PDA

View Full Version : Wholy crap! New traxxas 50MPH brushless boat!!

SweetZ28
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
36" brushless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFw0Dr4fUw&feature=player_embedded

bigpapa
05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
awsome should be a blast............

Steven Vaccaro
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
We have a new user from Traxxas on the forum. He should help clear some things up.

Also my wish is that the boat doesnt come with all the "Traxxas" logos painted on. I really dont want to have a boat thats a billboard for Traxxas.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Man thats nice

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Whats up big papa u aint hollered at ya boy in awhile.

T.S.Davis
05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
That looks like it's had some influence from our buddy Darin. Sweet looking ride. I don't mind the billboard effect.

How come every time we see a boat on tube it's doing weird figures? Get out there and rip off some laps for us man! Let it hang all hang out.

Darin Jordan
05-11-2010, 03:46 PM
That does look pretty sweet. No influence from me, but I can see the resemblence to the canopy on my 32" WT...

I wonder if the 36" is the overall length, or the actual hull length? Looks like they got the strake arrangement correct.

Could be a very interesting summer!!

T.S.Davis
05-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I was just suprised to see it with some real no BS looking hardware. It's got nice lines. Looks like something I might have done myself.

I'll wait patiently to see one up close. haha

Darin Jordan
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I tried to read through that other thread... find it interesting that people are all speculating on the motor setup, and assuming it has just one... One might also assume that it could have a pair of VXL style BL motors on a 2 into 1 gearbox, much like the other Traxxas boats...

mappo
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I was just suprised to see it with some real no BS looking hardware. It's got nice lines. Looks like something I might have done myself.

I'll wait patiently to see one up close. haha

I hope Traxxas do build this boat in fiber glass. i have burnt 3 hulls whens the wire got too hot for the plastic "ABS"

chummer
05-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Well it's about time! Traxxas stands behind their products and they have great support. Almost every LHS deals with them so this should be refreshing for RTR packages. Unlike some other manufacturers :zip-up: that have had so many problems in the past, I am sure that they will have spare replacement parts on hand when this is ready to be released.

[QUOTE=Steven Vaccaro;183415]We have a new user from Traxxas on the forum. He should help clear some things up.[/QUOTE

:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2:

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 09:43 PM
And don't forget this video I posted in the thread I started here, has a good 50mph pass on it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7X83Rm5sU
and so many people already dissing this boat :doh:
I started the thread on the 8th and it already has over 150 replies
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14451

SweetZ28
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
We have a new user from Traxxas on the forum. He should help clear some things up.

Also my wish is that the boat doesnt come with all the "Traxxas" logos painted on. I really dont want to have a boat thats a billboard for Traxxas.

I am with you Steve on this i think that paint style is outdated being they did it on the rc's for ever i am sick of that look.

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
peal em off :thumbup:
being it's abs they should come of easy

BHChieftain
05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Just noticed that the video was produced by D and J Hobbies, Campbell, CA. That's where I shop!!

:thumbup1:
-Chief

forescott
05-11-2010, 11:08 PM
If traxxas claims 50mph on 6s, then wouldnt that put the motor in the 1200-1400kv range?? If so this would exclude the possibility of a castle motor like the ones used in their monster trucks(2200kv)

forescott
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Just noticed that the video was produced by D and J Hobbies, Campbell, CA. That's where I shop!!

:thumbup1:
-Chief
Me too! I'm in gilroy. Where do you run your boats??

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
If traxxas claims 50mph on 6s, then wouldnt that put the motor in the 1200-1400kv range?? If so this would exclude the possibility of a castle motor like the ones used in their monster trucks(2200kv)

they said it's a new motor made just for this boat, also the esc.. :thumbup1:

tiqueman
05-11-2010, 11:37 PM
they said it's a new motor made just for this boat, also the esc.. :thumbup1:

Its gunna be G-Freak stage 5 product... :buttrock: :just-kidding:

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 11:53 PM
that's scary, don't do that :w00t:

BHChieftain
05-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Me too! I'm in gilroy. Where do you run your boats??

I run at Kaiser Cove in Fremont-- the Model Mariners club is up there. Bigwaveohs is also there.

How about you? Any good lakes in your neck of the woods that allow model boats?

