PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a club in Charlotte, NC

wizard122
05-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi guys I know your out there I meet 4 new people so far if theres any one interested in forming a club I spoke to the parks dept here in Pineville and theres hope to put a club together so step forward and let your selves be heard. Send me a PM if interested thanks Brad

Bigmaxy
05-18-2010, 03:54 AM
I'll join your club if you find me an IT job to apply for over there. Just need to find an employer willing to sponsor an Aussie looking to work on an E3 Visa.
Looking to move to NC. :Praying:
I'll bring my Sprintcat 40 with me.....

mdunham
05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm in..As u know my father in-law just bought his "21st" rc boat and his first fast electric(sv)..so far as i can tell it will be myself, you, diesel, ur son Ian,and my father in-law(scottrp1)..we all now have sv 27's and live close together!! i think we are off to a great start!!

wizard122
05-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Theres one more Drewmugx5 is waiting for his boat hope we can all get together and run soon.

Diesel6401
06-30-2010, 08:07 PM
You already know I want in... :rockon2:

wizard122
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
We need to find a permanent place to run so we can set up markers and have access all of the time. Any thoughts?

skiking1739
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
As you know, Wizard, I'm up here in Statesville, NC, with a Supervee, and a UL-1. I run up here at Top of the Lake on Lake Norman; but it's an iffy site, in a secluded cove, but on a public waterway, but at least I can walk to it. Early morning or late evenings are my best run times - even then you have to show some patience.

Check out the link below on small lakes (by county) for SC & NC. You can cut and paste the latitude and longitude to a google map for a good satellite view.

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes

I have looked at Earnhardt Lake (Cabarrus county) and Carrigan Farms (Iredell county), but nothing concrete yet.

Kindly keep me posted.

SkiKing

skiking1739
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
As you know, Wizard, I'm up here in Statesville, NC, with a Supervee, and a UL-1. I run up here at Top of the Lake on Lake Norman; but it's an iffy site, in a secluded cove, but on a public waterway, but at least I can walk to it. Early morning or late evenings are my best run times - even then you have to show some patience.

Check out the link below on small lakes (by county) for SC & NC. You can cut and paste the latitude and longitude to a google map for a good satellite view.

Kindly keep me posted.

SkiKing

skiking1739
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the double post. My bad.

Diesel6401
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Kindly keep me posted.

SkiKing

I'm in Cornelius. Exit 28 off of I77, shouldn't be to far from you. I would like to think I have have a pretty good spot to run, also on lake norman.

skiking1739
07-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Diesel,

I viewed your SV Run and your UL Run, and that does indeed looks like a pretty good spot to run. (By the way - that SV is humming with that UL-1 Motor-also that was a gutsy move with that 7xl in the UL-1, Wow!)

I can't quite figure out your exact location, and as you know, Exit 28 incorporates a lot of lake territory. Are you up near Rusty Rudder, or closer to Ramsey Creek and Mid-town?

I would probably boat down the lake - By water, I'm at Channel Marker 25 at Buffalo Shoal Bridge, Bills Marina and JB Frogs (great entertainment). It's actually quicker by water than road - I'm off 77N at Exit 45 - besides, I'd rather be on the water.

Here's a short video of my Supervee before I switched to lipos. I was running (2) 7Cell Duratrax 4200's at the time and a CF-45 Prop, stock motor. I know lipos are better - but those NIMHs were strong IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0qChQTu_vs

As a group I hope we can find that magic place to run.

Later,
SkiKing

PS: I normally don't work on Fridays.

Diesel6401
07-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Diesel,

I viewed your SV Run and your UL Run, and that does indeed looks like a pretty good spot to run. (By the way - that SV is humming with that UL-1 Motor-also that was a gutsy move with that 7xl in the UL-1, Wow!)

I can't quite figure out your exact location, and as you know, Exit 28 incorporates a lot of lake territory. Are you up near Rusty Rudder, or closer to Ramsey Creek and Mid-town?

I would probably boat down the lake - By water, I'm at Channel Marker 25 at Buffalo Shoal Bridge, Bills Marina and JB Frogs (great entertainment). It's actually quicker by water than road - I'm off 77N at Exit 45 - besides, I'd rather be on the water.

Here's a short video of my Supervee before I switched to lipos. I was running (2) 7Cell Duratrax 4200's at the time and a CF-45 Prop, stock motor. I know lipos are better - but those NIMHs were strong IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0qChQTu_vs

As a group I hope we can find that magic place to run.

Later,
SkiKing

PS: I normally don't work on Fridays.

P.M. Sent

skiking1739
07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the P.M.

Looking good for a Lake Norman Hookup.

You have a P.M.

Thanks,
SkiKing

skiking1739
07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
We need to find a permanent place to run so we can set up markers and have access all of the time. Any thoughts?

Wizard,

Are there any more thoughts on where to run as a small group? I have looked at
(2) small lakes so far; but their both close to where I live, and not much response. I don't have a problem with traveling to Pineville or anywhere that is accessible.

Diesel and I are up here on Lake Norman, and hopefully we can hook up when we get our schedules get worked out.

As a thought, I called the Ranger at Lake Norman State Park this morning (again in my territory); because they built a brand new swimming facility on Lake Norman, and are not using the small swimming lake that they use to. It is perfect for RC's, with a beach access and tree lined for smooth water and separated (isolated is a better word) from Lake Norman by a spillway. They also have a bath house and facilities. It is in the Troutman, NC area.

