PDA

View Full Version : Steve, you need a new forum! Proboat Stiletto

AndyKunz
05-27-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/PRB4000BD_Gal11.jpg

One of the cool things about working for Horizon Hobby is that I get to play with new toys before anybody knows they exist.

I got to drive one of these a few weeks ago.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4000BD

ROCK SOLID! and FAST! Those who know me know I'm not much of a tunnel guy, having only had a MRP Bud Light (bad experience). This boat just might change that for me. I have one of the prototypes at home now and I'm just waiting for spare parts to come in so I can finish it up. This boat is just TOO COOL!

One of the other neat things is being able to have some fun with my buddies and our Team Horizon drivers... Darin, we have a surprise in the box for you when you get yours :bounce:

Andy

Diesel6401
05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
One of the cool things about working for Horizon Hobby is that I get to play with new toys before anybody knows they exist.

I got to drive one of these a few weeks ago.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4000BD

ROCK SOLID! and FAST! Those who know me know I'm not much of a tunnel guy, having only had a MRP Bud Light (bad experience). This boat just might change that for me. I have one of the prototypes at home now and I'm just waiting for spare parts to come in so I can finish it up. This boat is just TOO COOL!

One of the other neat things is being able to have some fun with my buddies and our Team Horizon drivers... Darin, we have a surprise in the box for you when you get yours :bounce:

Andy

O man, that looks wicked. Now theirs ANOTHER boat I want this year :banana:.
Maybe I should pray I hit the lottery so I can buy all the boats I want :Praying:

domwilson
05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Cool looking boat! Way to go, Darin!

Eodman
05-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah a nice boat for sure!

Does anybody remember the boondoogle with the Black Jack FE delivery date???

Hydromaniac
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
:rockon2: Very nice, Great Job Darin!! Will we be seein one of these at the FE NATS??

Steven Vaccaro
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting Andy. I will get the new forum area done.
I did edit the post to add a picture. Hope you done mind.

AndyKunz
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't mind at all, Steve. Thanks!

Andy

Doby
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice boat:thumbup1:,,,but who the hell is this "Darin Jordan" guy they keep refering to.........??:just-kidding:

lomdel
05-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice clean, neat boat. What size motor (540/380) does it have and what lipos will it run (3S?)?

Darin Jordan
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
It's an 1800KV version of the ProBoat BJ26 motor, with a 60A ESC... I suppose it would run on 3S, though I don't know why you'd want to... You'd be down to around 20,000RPM with 3S...

Brushless55
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh my *&^$#% :w00t:
another boat I want
Great job :thumbup:

Jeff Wohlt
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I see the bells so show us the whistles. I would certainly guess there is video out there. Always likes tunnels. I go past Tim Seebolds place everyday now. Known him and the family for many years....maybe there will be some budlight stickers that fit it :)

Brushless55
05-27-2010, 10:41 PM
video is at the bottom buddy..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4000BD#quickMM

Jeff Wohlt
05-27-2010, 10:50 PM
That is pretty cute! I can see the minds thinking already. Will the lower unit hold up to more power 8Xl I wonder? What size flex shaft is in the lower unit? 98/130? Maybe a 150!

Brushless55
05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
:rofl:

Raydee
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I have been dying to try a outboard...looks like this may be a contestant.

Jeff Wohlt
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Wonder what the OB will cost as an item?

Darin Jordan
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Standard K&B sized (.150) flex.... The lower unit is VERY solid... Designed to hold up to the power. I think most will be very impressed, and will also like the mounting system.

Darin Jordan
05-27-2010, 11:20 PM

You can see a parts breakdown on the website.

Doug Smock
05-28-2010, 12:11 AM
This is great news!! Congrats Darin and Proboat!!!

Nice work!
Doug

Jeff Wohlt
05-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Finally a good OB motor! The hull looks sweet and certainly seems it can take more power from the video I saw.

Darin Jordan
05-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Finally a good OB motor! The hull looks sweet and certainly seems it can take more power from the video I saw.

I'll get some pics posted of the outboard from a Production unit as soon as mine gets here. Should be next week or so. It's quite a nice piece that I think you'll find nicely adaptable...

Brushless55
05-28-2010, 12:18 AM

I see about $123 with the cover :thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
05-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I see about $123 with the cover :thumbup1:

Wow... that is a good price... You won't believe how good of a price that is until you see this thing in person. That's great!

I didn't look, but make sure that includes the mount as well... it all has to be used together... Other mounts won't work.

Oh, and I think the cover is made of fiberglass... unless they changed it since the last version I saw. It's all really a very nice unit!

lomdel
05-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Now to wait and see what you guys are going to do to this poor boat to gain even more speed and performance...

Rob13
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Guys,

In the demo video they show the boat running in a clockwise direction, however the actual Formula 1 Tunnel Hulls and similar classes run in a counter clockwise direction. Is the Stilletto set up to run a specific direction for FE racing or do you think it will run in both directions equally well. I cannot see any sort of turn fin on the bottom of the hull that would impede the performance in either direction.

On a side note: this boat looks fantastic and looks like the real thing even sitting still. I can not wait to get one. It is about time someone put together a good tunnel hull.

Thanks,

Rob

AndyKunz
05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Except for a couple clubs in Washington, all oval model boat races are primarily right-hand-only turning. That is why you see it that way on the video.

When I was driving the prototype, I was able to turn well in both directions. It surprised me how well it turned left. However, the hull is asymetric and is set primarily for right-hand turning.

