PDA

View Full Version : XS Cat help

MattyTyler
10-02-2007, 07:56 AM
hey guys,
im currently building an modified XS cat. the plan is to use 2 12turn quad peak motors, with a gearbox, turning single prop with dual rudders, can someone please suggest a setup that i could use, for gearbox, and rudders.

cheerz matty

Rex R
10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Comment;
dual motors isn't going to leave much room for batteries.

MattyTyler
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
thats why i wanted to use a gear box to get the motors close together, the main hull has also been widened to help allow for this.
ill put some photos up tonight of a mockup if you want. please can someone reccomend where i can get a gear box and all the drive gear, as i havnt been able to find one.
cheerz matty

Fluid
10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
The Hughey gearbox is the best for your application. Try to find a used one on one of the boat forums, or call Ed at 317-566-9708.

How do you intend to wire the motors, and how many cells do you intend to use? Dual 12-turns in parallel on 12 cells will pull serious amps and the motors will wear rapidly. Wired in series makes a more sense, power will be down a bit but with the correct gears you can be plenty fast.

Why not forego the expensive, high-maintenance 05s on gears and run a single 700 motor direct? Performance will be plenty and it will be more fun and less work. That's what I'd do if I built it today.

MattyTyler
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
hey,
i live in Australia so parts have to be orders over the web.
i found this gear box http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm scroll down.
i wanted to use the 12t motors as i already have them, and want to use them, was playing on using 12 3800mAh packs until 1 died so i am undecided on what batteries to use, i have a tekin gold fet 2 esc that can handle 24 cells, this was in my last mono that ran twin motors on twin props which was the plan for this cat, but space wont allow, i also found on the above link the single prop dual rudder setup,
will this work?

cheerz matty