PDA

View Full Version : Project 41" Sprintcat!

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Tracking just updated, the Sprintcat will be here today!

41" Sprintcat
Twin Neu/Castle 2200kv
Twin Turnigy 180 ESC
Twin 4mm Drive Struts w/counter rotating cables
Single 95mm Rudder

I'm not sure about motor mounts though, I just found out the mounts I was going to use don't work with the Neu/Castle 2200kv motors. Suggestions on water cooled mounts for the Neu/Castle finned motor would be greatly appreciated!

This should be one fast mofo! I can't wait to get it started! :bounce:

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Think I need a bigger rudder though.

Brushless55
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Right on, should be a sweet twin!

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Right on, should be a sweet twin!

Think I need to go up to a 140mm rudder or will a 95mm be OK?

95 is the same size as the 32" cats are using. I'm just thinking it might not be enough to turn it... The 57" cat uses a 170mm rudder which is way more than I need for the 41" hull.

forescott
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I doubt you'll need cooling for those motor mounts. The castles run super cool!! Cant wait to see it!

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I doubt you'll need cooling for those motor mounts. The castles run super cool!! Cant wait to see it!

Yeah, you're probably right, but caution never hurts! I have some simple mounts ready to go, but would prefer the water cooled setup. Maybe I'll epoxy and aluminum coil to it and call it water cooled!

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Holy Sh!t, this is a BIG BOAT!

It's as wide as my 57" cat.

I'm really starting to question the installation of the tiny CC/Neu 2200's in such a big hull!

I'm starting to think this hull needs more. A lot more. Like twin Little Screamers. Twin Monster 200's and 6 or 8- 6s battery packs in series parallel. Wow, that's over a grand.

Unless I'm wrong and the 2200's will push her, I think I went in over my head and budget on this one.

skellyo
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Perhaps Castle/Neu 1520's or 1717's instead of the 1515's?

Fluid
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
The biggest problem is the Kv of the motors. This size hull needs pretty big props and the little 2200 motors just won't spin them well. Two 1521/1.5D or equivalents on 4S each spinning x450s etc. will give better overall performance - but it depends on what you want from the boat. The above is the equivalent of an 8S single power-wise so there is plenty of power. Less expensive motors with similar KV and weight are certainly an option if cost is a factor.

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 11:26 AM

I'm really starting to question the installation of the tiny CC/Neu 2200's in such a big hull!

I'm starting to think this hull needs more. A lot more. Like twin Little Screamers. Twin Monster 200's and 6 or 8- 6s battery packs in series parallel. Wow, that's over a grand.

Unless I'm wrong and the 2200's will push her, I think I went in over my head and budget on this one.

Don't forget about the guy on youtube that has your big cat on twin 8XLs on 4s

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't forget about the guy on youtube that has your big cat on twin 8XLs on 4s

I was actually working on copying Rumdog's Sprintcat setup (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13976), but I think I got the hull size wrong and went too big? :o

If this is the same size as his hull then... well.... Kick ass! :rockon2:

So... right now... I don't know if I'm happy or sad just yet! :unsure:

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I was actually working on copying Rumdog's Sprintcat setup (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13976), but I think I got the hull size wrong and went too big? :o

I could be wrong, but to me it looks good for two 8XLs in a big cat
and the Castles should really wake it up! :rockon2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SdG4Kis9NA&feature=player_embedded

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
I could be wrong, but to me it looks good for two 8XLs in a big cat
and the Castles should really wake it up! :rockon2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SdG4Kis9NA&feature=player_embedded

Well then, perhaps it's game on! :banana:

I'm not racing it, just running it around in the ocean!

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Well then, perhaps it's game on! :banana:

I'm not racing it, just running it around in the ocean!

Get er done bro! :rockon2:
I'm still having a hard time deciding of either doing a twin Cat like your doing or a twin Hydro, That I don't think anyone has done yet..
I'm just having an issue letting go of the cash :crying:

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Get er done bro! :rockon2:
I'm still having a hard time deciding of either doing a twin Cat like your doing or a twin Hydro, That I don't think anyone has done yet..
I'm just having an issue letting go of the cash :crying:

Apparently I'm not. I can't seem to hold on to my cash this year!!

I'm certainly loving the twin cats. The mono cats are nice too. They just look really cool in the water and the twins sound awesome!

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Apparently I'm not. I can't seem to hold on to my cash this year!!

I'm certainly loving the twin cats. The mono cats are nice too. They just look really cool in the water and the twins sound awesome!

Batteries are whats going to suck for me.. 4 5s packs for one run.. :crying:
and I need more 2s packs for my other boats..

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Batteries are whats going to suck for me.. 4 5s packs for one run.. :crying:
and I need more 2s packs for my other boats..

Yeah, I'm having an issue with that myself. Although the Zippy 10s 30c packs are looking like a great deal!

I usually get 6s packs and break them up how I want them.

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Some photos of the hull

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Some measurements and a comparison to the Genesis

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Haven't decided if red or blue, with black on white.

Not sure how I'm going to seal the rear of the hull yet. There's a few ways. Might just glue in some fiberglass and fill it.

Xfactor
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Someone finally brought that hull its a hotr 41 right?

Brushless55
Some photos of the hull

I'm thinking of this hull but the painted Arrow Shark Tsunami version

Xfactor
I tried to get someone to get that hull for the screamer no one bit.