Andy

Ub Hauled
05-29-2010, 04:41 AM
this is great!

tomstoys2
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, Very cool. Great work Darin! Can't wait to get one of those outboards.

rchippie
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
The add says you use two 2s packs . Can you use a single 4s instead, or will it effect the handling of the boat ?.

Darin Jordan
06-02-2010, 12:30 AM
The add says you use two 2s packs . Can you use a single 4s instead, or will it effect the handling of the boat ?.

I tested the boat with both two 2S packs, and a single 4S pack. ThunderPower 40C 5000 mah hard case packs in both cases. Balance point was nearly identical, and the handling was good in both cases. That was also with the original, prototype outboard, which was much heavier than the final production unit, so I expect using a single 4S pack should work even better on a production boat.

I'm hoping my boat will be here sometime this week. As soon as it's here, I'll do my typical thread with pictures and more info.

Boatman
06-02-2010, 01:26 AM
It states it is a bind-n-drive package. Do you know what rx unit will be factory installed? It also states it will be usable with the 2.4ghz specktrum.

AndyKunz
06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
You can use a 4S pack but it moves the CG forward a little.

They actually discuss this on the podcast from last Thursday (5/27) http://www.horizonhobby.com/Podcasts/

Andy

AndyKunz
06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
MR3000 receiver.

Andy

rchippie
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

They actually discuss this on the podcast from last Thursday (5/27) http://www.horizonhobby.com/Podcasts/

Andy

Andy i have the spektrum pro module for a m8. Will the marine reciver work with that module ?. I tried to listed to the pod cast. But you have to listen th the whole thing. You can't adavance to the portion of the show with the boat talk. Can you touch on what they said ?.

Darin Jordan
06-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Andy

I will do a full writeup and posting of pics for everyone once I get the boat in my shop. That way the weight of all the components will be as produced. The outboard I originally tested with was a bit heavier than the production unit is, so we'll see where the final battery positions end up. LOTs of room in the battery box to shift things around...

I'm hoping it'll arrive today.

JimClark
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
you can right click and download it to your mp3 player

Andy i have the spektrum pro module for a m8. Will the marine reciver work with that module ?. I tried to listed to the pod cast. But you have to listen th the whole thing. You can't adavance to the portion of the show with the boat talk. Can you touch on what they said ?.

rchippie
06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
you can right click and download it to your mp3 player

I do not have a MP3 player .

JimClark
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
well then you can download it to your computer and play it and adjust it to whatever portion you want to listen to

lussorocuztoms
06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
hey fellas, new to the board here, anyhow been following this thread since it started AWSOME boat, just wondering a few things, video is great love the speed and the handling of the boat, what size is the can of the motor ? 540 550 just wondering about possible upgrades for a little more speed or can a 5s be run with this set up?
also since im new to boats, does the esc run an external BEC like 1/8 E buggy or truggy?

Doby
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the board. Best to run it stock and learn to drive it before updating. It should be plenty fast for just about anyone.

Excessive speed is not always your friend.

tomstoys2
06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
This is going to be very cool. Comes with an MR3000? That rocks!:rockon2: I've had my DX3S for 2 weeks now and I love it!
Can't wait to get my hands on that outboard. I already have a few other boats I want to try it out on.

electric
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I will do a full writeup and posting of pics for everyone once I get the boat in my shop. That way the weight of all the components will be as produced. The outboard I originally tested with was a bit heavier than the production unit is, so we'll see where the final battery positions end up. LOTs of room in the battery box to shift things around...

I'm hoping it'll arrive today.

Darin, is makes sense that you would get the boat sooner, just hoping yours comes as part of a larger shipment !! chuckle. The long wait until the end of June begins.......maybe , just maybe it will come sooner than stated???

Brushless55
06-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Will this boat bind to a DX6i ?
cuz I do have that radio and that could work

mike robson
06-06-2010, 06:37 PM
got mine on order will be here soon as it hits the LHS i get the first one.

mike robson
06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Well i wonder what radio we can bind it to my tactic 2.4 i got like 5 radios one of them should work huh DARIN ?

JMSCARD
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Steve when will OSE have them? I know it will probably be tough to get at first... Is there a pre order line? Haven't ever had a tunnel... always been considering one.... since the company who got me hooked on r/c boats with their bj26 bl is coming out with one I owe it to them to sign up for one...... I'm havin' it!

I'll run it on 4s for awhile then put a larger esc in and try 5s...... like I did with my BJ.... if its anything like that motor it will take it and come back cool as a cucumber:)

Oh, by the way Darin, Props to you helping to bring a beauty of a boat to us all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god I kept my dx3.0.... I knew there was a reason....

AndyKunz
06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Will this boat bind to a DX6i ?
cuz I do have that radio and that could work

Yes. MR3000 will bind to any of the aircraft transmitters, but Marine transmitters like the DS3E won't bind to ARxxxx (aircraft) receivers.

Well i wonder what radio we can bind it to my tactic 2.4 i got like 5 radios one of them should work huh DARIN ?

No, with 2.4 you always need to stay with the same name brand. The only exception is JR and Spektrum work together.

Thank god I kept my dx3.0.... I knew there was a reason....

Hopefully it was one of the newer ones with the Marine capability (boat logo on the sticker). If not, you will need to use a Surface (car) receiver. For that I recommend the SR3100.

Andy

Shane_744
06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Sweet! I didn't have the knowledge or time to setup the boat I have always wanted. A brushless Tunnel Hull ready to run! For less than $500!
This boat will probably get me back in!

Thanks!

electric
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Estimated ship date has changed from end of June to mid July.

electric
06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Revised. Still mid-July..