PDA

View Full Version : VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 02:21 AM
OK,
I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE THEADS ON THIS BOAT AND
I DON'T WANT TO SOUND INSENSITIVE ,I'M SURE SOME OF YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE GRIPE WITH VENOM BUT I CAN'T BE
THE ONLY ONE THATS NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES....CAN I?ALL I DID WAS ADD SOME EXTRA COOLING.
4 RUNS WITH SAME RESULTS
4S 5000mah DLG POWER LIPOS WITH PCB 120 DEGREES SHUT DOWN
MOTORS @ 90-120 DEGREES
ESC'S @ 80-90 DEGREES
RUN TIME APPROX.8 MINS @ WFO
STINGERS @ 0 DRGREES
STOCK PROPS 36mm PLASTIC(VENOM PRO 36mm FOR NEXT RUNS)
ESC'S SET TO 0 TIMING ADVANCE
EST SPEED 45 ISH
GOTTA THANK JAMES OVER @ VENOM AND SAILOR OVER @ MINICAT RACING FOR ANSWERING ALL(ABOUT 40)
OF MY PHONE CALLS
GPS INSTALLED NOW SO I SHOULD HAVE EXACT MPH NEXT POST.
GOING TO TURN ESC'S UP AND STINGERS ABOUT 2 DEGREES NEGITIVE.
ANYBODY WITH INPUT BEFORE I DO?

FighterCat57
05-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Nice! I really want to hear/see more positives!

What extra cooling did you add and do you have any photos?

I moved the stingers about a half degree and it's been handling well.
It depends on the battery pack weight in your boat and it's effect on the COG.

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I will post photos tonite.
Added 90 degree inlets to bearing cooler on motor mounts and used the pick-ups on the rudder and oem outlets just for them,
added 2 port flush mount pick-ups on each sponce in the rear and removed the exhaust pipes to install 1/8" rivets for the 4 outlets
(didn't want to add extra holes).....each esc and motor has its own in and out for cooling.approx 12' 1/8 water tube added
Batterys weight 1 lb each so i should be able to really dig the props down deep.

FighterCat57
05-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Nice. I've got the 90's and more outlets on order and should be here shortly. I wondered why they didn't do that from the factory. :confused1:

Although, there's a bunch of racers on here that cool their entire race boats with just the rudder pickup.

I'm sure they aren't running 4s through 2800kv 380 motors either.

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Ok ben,
here you go,
let me know if you want any more or something different...

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 05:06 PM
WELL I TOOK IT OUT JUST TO CHECK FLOW ON ALL THE
WATER PORTS AND WAS NOT TOO HAPPY............:thumbsdown:
VERY LITTLE TO NO FLOW AT ALL EVEN THOUGH IT KEPT EVERYTHING WITH IN THE TEMP I WANTED SORT OF
I STILL WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF A WATER STREAM.
SO HERE IS THE MOD I CAME UP WITH ON THE NOT SO EFFECTIVE OSE PICK-UPS.
SLANT CUT THE EXHAUST TUBE I REMOVED AND EPOXY THEM OVER THE
PICK-UP PORTS....YEA YEA YEA I KNOW MORE DRAG.....BUT I WILL
GIVE UP ALITTLE SPEED FOR BETTER COOLING AND RELIABILITY....
MAYBE JUST MAYBE I CAN RUN THE WHOLE SET-UP ALITTLE LEANER AND MAKE UP THE SPEED LOSE AND STILL BESAFE?????????????MAYBE

Rumdog
05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
That was not a good idea. If you're not running hot, why worry about extra pickups? That is going to effect the handling and speed tremendously. You want those ride pads flat and square as possible.

FighterCat57
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
More photos, run times, temps, videos, data, data, data. I love it keep it coming.

:popcorn2:

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
NOT RUNNING HOT IN A VERY SAFE SET UP.
ONCE I TURN UP THE HEAT (ie TIMING, STINGER ANGLE,PROP)I AM GOING TO NEED MORE COOLING,RUNNING NOW @ MAX HEATING ON MOTORS AND ALL MOST MAX ON ESC'S @ WFO WITH ALL PERAMETERS SET @ THERE LOWEST.LETS GET SOME RUN TIME
AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.....
I WILL SET UP A CAM SO WE CAN ALL SEE TOGETHER.BUT I STILL DON'T THINK THAT WILL EFFECT ME AS FAR AS HANDLING OR STABILITY....SPEED NOT AS SURE.

