PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy ESC

electric
05-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure I fried yet another ESC. This is getting expensive. This time though, I was actually running the data logger when it failed. You can see the amps getting up to around 170's,but only for a brief moment. Now when I plug in the esc it just beeps with a red light? The BEC does not power on the receiver either. Any last ditch idea before I toss this one in the trash? Physically, the ESC appears to be normal,no puffed caps.

By the way it was Turnigy 180amp esc, 4s, 580 6L motor,x442 prop on a Triton. I had about 9 runs on the ESC and it was never over about 120 degrees.

Given I had a 580 demag once before and take out my castle esc, I guess I am suspicious of the motor,but the amp draw shows nothing unusual.

electric
05-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Diagram showing up to about 2500 watts being generated. There was something odd with the voltage at the end though. Look how it drops way off at the very end and then pops back up? Not sure if that means anything or not. The batteries check out fine after the run.

Jeff Wohlt
05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Might try cutting the red wire for the bec and using a battery to power it and see what you get before you trash it.

electric
05-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks. I will give that a try..

electric
05-16-2010, 02:16 PM
No Luck, still just beeps. Thanks though.

m4a1usr
05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Why are there 13 power spikes in 72 seconds? Were you actualy going on/off cycles that many times in one minute and 12 seconds? I'm going by your watts graph.

John

sundog
05-16-2010, 03:10 PM
What bothers me are the abrupt dips in the last several runs or 'spikes'. Where it looks like you were letting up on the throttle in the middle of the runs. That might have been esc breaking down or a mechanical (connection) failure occuring.

Alexgar
05-16-2010, 03:41 PM
those are hard to kill .i melted a solder joint on the motor side and it burned up my esc. Apparently when only two leads are connectted its not good. Traxxas replaced it for free out of warranty

electric
05-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Chuckle. The reason for the spikes guys is that there is a pretty small pond by my house that I run at when I need a quick fix. If I showed you the MPH graph it would show that I am excellerating to 40 mph or so and then I have to make the turn. Some of the "jitters" are me because the boat was getting squirly. I have a much better place to run, but I can only make it out there every month or so.

m4a1usr
05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
My guess would be the speedo failure is related to heat buildup in that time frame shown. Speed dropped off after each large amp spike, so water flow was reduced (your cooling) as well. That appears to be the largest components in the graphs displayed. Had you been running WOT I dont think you would have smoked the esc. I dont know enough about your setup so I'm making a couple assumptions.

John