FighterCat57
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking of this hull but the painted Arrow Shark Tsunami version

Yeah. I should have gotten mine painted. I'm totally not a painter. :o

FighterCat57
06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Time to start thinking about a paint scheme. I'm thinking royal/bright metallic blue. Probably some white, I'll spray on the white the gelcoat just doesn't brighten up, even with coats of clear.

I have some black and silver to accent with as well as black, silver and white pin striping to work with.

Suggestions? Photos? Links?

bustitup
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM

rumdogs sprint is 34.5 inches but it is "called a sprintcat 40"

bustitup
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
just a sugestion

two scorpion 4035 outrunners with 1070kv will push your hull with ease...and there only $180 each and jim will give you a 6% discount

Make-a-Wake
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Some measurements and a comparison to the Genesis

My word!................thats hull is a whopper!:thumbup:

FighterCat57
06-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Well... for now... it's going twin 4s 2200kv CC/Neu W/T180's.

Still waiting on large 40c lipos to get down in cost, about to where 20c packs are now before going big.

If this setup doesn't please, then I can always go bigger. No harm in starting with small props and working my way up to 45-50ish MPH.

Right now... I'm working on paint! One thing at a time. =)

forescott
06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Great choice! That should be a reliable setup. What prop choices do you have?

FighterCat57
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Great choice! That should be a reliable setup. What prop choices do you have?

I have a couple pairs of CR props...
Of course the 32 & 36 Venom Props
and carbon Graupner 40's and 45's.

I doubt I'll get to the 45's, but good to try. We'll see.

FighterCat57
06-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Picked up some white appliance epoxy paint. I was planning on starting with a white base coat this time already, so worked out good.

Still haven't decided on the color scheme. I have two tones of blue though that might work out well together. I've been thinking about adding in a bright yellow... but still unsure. Maybe I'll draw a mock up and color it in to see. No hurry on this one, so why not. Maybe take some time for a computer generated enhanced photo.

Xfactor
06-13-2010, 09:15 AM
This boat is bigger that rums u know that dont you? Id expect you props to be at least 450's . How bout 2 leopard 4074 1050 kv i think 75 dollars a piece. I also saw a twin setup 2 motors 2 stingers rt and lt cable for 95.00 .

Xfactor
06-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Or one sceramer on 14s two would be overkill kill @20kw.alot of weight too. I think we sometimes forget about hp to weight ratio.Im sure a lighter twin setup will give u less stress if i was going the scorpion route id go 4035 800's @9kw thats plenty but here again what are your battery requirements . People would tell you no ;but I had one 17xl kb45 700 loved this boat and thought many times of buying another kb and running twins in your exact boat. They cost 40.00 . Some on here have had bad experiences and some have had really good.Now some that had bad had wrong setups too. I asked all the questions to find out.Now the one I had pushed my 43 inch 12.5 lb circus hull between 30-35 on 9s on 9s! No water cooling 1p. Now anyone with sense should be able to estimate 2 on 12 s come on. They can push a 450 @ 12s under 150 amps so keep hatin on the kb if you want.They complain about heat,high current draw,bad balancing I experienced none of the above; but look at the physical construction of the motors like the feigao and kb compared to say a pletti,neu,or lehner. Forget even trying to go deep; lets just stay basic. The cans on the chinese motors have no cooling vents .Add some.The wires on the chinese motors are typically longer and smaller.If you cant replace them with bigger (on some inrunners that might be challenging;outrunners not so much) cut them shorter and add better connectors.As far as the balance the new kb's come with high quality american, yes american bearings.If that were a problem;change the bearings. Lastly youre gonna water cool it ,you can fan cool it,and you can peltier cool it. Its all hype to me dawg You wont even need all that crap.Lastly if they pull alot of usable amps with a kv of 700 they should be torque monsters.Oh let me add the esc was a turnigy 80 hv buth think about it its rate 180 10 second amp burst 10 full seconds count it out thats a good bit of time. If you pull more than probably 120-130 amps continuous on the kb its probably over-propped.To keep from burning you truly need data logging on anything.

Xfactor
06-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh my bad my friend.

Xfactor
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Ive seen that vid footage and yeah he really does have a small light setup pushing that boat pretty well. 45-55 is good speed though.

forescott
06-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I would be concerned about those castle motors overpowering the 4mm hardware.

Brushless55
06-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Picked up some white appliance epoxy paint. I was planning on starting with a white base coat this time already, so worked out good.

Still haven't decided on the color scheme. I have two tones of blue though that might work out well together. I've been thinking about adding in a bright yellow... but still unsure. Maybe I'll draw a mock up and color it in to see. No hurry on this one, so why not. Maybe take some time for a computer generated enhanced photo.

What's the benefit of using appliance paint?

FighterCat57
06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I would be concerned about those castle motors overpowering the 4mm hardware.

Yeah, me too. I have a backup plan. 4mm 078 wire drives. :thumbup1:

Jeff has me addicted to the wire drives. No left right BS and they seem indestructible.

What's the benefit of using appliance paint?