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Ben r,
what photos would you like next...i am done with the build as far as i can tell.................i have a wide aray(of photos that is)
o yea ,the pads i installed were perfectly flat and the flow was poor,
@ least i thought it was......any body else have a set installed?
How is the flow?

Brushless55
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
WELL I TOOK IT OUT JUST TO CHECK FLOW ON ALL THE
WATER PORTS AND WAS NOT TOO HAPPY............:thumbsdown:
VERY LITTLE TO NO FLOW AT ALL EVEN THOUGH IT KEPT EVERYTHING WITH IN THE TEMP I WANTED SORT OF
I STILL WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF A WATER STREAM.
SO HERE IS THE MOD I CAME UP WITH ON THE NOT SO EFFECTIVE OSE PICK-UPS.
SLANT CUT THE EXHAUST TUBE I REMOVED AND EPOXY THEM OVER THE
PICK-UP PORTS....YEA YEA YEA I KNOW MORE DRAG.....BUT I WILL
GIVE UP ALITTLE SPEED FOR BETTER COOLING AND RELIABILITY....
MAYBE JUST MAYBE I CAN RUN THE WHOLE SET-UP ALITTLE LEANER AND MAKE UP THE SPEED LOSE AND STILL BESAFE?????????????MAYBE

Bad idea IMO
this will affect the way the cat handles :spy:

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
What does imo stand for?
I 'm hoping it doesn't,but like i said lets do
some testing this sunday and find out.
Cam will be rolling what ever the outcome.

Brushless55
05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
In My Opinion :doh:
this will alter the way the cat handles

scubasteve95
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
O,
tune in sunday nite and we will find out

Brushless55
05-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I already know what will happen

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
IMO- http://tinyurl.com/24p2sjx

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 06:52 AM
PS- from the photos, you have a different battery box than what came with mine. I've also noticed that your hull/hatch appears to be different. There's a large amount of white around the hull/hatch area.

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Glad your having success with 4s, but 3s is still a better setup with this boat. I don't suggest people run these motor on 4s. There are far more failures than successes. You will also find that most companies selling this have removed any info about 4s packs with this boat.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Ben,
don't know about the battery box but the hull i painted.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
BRUSHLESS,
don't be so negitive............
I have been runnung this set-up with no for-see-able issues.
Like i said before.....why so angry:zip-up:
THIS IS ALL IN FUN .........REMEMBER

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
steve,
thank for the concern and you are absolutly correct......but.......
having said that,what fun would it be if you can't run the stock set-up as hard
as you can with minimal tweeks to the best performance or crash and burn and then
just upgrade anyway.....

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Ben,
don't know about the battery box but the hull i painted.

Ah, OK, it's hard to see any detail with white when using a flash. My battery box has sides on it, restricting it to 50mm.

Do you have a current meter? I'm curious as to the amp draw on your setup.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry i do not......
Just going by heat and time...

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 10:13 AM
BATTERY BOX HAS NO SIDES...BUT
THE BATTERY WOULD STILL FIT...YEA BABY
THE BATTERY IS -----1 7/8 WIDE,5 5/8 LONG,1 1/4 HIGH
50mm,148mm,35mm

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Brushless,
have you done this under the hull pick-up before?
Do you know anybody who has?

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
steve,
thank for the concern and you are absolutly correct......but.......
having said that,what fun would it be if you can't run the stock set-up as hard
as you can with minimal tweeks to the best performance or crash and burn and then
just upgrade anyway.....

For the reason that people will read this and run 4s and burn up stuff, then blame the manufacturer and post that the items are junk. Specifications are given for a reason, to run within the safe limits.

For example, People often email me asking if they can run 6s on a esc that has a max rating of 5s. :doh: Why people want to pay hard earned money to beat the hell out of the items and burn them up is beyond me. :confused1:

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Brushless,
have you done this under the hull pick-up before?
Do you know anybody who has?

There's a few here who have tried and can probably share their experiences.

Just about anything you can think of doing with a boat... someone here has tried.
There is a good knowledge base here...

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 12:27 PM
There's a few here who have tried and can probably share their experiences.

Just about anything you can think of doing with a boat... someone here has tried.
There is a good knowledge base here...

Agreed!
Lots of knowledge on this site!