I didn't go into detail about how fast these boats run. I did say they were electric RC boats up to 30" - but I think they're probably thinking toy boats and maybe slower speeds, plus they don't want 20 or 30 people there (they told me that). They do have paddle boats and canoes for rent - but our run area could be separated and used just by us.

We have the green light, but they need more details before we proceed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
SkiKing

wizard122
07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
That sounds good the Idea is to be able to set up buoys to Namba specs they are easy to make so if we where to go to any races are boats would be set up for it plus I just think its more fun when there is some kind of track to run around. We would just need a way to put them out there and mark it out. Less Chance of hitting each other. The races consist of 5 lap heats. 3 qualifiers and a main. Any way thats just my 2 cents let me know how you feel about this I don't think we have that many people yet and we could get some kind of insurance from Namba.

Thanks Brad

Just checked out that area on a map and that is over an hour for me not sure I want to travel that far hope we can come up with something in-between.

skiking1739
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree - having a course layout would be much more fun. How many club members are required for NAMBA membership? Anyone know?

I personally don't think the Lake Norman State Park would allow us to run a bouyed course, but it never hurts to ask. Then the distance is a problem since we're so spread out. Maybe we could have more than one venue - who knows.

As a waterskier for many years on Lake Norman, we had a small club that set-up and operated a waterski slalom course for 13 years. We had the capability of lowering the course for the weekend, due to lake traffic. During those times when skiing, I would run an imaginary slalom course - much like I do now for RC boats. BUT THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE!!
Lets keep working on it.

Thanks for your input.

SkiKing
aka Larry

wizard122
07-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks too we'll just have to keep looking

riptide1
04-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Hello, I just found this thread! I have been posting on the thread you started on the RRR forum in hopes of meeting up at the Pineville Lake Park. I also frequent the north part of Lake Norman in Sherrills Ford. If any of you guys want to run sometime let me know ...I just finished a DF Sniper 45 ...it's slow on 8s but check the video of it running at the Pineville pond ... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23845

Diesel6401
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Sweet another guy in the area. Me wizard and mdunham have meet up and pinville before. I run in lake norman and in a pond in davidson most of the time. I try and get out once a week sun-tues. Anytime you want to meet up let me know. Dieselap2002@yahoo.com

CHUD
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
hay guys if there's a place to camp close, I'm trying to get me a 28feet terrycamper and would love to bring my boats this summer ,Maybe talk HJ in comming too.:Peace_Sign:

d.a.v.e
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I have run a few times in the pond in the university area in the middle of all the shops. Always thought that would be a good place to get folks together (other then the cement walls the boats could hit). Over the years I have seen several folks try sailing clubs there.

jjenkins
07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey, I just recently got back in to rc boats. Been racing 1/8 buggies for quite sometime.
I picked up a aq.hammer few weeks ago and it gave me the bug again. So I just picked up a Motley Crew. I live in New London, NC and currently am running by myself on my 3 acre pond.
Y'all guys in the Charlotte area still trying to get together?
Would love to get together and actually do some racing:thumbup:

riptide1
07-06-2011, 07:02 PM
D.A.V.E and jjenkins,

Welcome ....I'm running my boats at least every other week this summer ...and like the club idea. Sunday's have been a good day for everyone I have talked to ...the ideal location for a club to meet should be discussed. I personally like to run in a lake, like Norman in smooth water even though it is a far piece from Matthews, NC.

~Brian

Diesel6401
07-08-2011, 12:00 AM
D.A.V.E and jjenkins,

Welcome ....I'm running my boats at least every other week this summer ...and like the club idea. Sunday's have been a good day for everyone I have talked to ...the ideal location for a club to meet should be discussed. I personally like to run in a lake, like Norman in smooth water even though it is a far piece from Matthews, NC.

~Brian

Sorry couldn't meet up with you Rip... Still in the process of moving from Cornelius to Huntersville. LKN is cool, but I like MDunhams pond a lot. Good distance from me though, there has to be a decent place to run in Uptown. I ran at Freedom Park before. It wasn't terrible. Not sure if Pineville park is still low level. Sundays around noon are without a doubt best days for me

riptide1
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
MDunham's pond in Indian Trail is nice...not a bad drive from the University area via I-485(D.A.VE.) or Albemarle via hwy 27(jjenkins)....but I do hit turtles every time I'm out and have to straighten props and such ...also the fisherman yell and give you the one-finger salute :Shame_on_You:

jjenkins
07-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Got an address ? Anyone going out over the weekend?

Fixing to put down some markers in my pond. From the looks for the namba/imba courses I've got the room.

riptide1
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Did you mark off a race oval ....that's sounds really cool? Anyone want to get together and run on short notice this weekend? PM and we can exchange numbers and figure out a place.

Got an address ? Anyone going out over the weekend?

Fixing to put down some markers in my pond. From the looks for the namba/imba courses I've got the room.

jjenkins
07-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Not yet , out of town for a buggy race

riptide1
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm planning to run this Sunday at Indian Trail if you're interested.
Not yet , out of town for a buggy race

riptide1
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
anyone going out to run boats this weekend?

Chilli
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey guys, there is a nitro guy in the International Waters Forum www.intlwaters.com looking for guys to run with in Charlotte. I posted this thread for him to view but he cant because he is not a member. If any of you are registered on IW, could you drop him a PM. His screen name is anthony_marquart

We could always use another IMPBA club in District 12. Especially in North Carolina.:wink:

Thanks!!