Tiqueman was explaining earlier in another thread about the benefit of the epoxy bond to the gelcoat. Basically using it as a primer to help prevent chipping. Sand it and "anything will stick to it". See my Generic 32" cat thread for details. :smile:

forescott
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, me too. I have a backup plan. 4mm 078 wire drives. :thumbup1:

Jeff has me addicted to the wire drives. No left right BS and they seem indestructible.

Ahh yes! Wire drives! I just installed a set on the ekos a couple of days ago. Have'nt run it yet but the props spin sooo smoothly!

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
OK, so I said WTF and ordered TWIN Little Screamers, TWIN Monster 200's and 6 - 6-cell lipo packs (12s/3p).

This mutha is gunna haul. No more power worries.

Rumdog
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
holy shi***!!!!! Uh yeah, thats gonna fly! Hope they fit! They are HUGE!!

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Dremel and epoxy, these bitches are going in. :rockon2:

bustitup
06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Nice
All great gear except the monsters......I would have waited for the swordfish for two reasons
#1- the reviews are horrible on the esc's and no warrantee
#2- swordfish handles More amps and you get OSE service

Yes you have to wait for the swordfish to get in stock but you have a lot of work ahead of you to rig the boat and paint before u need the esc

Jmho of course

OK, so I said WTF and ordered TWIN Little Screamers, TWIN Monster 200's and 6 - 6-cell lipo packs (12s/3p).

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Nice
All great gear except the monsters......I would have waited for the swordfish for two reasons
#1- the reviews are horrible on the esc's and no warrantee
#2- swordfish handles More amps and you get OSE service

Yes you have to wait for the swordfish to get in stock but you have a lot of work ahead of you to rig the boat and paint before u need the esc

Jmho of course

So, why can't I order them when they come in and use these for setup? :confused2:

bustitup
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Of course. They will fit...Eric has two in the 41 falcon cat and its the same exact bottom hull

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
:bounce:

Rumdog
06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
OHH, I thought he had Scorps, Bustit. Randy Naylor has had luck with the Monster 200 running the Lil'screamers.

Brod
06-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Like your thinking:rockon2:

always enjoy your threads...

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 05:19 PM
OHH, I thought he had Scorps, Bustit. Randy Naylor has had luck with the Monster 200 running the Lil'screamers.

That combination was recommended to me more than once... So I figured... Why the hell not. If I'm going to build this beast, why not make it a real beast. 6- 6s packs should power the pair nicely.

Jeff's 078 wire drives should put the power to the props nicely too.

I'll have to do some figuring on the prop size though... This hull size and motor combo are all new to me. 650Kv and 12s = 28k RPM, so perhaps a 55mm prop is a good starting point.

Any way you look at it, beefing up the electronics should make this a fun project for sure!!!

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Like your thinking:rockon2:

always enjoy your threads...

Thanks. I know, I'm a little nutz. :biggrin:

bustitup
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Oops your right rummy...I misread his thread

Fightercat Roger what I posted.....thought. u were getting scorps
I have no experience with littlescreamers but they r bigger than the 4035 scorps

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Oops your right rummy...I misread his thread

Fightercat Roger what I posted.....thought. u were getting scorps
I have no experience with littlescreamers but they r bigger than the 4035 scorps

What does that mean? :confused2:

Are you saying you don't know if they will fit? I don't know either. I'm about to break out the hull and find out myself. Kinda bought them on a whim. :tongue_smilie:

Got a little power hungry and tossed some money at it. I would have picked up the Swordfish HV's, but wasn't a back order option or ETA available. Hell, they might come in before HK the way they have been shipping orders lately. In which case, I will order them anyway. :roflol:

BTW- I don't know anything about the scorpion motors.

I need two motor mounts though! Any suggestions?

bustitup
06-14-2010, 06:37 PM
have you not read this thread?
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13819

when I read what you are using in your build I misread and thought you where using the scorpion 4035 800kv motorsbut I now see you are using the littlescreamers 650kv motors........

read our build of the 41" falcon cat and realize that the bottom of the falcon cat is a "splash" or copy of your 41" hull

as far as where to get scorpion motors check with steve first ..if he cant get them for you I will show you were we got ours....there are alot more people using scorpions than little screamers

What does that mean? :confused2:

Are you saying you don't know if they will fit? I don't know either. I'm about to break out the hull and find out myself. Kinda bought them on a whim. :tongue_smilie:

Got a little power hungry and tossed some money at it. I would have picked up the Swordfish HV's, but wasn't a back order option or ETA available. Hell, they might come in before HK the way they have been shipping orders lately. In which case, I will order them anyway. :roflol:

BTW- I don't know anything about the scorpion motors.

I need two motor mounts though! Any suggestions?

Brushless55
06-14-2010, 06:44 PM
have you not read this thread?
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13819

when I read what you are using in your build I misread and thought you where using the scorpion 4035 800kv motorsbut I now see you are using the littlescreamers 650kv motors........

read our build of the 41" falcon cat and realize that the bottom of the falcon cat is a "splash" or copy of your 41" hull

as far as where to get scorpion motors check with steve first ..if he cant get them for you I will show you were we got ours....there are alot more people using scorpions than little screamers

Wish the Falcon had a different lid :confused2:

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
This hull was part of a trade deal of a whole bunch of stuff and I'm kinda not liking the size of it. I didn't expect it to be as big as it is. I'm sure it will be great when it's done, but doesn't fit in the trunk of the car (convertable) and takes up quite a bit of bench space, so isn't as practical as I would like.