-Chief

Darin Jordan
05-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Have any of you considered that Traxxas, having previously release a boat that used a 2 into 1 geardrive, may be using a pair of their Brushless motors and ESCs?

tiqueman
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Didnt see this anywhere in here before, but I found this.. forgive me if its a repeat

From Pete at Traxxas

"The new boat is AWESOME, and that's the RC guy in me talking, not the Traxxas guy. Anticipated price is $400, but that's not locked in. The graphics will change too, anything currently on the web is pre-production stuff. Looks cool, but not final. And we don't have a name yet."

"The plan is to get the NTB (New Traxxas Boat) out by the end of June. But, like the price, that's not set in stone. The goal is always, "as soon as possible, as affordably as posible," but since this is an all-new boat for us, we can't totally pin those things down to the day and the dollar at the moment, but price and release date will firm up soon. Stay tuned."

"It is plasticbut not like the Villain and other Traxxas boats (not that there's anything wrong with them in their intended affordable fun-boating mission). For this new boat, a specially designed hull optimized for heavy-duty brushless power has been created that is unlike anything currently available. You won't wish it was fiberglass. More details to follow in the official release."

Hope I didnt violate any rules doin that....??

tiqueman
05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
9 seconds in, says it comes w/ the velineon power system? Know nothing about those to comment

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=velineon+brushless+system&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3231092385443498551&ei=pTHqS-u6KsKB8gb7z8njDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCMQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers (not this specific motor, just for reference)

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
9 seconds in, says it comes w/ the velineon power system? Know nothing about those to comment

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=velineon+brushless+system&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3231092385443498551&ei=pTHqS-u6KsKB8gb7z8njDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCMQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers (not this specific motor, just for reference)

It's a new Velineon system for this boat and I think the motor is a Feigao design

tiqueman
05-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Are all the other Velineon systems for thier car/ truck stuff? They dont have one in a boat yet, do they? Im not up on the Traxxas brushless stuff.

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Are all the other Velineon systems for thier car/ truck stuff? They dont have one in a boat yet, do they? Im not up on the Traxxas brushless stuff.

yes for their 10th scale trucks
the motor is a HOSS! :thumbup1:
it puts down some real power

RandyatBBY
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought I would pop in hear and say that you never know about the hull it may be a FG and a Styrene Plastic hatch. We all have to wait to see it to know for sure. No mater what I feel the more the better. It will be interesting to see what they do for 6S ESC!:blah:

Darin Jordan
05-12-2010, 04:43 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do for 6S ESC!:blah:

So, imagine, if you will... a pair of Velineon power systems, each powered by a standard 2S/3S ESC, all going through a 2 into 1 gearbox.

Then each ESC would only see 2S or 3S... Would carry 6S, but it would be split between two motors...

Hmmmm.... Just guessing... They may have actually built new stuff, but this would nicely utilize stuff they already have...

JMSCARD
05-12-2010, 05:21 PM

the 2200kv castle is a neu 1515 1y basically... meaning they could be having castle supply the 1515 1.5y 1500kv motors... same can different kv.... I have 3 1515 1.5y's and they are great motors....

SweetZ28
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
traxxas said it's not the stuff used for there other boats hulls it's a new methode and they said you wont want it to be fiber glass after seeing it.

Seen this on another board.

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 06:12 PM
So, imagine, if you will... a pair of Velineon power systems, each powered by a standard 2S/3S ESC, all going through a 2 into 1 gearbox.

Then each ESC would only see 2S or 3S... Would carry 6S, but it would be split between two motors...

Hmmmm.... Just guessing... They may have actually built new stuff, but this would nicely utilize stuff they already have...

They did say it is a whole new system...

LiPo Power
05-12-2010, 06:25 PM
46 seconds of the video presenter is explaining what material this hull is made off....

RandyatBBY
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
traxxas said it's not the stuff used for there other boats hulls it's a new methode and they said you wont want it to be fiber glass after seeing it.

Seen this on another board.

Got a link to that statement? I would like to look!

mappo
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
46 seconds of the video presenter is explaining what material this hull is made off....

spoke with Traxxas today and asked about the new boat, and was told Abs was the choice to build even though all other manufactures are doing theirs in fiber glass. cost was a factor according to them. i think that's a whole lot of crap. Thunder tiger did it with glass for about the same cost!

https://www.thundertiger4u.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7557

Skunk Works
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Very interested in looking under the hood of this boat. I see in the vid that it has some type of stinger drive with a metal prop. Rudder standoff looks nice from a distance. Not a fan of the one piece bent over fins...and a different color...maybe different on the production mode. But I hope they do something on the graphics. You can see the orange peel wrinkles on the transom, not a good look.

