PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Pack Voltage??

Darin Jordan
10-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Guys... I have been running some small (150mah) 4-cell Rx packs in my little riggers and my N1-Mono, and have had no issues...

On my new P-Mono that I'm getting together, I was thinking of using something more substantial, since I'll be dealing with a much bigger servo, etc...

I was wondering if I would damage anything by using a 6-cell Rx pack??? I have some 2/3A 6-cell packs that are otherwise just sitting here and are brand new that I was thinking of using...

Otherwise, I'll remove a cell from them and just use them as a 5-cell Rx pack... but if I could avoid having to do that, I'd like to...

If you have any experience with this, please chime in...

Thanks,

NorthernBoater
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
What Rx are you using. I know the Spektrum receivers can handle all the way up to 9.6V. If the Rx can handle more than 6V it may regulate it down to 6V.

Darin Jordan
10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
What Rx are you using. I know the Spektrum receivers can handle all the way up to 9.6V. If the Rx can handle more than 6V it may regulate it down to 6V.

Good Point... I forgot that piece of info...

I'm using mostly Hitec DCX dual conversion 3-channel Rxs... I do have a couple of JR RS-310 Rxs, but I've had glitching trouble with them so I usually don't use them for hot race setups...

I'll go look at the Rx specs and see what it says... I'll do the same for the ESC...

NorthernBoater
10-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I found this site that has some info. Stick with the 5 cell pack.
http://www.robotstore.com/store/product.asp?pid=849&catid=1546

Eyekandyboats
10-06-2007, 06:56 AM
i have so much trouble with my rs310's URG.

i run 4 cells on my jr's and it seems to get worse then with out a receiver pack.

Fluid
10-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Frankly, running anything less than 6 volts to the receiver makes little sense with today's big fast models. I run 5 x 350mAh cells on my LSH boats and 5 x IB1200 cells on everything else. Virtually all current receivers will handle 6 volts very well. I used to run a 9v alkaline battery and it worked fine on small boats with small servos.

An additional tip - plug the receiver pack into the 3rd channel slot on the receiver - not the BATT slot. The 3rd channel is on a buss that will allow full power to the servo rather than heavily regulated = faster transit time and more torque.

SJFE
10-06-2007, 07:57 AM
An additional tip - plug the receiver pack into the 3rd channel slot on the receiver - not the BATT slot. The 3rd channel is on a buss that will allow full power to the servo rather than heavily regulated = faster transit time and more torque.

Fluid will this work with BEC units also? My BEC units are rated up to 50 volts & 5 amps.

Doug Smock
10-06-2007, 09:33 AM
i have so much trouble with my rs310's URG.

i run 4 cells on my jr's and it seems to get worse then with out a receiver pack.

Man if I had all the JR problems you do I would have thrown that junk out the window a long time ago.:huh:

Between Casey and I we own eight JR TXs from XR3s to XS3s not including three air units. I can't tell you how many JR RXs we have. In over ten years we haven't had a single problem with any of them. :thumbup:

Perhaps you just got a bad one or your problem stems from something else.:confused1:

Doug

FRED
10-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I use 9 volt battery for rx power and some models above 6 volts jump around because of too much voltage. Now you take micro, 6 volts is it and i use good micro servos as they don't strip gears. Now JR. servos work great and no problems but as i read things same equipment is always best and scrimping on $ signs cost in the long run!

FLEETMASTER
10-07-2007, 01:49 AM
I use 7.4 lipo rx packs in my boats and LST monster truck.
I use voltage regulators,of which most allow you to select 5 or 6 volt output.

Fluid
10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Again guys, modern receivers already have a voltage regulator in them. Save your money - unless you want to use 4S or 6S receiver packs. :smile:

Eyekandyboats
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
wahoo.
I ran the receiver pack in through the 3rd channel and i can say i have zero problems now.

Darin Jordan
10-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Frankly, running anything less than 6 volts to the receiver makes little sense with today's big fast models. I run 5 x 350mAh cells on my LSH boats and 5 x IB1200 cells on everything else. Virtually all current receivers will handle 6 volts very well. I used to run a 9v alkaline battery and it worked fine on small boats with small servos.

Thanks Jay... very useful information...

Just to clarify... is there an issue then with running 6-cells to the RX as opposed to 5-cells?? Can the built-in regulator handle the extra 1.2V?? My application is NOT going to be hurt by the extra weight...

Fluid
10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Darin, it depends on the receiver. The specifications for each may be different, I know that older Futabas listed up to 8.4 volts input voltage - I used a 9 volt alkaline cells with good success. Current Futabas may be different....check your manual to be certain.

Flying Scotsman
10-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Darin and Fluid[ AKA as the GURU] for this info.

Douggie