I just measured and there's just over 60mm of space to get into the sponsons in the hull. It will be tight for sure, but doable. Might flex the hull a bit to squeeze them in.

I still don't know what I'm going to do for a color scheme. Blue and white for sure. Maybe two tone, but not sure how and where the colors are going to go.

I did read the Falcon cat thread, but didn't know it was the same hull till you mentioned it. I already ordered the screamers from Steve, so probably not the time to talk about which motor, more like how to get the most out of these.

I annoy Steve enough with combining and changing my orders after they are placed. =)

Unless there's a big problem with running a pair of little screamers on 12s, then that's what the build is going to be.

Looks like I'll be making my own motor mounts. I do have some nice pieces of 4" aluminum structural angle.

Rumdog
06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
X455 would be a good place to start on props. You MAY want some 1/4" cables though. As Jeff if he thinks his wires will handle your setup though. If the fit, It WILL work. I'm sure you can make them fit though.

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
X455 would be a good place to start on props. You MAY want some 1/4" cables though. As Jeff if he thinks his wires will handle your setup though. If the fit, It WILL work. I'm sure you can make them fit though.

Sounds perfect. I haven't finalized the drives, just the rudder, so may upgrade from what I was planning on using with the CC/Neu setup. The little screamers are just a bit more powerful I presume.

So I guess we'll see what Jeff has to recommend as this is the biggest setup I've done yet.

FighterCat57
06-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I've got Randy at BBY working on motor mounts. =)

Xfactor
06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
x...

Dear x...

I do appreciate your responses, however one might consider reading the complete thread as to compose more informed and up to date statements. :hug1:

As a quick refresher; The parts in hand are: Twin T180a ESC's, 2200Kv CC/Neu's, 4mm drive struts, 16cm rudder, 190 oz/in steering servo (for push/pull) and a 41" sprintcat hull.

The only concern is the size of the hull and Rum's Sprintcat is a .40 which is about 7 inches shorter, but much smaller over all. I didn't check on hull sizing when I went to follow his awesome setup. There was a twin prop 55" Arrow Shark vid floating around that is re-assuring as it has the same motor CC/Neu setup and looked good.

The Turnigy 180a ESC's I have get hot in the smaller setups, so pulled out a "Plan B" for additional ESC cooling if needed. The speed goal for this project is quite conservative at 45mph and should do that well on 4s.

Right now, I'm just curious about the color scheme. White base, Blue on Blue accents with silver or black pinstriping. Possibly some yellow highlights.

Maybe I'll break out the hull later and get some more photos to bring into photo shop.
So you WERE considering other motors, HMM.:confused1:

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 04:13 AM
It's amazing sometimes what one can do on a whim. I was going to buy another hull setup completely. So just found a smaller one more suited for the CC/Neu setup and bigger electronics for this guy. =)

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Sounds perfect. I haven't finalized the drives, just the rudder, so may upgrade from what I was planning on using with the CC/Neu setup. The little screamers are just a bit more powerful I presume.

So I guess we'll see what Jeff has to recommend as this is the biggest setup I've done yet.

Yep, gotta go bigger on the struts... for that kind of power. Time to shop around. I don't have anything else that large to standardize from.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Or one sceramer on 14s two would be overkill kill @20kw.alot of weight too. I think we sometimes forget about hp to weight ratio.Im sure a lighter twin setup will give u less stress if i was going the scorpion route id go 4035 800's @9kw thats plenty but here again what are your battery requirements . People would tell you no ;but I had one 17xl kb45 700 loved this boat and thought many times of buying another kb and running twins in your exact boat. They cost 40.00 . Some on here have had bad experiences and some have had really good.Now some that had bad had wrong setups too. I asked all the questions to find out.Now the one I had pushed my 43 inch 12.5 lb circus hull between 30-35 on 9s on 9s! No water cooling 1p. Now anyone with sense should be able to estimate 2 on 12 s come on. They can push a 450 @ 12s under 150 amps so keep hatin on the kb if you want.They complain about heat,high current draw,bad balancing I experienced none of the above; but look at the physical construction of the motors like the feigao and kb compared to say a pletti,neu,or lehner. Forget even trying to go deep; lets just stay basic. The cans on the chinese motors have no cooling vents .Add some.The wires on the chinese motors are typically longer and smaller.If you cant replace them with bigger (on some inrunners that might be challenging;outrunners not so much) cut them shorter and add better connectors.As far as the balance the new kb's come with high quality american, yes american bearings.If that were a problem;change the bearings. Lastly youre gonna water cool it ,you can fan cool it,and you can peltier cool it. Its all hype to me dawg You wont even need all that crap.Lastly if they pull alot of usable amps with a kv of 700 they should be torque monsters.Oh let me add the esc was a turnigy 80 hv buth think about it its rate 180 10 second amp burst 10 full seconds count it out thats a good bit of time. If you pull more than probably 120-130 amps continuous on the kb its probably over-propped.To keep from burning you truly need data logging on anything.

So you're sayin 1 screamer is overkill... Hmmm. I guess two is over killed over?

Really, is two screamers w/batteries too much weight for this hull? Cells weigh in at just under 4000 grams. They are big.

How do I determine the weight capacity for a hull?

Mmmm. Questions.

