PDA

View Full Version : Glass boat mold

Ocean Racer
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I would like to build a boat heres my Q. What would be a good material for a mold to lay the glass on and do i need to cover the mold with anything to keep the glass from sticking to the mold?

rlesinszki
10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Ocean Racer,
This is not a complete answer as this is much more involved than a simple answer can provide, but here is what I've done...

My mold's are made of fiberglass, epoxy and fillers. The plug and the mold's are all waxed with multiple layers of mold release wax.

Regards,

Rick

I would like to build a boat heres my Q. What would be a good material for a mold to lay the glass on and do i need to cover the mold with anything to keep the glass from sticking to the mold?

SJFE
10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I have looked into this. I went to a shop where Jeresy Skiffs & race garvies are made. It was a craft that had been handed down for a few generations. I am not saying be any means you can't learn it but it's not easy on your own. Be sure and do alot of research.
Tom

Ocean Racer
10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
rlesinszki maybe could u post some picks so i can get a better idea of how to do it:sleep:

rlesinszki
10-02-2007, 06:11 AM
I don't have that many pictures to provide of the whole process, but here is a site that describes the process ----> http://www.cstsales.com/fiberglass_parts.html

There are a few pictures here and there on my website mostly under the Submarine link ---> www.rickosplace.com

Rick

rlesinszki maybe could u post some picks so i can get a better idea of how to do it:sleep:

ED66677
10-02-2007, 07:26 AM
here's the thing, if you've never done it, forget it :)
molding the proper way is a difficult job, I would recommand shapping instead, like surfer or funborder make their board, it's easier, does not require any skill (or much less)
use a block (may more, one for the hull one for the deck, for the hatch) of polystyren, shape them as you like, cover these blocks with celophan (don't know if celophan is the proper world it's a very thin film used to cover food than can be extended...), apply then you resin and fiber (glass, carbon...) in appropriate layer (from the thicker to the thinner), once everything has hardened, paper sand it and finish it with filler if needed!
this is going to be heavier for sure, but a lot easier than proper molding!
if it all works fine, you can then think about make a mold of it... next step!

Ocean Racer
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
That was my original plan but i was going to use a foam block like get in a box with ur tv or boat but i couldnt find a big enof block to use.
Do u know were/how i can get a block of polstyren?

Rex R
10-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I got a sheet of 2" thick 'styrofoam'(tm) from the local lumber yard, as I recall it cost just under $20

ED66677
10-04-2007, 02:08 AM
styrofoam is even better because it is extruded and not expanded foam, it has higher density, but it is more difficult to work because it is extremely abrasive!
both materials are common use in France (hey hey that's where I leave) for house insulation
another negative point with polystyren is that, once you have shaped it, you have to wait at least one week and look at it, because of ambient humidity, some of the little expanded styren balls tend to expand again once in contact with moisture, so you will need to paper sand again

Stealth Assassin
10-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Ocean Racer,
This is not a complete answer as this is much more involved than a simple answer can provide, but here is what I've done...

My mold's are made of fiberglass, epoxy and fillers. The plug and the mold's are all waxed with multiple layers of mold release wax.

Regards,

Rick

Do you not use tooling gel?

rlesinszki
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
No - I have been doing custom painting and therefore do not need a glassy finished part - I use a skin coat of epoxy and fillers - then prime and paint!

Rick

Do you not use tooling gel?

Stealth Assassin
10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
No - I have been doing custom painting and therefore do not need a glassy finished part - I use a skin coat of epoxy and fillers - then prime and paint!

Rick

Do you have any pics of your paint work? I would like to see It. Where are you located?

Thanks,
Derrick

rlesinszki
10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Derrick,
I am in the Atlanta, GA area and run with Doug and Casey @ the Atlanta Model Boat club. My family has recently painted my sons boat (Tylor) and also a 6ft model of a Bell 230. I have all kinds of pictures of R/C Helicopters, Boats and Submarines that we've painted on my web site at www.rickosplace.com. (Tylors boat is on the main page under Kids Boats)

Regards,

Rick (aka Ricko) :thumbup1:

Do you have any pics of your paint work? I would like to see It. Where are you located?

Thanks,
Derrick

Diegoboy
10-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I think it needs to be www.rickosplace.com (http://www.rickosplace.com)

Ocean Racer
10-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Im not sure if i can make a really good mold and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that can make me a mold. Ive heard about a laser company that u send them ur design's and they send u a kit of ur design in wood. But they quite making them does anyone know of a place like that? If not ill try to make a mold out of some balsa and coat it with some epoxy and releasing wax like "rlesinszki" does with his fom molds.