PDA

View Full Version : use baking soda to thicken epoxy or cure super glue instantly

dana
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
dunno if anyone was familiar with this method... but you can thicken epoxy with baking soda. This also seems to make the epoxy cure super hard! also it can be used to instantly cure super glue. Fill a hole or chip with baking soda then a drop of water thin super glue, works instantly and can be sanded immediately. use it however you want to. mixing with epoxy will make the epoxy heavier...which i dont think is such a bad thing, because while making a super light boat will give it speed, a little bit of weight will make it more stable in my experience. Thats all! thanks, Dana

Jeff Wohlt
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
That crap must work for everything!

dana
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
lol jeff superglue or baking soda? haha

AndyKunz
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
It makes the glues VERY brittle. Brittle, as in "shatters like glass" not "tough as nails."

But it does cure the CA quicker (watch the fumes).

Andy

m4a1usr
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
It makes the glues VERY brittle. Brittle, as in "shatters like glass" not "tough as nails."

But it does cure the CA quicker (watch the fumes).

Andy

I've seen that before as well. Makes the epoxy too hard and subject to shock fractures. If you want cyanoacrylate to harden instantly just add a drop of water to its surface. Instantly hardens it.

John

AndyKunz
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
So does exhaling on it.

Or touching it with your finger tongue, lips, fingers, or other body parts.

Andy

dana
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
well im not suggesting doing any major structural repair/building with it, but it has its uses

DISAR
05-19-2010, 06:02 AM
I tried baby powder to thicken epoxy and worked well

mappo
05-19-2010, 05:16 PM
dunno if anyone was familiar with this method... but you can thicken epoxy with baking soda. This also seems to make the epoxy cure super hard! also it can be used to instantly cure super glue. Fill a hole or chip with baking soda then a drop of water thin super glue, works instantly and can be sanded immediately. use it however you want to. mixing with epoxy will make the epoxy heavier...which i dont think is such a bad thing, because while making a super light boat will give it speed, a little bit of weight will make it more stable in my experience. Thats all! thanks, Dana

I use talcum powder!

tsenecal
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
epoxy manufacturers claim most of these things will weaken the epoxy, but west systems makes all kinds of fillers and thickeners that work much better with the epoxy...

of course these all cost more than baby/talcum powder and baking soda... and they are all made by the epoxy manufacturer...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/filler-selection-guide/

AndyKunz
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
There are different types of microballoons. They are chemically inert. Talc, baking soda, water, etc. are NOT, and as a result they affect the epoxy.

Also, West (and other mfgs) tell you that you need to change the hardener/resin ratio when using fillers and dyes.

Andy

befu
05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
if you smoke, blowing a puff of smoke after a drag on a cig will also cure it. No idea why, but have seen others do it.

Brian

ozoneone
05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-pt-715

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-topr1090