PDA

View Full Version : Hard case Lipos

C-Mac
05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I bought some hard case lipos and they do not fit in my EKOS even after removing the battery tray. My question is can I remove the hard case and shrink wrap them? If so is there a special way to do it and what do I use, just regular shrink wrap and a heat gun?

Thanks in advance for the help
C-mac

ED66677
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I bet hard case Lipo's are already shrink wraped!

hide
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
You can remove the case but it is usually stuck to the cells so it can be tricky (and dangerous).

davidb
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Mine were not shrink wrapped and it is tricky and dangerous! They are working fine after I took the hard case off but I won't do it again!!

exotica
05-28-2010, 11:43 PM
...I wouldnt risk it. Ide sell them and buy something that suits. dont run the risk of damaging the lipos as moisure will cause serious problems and possible fire/explosion.

BSBMX
05-30-2010, 05:30 PM
I attempted removing the hardcase from two of my Zippy hardcase 2s lipos. One, I was successful. The other I accidently punctured while removing the hardcase and ruptured in my kitchen sink after I chucked it into it. Very scary--won't do that again, at least definitely not inside.

Unless you have one of those bomb-dismantling robots that you can operate from a safe distance to attempt to remove the hardcase, I don't recommend it.

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 12:18 AM
why are the Hard Case packs cheaper? :confused2:
and are they ok for most of our boats, any issues with hard case packs in boats?

exotica
06-03-2010, 01:28 AM
...dont know why they are cheaper but ive been using them since I got my cat and no problems.

exotica
06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
..bought 2x 7.4v 5500mah lipo for my 4s set up and they are great. At $100 for the both you cant go wrong!

sailr
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
could be because they sell such a high volume of them to the car guys. Also, they can put less than perfect cells in there and you can't see the difference. Although the cells are chemically OK, they could be bent, dented or distorted in some other way. Putting them in a hard case is a good way to not have to throw them away. I have no proof of this but in my opinion is makes sense.

why are the Hard Case packs cheaper? :confused2:
and are they ok for most of our boats, any issues with hard case packs in boats?

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
could be because they sell such a high volume of them to the car guys. Also, they can put less than perfect cells in there and you can't see the difference. Although the cells are chemically OK, they could be bent, dented or distorted in some other way. Putting them in a hard case is a good way to not have to throw them away. I have no proof of this but in my opinion is makes sense.

I like your thinking..
as long as they perform just fine, I guess the savings would be worth it.. :confused1:

Brushless55
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Well I guess I'll order 6 or so more 2s packs buy with Hardcases :thumbup1: