PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Easy Boat Carry Stand Recipe

FighterCat57
05-30-2010, 02:17 PM
It's always annoying making 2 or three trips to the hardware store to get stuff... even well planned turns out, well, not so planned some times!

So I figured that I would put together a quick and easy to follow recipe for building a carry along boat stand out of PVC. This list works for both V-Hulls and Cats.

Supplies:
1 piece of 10' PVC 1/2" pipe
1 piece of 6' pipe insulation for 1/2" pipe
1 bag of 1/2" joining T's (8 required)
1 bag of 1/2" joining L's (4 required)
1 can of PVC pipe cement (primer optional, but not necessary)
1 piece of 8' smooth rope, 1/4" to 3/8" (must fit inside PVC, non-stratching)
12 large zip ties
6 small zip ties

Tools:
A method/device for cutting PVC pipe accurately. I used a power miter saw with a finishing blade for nice smooth cuts. Just about any miter saw/blade setup will do for PVC.
A method for cutting the rope. Sometimes this requires a heated blade, torch or flame to melt the poly and keep it from fraying.
A drill with 1/8th drill bit approximately.
A sharp knife or large scissors for cutting the PVC Pipe Insulation
A measuring tape and marking utensil

Instructions:
Cut four 20" long sections out of the PVC pipe, then cut the following:
4 2.5" Sections
4 1.75" Sections
2 1.5" Sections
1 5" Section

Cut four 18" sections of the Pipe Insulation

Do a dry fit first! Make sure all pieces fit together and it lays flat on the table.
Assemble/cement one piece at a time, using the 1.5" sections to join the center T's, the 1.75" sections to join the vertical risers and the 2.5" pieces to join the outer supports.

Optionally for a V Hull, lengthen the center joining PVC Pieces (1.5") to 3.5" to allow the hull to sit in between the padded supports.

Install the padding on the PVC and zip tie in place.

Install the rope as shown using a square knot to prevent it from coming apart.
Drill 1/8" holes in the outside parts of the outer T's as shown. Zip tie the rope in place to keep it from sliding.
Do the same for the carry handle. An easy way is to install all the zip ties, line up the rope in carry position with COG where you want it and then snug up the zip ties.
________
WEED VAPORIZER (http://weedvaporizers.info/)

FighterCat57
05-30-2010, 02:20 PM
And Viola! A nice, simple carry along boat stand that will fit various cat hull sizes.
Measurements above work well with 32" HOTR, Apparition, EKOS and Genesis hulls.
________
Dc Marijuana Dispensaries (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

pescador
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks!
I hadn't thought of using tee's on the corners instead of elbows to let the rope through.

FighterCat57
05-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks!
I hadn't thought of using tee's on the corners instead of elbows to let the rope through.

Seems to work out OK. I managed to build three of them today and have the stuff for a fourth. Going to wait a bit and see if there's any design changes I want to incorporate for the 4th. That and it's for my new Sprint Cat that will be here Tuesday!
________
Myositis forums (http://www.health-forums.org/myositis/)

HYDROJERRY
05-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Very cool i like it. How much do you think you payed for all to make it , i made one PVC stand but after figuring out how much it cost to do it i decided to just keep with balsa ones, cheaper,,

FighterCat57
05-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Very cool i like it. How much do you think you payed for all to make it , i made one PVC stand but after figuring out how much it cost to do it i decided to just keep with balsa ones, cheaper,,

$26 to make three of them. With extra rope to spare. The 1/2" stuff is cheap at home depot. Getting the connectors in a 10ct bag helps too. Cuts them down to .22 each. The 10' 1/2 PVC is like .99 and so is the insulation. I already had the PVC cement and zip ties.

So, for under $10 each. Not bad at all.

bustitup
05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice job of putting this together and documenting it

FighterCat57
07-01-2010, 11:23 AM
As requested, here is a word Doc formatted and PDF formatted version of the boat stand recipe. Feel free to alter, improve or make changes as you like. Enjoy!

nomobux
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Not to hijack your thrd 57. I was at a 1/8th nitro hydro race here this wk-end and 2 guys had these. I was looking for some kind of field box for crawlers, boats etc. The guys I talked to said they love them. Found mine at Costco yest. Stanley Fat Max

FighterCat57
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Hijack away! That Fat Max is awesome! It's a great carry-all.

If I had to travel farther to get to where I run, I would definitely have one.

HYDROJERRY
07-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I saw a toolbox that the two sides flipped up and you could put a rifle across it to clean it, thought hay i could put controllers in it then open and flip up the 2 sides to put my boat on if i can find a pic ill post it..

H2OCamel
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice job!

Brushless55
07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
very cool, and nice and wide to be very stable

Karfrik
07-04-2010, 03:47 AM
excellent just what i needed!!! specially after buying lots of PVC stuff long time ago but not having the time to figure it out!!!.....lol.Thanks!!!,....Albert

Karfrik
07-04-2010, 03:55 AM
As requested, here is a word Doc formatted and PDF formatted version of the boat stand recipe. Feel free to alter, improve or make changes as you like. Enjoy!

so are both documents for the same stand type,or 2 different ones?.....i already downloaded them but didn`t check on that,...............Thanks

FighterCat57
07-04-2010, 03:36 PM
so are both documents for the same stand type,or 2 different ones?.....i already downloaded them but didn`t check on that,...............Thanks

They are the same. Some people prefer Word and some Prefer PDF. :thumbup1:

tth
07-04-2010, 09:01 PM
HydroJerry I have one exactly like yours. Before my addiction to FE I was into guns bigtime and have several "cleaning boxes". They work great for a field boat stand just make sure the gun rests stay secure to the box. I had a nice DF mono fall off because one of the ends didn't stay true.

Hope This Helps

FighterCat57
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Here's a photo of the "optional" longer center pieces to support a V Hull. Another option for those hulls with longer rudders is to lengthen the riser pieces to allow more room for rudder clearance.

hazegry
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I built something similar for my boats but didnt think of running the rope through the pipe like that. I will have to add that tomorrow thanks for the tip.