PDA

View Full Version : PVC Outrigger

FighterCat57
06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I think I want to build one. Just for fun and as a rescue boat.

I'm thinking a 6" diameter piece of PVC about 18" long and two out riggers that will act as the rescue guides as well as balance the craft.

Using a threaded endcap to seal the nose of the hull and epoxy to seal the transom.

I'll probably use a left over brushless setup, like 1500kv on 3s 120a.

What are some creative ways of steering?

I'm thinking a solid shaft would be best for the drive system and probably seal better.

I'm thinking seal the hull well and launch it into the ocean for fun!

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been looking at the possibility of a jet drive?!

Would a jet drive hold up with a brushless setup?

Hmmm. Curiosity.

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Steve- would this hold up on brushless? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=Grauper+Jet+Drives

Forward only and steerable, looks like it would work perfectly for this little project!

j.m.
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, those have been run with some pretty ridiculous setups. Excellent acceleration!!

You'd want a v-hull though, they need lots of water flow. If you have a lathe or access to one you can easily experiment with props, especially metal props.

Check the 'all things jet-drive' thread on RCU and DiegoBoy's fastech jet drive build here on OSE.

Jon

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking of just using large pvc pipe like from home depot for a center hull.
All I need is a drive rudder setup that does not leak. =)

j.m.
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
PICTURE!!!!

I don't really get what your saying... But I guess it could work?

A jet drive on a large flat bottom hull would work great for a rescue vessel. Don't forget, you can use the bucket to get reverse from a jet drive.

FighterCat57
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
PICTURE!!!!

I don't really get what your saying... But I guess it could work?

A jet drive on a large flat bottom hull would work great for a rescue vessel. Don't forget, you can use the bucket to get reverse from a jet drive.

Using something like this for a hull:

http://talukder-group.com/home/images/products/pvc%20pipe/pvcPIPE03.jpg

Then setting up two pontoon like outriggers. The rear of the 8" tube sealed, the front a 45 degree angle with a screw plug for hull access.

Just a weird idea that I think I can make work. An all PVC pipe outrigger style rescue/ocean craft.

Ideally, a jet drive would make it work well in the surf in the crashing waves with less fear of outside rudder/prop damage. Although now that I think about it, jet drive + salt water = major corrosion potential.

If not, I'll setup a boogie board.

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I just picked out the pieces and put them all in a cart, and wow, did I totally under estimate the weight of this stuff!

No chance of this one happening. NONE. Way too heavy to even think about pushing around, probably 20 lbs of PVC and endcaps. The big stuff is much heavier and thicker than the smaller stuff.

OK, so I have this boogie board...

j.m.
06-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I think it'd be cool to cut up a boogie board and shove a jet drive in the ass end of it....

:thumbup:

Jon

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it'd be cool to cut up a boogie board and shove a jet drive in the ass end of it....

:thumbup:

Jon

Yeah. Basically sticking a tupperware square box on the back and a drive on the rear and away we go!

j.m.
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Perfect!

Have the box stick out the rear a little bit to make sure the drive gets water, not air. IDK about 3s though... Yeah, it's only a rescue rig, but you still want some grunt. 4s might be a better choice.

Jon

FighterCat57
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Perfect!

Have the box stick out the rear a little bit to make sure the drive gets water, not air. IDK about 3s though... Yeah, it's only a rescue rig, but you still want some grunt. 4s might be a better choice.

Jon

IDK about the RPM, but it's doable, I have a few motor KV's to choose from, between 2700 and 1500, so 4s would be not problem, if the RPM is right for the jet drive.

Still looking for the jet drive thread, I saw it a while back, but can't find it today. Wondering where to source a jet drive.

j.m.
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Here and hobby lobby are the only places I know of. They are both out of stock...