PDA

View Full Version : VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 02:26 AM
OK,
I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE THEADS ON THIS BOAT AND
I DON'T WANT TO SOUND INSENSITIVE ,I'M SURE SOME OF YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE GRIPE WITH VENOM BUT I CAN'T BE
THE ONLY ONE THATS NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES....CAN I?ALL I DID WAS ADD SOME EXTRA COOLING.
4 RUNS WITH SAME RESULTS
4S 5000mah DLG POWER LIPOS WITH PCB 120 DEGREES SHUT DOWN
MOTORS @ 90-120 DEGREES
ESC'S @ 80-90 DEGREES
RUN TIME APPROX.8 MINS @ WFO
STINGERS @ 0 DRGREES
STOCK PROPS 36mm PLASTIC(VENOM PRO 36mm FOR NEXT RUNS)
ESC'S SET TO 0 TIMING ADVANCE
EST SPEED 45 ISH
GOTTA THANK JAMES OVER @ VENOM AND SAILOR OVER @ MINICAT RACING FOR ANSWERING ALL(ABOUT 40)
OF MY PHONE CALLS
GPS INSTALLED NOW SO I SHOULD HAVE EXACT MPH NEXT POST.
GOING TO TURN ESC'S UP AND STINGERS ABOUT 2 DEGREES NEGITIVE.
ANYBODY WITH INPUT BEFORE I DO?

VIKOS
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
How do u set timing on stock motors and esc?

scubasteve95
06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
How do u set timing on stock motors and esc?

ITS VERY EASY
GO TO VENOM SITE AND CLICK ON THE PICTURE OF THE EKOS
THEN CLICK DOCUMENTS
GO TO PAGE 5 AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
I SET MY TIMING TO - 0 ADDED 6 INLETS AND OUTLETS AND
AM HAVING NO ISSUES ON 4s,BUT,
(DO NOT RUN 4s ..... JUST BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME)
I'M NOT SAYING DON'T BUT IF YOU DO ITS ON YOU......
JUST HAVE FUN WHAT EVER YOU DO :w00t:

VIKOS
06-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I may upgrade to 4s till the stockys burn out. My question is on the motor mounts those two small holes what head is that. A hex, philips, etc. Trying remove coupling but it's flush in line with motor mount. So should I unbolt motor from mount or mount from boat to get to the couplers on the shaft.

scubasteve95
06-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I may upgrade to 4s till the stockys burn out. My question is on the motor mounts those two small holes what head is that. A hex, philips, etc. Trying remove coupling but it's flush in line with motor mount. So should I unbolt motor from mount or mount from boat to get to the couplers on the shaft.

remove motor from mount,it easy with a flex shaft.
the set screw is a 1.5mm hex
i would also upgrade the cooling for 4s...6 inlets and 6 outlets
every thing stays nice and cool...
go kick some gas a$$ :thumbup:

Rumdog
06-06-2010, 12:05 AM
6 and 6? 2 esc's and 2 motors need no more than one each or the setup is too hot. Bottom line. The motors are not 4s motors. The esc's cant handle the amps. Don't do it. It's not as easy as replacing gear when it fails, A burned esc can put a hole thru the hull and damage cells and the motor with no problem. As well as leaving a big stinky smokey mess. If you want to go faster, pull the stock gear, and replace it with the appropriate stuff. A true 4s motor will be around 2000kv. Get the best esc's you can afford that will fit in your hull. It isn't worth the risk. Mr. scubasteve95 is the ONLY person around having any luck with 4s on his stock EKOS. In fact, it's quite hard to believe. Sorry.

scubasteve95
06-06-2010, 01:34 AM
dont be sorry...no one cares
there are ports in the motor mount
that are not being used,a couple of 4mm
taps and your done,already had inlets and outlets,
keeping the bearing cool just seems to
make sence :confused2: or no?

scubasteve95
07-04-2010, 03:15 PM
still running stock motors and esc's with 4s
but added pro probs and wire drives..
heres what happened.
3V2Fnar2Svc

FighterCat57
07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Jeff's wire drives are awesome!