Rumdog
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
if it floats, it's fine

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
if it floats, it's fine

Ah. Logic! :thumbup1:

Brod
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Got to remember,these hulls were originally designed for gas single motors.
The motor,pipe and full 500cc fuel tank etc would probably weigh about 2700g.
I would be wary of going alot heavier with FE power in case of stability/performace differances at speed.
with a modded gas motor 65mph would be acheived quite easily.
But unless its done and tried,dont really know what would happen.:Praying:

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Figured gassers would weigh more. There's still another 2000 grams for the motors and another 600 for the ESC's... plus stuff...

Lipos are heavy!

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Maybe I should get a bigger hull?

Brod
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
If it was my hull,i would run one motor on 10S,it wouldnt be too heavy then and still be very quick.
Seem to remember a guy running a scorpion motor in a similar hull?? and it was very succesful.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
If it was my hull,i would run one motor on 10S,it wouldnt be too heavy then and still be very quick.
Seem to remember a guy running a scorpion motor in a similar hull?? and it was very succesful.

Hey, then I could get another hull and build two of them!

I guess it isn't such a bad idea to try to run a single and if it doesn't work out well, then go to double?

I'm still stuck on the twin cats though...

So many ideas! Wonder exactly how this will turn out now!

Brod
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Been there done that,classic case of too many boats lol..

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's all going to good use somehow. Just a question of how and when. =)

forescott
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe I should skip it on this idea all together and go back to using the CC/Neu motor combination and put the twin screamers in my 57" Fighter Cat.

Thats what I was thinkin!! Do it!! :popcorn2:

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Thats what I was thinkin!! Do it!! :popcorn2:

Really, I'm not in any hurry to determine what to put in it. I've managed to thoroughly confuse myself by buying some new electronics on a whim though.

There's many ways I can go with this boat right now. If I can't figure it out in the next few days, I'll setup a forum poll and let the boating audience decide...

Basically, I'm deciding how to paint it first, then I'll decide how to power it. :thumbup1:

Black, Blue, Red, Silver and White are my colors. Might not use any red though.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Some photos of the bare hull, top and side. Time to think about how to lay it out.

Rumdog
06-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I would run a single LS in that hull. Easy to rig, and PLENTY of power!

Xfactor
06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
if it floats, it's fine
Fighter cat not to disprove anyone but you need to consider the weight of a 2 LS setup as well as cost and a few other things. As far as esc anyone considering a turnigy m2000 youre better off saving yourself all the diy time modifying the airplane esc to boat and buy a swordfish 240 .Not only that the swordfish has the pc link . You can set all the timings as well as perform firware updates.An extremely valuable tool!Some of you guys are good with code so imagine the possibilities having a usb link on board to the mpu of the swordfish. Steve you better go on and stock up.Oh I almost forgot FIGHTER get you a 2cap banks from Steve TOO!

Xfactor
06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27927&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1276648419 (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27927&d=1276648419)
This is one of the ideas:
NO DAWG! put some color on that boat my friend thats horrible.Rip graphics or a guise of some sort how about MISS OVERKILL?Keep the turbine exhaust metallic .And the windshield black.

forescott
06-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see dual castle 1520's on 6s. Its only money!!

forescott
06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
A dual screamer setup in that fighter cat would be one-of-a-kind! You could incorperate the twin screamer name in your paint scheme!! It would be awesome!

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 09:15 PM
A dual screamer setup in that fighter cat would be one-of-a-kind! You could incorperate the twin screamer name in your paint scheme!! It would be awesome!

I'm really leaning towards doing that. It would make this hull way too heavy IMO, 6 lbs heavier than the Fighter Cat...

Need some photo ideas for painting the sprint cat.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 10:19 PM
OK, so the turbine get's Chrome or Silver?

I think I'm going to tape off the bottom and spray the entire top in the bright metallic blue Except for the Window and the Turbine. The turbine opening will be black, like the window.

I'll spray on a white stripe like swoosh on the front of the tips of the sponsons for effect.

I think that does it.

Oh and BTW- I'm basically sold on the idea of twin Little Screamers in the Fighter Cat. I'm going to shoot for the moon with the CC/Neu's in this hull and if they fall short... well, we'll address it then. I'm going to prop it small and spin up the 2200Kv's with two 4s 40c packs and hope for the best!

Wow, it's almost like this whole thread didn't happen... or kinda did, but didn't. I love full circles.

For tomorrow... PAINT!! (Are ya dizzy from reading all this yet? ) I am.

Rumdog
06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
You paint first? I find it easier to build, tear down then paint. No way to muck up the paint job while building.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
You paint first? I find it easier to build, tear down then paint. No way to muck up the paint job while building.

I dunno. I'm new to this. :confused2:

I was thinking it would be best to get the gel coat covered before it got full of hand oils and stuff from being handled...

Perhaps I'll just get the epoxy base coat on and then get to work on the hardware installation.

FighterCat57
06-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Rum- What 540 series motor mounts would you use in the sponsons? I've got a pair of basic mounts, but nothing to support the tail of the motor, think it's necessary to support it or not?

Rumdog
06-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I used these:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-drmount No need to support the rear, they're not too heavy.

