PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a new motor

hyrulejedi86
05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
So, I'm thinking about getting a new motor for my Rio Ep because I think my current motor is too small. What do you guys think?

I currently have a 28-45 3600kv motor and I'm noticing it is getting very hot when I run it. I think that this motor is just too small to handle this boat.

Soooo, I was thinking bout getting this motor to replace it, what does everyone think?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6532

Thanks for the input!

forescott
05-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Or if you want to stick with the same diameter motor that you already have, you can use a feigao 380-7xl(3357kv) They are more money, but are higher quality.

hyrulejedi86
05-30-2010, 08:51 AM
I've been looking at all the motors for major brands of boats like proboat and aquacraft, and it seems like they are always 36mm motors. I figured, and after discussing with someone else that a larger motor would be better used in my boat since it is above 25".

So, I did want to get a bigger one. Unfortunatly, I know that the feigao motors are much better quality but I have to stick to the cheaper one's at the moment while I'm still in school. Once, I'm done I can afford the nicer ones. For now, I'm only looking at the hobby king motors.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will save that motor for possible future applications though.

Diesel6401
05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I've been looking at all the motors for major brands of boats like proboat and aquacraft, and it seems like they are always 36mm motors. I figured, and after discussing with someone else that a larger motor would be better used in my boat since it is above 25".

So, I did want to get a bigger one. Unfortunatly, I know that the feigao motors are much better quality but I have to stick to the cheaper one's at the moment while I'm still in school. Once, I'm done I can afford the nicer ones. For now, I'm only looking at the hobby king motors.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will save that motor for possible future applications though.

Going bigger in this case isn't always better. The motor you selected even though it's larger in diameter than a 380 size motor its only rated at 375 watts, a feigao 380xl is 440 watts meaning that smaller motor puts out more power and is probably more effcient than the hk motor. What's the shipping cost on that hk motor? Cost + shipping from hk maybe only slightly cheaper than the $49.99 feigao motor here on OSE http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-380-xL&cat=116 and shipping from Steve isn't very much and you'll get the motor a hell of alot quicker. Thing is you can buy the hk motor and you might not be happy with it then you'll be looking for another motor pretty soon.

hyrulejedi86
05-30-2010, 10:51 AM
hmmm, you make a good point my friend. Althought, I was going to get some batteries too I may just go this route and see what happens. Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realize that at first.

hyrulejedi86
05-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I've been thinking a little bit and I am still learning about brushless motors and how they work so I was hoping you could give me some more info.

How does the wattage rating play into the decision to pick a motor?

Also, If this is my motor what component of it is wrong that makes it run so hot? Besides it's a turnigy?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5145

Then if you could suggest one fiegao motor which would it be if you were just looking for your own interest?

forescott
05-30-2010, 01:16 PM
The hobbyking el-cheapo motors have been known to burn up. The quality is a little under par. More watts = more power. The 380-7xl I suggested earlier has a similar kv to what you have now, but speed will be greater because the motor can is muck longer than what you have now and will produce more power and torque!

hyrulejedi86
05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
My biggest concern is the heat production though. Will that motor lower the amount of heat produced as well?

forescott
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
A better quality motor with more power should produce less heat than a smaller motor that is working harder. Not sure how much heat reduction though. The feigao 380xl is long enough to be used in the rio ep's clamp mount and still have room for a small water cooling can on it. The stock aluminum cooling coils dont work well at all.

forescott
05-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm still running a graupner race 600 brushed motor on mine. It can get pretty hot too.

Diesel6401
05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I've been thinking a little bit and I am still learning about brushless motors and how they work so I was hoping you could give me some more info.

How does the wattage rating play into the decision to pick a motor?

Also, If this is my motor what component of it is wrong that makes it run so hot? Besides it's a turnigy?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5145

Then if you could suggest one fiegao motor which would it be if you were just looking for your own interest?

When selecting a motor wattage, voltage and kv are all important. Electric motor are rated in watts. 746 watts = 1 horspower. Watts are determined by motor amps x input voltage, RPM is deterimed by kv rating x input voltage. For your setup I'd imaging you want quick straight runs so right around 30,000 rpm should work. If i were to select a motor for a brushless ep (i do own the boat and thought about it) I would go with a 380 size 8xl on 3s. You will have to remove the battery tray to run 3s.

hyrulejedi86
05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Thank you, this does help alot. I will probably end up getting this motor then. I guess Im still picking up on how to determine the specifics. So, I'm glad I have found forums like these to learn.

By the way, I LOVE your UL-1 Video, I may well be getting one this summer since it's good to go out of the box and at great speeds too. My only question is I've heard that they aren't shipping to the retailers until july (according to my LHS) due to a shortage and I was wondering if the UL-1s their going to ship then have any improvements from the one's they've had out.

Diesel6401
05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I think the stock prop is 42mm, that may be a bit much for the new setup of yours. Maybe a a grim 36x55, y535 or a y534 plastic. I'm really not sure on the props though, maybe another member has a better prop selection.... Thanks for the comment

hyrulejedi86
05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
I actually tried several different propellers, and 40mm was the best fit. Anything smaller gave a big reduction in speed. However, I did note that a 36mm three blade ran slower but completly stable, no issues with prop walk.