PDA

View Full Version : Supervee 27 Quality Issues

SweetAccord
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the R/C hobby, as R/C cars are also under my wing for over 30 years. :smile:

I have never had and issue with quality with R/C's until I got into boating. :cursing:

It all began after I fell in love with the Supervee 27 when I saw them at my local lake racing. I found them at the local hobby shop and happily made a purchase, but when I got home found the rear hull was cracked under the turn fin. I returned it and compromised on another color (I got white), and found flaws such as lines in the paint finish, scratches, scuffs, and best of all a "booger" like piece of coating hanging off the nose tip of the boat. Looks like they hang them nose down to dry the coating and it has dripped down to the front?

I ended up not making a purchase that day. Instead I started to look at other shops in the area to only find no one has any but all happy to place and order. When I did find some, same (similar) flaws. I decided to look online but feared that if I can't inspect it I'm asking for trouble. Well, I made the plunge and took the chance and ordered it online only to receive the same (different) flaws, and this one was even better! On the side it looked like there was a hole and it was patched and coated over? I even saw a long piece of hair or dust particle under the finish of the hull on top.

I can't believe that the quality control is this bad with Hobbico for the cost of these boats. Since they are "hand laid fiberglass" you would think the "craft" of hand laid would be somewhat acceptable? I'm frustrated starting in the RC boating. No shop has them near me and when they do they are flawed all over the place, and with online vender's I can't inspect nor will they inspect as well as I would the best of the bunch and send that to me. I was informed that since there is no "competing" RTR company that the quality is not going to be there. Has anyone or is anyone else experiencing this? :cursing:

kck741
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I Right there with you man When I bought mine 2 of the 3 blades on the prop were broke off!!!

SweetAccord
10-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I Right there with you man When I bought mine 2 of the 3 blades on the prop were broke off!!!

Oh, I'll take the blades broken anytime, easily replaced right? but the hull?? That is like 80% of the whole product! Ugh~ :sad:

SweetAccord
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Ok! How do I purchase this little guy in the states?

http://www.microhydros.com/stephan_lindenau/stephan.htm

I don't see a way to purchase this boat, as on WWW.hydroworld.de where is states you can purchase it, I can't find it. Maybe cause I CAN"T READ THIS LANGUAGE :cursing: So is there anything like it here in the states?

Steven Vaccaro
10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the R/C hobby, as R/C cars are also under my wing for over 30 years. :smile:

I have never had and issue with quality with R/C's until I got into boating. :cursing:

It all began after I fell in love with the Supervee 27 when I saw them at my local lake racing. I found them at the local hobby shop and happily made a purchase, but when I got home found the rear hull was cracked under the turn fin. I returned it and compromised on another color (I got white), and found flaws such as lines in the paint finish, scratches, scuffs, and best of all a "booger" like piece of coating hanging off the nose tip of the boat. Looks like they hang them nose down to dry the coating and it has dripped down to the front?

I ended up not making a purchase that day. Instead I started to look at other shops in the area to only find no one has any but all happy to place and order. When I did find some, same (similar) flaws. I decided to look online but feared that if I can't inspect it I'm asking for trouble. Well, I made the plunge and took the chance and ordered it online only to receive the same (different) flaws, and this one was even better! On the side it looked like there was a hole and it was patched and coated over? I even saw a long piece of hair or dust particle under the finish of the hull on top.

I can't believe that the quality control is this bad with Hobbico for the cost of these boats. Since they are "hand laid fiberglass" you would think the "craft" of hand laid would be somewhat acceptable? I'm frustrated starting in the RC boating. No shop has them near me and when they do they are flawed all over the place, and with online vender's I can't inspect nor will they inspect as well as I would the best of the bunch and send that to me. I was informed that since there is no "competing" RTR company that the quality is not going to be there. Has anyone or is anyone else experiencing this? :cursing:

Since these have been out of stock for 4 months it seems you are getting the junk no one could sell.

The short and long of it is its a diamond in the rough. There is not other boat to compete with it, in that price range. Most of the repairs or changes are minimal. The hole in the side is weird. I havent heard that one yet. Props do get broken. We have had some of those. We now rebox them before shipping them out.

You could buy a custom boat from one of the builders but that will be in the range of around $1000-$1500. Or you could buy a ToysPort hull and equip it how you like, its about as good as it gets.

SJFE
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
You can also wait on the Proboat brushless blackjack. Boats are just not as big a piece of the market as cars and trucks. As Steven said most issues are small. Boats are a bit more work but much more rewarding imo. Read the forums for the prep work needed before you run and you will be fine. I miss my SV more than I thought I would. I think about a new one all the time.