A little odd, only 41mph w/36mm props. I get 52-54mph w/32mm props on 4s and am running 2700kv 540 size motors.

Something says you might have gotten lower KV motors from the factory, which would be a very good thing and help explain the longevity.

Make sure the prop dogs are snug against the stingers, water will pressurize the stuffing tube if there's a gap.

Very cool. Congrats on getting it setup.

VIKOS
07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Lol how does he get a lower kv motor from the factory lol. My boat runs fine on 4s. I think it's really in the props though. 32mm like what someone on her told me. Runs great with hop up couplers and jeffs flex shaft and dogs. Gona take vids next weekend of it against gas boats twice the size. Should be intresting.

FighterCat57
07-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Lol how does he get a lower kv motor from the factory lol. My boat runs fine on 4s. I think it's really in the props though. 32mm like what someone on her told me. Runs great with hop up couplers and jeffs flex shaft and dogs. Gona take vids next weekend of it against gas boats twice the size. Should be intresting.

If the windings are the wrong length, the kv will be off... Just a possibility. Also if the supplier ran low on stock, they might use a different batch until stock is replenished. This does happen in manufacturing. Often.

Just guessing though. :confused2:

The real mystery is higher RPM and less MPH with bigger props. :confused1:

Fluid
07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Something says you might have gotten lower KV motors from the factory, which would be a very good thing and help explain the longevity.
I really doubt he has non-stock motors. The speed is low probably because he is over-propped. The motors can't spin up to their most efficient rpm - this is common when you go overboard on prop size. The stock EKOS motors are rather small with limited torque, made worse by the higher-than-normal voltage used. If he cut those props down to 32-33mm he'd likely pick up some speed by utilizing the higher pitch, which is what determines the top speed anyway.

FighterCat57
07-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I <3 fluid

scubasteve95
07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
the 2 things i believe the reason are,
over prop...should be 32mm
and stingers are set alittle to neg...boat still runs slightly nose down
gunna go abit more pos on stingers..should get me to about 45max
also gotta get the 2lb of water out thats coming in..bummer
i am glad that vikos is out there so you all can see i am not the only (lucky)
person on here....o yea..vikos you also owe me a thank you....
for taking all of the abuse and name calling so we can have a clam discussion
about the ekos on 4s....:sarcasm1::hug1:
go to the other EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER thead and you will see what i meen(mean):mad:

Jeepers
07-05-2010, 12:53 AM

no wonder nothings burned up its all under water it never gets hot:just-kidding:

with that amount of water in side the hull could also have an effect on top speed.

VIKOS
07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
If the windings are the wrong length, the kv will be off... Just a possibility. Also if the supplier ran low on stock, they might use a different batch until stock is replenished. This does happen in manufacturing. Often.

Just guessing though. :confused2:

The real mystery is higher RPM and less MPH with bigger props. :confused1:

If he's running 36mm pro machined and i'm running 32mm pro machined, my props are gona pull more RPM's than his. His will produce more torque but also drain more amps to produce power..Take off will be quicker than mine but top speed will be slower..

VIKOS
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
the 2 things i believe the reason are,
over prop...should be 32mm
and stingers are set alittle to neg...boat still runs slightly nose down
gunna go abit more pos on stingers..should get me to about 45max
i am glad that vikos is out there so you all can see i am not the only (lucky)
person on here....o yea..vikos you also owe me a thank you....
for taking all of the abuse and name calling so we can have a clam discussion
about the ekos on 4s....:sarcasm1::hug1:
go to the other EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER thead and you will see what i meen(mean):mad:

I don't judge nor make opinions outloud...I how ever really wanted to see if 4s was possible and it is. If your running WOT till your batterys die then your crazy cause cooling is no where near as good as say mid throttle which I feel is the issue with most that have burnt up something. I will take videos today of the run so you all can see..first will be 3s then I'll do the 4s..I have no GPS so I'm not even going to guess speed but you will see the difference, I was shocked. oh on 4s 3200mah that is...don't want to run longer power incase but my 3s are 4000mah with great run time indeed...Just sucks when power is dead and the boat barely turns to make it back to shore.

