low, hopefully I don't burn out these new ones.

Eric Bourlet
06-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Never take the LiPos below 3volts per cell. Make sure you use a digital volt meter and check the cell voltages on the pack. If you don't have a DVM then don't run lipos. If you don't have a low voltage cutoff on your ESC you need to get one and make sure you set it to 3 volts per cell.

Diesel6401
06-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I keep these in my pocket at all times when running. I also try and carefully watch run times.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9282&Product_Name=Cell-Log_Cell_Voltage_Monitor_2-8S_Lipo (i didn't install in my boat i just plug my lipos in to checks exact voltage after each run, its very accurate when compared to my chargers and even my fluke meter.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html (this has a timer/stopwatch to moniter run times.)