PDA

View Full Version : Do what I say, not what I do

BHChieftain
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
So Chris and I are setting up our boats at the lake getting ready for a sprint. We get on the topic of connectors...

ME:
"So Chris, one problem with running bullets like I have is that sometimes guys inadvertently short out their lipos when hooking them up in series"

BLAM!

CHRIS:
"You mean like that?"

:doh:

Here's the connector after just a split second short. I think I'll change my connection order to prevent this in the future-- I was connecting the two lipos together first, then connecting the lipos to the ESC (here is where I ended up connecting the other lipo leads together...).

If I first connect the red lipo lead to the ESC then I can't end up with a short...

Back to the soldering iron...

-Chief

supafastsupra2
05-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I shorted out an 8s setup on a buggy conversion before. The bullet connector literally disintegrated, nothing left.

Jeepers
05-29-2010, 04:38 PM
thats what a "few" amps will do to you!!!

been there done that a couple of times, it sucks!

egneg
05-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Did it yesterday and killed a cell on a 2S Elite 35C/5000. This really bummed me out as the pair was perfect for the UL-1 and I can't find a replacement. :doh:

ED66677
05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
use Deans! :just-kidding:

kookie_guy
05-31-2010, 10:59 AM
wow, that's pretty crazy.

The way to posted is the way I connect mine in my BJ26.

ESC red wire to one pack
ESC black wire to other pack
Jumper across the packs last

BHChieftain
05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
wow, that's pretty crazy.

The way to posted is the way I connect mine in my BJ26.

ESC red wire to one pack
ESC black wire to other pack
Jumper across the packs last

That'll keep you from shorting. The reason I don't like to do the jumper across the packs last is I get a pretty big spark that way. I like to connect the negtive lipo to the neg ESC as the last connection-- gets the most resistance before the final connection and the lowest spark.

Anyway, now I connect the positive lipo to the positive ESC as the first connection which should keep me out of trouble...

-Chief

forescott
05-31-2010, 04:47 PM
How come I dont see any of you guys using ec-5 connectors. They are rated for 120 amps, and are made for dummies like me! :tongue_smilie:

BHChieftain
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
How come I dont see any of you guys using ec-5 connectors. They are rated for 120 amps, and are made for dummies like me! :tongue_smilie:

Ohh, I'm liken' that idea!

Chilli
05-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I do the female bullet on the battery positive lead, male on the negative like many of us do, but still screwed up every once in a while. Thats because I always used black shrink wrap on all the connectors. As soon as I went to the red shrink on the positive leads, black on negative (controller and battery) I have never gotten close to a short.

DINO7
06-01-2010, 05:06 AM
EC5 5mm connectors for me too..no heat and tight fit with no mistakes on hooking batts...

785boats
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I have a hydro where the batteries (2 x 2s) are right up under the front cowling & I have to reach up under there to plug the leads into the ESC. It's hard to see up there with my hands in the way. Once, after thinking I had hold of the red from one pack & the black of the other (to link them in series) I soon found out when I tried to plug them in that they were both from the same pack.:doh:
Just like you Chief, I was talking to someone at the time instead of paying attention to matters at hand.
Luckily the battery survived, as only the edges of the connectors touched but I had to replace both connectors. It was a tense 15 minutes waiting to see if the pack was going to swell or not.
Cheers.
Paul.

JMSCARD
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I found the easiest way to keep from shorting out your connectors is just totally "slowing down" during the connection process.... the bullets are fantastically easy to use as long as you take the time to use them properly... I too have shorted my connectors... but after a couple times you tend to pay a little better attention:) keep the bullets....

So Chris and I are setting up our boats at the lake getting ready for a sprint. We get on the topic of connectors...

ME:
"So Chris, one problem with running bullets like I have is that sometimes guys inadvertently short out their lipos when hooking them up in series"

BLAM!

CHRIS:
"You mean like that?"

Here's the connector after just a split second short. I think I'll change my connection order to prevent this in the future-- I was connecting the two lipos together first, then connecting the lipos to the ESC (here is where I ended up connecting the other lipo leads together...).

If I first connect the red lipo lead to the ESC then I can't end up with a short...

-Chief

sailr
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I think we have all done it at least once. My solution now is to pay attention. Don't be distracted! I agree that the pos/neg to the esc hooked up first is the best when running series!

bigwaveohs
06-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Those are what I use in my VS-1 and couldn't be happier!

forescott
06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I love em! Thet solder easy,snap in and out easy, and dont require any shrink wrap. They are kinda pricey here in the u.s. but hobbyking sells them for less than a couple of bucks a pair. I usually order a dozen or so when I order lipos from hobbyking to save on shipping.

bigwaveohs
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I bought a big bag last time from HobbyKing with my LiPos...love those guys!

ggcrna
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

ME:

BLAM!

CHRIS:
"You mean like that?"

-Chief

Hey Chief , I am glad I found your post.
I think I shorted one of my lipo leads also.
My question to you is: do you simply cut off that fried lead and solder a new one
on? Thanks, Glenn

ggcrna
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Oops I mean, fried connector.
G

egneg
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
My question to you is: do you simply cut off that fried lead and solder a new one
on? Thanks, Glenn

If you didn't fry the lipo as well - yes. Check total voltage first.

keithbradley
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I use SIX 3s packs in my DF40 copy to run 9s2p. I arrange the packs one on one side behind the esc, two on the other side, and three in the center. I series the three perimeter packs and the three in the center and then parallel them together. Needless to say, there are a lot of wires floating around in the same area and it would be easy to grab the wrong one.
I have a rule that my kids and wife know well:
*I dont talk while hooking up the batteries*
Unfortunatley bystanders arent familiar with my rule but they figure it out soon enough:blah:

BHChieftain
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
on? Thanks, Glenn

Yes, I clipped the wire just under the connector, restripped and resoldered a new one, then OBSERVED CAREFULLY when I went to recharge/balance it...

I got lucky-- my packs were fine even after that incident.

Chief