scubasteve95
07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
WOT...YES INDEED,
motors run coolest and most efficent @wot i have found.
plus i added all kinds of extra cooling.
4s 5000mah i am getting 15-20 mins now with the venom charger compared to
the 8 mins on the other charger i was using
and thats beat you don't have a gps i was hoping you could give
me your top speed and i could compare it to mine.you using 32mm
and me using 36mm prop,i am betting you could go wot
for a couple of seconds to get it.also can you tell me your run
time on the 4s?just need someone to compare numbers against..thanx

scubasteve95
07-05-2010, 01:51 PM
If he's running 36mm pro machined and i'm running 32mm pro machined, my props are gona pull more RPM's than his. His will produce more torque but also drain more amps to produce power..Take off will be quicker than mine but top speed will be slower..

:iagree:

scubasteve95
07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
no wonder nothings burned up its all under water it never gets hot:just-kidding:

with that amount of water in side the hull could also have an effect on top speed.

dude ... now thats funny....:Peace_Sign:

VIKOS
07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
ok I'll check run times...ran the boat a second time on 4s and ran fine..way to much chop the boat kept bouncing..I could clearly see the red props every time she passed by...which is why Ithink the shaft came on done. A coupler set screw got flung out of the hole,put everything back together locktite this time gona run her this morning soon as my packs balance...welll with 2 WOT runs and one half throttle pass my motors are no where as hot when I use to run WOT throttle...but again you have additional cooling on the boat so that might also be why..my skipping was not allowing for good cooling even with 0 degree trim she still hopped...even flipped it and kept going. My friend took the video on his HTC EVO trying to figure out how to send it so I can post it. I might go to radio shack and buy a GPS since there pretty cheap these days and take some speed runs.To scared to put my GPS application from my iPhone in there and lose my phone lol....

scubasteve95
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
vikos,
go on ebay to get your gps..
got mine for 20 bucks delivered brand new(garmin gecko 101)
gives max speed, time and alot of other stuff.....fits nice and neat to.

forescott
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Where are you mounting your gps? I have the little garmin forerunner that I usually mount with velcro in front of the battery tray. But recently found that I can pick up a little speed by shoving my gps in the back between the fake little exaust ports. Its a tight squeeze but I gained a couple mph because I changed the c.o.g. slightly. Food for thought!

VIKOS
07-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Good spot but that's where most of the water collects. But this would help with skipping on wot gottah try that. Thanks steve

forescott
07-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Good spot but that's where most of the water collects. But this would help with skipping on wot gottah try that. Thanks steve

Yeah, the gps is supposed to be water proof up to 3m. Unfortunately theres not much room in the ekos to adjust the center of gravity with the batteries (even if you remove the trays)

VIKOS
07-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Well careful placement of Velcro in the rear will help that alot. Gona check radio shack for a gps or officemax

scubasteve95
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
i have mine same place forescott shows his but the rear is
a good idea...once i finish all my tests i will try in rear and
see what changes....
any issuses with signal back there?
the window up front gives alittle view of the sky...maybe its
not needed..(the window that is)

forescott
07-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I like the window because I can bring it in and check the top speed without un-taping the hatch!

VIKOS
07-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I just don't like the way the window likes to fog with moisture in side makes me thing electronics are getting wet. But hull tape is amazing I must say. My stingers are at -1 or -2 no reading just trial and error but I doubt it'll make a difference in choppy conditions. Boat will still skip. Hey Scott I'm surprised ur not running on 4s with ur set up. Or are u. Are those 9xl u got running. This Saturday will be the 5th time she runs on 4s with no issues other than a coupler screw coming undone and shaft sliding out part way. How is a piece of silicone cooling tube sopost to help from not losing a shaft anyways.

forescott
07-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I do run 4s most of the time. I use my cf-40's that have gotten me 55.2mph so far on 4s. I do like to use 3s when I want good run times and less heat.