Mich. Maniac
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
I am just LOVING YOUR SV SJFE. Tis now ready for a final paint job and throw it back together. no more cracks, even though they were tiny. Most of all no more yellowing clear coat. I have had about 6 SV27's go through my hands in the last year and they all were in great running condition. anytime you throw a light-weight piece of glass around like we do, your gonna get a crack now and den.

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Since these have been out of stock for 4 months it seems you are getting the junk no one could sell.

Ok, so where am I to get the "good one's" then? :smile:

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
What is and where do I find the "ToysPort hull"? :smile:

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok another question, so can Offshoreelectrics take this hull they carry:

Product ID: delta25
Delta Force 25 Boat Hull (if it's better quality) It's already white-yippie!

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=delta25

and set a motor mount like in the Supervee and put in a radio box and all the hardware (fins, rudder, etc) with the ESC and make a competitive system with and all I have to do is have a radio/servo and the receiver and fall under the same price or less of the RTR Supervee?

Or offer a kit around this hull with the Supervee guts and hardware where it's assembled and you add your own radio/motor?

Steven Vaccaro
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok another question, so can Offshoreelectrics take this hull they carry:

Product ID: delta25
Delta Force 25 Boat Hull (if it's better quality) It's already white-yippie!

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=delta25

and set a motor mount like in the Supervee and put in a radio box and all the hardware (fins, rudder, etc) with the ESC and make a competitive system with and all I have to do is have a radio/servo and the receiver and fall under the same price or less of the RTR Supervee?

Or offer a kit around this hull with the Supervee guts and hardware where it's assembled and you add your own radio/motor?

If I could do that and make money I would be a very rich man. It takes a good 8 hours to build a boat from start to finish. I build them here and there, when things are slow. I charge $300 for labor plus parts. So the short answer is no. I cant match that price.

Steven Vaccaro
10-04-2007, 01:28 PM

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=9

Flying Scotsman
10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, so where am I to get the "good one's" then? :smile:

SweetAccord. I suggest you buy a new SV27 if you have tossed your other hulls and make your own changes to the drive. Steven is correct the SV27 is a diamond in the rough. Research the forums on this hull and modify as you see fit, or buy a bare hull from some other manufacturer e.g. BBY, H & M etc. and do your own thing. Keep us posted as to your developments.

Doug

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 01:59 PM
If I could do that and make money I would be a very rich man. It takes a good 8 hours to build a boat from start to finish. I build them here and there, when things are slow. I charge $300 for labor plus parts. So the short answer is no. I cant match that price.

I'm confused here. 8 hours to glue a radio box and drill holes for the hardware in a pre-made quality hull? :huh:

Lemme ask this way, is there a hull with the drive already installed and I can add the ESC/receiver/motor and use my radio? Like a Supervee kit minus the electronics? I guess I'm looking for a Supervee clone (better quality hull) without having to drill or paint anything. Just add the electronics and go. ??

Flying Scotsman
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm confused here. 8 hours to glue a radio box and drill holes for the hardware in a pre-made quality hull? :huh:

SweetAccord buy a bare hull and if you can finish the package in under 8 hours..you are the man.

Doug

Flying Scotsman
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Lemme ask this way, is there a hull with the drive already installed and I can add the ESC/receiver/motor and use my radio? Like a Supervee kit minus the electronics? I guess I'm looking for a Supervee clone (better quality hull) without having to drill or paint anything. Just add the electronics and go. ??

RTR hulls are what you want. But they come with suspect electonics, etc. Buy a high quality bare hull. as you will be disapointed with changes you make on an RTR

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM
SweetAccord buy a bare hull and if you can finish the package in under 8 hours..you are the man.

Doug

Thank you Doug and Steven and anyone's input.

I'm new to this, so what am I missing. Isn't the hull premade? Isn't the hull already painted and coated? :smile:

The description is as the following:

Delta Force 25 Fiberglass Hull. These light weight fiberglass boats are built for Fast Electric Rc Boat Racing. Designed as a deep vee with a small rear pad makes this boat both handle well and achieve a very good top speed. Hull and deck are joined leaving only a very small pencil width seam, similar to the European designed hulls.

Measures: 25.5" x 8"

Comes as a bare hull.

Basic Power & Hardware Recommendations:

Cells: 6-8 NiMH Cells or 2s Lipo
Brushed Motor 540, 550, 600 size. Or
Feigao "L" Size Brushless.
Hardware: Octura Offset System pn#oct-oc6str-130da

I don't see what it says the hull needs to be painted or treated or coated? All I see by the pic is no drive installed so that can't take 8 hours (drilling), and the area to mount the motor(glue the wood motor mount). What am I still missing here?

