PDA

View Full Version : 1/16th shovelnose

mike a.
10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I have been building this for awhile now but now got the time again to work on it. Its a 1956 Ted Jones shovelnose hydro built by using Gary Finlay plans. I will try to write more later but heres some pictures of it. I still have a lot of sanding to do before paint. Just getting all the holes drilled and hardware mounted before i paint.

kck741
10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Did you put a varnish on it or is that epoxy

mike a.
10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
some more pics. The picture of the strut bracket and the piece of aluminum is the backplate for the bracket. I couldnt get a nut to go on the transom for the top fasteners without cutting where the hatch sits so i made the plate and tapped threads into it and now it works. The boat is also 23 in long. I have fullers 31/2in rudder with water pickup for it but have to make another backplate. I also like using the backplate because its spreading the load out. I am running it on an 8s Feigao motor on 6 cells. I just got the rudder for it today and am very impressed with it though, the features he is able to give you for only $30.

mike a.
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
its west system epoxy. I put two coats on it since the first coat really got sucked in. I am going to sand some of it off so i can get a nice finish when i paint it.

mike a.
10-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I also forgot to add that I fiberglassed the floor where the motor is sitting and where the batteries are sitting. This is my first time building the hull from scratch. The hull is 3/32in balsa and the transom is covered with really thin birch and the ride pads have a strip of birch on them too.

FLEETMASTER
10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Mine is running a Feigao 6S on 2S 4700 lipo power,Octura X427 and it screams,
you will be impressed with how fast these little jiggers are.
Your combo should allow an X430 easily,if not an X432.
I'm seeing 39K rpm on the water and a decent rooster tail.

mike a.
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
I can hardly wait to see it run. I think that im going to get the x427, x430, and the x432 so that way i dont draw too much power on the first run and i will have a couple of options to choose from. I saw that he modified his plans and he now shows that it will take 8 cells with the same boat. I may try 7 cells on the 8s depending on the temps of 6 and then if i try 8 cells i will most likely go to the 6L. I dont know if i will do 8 cells because i dont know if it will blowover from it which would make it pointless to run it on that many.

FLEETMASTER
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I ran on 6 EP4200s and the 27mm prop.Performance was good,but the lipo pack made it awesome.It did blowover,so i made a few c.g adjustments to move the weight forward.
She runs really dry now and doesn't blowover.8 cells may make it alittle heavy in the nose on take off,but there are too many variables.
With the lipo pack mine is around the 1000gram mark ready to run.
I am in need of another esc as mine was water damaged from condensation (forgot hatch tape!).
I ran an 80 amp unit from a chinese supplier.(pm for details)
The motor was from O.S.E.
I initially thought the motor was at fault,but when i tried another spare,it did the same.
I saw a peak of around 75 amps on my setup,but once the prop unloaded it was around 40-50 (very shady memory and can't find data file).
The people who have seen it go have been gob-smacked by it's speed.

mike a.
10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I made the backplate for the rudder to bolt up to today and have that mounted now. i made the hatch for it awhile ago but need to finish sanding the filler. I may just make a new one because This one doesnt have the headrest thing.

Eyekandyboats
10-05-2007, 06:57 PM
How do you like the ETTI rudder you have ?
I presume it is because it looks like it

mike a.
10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Its a fullers 3.5in rudder with bracket. I like the rudder alot and you cant beat the price of $30. I dont know how he can build them so cheap and yet look so good.