VIKOS
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
When is is good t ochange the stinger motors..they seem good and I take them out when ever I lube the shafts and use an ole' toothbrush to clean them, then I stick them in a ziplock bag with royal purple lubricant for like an hour moving them around letting them soak. They don't have any ruff spots when you spin them. There the stock bearings I have like 3 more sets aswell so no real worries. If they still fit snug in the stinger and roll well is there any need to change them. I do notice the more you remove a certain bearing the less it likes to sit snug in the stinger.

forescott
07-09-2010, 12:12 AM
As long as you dont let water set in them, and lube em like youre doing, they should last a long time. I have one side that keeps working its way out and I have to super glue it all the time.:doh:

VIKOS
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks Scott didn't think about cleaning grease part way in and super gluing it to stay. Gottah try that. Well I changed them tonight but kept the old ones as spares. No they spin freely since day 1. No ruff spots when turned. You hear bout ceramic this and that. But the stockys are pretty dang good. Yeah they get grease on them but once clean and I drop them in a zip lock of lube and let them soak. No real issues really. Teflon lube is also another idea to use.

forescott
07-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I was thinkin of going ceramic. But they are big $$$$$$$ Stockers are good enough for me!

scubasteve95
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I do run 4s most of the time. I use my cf-40's that have gotten me 55.2mph so far on 4s. I do like to use 3s when I want good run times and less heat.

where did you get the cf-40s to fit the 4mm shaft or do you use adapters?
are thy cr props?gunna go 10xl's in furture.
priced out boca bearing and got 48 for all shipped...not to bad
(ultra ceramic)

VIKOS
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah not to bad if it's a one time continous deal. If u still have to change them I can buy about 10 sets for that price. I might get the ceramics if one buy one deal is where it's at.

forescott
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
where did you get the cf-40s to fit the 4mm shaft or do you use adapters?
are thy cr props?gunna go 10xl's in furture.
priced out boca bearing and got 48 for all shipped...not to bad
(ultra ceramic)

I use the cf-40's for the 3/16 shaft and use spacers. The cf-40 comes in reverse rotation too.

forescott
07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I think the cf 40's would be great with the 10-xl's. They are inexpensive too!

scubasteve95
07-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah not to bad if it's a one time continous deal. If u still have to change them I can buy about 10 sets for that price. I might get the ceramics if one buy one deal is where it's at.

hook a guy up...where?
10 sets sound better..i lube after each day out
would be nice to have a bunch already togo...

scubasteve95
07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I think the cf 40's would be great with the 10-xl's. They are inexpensive too!

thanx gunna start looking...

obrien008
07-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Does any one know if the sponsons can fit a zippy 5s 5800 lipo, im thinking about getting a bare ekos and making it a single drive and would like to use my existing packs. I know that they fit with some room to spare in the hotr cat which is also a 32". If anyone knows please let me know.

forescott
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
If you can post the dimensions of the pack, I can let you know

obrien008
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey thanks, its 145x50x50mm, I was thinking one in each sponson, and a 540XL single drive, hopefully its pretty similar to the hotr cat space wise. Also do you think there is enough height for the motor in the middle? Thanks alot

VIKOS
07-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah there's enough space. You'd have to re
remove the hatch foam but it works. I cut half of it off just invade.

obrien008
07-14-2010, 01:03 AM
So both the batteries in the sponsons and motor should fit then? Anyone know what strut people have been using on single drive ekos setups? Something like whats on the genesis cat or?

VIKOS
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Good question maybe a nitro cat setup would work just before the rudder or you could just go with another type of rudder cresrarch before cause once u cut no going back unless u glass it over which will never be ass tuff as the whole boat glassed or a mold.

Rumdog
07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
It is the same hull as the HOTR cat, so a single will fit on the tunnel just fine.

obrien008
07-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok thanks alot, has anyone had any luck getting the turingy 180s in this thing?

forescott
07-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Ok thanks alot, has anyone had any luck getting the turingy 180s in this thing?