Xfactor
06-16-2010, 07:15 AM
About weight: The further it sits down in the water from plane the more initial work or surge the boat has to produce to get it up on step. In theory a bigger hull has more bouyancy will sit higher in the water with the same weight inside and will see less difference between rest an on plane status which would result in an easier time to get it up on step. Two LS-ers in the 57 inch boat sounds more reasonable, and less likely to put unduly strain on your batteries and esc's.Weight does matter for one thing it floating @ rest doesnt mean that it wont torpedo and go under water under power . Look at the bowline on the hull and just think for a moment.If weight didnt matter id be running 4 s in my atlas.Sometimes we look so hard to disprove we cant see the obvious.

Xfactor
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Truthfully I dont think you know what you want Fighter you just have money to:flashfire:.

Xfactor
06-16-2010, 07:31 AM
3 or 4 boats on threads no real pics of construction or video will you ever finish one? You may need to go one project at a time my friend. How much advice can you get before you actually build something.If this pisses you off good do something besides type on this freakin computer lol.Get your hands in the game my boy.

forescott
06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Personally, I dont care how many projects you have going or when you finish them. I enjoy reading your threads, and live vicariously through some of your builds! If I was retired and had the extra time, I'd be on here all the time!

crabstick
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh Xfactor.... stirring the pot again :olleyes:

Take your time Fightercat.. good things come to those who wait!!

I have more projects than I can shake a stick at in various states of completion, sometimes other things get in the way like ....LIFE, Work etc ! Having my first child shortly so will have even less time!

forescott
06-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Oh Xfactor.... stirring the pot again :olleyes:

Take your time Fightercat.. good things come to those who wait!!

I have more projects than I can shake a stick at in various states of completion, sometimes other things get in the way like ....LIFE, Work etc ! Having my first child shortly so will have even less time!

Congrats crabstick! I had my first little man just 7-weeks ago.

crabstick
06-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Cheers man, Congrats on your arrival also! we have around 7 weeks to go.

FighterCat57
06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok, today was time for paint... well, primer epoxy coat anyway!

It's still white... for now.

I think the bright metallic blue will look really nice on this hull.

Xfactor
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I was only kidding around with u gee wiz.LOL

FighterCat57
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
That's called back pedaling... :olleyes:

This is called a base coat. It's ready for a light wet sanding and then some more colors.

A window, some stripes and air intakes... I have a nice silver for the turbine.

Brushless55
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM

This is called a base coat. It's ready for a light wet sanding and then some more colors.

That is going to looks sweet with clear! :rockon2:

Xfactor
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM

I prefer the moonwalk.

crabstick
06-18-2010, 05:44 AM
are you going to have a sub hatch to make the boat watertight and then just o-ring the cowl on or do full tape down cowl?

Jeff Wohlt
06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Careful sanding metallic...it can screw it up. My auto clear is always shot on before the base coat is dry. I will have one shot in the next week or so. I used the same as my F150...dark metallic blue and silver metallic. Should look nice.

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 09:02 AM
I prefer the moonwalk.

Well done. :laugh:

are you going to have a sub hatch to make the boat watertight and then just o-ring the cowl on or do full tape down cowl?

That is a very cool idea. Haven't thought of that before. Wheels are spinning.

Careful sanding metallic...it can screw it up. My auto clear is always shot on before the base coat is dry. I will have one shot in the next week or so. I used the same as my F150...dark metallic blue and silver metallic. Should look nice.

I was looking at that and I'm really glad you mentioned that before I did the sanding. I guess I will go ahead and get a coat of clear on this morning. I was going to last night, but it started to rain.

I'm still having trouble thinking of where to add color. I certainly am not a pro painter, so it's tricky to find what I can do that still looks good. Simple things that add a lot of character.

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
That is going to looks sweet with clear! :rockon2:

The Clear Effex has multi-color metallic, which will be the first clear coat.

Then probably 6-7 clear coats with sanding.

I'm digging the epoxy paint... thinking about doing the inside of the hull with it. Would add to the weight though. Thick stuff.

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Clear on, is that like more on?

First coat of clear done. Headed out for the second.

Might just get some black vinyl and do the window and air intakes that way. After today's clear dries I'll get the silver on the turbine.

Anybody have a photo link to a nice blue sprint cat style boat (real or model) ?

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM
OK, here goes! She's ready for a good wet sanding, some pin striping, decals and for the final "Wet" coat of clear.

It fell off of the paint stand and hit the concrete, paint side down. :doh:

Just a little windy from the east for a change, so didn't have my make shift paint stand pointing the right way to withstand the extra wind.

Oh well, did some touch up and it is more difficult to find the affected areas now.

They are in the photos and I can see them. We'll see how well I hid them. =)

Decided to go black on the sides rather than two tone blue. I didn't think the second blue I had was enough lighter to warrant a good two tone, so went the other way with the offset and darkened it up. Covered it with Clear Effex to get a good sparkle out of it.

More sparkle in the photos than in person. Much more.

DISAR
06-18-2010, 02:43 PM
nice job!

Fluid
06-18-2010, 08:21 PM
More sparkle in the photos than in person. Much more.
Dyslexic attack? :confused1:

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Dyslexic attack? :confused1:

Perhaps.

What I meant to say is: There is more sparkling metal flakes in the photo than I can see in person. I don't see all the red, purple, green and other fancy colors, seems the lens picks up a wider spectrum of color.