$400 for 50mph speed, 2.4 ghz and the traxxas warranty.... I am game. Wish they would look at something different in design. Everything has been a vee hull from them.

Now double up the systems or run a gearbox setup as Darin spoke of earlier and put it in a villain and that would be quite an interesting ride. I sense some future builds...

Scotty - Skunk Works -

Skunk Works
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
One more thought. This setup will handle 6s. Traxxas markets their own batteries and connectors. Does this mean that Traxxas will be getting into the lipo market also? I bet yes as it will help reduce risk of warranty returns and replacements. I would look for more info on this also.

Scotty - Skunk Works -

Xfactor
05-12-2010, 10:07 PM
And don't forget this video I posted in the thread I started here, has a good 50mph pass on it..
and so many people already dissing this boat :doh:
I started the thread on the 8th and it already has over 150 replies
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14451
I dont know why thats a sharp boat. And traxxas makes good stuff. Ive had a tmax and I have a revo now.

Xfactor
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
It sure looks to handle really well.

RCKong
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree with Darin Jordan. Traxxas already has a proven brushless system. I don't think they will be out with an all new motor with 40mm X 75mm can. It takes 2500+ watts to push a 36" boat to 50 + mph... my DF33 tops out at 60 mph and that takes a 1521 neu on 6s to get it there. Two 1500 watt motors could do the same thing...but it does say in the video that it has an all new system - if it is direct drive that will be one heck of a motor !

T.S.Davis
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I just watched that video again. The announcer says that the 30+mph speed is already the fastest RTR speed you can buy. I know I'm nit picking but I wish all the manufacturers would just let the product speak for itself some times.

Xfactor
05-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I concur. Brushless twins on a 2 to 1 gearbox would be pretty potent

Steven Vaccaro
05-12-2010, 11:03 PM

Please no gear boxes! There just isn't a need for it any longer.

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM

before Traxxas came out with the brushless Emaxx and Revo, they did a twin VXL, and that setup did not come close in power and simplicity as the MMM Castle/Neu
but it was cool to see a twin brushless in a monster truck :rockon2:

SweetZ28
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Got a link to that statement? I would like to look!

Copied from RCU from a traxxas guy on the board.

The new boat is AWESOME, and that's the RC guy in me talking, not the Traxxas guy. Anticipated price is $400, but that's not locked in. The graphics will change too, anything currently on the web is pre-production stuff. Looks cool, but not final. And we don't have a name yet.

The ABS hull is unlike anything else you've experienced, and gives up nothing to a 'glass hull.

The brushless system is designed specifically for this boat, it's not a retuned version of our car system 9or any car system). It's watercooled and waterproof, and built to handle 6S.

I can't wait until the official release...you're gonna dig it!

Pete

pvieira(at)traxxas.com

< Message edited by PeterTRAXXAS -- 5/10/2010 6:59 PM >

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9718524/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#ixzz0nmCEGVZb

RCKong
05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Ah Ha... I too listened to the video several times and it says it has a direct drive setup with flexshaft, and several HP traxxas motor, with waterproof speedy nice... and the hull looks and rides good in the water. HMMM I bet it can go faster...

Darin Jordan
05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Regardless of the power system, I'd be interested to know of the 36" length given is the real hull length, or with hardware?

If it includes hardware, then I think it's safe to assume that the hull would be in the 33-34" range, which would be great for NAMBA/IMPBA racing. Anytime there is another hull choice out there that might help bring people into the racing world, I'm excited.

MORE of you need to get involved in the racing. You'll learn more, and have more fun, and make MORE friends, that you EVER will sport hopping! It's really not that much of a major committment, and it's a ton of fun!

T.S.Davis
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Amen Darin. I was really nervous about racing but once you get to know the guys your racing with it's just crazy gobs of fun. Every time a heat ends we have to yell at the guys to bring their boats in because they're too busy yapp'n about the heat. Usually giggling like children.

I was thinking about those old FDM32 plastic hulls. Those came with a slick frame assembly you dropped in to stiffen the whole thing up. They could do the same thing with this. A well placed inner liner with stringers formed into them could make it pretty sturdy.

Brushless55
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
We could also add some CF if needed

T.S.Davis
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, even a couple cheapo aero shafts could make a difference.

If they're hitting 50 I wonder what someone with some prop expertise could squeeze out of it.

Mel279
05-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Hope they don't use those KB45 motors because they sucks.