If your packs are in the sponsons, then there should be plenty of room for the 180's between the sponsons.

obrien008
07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
What about height wise though? I know the hotr does have too much height to it?

forescott
07-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Should be no problem. The 180 isnt too tall and the hatch bubble gives some extra space.

VIKOS
07-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Like I was gona do but then I realized that 120 amp is more than you will ever need to push or the hull would handle at the speeds that you'd come close to..those 120 amp are continous not peak rating..I think peak is like capable of 6s maybe 7s..thats serious power right there...this may be a 70 mph hull but wouldn't want to see a crash after that...well ran the boat yesterday on 4S again..motors not even warm lol its my 8th time..gonna stop counting though after the 10th time..this is a capable 4s boat to me..depends all on the props that you use really. Other than that she should be fine. I think most did something wrong with ther ESC or maybe timing by pressing throttle while the connected there boat lol mine works great..over 20 runs on the stock set up minus shafts and dog gears and couplers from JEFFS shop.

scubasteve95
07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
:iagree:

gunna try your set-up and drop down to the 32mm props see if
i can get alittle more out of her.other wise same results @ about
5 months and over 100 runs....i love this boat.

pmisuinas
07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Well, I got mine in the water on 4s and it really moves. A couple of observations and some advice needed: I was surprised how low it sat in the water (4s 5000 packs) the back end was submerged to the hatch line--but it came out of the water when I hit the throttle, that's for sure.

But it also bounced a lot--the front end was like it was on a trampoline. I take it this is a balance problem--do I need to try and push the packs forward a bit? Where are you guys balancing this hull? Have not changed any drive angles, just ran it the way it came (although I am running 9xl and cf40 props with Turnigy 120s--don't want to give any false impressions here). Thanks...Pete M

PS--serious difference in speed between 3s and 4s packs--I use the programming box to reset the cutoff voltage when I want to just "cruise" around on 3s packs--nice to have that easy to do option...

PPS--also, adapters for the 3/16" prop--turned out I couldn't find any brass tubing to fit without a long drive to hobby shop, so I used the outer sheath fromn a Nyrod--if you want to get fancy, make a spiral cut in the plastic, then you can slip it over the shaft and the prop fits great. but if you get tired of it breaking on you while trying a spiral cut, a straight cut will work just as well.

forescott
07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Like I was gona do but then I realized that 120 amp is more than you will ever need to push or the hull would handle at the speeds that you'd come close to..those 120 amp are continous not peak rating..I think peak is like capable of 6s maybe 7s..thats serious power right there...this may be a 70 mph hull but wouldn't want to see a crash after that...well ran the boat yesterday on 4S again..motors not even warm lol its my 8th time..gonna stop counting though after the 10th time..this is a capable 4s boat to me..depends all on the props that you use really. Other than that she should be fine. I think most did something wrong with ther ESC or maybe timing by pressing throttle while the connected there boat lol mine works great..over 20 runs on the stock set up minus shafts and dog gears and couplers from JEFFS shop.

I'm sure the wire drives really help to reduce motor load!

forescott
07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, I got mine in the water on 4s and it really moves. A couple of observations and some advice needed: I was surprised how low it sat in the water (4s 5000 packs) the back end was submerged to the hatch line--but it came out of the water when I hit the throttle, that's for sure.

But it also bounced a lot--the front end was like it was on a trampoline. I take it this is a balance problem--do I need to try and push the packs forward a bit? Where are you guys balancing this hull? Have not changed any drive angles, just ran it the way it came (although I am running 9xl and cf40 props with Turnigy 120s--don't want to give any false impressions here). Thanks...Pete M

PS--serious difference in speed between 3s and 4s packs--I use the programming box to reset the cutoff voltage when I want to just "cruise" around on 3s packs--nice to have that easy to do option...