I just see some metallic sparkle like automotive paint.

FighterCat57
06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Where's the beef?

Brod
06-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Amazing what a bit of paint can do,looks cool Fighter.
Plenty of room for twins by the looks of it.

FighterCat57
06-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Amazing what a bit of paint can do,looks cool Fighter.
Plenty of room for twins by the looks of it.

Oh yeah. Not bad and the final boat is going to be relatively light, so I'm confident that the Twin Castle setup will giddy up and go.

This morning's paint... I hate detail work. Really. I don't like decals, pinstripe or taping...

Thanks to a chunk of paint peeling off (I slipped and it ripped) I now have a faux hull hatch. Complete with hatch lock decals. Did the drivers window too. Nothing extremely detailed... I was contemplating even doing the window.

I found a brushless power decal to cover the air intake. Figured it was appropriate.

Heh... and I just noticed the hatch striping is pulling up. :doh:

FighterCat57
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Overall... not bad for a rattle can. Going to let it bake in the sun today.

Jedi Master
06-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Looking good, can't wait to see it get wet!!:rockon2:

FighterCat57
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
It's a Soooooooooooooper Dooooooooooooooper cooling heatsink!

I figured since I had the room and the extra heat sink just calling my name that I would machine it down to fit. The heatsink is an aluminum hard drive heat sink that weighs 150 grams. It's really light and already had the underside coated with thermal adhesive.

I trimmed it down and drilled it out to accept the stock mounting points with no ESC modification at all. Just 4 screws hold it on the ESC. I added a bit of PC Thermal grease to help heat transfer and made sure the thermal pad was touching both the FETs and the heatsink.

Since the rudder pickup is 1/4", I'll use the largest water tubes I can fit inbetween the fins. I have some thermal epoxy ready to go. I'll strip down the coating on the aluminum to make sure the tubing has good contact.

I'm either psycho paranoid or this will work out to be a nice cool setup. :thumbup1:

There's room for plenty of airflow if fans are necessary I can add them later. The brackets keep the ESC's up in the air and allow them to be placed anywhere along the stringers with enough room for two 4 cell packs under them.

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Like the esc idea. It took long enough to get hardware in the boat maybe well see it run in 2010 after all.:popcorn2:have some.

Brushless55
06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Very cool idea!

forescott
06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
X-factor =:hornets_nest: Play nice!!

FighterCat57
06-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Very cool idea!

Well, one thing is for sure, it WILL dissipate a lot of heat! :w00t:

Picked up some 7/32 Aluminum tubing this morning, it fits snugly in between the fins and still allows from some airflow over top.

Time to get back to Fathers day stuff. :Peace_Sign:

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Dude you talkin bout me? you didnt even know to paint a windshied a windshied and a turbine a turbine and youre doing this all wrong harware first then paint. I was merely trying to help u while others just want you to run what they run. Which is what youre into you even said you got your idea from another member. We call that biting if you wanna be that be my guest. I wont comment on your thread anymore since it botheres you to a point of trying to get personal .Why would one want something someone else has wheres the originality oh I forgot its in the beef. LOL U seemed cool on the paint advice but then you got girly cause I made a valid point U cant nail an idea down dude its the truth. You tell me i dont read your post fully . I dont have to; you change what you wanna do everyday. Youre kinda stracted boss. I suggest a motor you tell me "read cause the motors are already brought" two pages and a bunch of chatter later now youre taking a poll on what motor to run. You take your advice from who says what you wanna hear no problem dawg.Ive since gave up on you youre a lost cause and now you buying into that childs banter about nothing to do with boats. Why dont you just buy his? lol Peace fam good luck with all these HARD decisions wow.

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 01:27 PM
X-factor =:hornets_nest: Play nice!!
Scott I was merely trying to get him to nail an idea down. Peoples egos make them fell threatened I have no ill will with this man i was only trying to help. As far as the other member talking about banning someone calling someone buckwheat is a direct violation of the rules. Ive been alot of names on here havent seen anyone get banned yet so if thats the case it will be spring cleaning around here.Trump up that ban crap when you see some one calling me a name that I feel was racist in nature. I let it go so yall better too.Lastly come to my defense just like this when you see stuff like that on my own threads. Forget this boat thats not a sprintcat anyway. Its a hotr 41 145.00 hull
peace
x

supafastsupra2
06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm more a reader than a poster on these forums. My only gripe with X is why do you always double, triple, quadruple post? the EDIT feature is there for a reason...

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Man theres alot gripes with me but I cant gripe back so whats the difference?

crabstick
06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Looks good man!

FighterCat57
06-20-2010, 04:22 PM
:focus:

Motor mounts should be here tomorrow! :banana:

Looks good man!

Thanks!!

FighterCat57
06-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Sanded the fins and the aluminum tubing for a good thermal transfer bond. Rolled them in the thermal epoxy and now they are nice and tight. I can pick up the whole setup by any of the tubes without worry of bending. Seems that was the right length to keep them from being weak.

I'm so tempted to put a coat of paint on it, but it will only insulate the heat sink and reduce its efficiency.