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
DON'T WANT TO BE A BROKEN RECORD...BUT..I AM NOT
TELLING ANYONE TO DO ANYTHING,THE MOTORS ARE RATED @ 14.4V
AND THE ESC"S ARE RATED @22.2v...SO WHY NOT GO FOR BROKE,IMO NO ONE HAS FOUND
THE OPTIMUM SET-UP FOR THIS BOAT YET.IT IS NOT IN THE FORM OF 3s THAT MUCH I CAN
TELL YOU FROM 8 BACK TO BACK 8MINS EACH WFO RUNS WITH SMALL ISSUES BEING FIXED AS THEY COME UP.
THE ELECTRONICS ARE SOUND, EVERYONE IS TRYING TO RUN THESE THINGS @ FULL TILT
RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX...SLOW AND STEDY WILL PRODUCE A FAST,RELIABLE BOAT

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I will keep looking for bottom pick up threads,if any one finds something helpful please let me know.

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
THE OPTIMUM SET-UP FOR THIS BOAT YET.IT IS NOT IN THE FORM OF 3s THAT MUCH I CAN
TELL YOU FROM 8 WFO RUNS WITH SMALL ISSUES BEING FIXED AS THEY COME UP.
THE ELECTRONIC ARE SOUND, EVERYONE IS TRYING TO RUN THESE TINHGS @ FULL TILT

I don't want to sound like that record either.
But its pretty simple, "Joe" new guy reads your topic tittle
"VENOM EKOS 4S 5000mah LIKE BUTTER" and gets what out of it?
Then he opens the thread and reads you're info on the first post and gets first gets what out of it? To me it says 4s isn't a problem with this boat.
I and a host of many, many users disagree.
As a matter of fact a national record holder that races all over the country baked the motors on 4s. And he has years of experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you have a successful running boat. Just warring people to watch out.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
LETS ALL JUST TAKE A DEEP BREATH:thumbup:
PEOPLE WILL READ AND TAKE FROM THAT READING WHAT EVER IS IN
THERE BEST INTEREST,I CAN ONLY COMMENT ON THE DATA I HAVE COLLECTED.
IF SOMEONE IS GOING TO BUY THIS BOAT AND JUST THROW IT INTO THE WATER
DAMAGE IT AND THEN BLAME THE MANUFACTURER THERE IS NO WAY FOR US TO STOP IT.
PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE RESPONCEABILY FOR THERE OWN ACTIONS.
I READ ALL THE POST BEFORE I PURCHASED MY EKOS,I TALKED TO VEMON AND
I AM STILL RUNNING 4s...THAT IS ON MY HANDS.FROM
WHAT I CAN TELL THAT WHAT ALOT OF PEOPLE DID
ON THIS FORUM ,ALL I KEPT HEARING IS VENOM SUCKS,VENOM SUCK,
BOYCOT VENOM,GUT THE BOAT BEFORE YOU RUN IT AND
SO-ON AND SO-ON...FOR MY MONEY VENOM IS A
TOP NOTCH COMPANY AND THERE ITEMS ARE THE SAME,
THAT ALSO GOES FOR THERE TECH SUPPORT(JAMES)
I DONT KNOW WHAT I TRYING TO REALLY SAY ACCEPT
DO YOUR OWN HOME WORK ON EVERY THING YOU BUY
...ITS NOT ALWAYS THE OTHER GUYS FAULT.
I AM SORRY IF I GAVE OR MISLEAD ANYONE INTO ANY PROBLEMS.

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 03:46 PM
TELL YOU FROM 8 BACK TO BACK 8MINS EACH WFO RUNS WITH SMALL ISSUES BEING FIXED AS THEY COME UP.
THE ELECTRONICS ARE SOUND, EVERYONE IS TRYING TO RUN THESE THINGS @ FULL TILT

That's just it, these esc's can take 6s like most any other esc on the marker.. even the UL-1 and SV esc can take that, but we don't want to push them, they will smoke in a boat with all the amps boats can pull constantly :Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Several people have smoked these boats only running 3s and they knew what they were doing..
this thread is sounding more like its the owners fault not Venom?
Venom has left many customers without for several months, I cannot say they are a top notch company at all :Shame_on_You:
someone form their company kept coming to several websites blaming the user and leaving them without customer service

James at Vemom is a standup guy, he told me months ago they were about to fire someone at Vemon who was causing issues for them with this boat :glare:

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Several people have smoked these boats only running 3s and they knew what they were doing..
this thread is sounding more like its the owners fault not Venom?
Venom has left many customers without for several months, I cannot say they are a top notch company at all :Shame_on_You:
someone form their company kept coming to several websites blaming the user and leaving them without customer service