PPS--also, adapters for the 3/16" prop--turned out I couldn't find any brass tubing to fit without a long drive to hobby shop, so I used the outer sheath fromn a Nyrod--if you want to get fancy, make a spiral cut in the plastic, then you can slip it over the shaft and the prop fits great. but if you get tired of it breaking on you while trying a spiral cut, a straight cut will work just as well.

Not much room for battery adjustment. I would play with the drive angle adjustment.

VIKOS
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I bet but I have flex shafts from jeff not wire drive..so if thats the case I know that I could run 36mm on 4s and if scuba does go to 32mm props..wow that thing might just be a High RPM bullet. The issue I'm having now is with the left motor mount if looking from the back of the hull...its pretty loose and when shafts are turned you can see motor shake a lil. Anyone got remedys..noticed the mount towards the bottom of the hull had gotten pushed towards the rudder..its still fiberglassed down..its just the mount moves a lil..anyone got remedies..or is a new hull in order...was gona use some epoxy to station it and set it.

forescott
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I bet but I have flex shafts from jeff not wire drive..so if thats the case I know that I could run 36mm on 4s and if scuba does go to 32mm props..wow that thing might just be a High RPM bullet. The issue I'm having now is with the left motor mount if looking from the back of the hull...its pretty loose and when shafts are turned you can see motor shake a lil. Anyone got remedys..noticed the mount towards the bottom of the hull had gotten pushed towards the rudder..its still fiberglassed down..its just the mount moves a lil..anyone got remedies..or is a new hull in order...was gona use some epoxy to station it and set it.

I would get some 5 min. epoxy and spread it around the motor mount to beef it up. Epoxy works wonders, and you can get it at home depot in a syringe-like tube that mixes it as it exits the tube. I like this type because you can get the epoxy into tight spots without getting it all over everything. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001W9SFTG/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=h

VIKOS
07-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Yep just used some epoxy with filler. Rolled it sanded a bit spread it avoiding space where motor and coupler go. Smoothed out just waiting now. Then gona use a regular clear to fill the space on the bottom of the mount. Should do the trick. It's no longer moving. Those types of glue I don't trust. I usually still mix it in a paper plate then spread. Thanks man for advice. Working or seems to be solved.

scubasteve95
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
sounds like you got it under control,
try 50min marine epoxy from homedepot if you still have issues
you still have to mix it
but with the surface prepped good it holds strong.
and the 32mm props are on the way,so we will see.

scubasteve95
07-21-2010, 02:05 PM

i'm running the same size packs and mine doesn't sit that low,
can you give me some measurements (were do the packs sit in the hull)
maybe the battery holder is to far aft?

VIKOS
07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Ordering wire drives,120 esc and 9xl,and 10xl either or as spares..think both motors will run on 4s or 5s. Gona be real fun soon

pmisuinas
07-25-2010, 12:36 PM
i'm running the same size packs and mine doesn't sit that low,
can you give me some measurements (were do the packs sit in the hull)
maybe the battery holder is to far aft?

The packs sit against the back of the battery box, I had to remove the ply front of the box so they would fit, as they exceeded the size of the box. The packs together weigh 37oz. The ESCs fit under the hull top, in front of the packs. I can maybe move then a bit forward, certainly can't hurt--help both the low sitting rear and the porposing, I would think...

pmisuinas
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I got this from another KOS thread:

I don' t like how heavy and low my other EKOS is with less weight than this as the water line often covers the rear of the hatch when sitting still.

Apparently I'm not the only one that has a boat that sits low in the water

forescott
07-26-2010, 06:42 PM
They all sit pretty low in the water, but the water line shouldnt be high enough to seep into the hatch.

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I got this from another KOS thread:

I don' t like how heavy and low my other EKOS is with less weight than this as the water line often covers the rear of the hatch when sitting still.

