PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor turnigy 180

ezhitz
05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Was wondering if somebody new where in canada I could get some 35v 1000uf
capacitors to replace a couple on my Turnigy 180 that looked like they leaked.

Thanks

ksm2001
05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Might have some luck from this place, they are located here in Edmonton, AB. They have a lot of electronic supplies on hand and if not they probably can get it for you if you ask.

www.mroelectronics.com

Ken

Make-a-Wake
05-26-2010, 11:48 PM
I use Digi-key corp.............not in Canada, but right across the border in Minnesota. These 1000's are 82 cents each

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P5544-ND

LiPo Power
05-26-2010, 11:57 PM
http://www.sayal.com/

ezhitz
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks lipo tried Sayal and they didn't carry the same size 12.5mm x 20mm Does anybody
know if i used 25v would be a problem.I talked to one place had a 25.00 min and 14.00 shipping almost might as well get a new esc.

m4a1usr
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Newark has some available, search for ultra low esr caps, and then theres these guys. http://www.kintecracing.com/Electrical.html or maybe buy an ETTI cap board from OSE and do some mod's to your speedo?

John

BakedMopar
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
When adding extra caps do the new ones "have" to be exactly the same (ie: manufacture, temp rating ect.). Or can you just get away with the same voltage and uf rating.

LiPo Power
06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Same specs would be by the book.
I use same voltage but higher capacity and possibly higher temperature, works fine for me.
Robert

When adding extra caps do the new ones "have" to be exactly the same (ie: manufacture, temp rating ect.). Or can you just get away with the same voltage and uf rating.

m4a1usr
06-22-2010, 07:49 PM

One esc manufacturer specifies that you must use the EXACT cap if you want the warranty. I have asked several folks who have designed various esc and or are double ee's about the implications of using more or less capacitance then the esc was designed with and here is what the consensus seems to be.

It is alright to add larger caps then the esc comes with. What I couldnt get an answer was where is the limit? Can I add a 1 farad monster off my mobile sound system and the answer was no. Too much capacitance can create RF issues. Like glitching. The FET's switching on an off create radio frequencies. Inside your esc.

So where do you draw the line? I dont know. My opinion is that increase it by only a modest amount and you wont make things bad, if any at all. Double it and see. I certainly wouldnt add huge amounts. If your esc has five 470 micro farad caps in parallel you have approx 2350 micro farads in the batt circuit. Do you want to add more caps to increase capacitance? I would think it should go the other way. Decrease the value. But I could be wrong.

John

drwayne
06-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Low esr capacitors draw masssive amounts of energy on recharge
When there are a large number, the recharge can create a nanosecond EXTREME energy draw ... fortunately the wire between battery and cap may act as a buffer and reduce shock to the battery... it's why some cables get hot in stressed setups.
Higher capacity / more caps increases this risk of battery failure due continuous peak/excess discharge.

Too many caps can have an adverse affect on performance and longevity of components.

Id not exceed 3300uf for 25C5000(125A cont).. or 6400uf for 45C5000(225A cont ) for a high draw setup
shorter battery cables is better than a big bank of caps to compensate.

use voltage rated caps at least 30% higher than your batts.
eg 35V for 6S ... 63V for 12S.. allows head room for spikes.

regs
Wayne ...