James at Vemom is a standup guy, he told me months ago they were about to fire someone at Vemon who was causing issues for them with this boat :glare:

I've talked with James, for a short bit. He was the guy that left the voice message that caused my original margarita inspired rant. Once I talked with him on the phone, he took care of the situation, no questions asked. Good deal.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
People,
i an not defending anyone or the other....
All i was trying to do is give some field teted data
on a boat that imo really needed it(i like that imo)
the esc's should be not where near peak @14.8v...
The motors on the other hand are.....
So extra cooling was my aim to keep them from meltdown

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 05:39 PM
As far as venom goes,
for me as i stated they are as good as it gets....(next to traxxas)
sorry james..your still the guy:thumbup:

Rumdog
05-14-2010, 06:48 PM
The voltage isn't the only issue. It's amperage. They are only 60 amp esc's. The motors are 3s motors. That is that. The kv is too high for 4s and they are too small to turn upgrade props or run 4s. high kv plus 4s equals high temps, high amps and amp spikes and premature hardware ware and breakage. Just like you said, people are taking them outta the box and pushing the boat to and beyond the limits. This is EXACTLY what you are doing. None of the equipment in this hull is sufficient for 4s. The failures everyone else has had should tell you that. You have done nothing different thus far. Just lucky. adding more cooling is like a bandage on a giant wound. The components will still produce excessive heat whether or not water is running around or over them. Please don't take this as being mad either. It is just fact. Ask everyone else with an EKOS. So. I'd say 4s is like burned sh*$, not butter.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 07:46 PM
THE MOTORS ARE 14.8v = 4s
NO MATTER WHO OR WHAT YOU RUN YOU WILL HAVE SPIKES
AND WARE/BREAKAGE..LUCK AS YOU PUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH
IT BECAUSE I LEFT MY RABBITS FOOT @ HOME THE LAST 4 WEEKENDS.
I TUNED THE ESC'S DOWN FROM 11.8 TO 0
SET THE STINGERS TO 0,ALL OF THE OTHERS DID NONE OF THAT OR ANYTHING
OTHER THAN GREASE AND GO FROM THE POSTS I HAVE SEEN.
BURNT SH*$ SOMEDAY...BUT....NOT TODAY
HEAT WILL HAPPEN ,BUT BEING A FIREFIGHTER I DO
KNOW 6 HOSES ARE BETTER THEN ONE.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS.....I UNLIKE MANY OTHERS
ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF AND MY FIELD TESTING /DATA COLLECTED.
36mm PROPS,4s 5000mah 0 DEGREES TIMING HAS WORKED.
RUNNING ANY BOAT WFO ALL THE TIME LIKE I DO WILL CAUSE MALFUNCTION
WARE ETC.THE SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT AND THE 4 WEEKENDS I HAVE
RUN THIS BOAT ,SHE OWES ME NOTHING.

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS.....I UNLIKE MANY OTHERS
ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF AND MY FIELD TESTING /DATA COLLECTED.
36mm PROPS,4s 5000mah 0 DEGREES TIMING HAS WORKED.
RUNNING ANY BOAT WFO ALL THE TIME LIKE I DO WILL CAUSE MALFUNCTIONWARE ETC.THE SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT AND THE 4 WEEKENDS I HAVE
RUN THIS BOAT ,SHE OWES ME NOTHING.

All FE boats should be able to run Wide Open
that's how races are ran

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
The voltage isn't the only issue. It's amperage. They are only 60 amp esc's. The motors are 3s motors. That is that. The kv is too high for 4s and they are too small to turn upgrade props or run 4s. high kv plus 4s equals high temps, high amps and amp spikes and premature hardware ware and breakage. Just like you said, people are taking them outta the box and pushing the boat to and beyond the limits. This is EXACTLY what you are doing. None of the equipment in this hull is sufficient for 4s. The failures everyone else has had should tell you that. You have done nothing different thus far. Just lucky. adding more cooling is like a bandage on a giant wound. The components will still produce excessive heat whether or not water is running around or over them. Please don't take this as being mad either. It is just fact. Ask everyone else with an EKOS. So. I'd say 4s is like burned sh*$, not butter.

:iagree:

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Forever AND EVER?

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
You never break down?