Apparently I'm not the only one that has a boat that sits low in the water

the hull sitting to low in the water?
mine sits right at the edge of the transom right were the black
section starts...3 inches from the hatch
so something is to far aft.
how far back from the transom does your
battery holder sit?
mine is 7"15/16 to the transom were the rudder mounts
from the rear of the battery holder.cant hurt to check it.
and can you give me the measurements of your packs,
dont know why you would of had to remove the front of holder.
like i said i run the same 4s 5000mah pack and i had to put a piece of
the foam i took off the hatch in my holder to keep them from moving.

forescott
07-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I run 3300 4s packs to keep the wight down and increase speed! Plenty enough run time for me. Especially with a hot setup!

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I run 3300 4s packs to keep the wight down and increase speed! Plenty enough run time for me. Especially with a hot setup!

how long?
and hot is a understatement for that rig!!!!!!!!

forescott
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
It does'nt really run too hot. If I tried to run it for 15 minutes it would! I usually run it for about 6-8 minutes without hitting the lvc.

scubasteve95
08-01-2010, 12:39 AM
It does'nt really run too hot. If I tried to run it for 15 minutes it would! I usually run it for about 6-8 minutes without hitting the lvc.

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
you misunderstand............
i ment hot was not a strong enough word for your set-up.
DIALED IN,SUPER SMOKEN KICK A$$,or maybe even SEXY SWEET
............(still talken about your set-up...i meen your boat)
and 6-8 is great at that speed....................................57mph
you stink.....i'm @49mph and i was hummen

forescott
08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
you misunderstand............
i ment hot was not a strong enough word for your set-up.
DIALED IN,SUPER SMOKEN KICK A$$,or maybe even SEXY SWEET
............(still talken about your set-up...i meen your boat)
and 6-8 is great at that speed....................................57mph
you stink.....i'm @49mph and i was hummen

aaaaah, o.k. @ 57mph I'm pretty much biting my fingernails. Its plenty fast enough for me, and I wouldnt want to try and push it anymore. I have a nice set of octura 442's that I could run and probably get 60, but It would have to be just a quick saw run. The motors would get hot really fast I'm sure.

scubasteve95
08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
aaaaah, o.k. @ 57mph I'm pretty much biting my fingernails. Its plenty fast enough for me, and I wouldnt want to try and push it anymore. I have a nice set of octura 442's that I could run and probably get 60, but It would have to be just a quick saw run. The motors would get hot really fast I'm sure.

NICE...........
WANT TO SELL THE X442's?
need a set and don't want to wait for my guy to bal & sharpen....

forescott
08-02-2010, 12:02 AM
NICE...........
WANT TO SELL THE X442's?
need a set and don't want to wait for my guy to bal & sharpen....

I'm gonna hold on to em for a bit. I had egneg sharpen/balance/polish/de-toungue them for me and they cost me about 90-bucks for the pair after all said and done.

scubasteve95
08-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm gonna hold on to em for a bit. I had egneg sharpen/balance/polish/de-toungue them for me and they cost me about 90-bucks for the pair after all said and done.

from what i have heard,if he did them i'll give you a $100.00

forescott
08-02-2010, 12:16 AM
You're really tempting me, but I have to decline. I may end up using them with the 10xl's later so I think I'll hold on to them for now. Thanks for the generous offer though.

scubasteve95
08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
You're really tempting me, but I have to decline. I may end up using them with the 10xl's later so I think I'll hold on to them for now. Thanks for the generous offer though.

i had to give it a shot....thanx anyway.

VIKOS
08-08-2010, 03:18 AM
LOL just get 442's and have them balance and sharpened before they come. I'm thinkin the CF way might be the best way over brass or metal being heavy..as for boat sitting low water only comes up below the deck not on the hatch unless your moving in reverse. But I'd slide your packs a bit forward if you have that much water coming in. Running the boat tomorrow after a loss shaft that twisted and broke.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Let us know how it goes!

VIKOS
08-10-2010, 03:06 AM
ran really good need to add some more epoxy on the left motor just a tad..still a lil looser than the right..which makes me wonder if it snapped due t omovement in the stinger housing. Gona work on that tomorrow. Also noticed that removing the front battery tray wall and running the batteries up a bit with stingers at -1 help alot with keeping the bow down at speeds..but on choppy conditions you see alot of nose digging when not at high speeds.

