PDA

View Full Version : Motor for 1/12 ProBoat Hydro

skellyo
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I have a 1/12 Elam hydro hull/hardware on the way and need to pick out the power plant for it. I currently have available the following motors:
Castle/Neu 1515 2200kV
Castle/Neu 1512 2650kV
Castle/Neu 1520 1600kV

I'm particularly interested if anyone has any experience with a Castle/Neu 1515 in this boat? Does it fit the stock mount or if the diameter too large? Also, FWIW, I'd prefer to stick with 4S on this boat.

Darin Jordan
06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I have a 1/12 Elam hydro hull/hardware on the way and need to pick out the power plant for it. I currently have available the following motors:
Castle/Neu 1515 2200kV
Castle/Neu 1512 2650kV
Castle/Neu 1520 1600kV

I'm particularly interested if anyone has any experience with a Castle/Neu 1515 in this boat? Does it fit the stock mount or if the diameter too large? Also, FWIW, I'd prefer to stick with 4S on this boat.

In my opinion, having raced this hull extensively, and also having witnessed several other racers working with this hull... ALL of those motors are too much power for this hull on Lipos...

The stock motor and ESC, turning an ABC 45x55 or Octura X645 prop, on 4S lipos, will more than exceed the hulls useful top speed.... especially if you haven't taken the time to tweak the sponsons or add an adjustable strut or put on a real turn fin...

Just my opinion, for what it's worth...

Given the options above, however, I'd go with the 1515 1Y (2200KV)... the 1512 you have above is too much KV, and the 1520 is too long to really fit effectively into the boat, and would have too much torque for you to use.

skellyo
06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
In my opinion, having raced this hull extensively, and also having witnessed several other racers working with this hull... ALL of those motors are too much power for this hull on Lipos...

The stock motor and ESC, turning an ABC 45x55 or Octura X645 prop, on 4S lipos, will more than exceed the hulls useful top speed.... especially if you haven't taken the time to tweak the sponsons or add an adjustable strut or put on a real turn fin...

Just my opinion, for what it's worth...

Given the options above, however, I'd go with the 1515 1Y (2200KV)... the 1512 you have above is too much KV, and the 1520 is too long to really fit effectively into the boat, and would have too much torque for you to use.

Exactly the kind of straightforward answer I was looking for. I'll look into picking up a stock motor.

Darin Jordan
06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Exactly the kind of straightforward answer I was looking for. I'll look into picking up a stock motor.

You might also consider using the UL-1 motor. This would be a higher KV (less torque though), and might work better in this hull, as it would allow you to achieve the same speeds using a smaller prop (42x55 or similiar)... I think running the larger pitch props on this hull are part of what causes it to get a little crazy.

Plus, you'd still have a legal boat for P-Limited Sport Hydro, which means you could get out there and RACE!!

Another good option would be the new 1800KV motor from the ProBoat Stiletto, but I'm not sure it's available in stores just yet.

skellyo
06-01-2010, 01:03 PM
You might also consider using the UL-1 motor. This would be a higher KV (less torque though), and might work better in this hull, as it would allow you to achieve the same speeds using a smaller prop (42x55 or similiar)... I think running the larger pitch props on this hull are part of what causes it to get a little crazy.

Plus, you'd still have a legal boat for P-Limited Sport Hydro, which means you could get out there and RACE!!

Another good option would be the new 1800KV motor from the ProBoat Stiletto, but I'm not sure it's available in stores just yet.

Would a Hobbywing Seaking 90A be sufficient for running a UL-1 motor in this boat or should I step up to the 120A?

Darin Jordan
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Would a Hobbywing Seaking 90A be sufficient for running a UL-1 motor in this boat or should I step up to the 120A?

90A "should" be OK... I'd opt for the 120A to better handle the spikes... I think Eric Bourlet may be running the Turnigy 120A... His boat (JAE 21 FE) was radar'd this weekend by Lohring Miller doing 63-64mph in heat-race trim... Brian's Raptor was actually about 1-2mph faster... Amazing.