Rumdog
05-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't care what it may say on the motor, or what venom says. In a boat, those are 3s motors. FE boats run more efficiently at full throttle than anything else. There will actually be less heat and amperage draw than if you a re on and off the throttle all the time. Venom IS at fault. THEY produced the first vid of the boat. THEY ran it on 4s. Did it tell you in the instructions to change the esc timing to get reliable runs? NO. Should everyone who buys it have to be on the phone with customer service all the time just to have a reliable boat? NO. The fact is, plainly, it isn't a 4s boat. In fact, it doesn't seem to be a reliable 3s boat. I understand that yours may be running well, but look around you, ask others. Venom, in rtr boats is not number 1.

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 09:30 PM
THE MOTORS ARE 14.8v = 4s

I hate to sound argumentative, but that is just a specification. Just because a motor is rated to 14.8 volts doesn't mean it will run at that voltage in any given setup. Saying that is showing a lack of understanding on how these motors work.

FighterCat57
05-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Steve, you're trolling and doing a good job of it. Enjoy the taste of *!***!***!***!** cuz you're going to eat it.

The EKOS is advertised as an RTR. Ready to run, when in fact it is not. Bolts are loose, couplers are inadequate and there is no safety system on it's prop shafts. An RTR, is just that, pull it out of the box, pop a battery in and go!

What you get when you but the "King of Shaves" Ready to run boat, is instant failure. It requires prep work, it requires maintenance after every run. It is an advanced level of equipment, not an RTR and certainly not for a beginner or intermediate level owner.

An RTR is more like a Villain or a Wildcat or Rio. You know I've never touched the drives or couplers in my little wildcat? Neat little boat, probably had 50 packs run through it. Uses the same couplers and they've never failed.

Compared to other boats in it's class, like the Apparition, the EKOS is a completly cheap POS. The rudder mount is stamped steel. The coupler and dog set screws are cheap mild steel, the aluminum used for the prop nuts is less than 70/30 and poorly machined, the prop dogs are the same. The stingers use steel ball bearings that rust when exposed to water, the couplers are a joke and the same size used on a brushed mini boat.

Oh, Steevo back to you. It's jack asses like you who mess up the warranty process for guys like us who have real problems. Why? You ignore the recommendations and then whine when stuff doesn't work. You have no idea WTF you are doing setting up a boat. You have no amp readings, know nothing about amp draw, prop selection or how RPM affects bearings. You're an idiot. Every post you make confirms it just that much more.

Nobody here is upset or mad with you or what you say. You're just stating info out of your ass as if it's fact and being corrected.

It's neat that you've been getting away with stuff, good for you. The cells you're using aren't nearly putting out what they are rated at. If they were, you'd be whining about your ESC failure or your Motor heat, get it? 20c is cheap *!***!***!***!**.

OK, that's about all the truth I can handle for tonight.

I'm DONE with EKOS & Venom and Steevo- Troll along... you seem to like the taste of *!***!***!***!**.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
NEVER ASKED VENOM ABOUT THE TIMING OR ANY
OTHER SET-UP I HAVE USED,VENOM CLEARLY SAYS
3s 5200mah AND TIMING @11.8
IT JUST SEEMS TO BE A SMARTER THING TO DO IF
YOU ARE GOING TO RUN HIGH VOLTS
NOT A RELIABLE BOAT ON 2, 3 OR 4s FOR SOMEONE ELSE IS
OF NO CONCERN OF MINE,I FEEL BAD FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE
BUT TAKE THE CORN OUT OF YOUR EARS AND LISTEN
TO WHAT IM SAYING,THIS IS THE BOAT I HAVE.IT IS RUNNING ON 4s 5000mah WITH
NO ISSUSES.YOU SAY IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO DO YET I'M DOING IT ALL DAY.
THATS IT.NOT GOING TO SEE WHO CAN PISS LONGER...I AM NOT TELLING THE WORLD
TO RUN 4s OR ANY OTHER SET-UP...THIS WORKS FOR ME AND I ONLY SPEAK FOR ME.
ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT,SET-UP,CONFIG, I'LL GIVE YOU...
AND FOR ME AND ME ALONE
VENOM AND MINICAT RACING ARE #1 IN BOATS ........FOR ME.

scubasteve95
05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey ben,
never whined about anything
or had any reason to,get back on your meds
you guys are to uptight.
All i have ever said is what im doing you bent it all out
of shape because you had problems with venom,but
after all your bellyacking venom was still there for you.

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm glad you are running 4s and having fun.

For the rest of the new guys out there. Venom Racing suggests using 3s. I suggest 3s and a bunch of experienced racers that use these suggest 3s. So buyer beware. 4s is fun but it may bit you in the butt.

I guess this thread has run its course. This thread is now done.