The plan is to split the water from the dual pickup rudder coming in across all 6 tubes and a separate set for the motors. Since the pickups are 1/4" there should be adequate flow for this many dispersions. If not, I can loop through the ESC with one line per side, but I don't anticipate any flow issues.

supafastsupra2
06-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Man theres alot gripes with me but I cant gripe back so whats the difference?

don't take it personally, you do have good advice to give when you so choose, but seriously just edit your posts if you forget something the first time around :Peace_Sign:

Anyways to get back on topic, Fighter the cat is looking pretty good thus far and I like those cooling plates :thumbup1: Can't wait to see it done

FighterCat57
06-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Fighter the cat is looking pretty good thus far and I like those cooling plates :thumbup1: Can't wait to see it done

Thanks! I know it's not a world class project, an extreme setup or even competition level, just having a bit of fun in the garage. :cool2:

Diegoboy
06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Today, 08:10 AM
This message is hidden because Xfactor is on your ignore list. The Admins have designated him village idiot.

the admins/mods have no favorites or would ever speak on a memeber in that way
Please refrain from these type of comments

FighterCat57
06-21-2010, 01:14 PM
:focus:

Time to make some motor mounts tonight!

Xfactor
06-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Build your boat young man. I was merely a brotha trying to help u out already been where youre going trying to give you the real deal but like I said was trying to help you. As far as the cat out of the bag Im black too thats great man.I said I wont comment on your build cause u cant seen to take a joke which really was sound advice but id appreciate if youd keep comments about me out your post esp If I cant say nohing to ya to help ya.You got cash to spend and no idea what to spend it on . A retailers dream. I was only trying to help u young man believe what you may.

crabstick
06-22-2010, 06:05 AM
So where you at with motors? Any decisions yet?

The heatsinks look awesome. Thermal Mass for the win!

When you drill the hull, cover the drilling areas with masking tape if you are not already doing it :smile:. Also makes marking the holes a lot easier with something to draw on.

FighterCat57
06-22-2010, 08:49 AM
So where you at with motors? Any decisions yet?

The heatsinks look awesome. Thermal Mass for the win!

When you drill the hull, cover the drilling areas with masking tape if you are not already doing it :smile:. Also makes marking the holes a lot easier with something to draw on.

I find it absolutely exciting working with a freshly painted hull. Delicate and fragile.

Masking tape is an excellent way to help prevent chipping and allow marking. Although the caution is that the tape goo not stick or remove the fresh paint!

I use the blue painters tape and sometimes clear vinyl, but the vinyl does tend to stick pretty well.

=)

Rumdog
06-22-2010, 09:03 AM
OOOHH, I dig the FE blog man. Good idea!

nomobux
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Stick the tape on your pant leg and pull it off before applying to the boat. It removes some of the tack and helps alot.

RCKong
06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Say fighter, check these beasts out http://www.leopard-model.com/product/product_veiws.asp?id=1256&functionID=01020202
I think you can get 2 of these110A 5500 watt beasts for the price of 1 Neu 1527. I like the 1344 kv on 8s... 39,782kv on each side... sounds sick to me...I might have to get into a large cat project myself after seeing these 7 HP monsters!!! LOL

Brushless55
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Say fighter, check these beasts out http://www.leopard-model.com/product/product_veiws.asp?id=1256&functionID=01020202
I think you can get 2 of these110A 5500 watt beasts for the price of 1 Neu 1527. I like the 1344 kv on 8s... 39,782kv on each side... sounds sick to me...I might have to get into a large cat project myself after seeing these 7 HP monsters!!! LOL

someone priced those big Leopard motors to me at $225 each, and I thought that was kinda high :glare:

RCKong
06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
yea, I thought it would be lower $$$...bummer... I see the 4074's 2200kv for 70 + shipping at HOR and thought these big motors would be inexpensive too.

FighterCat57
06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
It's gonna happen like this.

:bounce:

nomobux
06-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Nice ... when's the maiden ....:bounce:

FighterCat57
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice ... when's the maiden ....:bounce:

Not soon enough!

Working on the port side mount today. It's HOT. Like 90+ today. Some AC in the garage, but not enough. Can't stay out there for more than an hour or two during the day.

nomobux
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Not soon enough!

Working on the port side mount today. It's HOT. Like 90+ today. Some AC in the garage, but not enough. Can't stay out there for more than an hour or two during the day.

Ha ... I hear you, almost 90 here, but I have super insulation. Shop stays mid 60s to low 70s as long as I keep it shut .... almost cold with a fan.

FighterCat57
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Ha ... I hear you, almost 90 here, but I have super insulation. Shop stays mid 60s to low 70s as long as I keep it shut .... almost cold with a fan.

I should be so lucky! No insulation, just a ceiling fan and a door to the utility room where I usually stick a floor fan to grab some cool air from the house. I'm lucky to get a 10 degree drop and 100% humidity.

It's only nasty from June - Sept. The rest of the year it is really nice. :thumbup1:

As for the sprint cat, I'm waiting for stuff, so I boxed it up and pulled out Das Boot to work on for a bit.

FighterCat57
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
OK, so after all the mess and x-chromosome's diatribe...

From the grave and near departure arises a project from the ashes of dramatic discourse.

It's the 41" SprintCat w/Little Screamer and Swordfish 240 HV!

Thanks to Pete Z for making me such an excellent mount despite my best efforts to provide erroneous design specs. :cool2:

10s2p x455 on 078 wire and 3/16 hard prop/strut

More to follow as time allows, but it's on Bench #3!