Steven Vaccaro
10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=9

Flying Scotsman
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm new to this, so what am I missing. Isn't the hull premade? Isn't the hull already painted and coated? :smile:

Last answer, yes the hull may be finished if it is fibreglass..ABS no.
The hard part on building a boat is motor, ESC, prop, power source, etc. requirements
Research the build forum and this may give you some answers.

Doug

Steven Vaccaro
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you Doug and Steven and anyone's input.

The description is as the following:

Delta Force 25 Fiberglass Hull. These light weight fiberglass boats are built for Fast Electric Rc Boat Racing. Designed as a deep vee with a small rear pad makes this boat both handle well and achieve a very good top speed. Hull and deck are joined leaving only a very small pencil width seam, similar to the European designed hulls.

Measures: 25.5" x 8"

Comes as a bare hull.

Basic Power & Hardware Recommendations:

Cells: 6-8 NiMH Cells or 2s Lipo
Brushed Motor 540, 550, 600 size. Or
Feigao "L" Size Brushless.
Hardware: Octura Offset System pn#oct-oc6str-130da

I don't see what it says the hull needs to be painted or treated or coated? All I see by the pic is no drive installed so that can't take 8 hours (drilling), and the area to mount the motor(glue the wood motor mount). What am I still missing here?

Getting things right takes time. Aligning the stuffing tube correct is the most time consuming. Than theres wiring and soldering, setting up servo linkage. Dont forget about a water test. Nothing worse than getting a expensive boat and having it break on the first run.

I guess all thats left is for you to give a go at it. :biggrin:
When you get them down to the same cost as a super vee, count me in on one. :biggrin:

Steven Vaccaro
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
This guy did in 3 hours most of it all.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=1450

You want a boat thats half done? What about the wiring, cooling system and other minor things? Like I said in the other post. Give it a try. We are here to help along the way.

SweetAccord
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok, that is more detailed and specific, I see.....so.........Is there a parts list (minus the hull I may select) to order so to have all that I will need to build a boat like a Supervee and just have to decide on a hull add in my radio and ESC?

I like the Delta Force 25 Boat Hull, or the Delta Force Vortex Hydro. Where and how do you mount the ESC or you kinda have to be creative on the install? The Supervee has a radio box, is that done? I see posts where people just lay the electronics on the hull floor?

I'm know I'm driving you all nutts!

Flying Scotsman
10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Ok, that is more detailed and specific, I see.....so.........Is there a parts list (minus the hull I may select) to order so to have all that I will need to build a boat like a Supervee and just have to decide on a hull add in my radio and ESC?

I like the Delta Force 25 Boat Hull, or the Delta Force Vortex Hydro. Where and how do you mount the ESC or you kinda have to be creative on the install? The Supervee has a radio box, is that done? I see posts where people just lay the electronics on the hull floor?

I'm know I'm driving you all nutts!

SweetAccord. I suggest you review this site and RRR and then come back with your questions. Also for your info ... Good RTR electric boats cost $270 and up. Bare hull boats start at $500 with compenents, minus the radio

Rex R
10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
some time back I priced out what I would purchase if I were to buy a delta force 25 from this site...with out radio and batteries the price was $500. given the higher price of the esc today it would likely be closer to $600. having built one or two boats I can tell you that even getting a fiberglass hull(bare) doesn't cut construction time much(as opposed to building a hull from scratch). radio boxes are most often used when you expect/plan on getting water inside the boat.

SweetAccord
01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Well I finally go my SV27 and it's cherry and I'm pleased now. Took a while to go through a few bad ones, but I finally got a clean one!

Ctonez
01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Well I finally go my SV27 and it's cherry and I'm pleased now. Took a while to go through a few bad ones, but I finally got a clean one!

Way to be persistent! I did the same a year ago...I went through 3 before I settled.
I still really enjoy this boat.

soggybottom
01-26-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm another guy with one year experience with the SV27. It's a hands-on boat for sure; tear down and re-seal, wood batt surround mods, replace flex cable and standardize collet, tape down hatch, etc. I plowed into a styrofoam turn pin twice on last race of 2007 and cracked the paint horizontally on the transom and sides due to flex and due to rudder locked in place without ability to kick up. Always learning with this boat. For a first-timer, I'd do it all again...just remember that if you're gonna race, be prepared to mess around with it.....Cheers!