PDA

View Full Version : Great 1/7th Scale race until....

tharmer
05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dxlz7REPk

Spot Me 2
05-17-2010, 12:47 AM
That will always ruin your day!!!

Jeff Wohlt
05-17-2010, 12:59 AM
That sucks but excellent racing!!! How man of you guys are running the big wiredrives on those? Seems I made a bunch for those boats.

Xfactor
05-17-2010, 12:59 AM
see what I mean about racing a scale.

Xfactor
05-17-2010, 01:00 AM
whats your motors prop combos ?

Jeff Wohlt
05-17-2010, 01:05 AM
If I am not mistaken I think most of them were running the big outrunners and 8 or 10S but that is just what a few mentioned when buying drives.

Those are big friggin boats!

Brushless55
05-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Wow, those are big!
and sweet looking, big huge rooster tails!

crabstick
05-17-2010, 01:55 AM
are these the same 1/7 scale guys running the Scorpion outrunners?

tharmer
05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes. The Scorpion 4035-800 outrunner on 8s. Boats are about 49 inches long, 12 to 20 lbs (the Oberto in the vid is almost 20 lbs in the water), speeds in the 50's. I'm running one of Jeff's wire drives on my Seattle Too and it works great.

One heat takes about 3000 ma of current. Most boats run 8s2p...I run 8s1p and save two pounds but it wears out the batteries.

Required prop for the vintage boats is a Graupner CF. The K57L is most popular, some run the K51L and for long courses, the K63L.

-t

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Required prop for the vintage boats is a Graupner CF. The K57L is most popular, some run the K51L and for long courses, the K63L.

-t

What props do they allow in the modern boats??

buzzardu00
05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
all boats are required to run Graupner 2317 series props.
more info can be found at scalehydro.com

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
all boats are required to run Graupner 2317 series props.
more info can be found at scalehydro.com

Plastic props on 20lbs boats pushing out 5+hp????? That ought to be entertaining...

buzzardu00
05-17-2010, 03:18 PM
the 1/7 scales are in there second season running the Graupner props
and not a single one has broken, and they are entertaining!!

calcagno45
05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Pics of the damage? Looks fun tho!

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 03:51 PM
the 1/7 scales are in there second season running the Graupner props
and not a single one has broken, and they are entertaining!!

Well, that's good... Seems a pity to take such an important and fun part of racing and dumb it down to just bolting something on, but apparently it works for you. I suppose it does simplify things.

I'll have to get out and watch these run one of these days.

crabstick
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I guess that is a good step to keep it a spec class. Must be some close racing!

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess that is a good step to keep it a spec class. Must be some close racing!

Ya... but spec racing is like the SV27 class... all the same hulls, etc... not all hulls like or work with the same prop... These are certainly not all the same hulls, so it's more like you'd be building a boat around a prop, rather than the other way around.

Further, since you have the "register" which boats you want to build, there are advantages to picking certain hull-types, etc., so having a completely competitive field may be limited by what hulls are left.

None of my business, and certainly not bitching, as it's really none of my business... just making an observation.

crabstick
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Fully understand where you are coming from Darin, but I am assuming the class is limited to those props to keep it spec and cheap.It would remove the "Chequebook Racer" aspect, where some people due to their financial position can buy the best prepared props from Prop Guys.

like you say, Hull Type and driver would be the main factors IMO

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
... can buy the best prepared props from Prop Guys.

It's a complete mis-nomer that there are "prop guys" out there who sell you a bolt-on, ready to kick ass prop... every boat is different, and each prop... even the same props, must be tuned to work with the setup on your boat.

But, you are right... just spec'ing the props like this takes any of that out of the equation. You basically end up turning the boat of choice to work well in spite of the prop. Either way, the cream will still rise to the top.

crabstick
05-17-2010, 04:35 PM
It's a complete mis-nomer that there are "prop guys" out there who sell you a bolt-on, ready to kick ass prop... every boat is different, and each prop... even the same props, must be tuned to work with the setup on your boat.

Agreed, But the difference in a prop thats just been mildly sharpened and roughly balanced by joe blogs and a fully balanced, sharpened, thinned prepared prop from from say.... Dasboata or someone would be night and day yesno ? I know for sure my props are not at the level of someone like QDRevenger in our club who's props are an absolute work of art - and he has the oval and saw records to back it up.

Darin Jordan
05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Agreed, But the difference in a prop thats just been mildly sharpened and roughly balanced by joe blogs and a fully balanced, sharpened, thinned prepared prop from from say.... Dasboata or someone would be night and day yesno ?

I don't think the "night and day" starts happening until you start trimming and bending on them to tune them for your application. Would a thinned and balanced prop be better? Sure... but it's not the magic part, and that part can't be done through the mail or over the phone.

In general, you are right, however... it WILL take the prop tuning aspect out of the racing... If you have a boat that doesn't quite work right, you'll just have to try to drive around it, or tune around it, if there is anything on the boat that can be adjusted (struts, weight, etc.).

Sorry for the hijack, by the way... just was curious. Continue with your regularly scheduled "Awe" and drolling, now in progress... :beerchug:

RandyatBBY
05-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting the vid, are the hulls scratch built or FG? I like the idea for a spec motor and prop. interesting

buzzardu00
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
most of the hulls are carbon fiber composite with epoxy resin,

tharmer
05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
The Oberto was scratch built from (corrected) Newton plans. It took Eric about a year to build it. My Squire Shop is the only other scratch built 1/7th, again from Newton plans. The other hulls (so far) are from Campbell Bros. and are truely gorgeous. They come in a cabover version as well.

In the 1/10th scale racing they permit metal props for the modern class but Graupner for the Vintage. It seems to work fine for them.

-t

RandyatBBY
05-18-2010, 02:02 AM
If I ever get my head out of SAW's I will finish my 1/10 but, this year working on my fleet is a priority. Thanks for the info. I will go to the site for the 1/7th