Jeff Wohlt
08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Did you break one of my wire drives?

forescott
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I think he's got flex cables and you're collets.

VIKOS
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Did you break one of my wire drives?

Flex shafts..but order two sets from you and the upgraded 4 set screw couplers. Couplers are awesome kept the flex shaft lodged in the hole lol. Again I think its from movement of the motor. Just added some more epoxy and she's stiff as nails probably more so than the stock glassing job. shafts are still awesome jeff getting ready to order the wire drives but use the couplers you have for wire drives..don't like the idea of so many ways just to tighten the collets. The couplers work flawless. I'll just etch a spot in the wire drives for the screws to fit into.:rockon2:

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
LOL just get 442's and have them balance and sharpened before they come.

where?
i can find a set of 42's in cf and
ose will not s&b props you buy from them ....
you have to buy them from him already done.
prob just go with kintec..there afew bucks more
but aleast i'll get them.

forescott
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
where?
i can find a set of 42's in cf and
ose will not s&b props you buy from them ....
you have to buy them from him already done.
prob just go with kintec..there afew bucks more
but aleast i'll get them.

Ose has a section for balanced and sharpened props. Unfortunately they are out of stock. The 442's are metal not CF. They don't make a CF-42, just a 40.

forescott
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Flex shafts..but order two sets from you and the upgraded 4 set screw couplers. Couplers are awesome kept the flex shaft lodged in the hole lol. Again I think its from movement of the motor. Just added some more epoxy and she's stiff as nails probably more so than the stock glassing job. shafts are still awesome jeff getting ready to order the wire drives but use the couplers you have for wire drives..don't like the idea of so many ways just to tighten the collets. The couplers work flawless. I'll just etch a spot in the wire drives for the screws to fit into.:rockon2:

Which is a coupler and which is a collet?? OSE lists both styles as couplers.

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Which is a coupler and which is a collet?? OSE lists both styles as couplers.

From my understanding,a collet is something that you use wrenches on-the same that we run on our EKOS.A coupler is what the stock EKOS has with the set-screws.

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 10:12 PM
from my understanding,a collet is something that you use wrenches on-the same that we run on our ekos.a coupler is what the stock ekos has with the set-screws.

correct

VIKOS
08-11-2010, 12:30 PM
yep for the right term of course both are a form of coupler but most gas boats and nitros run collets..personally the couplers for wire drive that jeff has will just barely fit the wire drives..meaning unlike the flex style theres no opening thats a lil bigger its about the exact size the nyou have two sets of sets screws piercing the wire drives which makes for a really good hold.my flex couplers hold amazingly..can't amagine the wire drive couplers...

forescott
08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
The thing about using set screw couplers on the flex cables is, if you're cables are not soldered, then the set screws tend to mangle the cables over time and they begin to un-wind.

scubasteve95
08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
The thing about using set screw couplers on the flex cables is, if you're cables are not soldered, then the set screws tend to mangle the cables over time and they begin to un-wind.

very true...
its real easy to do to....
anyone who changed a battery connector can do it.

VIKOS
08-13-2010, 01:04 AM
ichange battery connects but its not a smooth job either...basically you have to really add a scotch tape layer around the shaft..plus ishouldn't have to if they came like that from shop..either way it won't be long till I go with wire drive anyways so not really worried about it..will be testing/running this weekend..the motor mount looks very supported now with the second epoxy job i did. This motors will not die though lol...but they do stiffen up when left un used for a week or so but could be the A/C. One quick turn of prop and its loose again...

forescott
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Be sure to put a drop of oil on the motor bearings every once in a while. It will keep them from rusting.

scubasteve95
10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
EKOS on 4S 5000mah 10xl x442 props top speed @58.3 :banana:average speed 56.6
temps @ 85 to 90 on all electronics....air temp was also 90 and sunny,run times
were average 12 to 14 mins @ wfo as long as i could hold it.
...she ran rock steady...
vids coming soon:Peace_Sign: