PDA

View Full Version : Having lipo problems

dr. hook
05-14-2010, 12:15 AM
I am having a problem trying to charge my 2s 5000mah turnigy lipo battery on my hyperion duo3 charger. It all started when I was bashing with my savage flux that the whole thing just stopped working then when I checked the battery connections one of the black wire was loose. So back home I re-soldered the deans connector & when I plugged it into the charger it would read an error msg: "output battery connect error" so I cleaned the female connector with a small screwdriver & rubbing alcohol & when I plugged it back in it would say: "balance voltage cell 1 too high". So I looked @ the balancer screen & cell 1 was reading @ 4.5v & cell 2 was @ 3.8v so I tried doing a balance charge but a few seconds later it would start beeping again saying "output battery connect error" on the screen. Now I want to know if there is something wrong with the connector of my battery or is the battery possibly damaged? The battery itself is not puffed or anything I just want to know why it's doing this & is there any possible way you can help me get my battery going again?:confused2:

ED66677
05-14-2010, 03:27 AM
for sure 4.5V is too high, but is it truly at 4.5V??? can you check with a voltmeter?
that might be you charger that is reading something wrong!
if the voltmeter says the same as the charger you can try connecting a small DC motor on the balancing port of the batt for few minutes to discharge the corresponding cell.

m4a1usr
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Its not going to charge with one cell beyond the cut off limits. Thats fixed somewhere around 4.25 volts per cell. Any chance you can try doing a discharge cycle to bring down the one high cell? 3.8 volts on the other cell does not sound bad. Its getting the other on down if it is indeed that high. There are some other options if the charger setup or software doesnt want to cooperate.

John

Xfactor
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
open the end and make sure the series circuit is still in place i just had a similar thing happen. the battery got wet and and droplets arched across the series circuit and the 35c packs burned it right into. So i was getting really crazy reading on my batts.

Jeepers
05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Funny I asked this question a few weeks back didn't get much of an answer. now some else is having the same problem.

I have 16+packs that say the same thing as your batteries, except that I get the voltage readings on my charger between 3.5 to 4.9v. but my voltage meter shows very different voltage. Whats also interesting I know these packs ARE NOT charged because I never recharged them after I ran them. I even took the cells from a boat that I just got done running and got the same error.

Xfactor
05-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Naw i tried to tell everyone my experience the other day it never made it on the screen dont know why. But lipos are really funny. Im gonna go 123 for the metal casing there more rugged. I just need a charger that will do 10 s at at time and not all day to do it.Do lipos linear or pulse charge?

Xfactor
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Funny I asked this question a few weeks back didn't get much of an answer. now some else is having the same problem.

I have 16+packs that say the same thing as your batteries, except that I get the voltage readings on my charger between 3.5 to 4.9v. but my voltage meter shows very different voltage. Whats also interesting I know these packs ARE NOT charged because I never recharged them after I ran them. I even took the cells from a boat that I just got done running and got the same error.
Sounds like those chargers are bugging out then.The fets in chargers can burn up to. Keep fans on all that mess.I had to fix my tekin back in the day.Especiall if you select an amp rating that not truly available to the charger off your bench power supplies. Im sure you probably want 5 amps at least not to charge at but for headroom

Jeepers
05-15-2010, 12:10 AM
I charge at 5amps on my 5000mah lipos all the time thats the 1c charge rating, my charger is capable of charging 10amps. (eos 610), I dug out my eos1210 and it charges my Lipos fine no error.

teach
05-15-2010, 12:29 AM
My hyperion is kinda weird too. It shows one cell in my 4s packs as low on every pack I own. Always the second cell. I have puffed more then my share of packs last year. I gave up on it.

Jeepers
05-15-2010, 12:44 AM
is that why you got the Turnigy? Hmmm....... my eos 606i did ruin 2 4s 5000 packs, I forgot about that.

longballlumber
05-15-2010, 07:18 AM
You guys are starting to scare me... I have 2 duo's (original and a 3). I haven't had any problems yet, that I know of.

If your members of rcgroups.com you can post in the battery and chargers section. There are many knowledgable guys. There is also someone that represents Hyperion named NipponDave. To this point he has been very helpfull on Hyperion charger info and questions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

Later
Mike

Xfactor
05-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Check this out.http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/battman2.html Im going to try one of these and see how it works out.

Xfactor
05-15-2010, 09:44 AM
high amperage is cool for field fast charging but at home id always charge at a slow rate 1 amp maybe . I dont think any battery really likes to have the voltage shoved into it, although we do it all the time.

Xfactor
05-15-2010, 09:48 AM
you can charge with your old nicad stuff I think as long as you monitor with a volt/amp meter.When the pack reaches it maxima charge you take it off. Right now for 3 s my voltmeter is telling me 12.60 volts for 3000 35c 3s pack.Is that about right for everyone else too?

RandyatBBY
05-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I have had this happen to me "one cell too High" I needed to use the balancers a little more often. One of nice things about the Cellmeter 8 is that I can check the charge and the balance of the cells as I cycle them.

Jeepers
05-16-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah but mine were after I ran the packs!