PDA

View Full Version : Batery and esc recomendation

fmarcelo
05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I am building from scratch a 1377mm long cat, that is dual driven.I would like to run eletric and I want to keep this cat at a budget, so I was thinking of buying motors, batery and esc from Hobby King.
My question is what motors and esc would you guys recommend for this size boat. Battery wise I dont really want to go higher than 5s lipos. The lipos will be 25 or 30c 5000 mAh I am not sure if that is possible, Im not looking at super fast speeds, just something that will be fun to run. I am taking sugestions and help as a new member, this is my first tread that I am started, my project is just starting so if you guys recomend any changes, I will be more then glade to take, I am not such experience guy in electric all ways run on gas, will be my first electric build...
Thanks guys

Meniscus
05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Concerning your questions, what is your budget and are you planning on running metal props?

If you consider that on a couple 2s or 3s packs, there are some outrunners that will allow you to run a lower RPM setup but swing a slightly larger prop. As long as you are talking sport boating and cruising around, that type of setup will serve your purposes fine.

If you are going to push the speed, you could easily spend upwards of $500, even at HobbyKing pricing.

fmarcelo
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Concerning your questions, what is your budget and are you planning on running metal props?

I was looking into steinless steel form the prop shop UK, what size do you suggest?

If you consider that on a couple 2s or 3s packs, there are some outrunners that will allow you to run a lower RPM setup but swing a slightly larger prop. As long as you are talking sport boating and cruising around, that type of setup will serve your purposes fine.

What is the diefference outrunner in runner? I don't know that

I was think maybe 2 5s 5000mah per motor what do you think?

I was thinking around 35 to 55 miles what kind of set up I will need if I like to run on this speed ?

If you are going to push the speed, you could easily spend upwards of $500, even at HobbyKing pricing.

what kind of set up you will recomend for that kind of money that I can attive that kind od speed ?

Thank you for all your help

Meniscus
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
An inrunner motor has stationary coils which surround the rotating magnet at the center. An outrunner motor has stationary coils at the center, and the rotating magnet on the outside. Outrunner motors generally have lower Kv ratings, meaning they run at a lower speed, but with more torque, which would allow you to turn larger props.

I'd like to differ to one of the other more experienced forum members to provide additional input and recommendations for you. There are many here that have lots of experience with twins and I certainly don't want to give you bad info.

Someone want to weigh in here?

tiqueman
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Your lookin at a pretty big hull to push and stay "budget". My first suggestion would be, smaller hull. My pretty extreme budget build in a 32" cat still cost about $800.00 to make run, then another 150 or so to complete (paint, details etc)

Your gunna need some serious motors to get that thing moving and be happy. Think of it like this. A 54" hull doing 35mph, or a 32 " hull doing 70mph.. which is more impressive? You could build a smaller hull, using Turnigy motors, esc etc and probably stay around the $500.00 mark, or less (complete) and have a 50+ mph boat.

I came from the gas side as well. 16 years of it.. and Im hooked more on FE in the little over a year that Ive been doin it than I ever was in gas. I have thousands and thousands of dollars into some 50+ inch gas hulls and just about every one of my FE boats will stomp all over them. I wont lie.. I miss the sound of a 26cc Zenoah hittin the pipe... and the length of run times.. but the speed of FE is something else.

Seems your like I was.. your used to lookin at those big hulls. My best advice to you is, start smaller.

ED66677
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I second Tiqueman, a 1377mm long hull will cost a fortune even if ordering at HC, start smaller!... unless you have unlimited budget!
I will also add that importing stuff in Brasil will seriously increase the bill!!!

fmarcelo
05-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Your lookin at a pretty big hull to push and stay "budget". My first suggestion would be, smaller hull. My pretty extreme budget build in a 32" cat still cost about $800.00 to make run, then another 150 or so to complete (paint, detail

Your gunna need some serious motors to get that thing moving and be happy. Think of it like this. A 54" hull doing 35mph, or a 32 " hull doing 70mph.. which is more impressive? You could build a smaller hull, using Turnigy motors, esc etc and probably stay around the $500.00 mark, or less (complete) and have a 50+ mph boat.

I am thinking of doing this right now, I have my project reduce to 900mm what will you think?

I came from the gas side as well. 16 years of it.. and Im hooked more on FE in the little over a year that Ive been doin it than I ever was in gas. I have thousands and thousands of dollars into some 50+ inch gas hulls and just about every one of my FE boats will stomp all over them. I wont lie.. I miss the sound of a 26cc Zenoah hittin the pipe... and the length of run times.. but the speed of FE is something else.

I have contact with a taiwan company call shang yang they do rc marine engines so I will steel finish the 54" hull and invest some money and put at gas, I will going to do some thinking on it..

Seems your like I was.. your used to lookin at those big hulls. My best advice to you is, start smaller.

ED66677
05-10-2010, 08:59 AM
900mm is more reasonable! but is this your first boat? if yes, go for an existing well known hull! you'll have more support from those who already built one!

fmarcelo
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
My problem with hull is, just freight alone to bring a 1377 or a 900 size hull is around U$ 1000 because is price by cubic meter so just freight will kill my project, so I have a experience frind that to molding for rc planes, he deed a veriety of projects, to do the molding for me and take the hull out in fiber glass, this will be a only way to do this boat here, if my molding come out good I am even going to sell this hull to make some money....

tiqueman
05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
900mm will be much better. And I agree w/ ED66677, if you can, get an existing hull so that folks can help you on your set up. Otherwise, your only gunna get ideas to solve problems rather than answers. I think you would have a more enjoyable build. Thers some really nice cats out there that are inexpensive. ie HOTR 32" (about 800mm) catamaran. A great project hull indeed.

ED66677
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
hey Fmarcelo, plenty of wood you have in Brazil don't you? get the Wasabi (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13086) scaled to 30" more or less, get a Feigao8XL from OSE, a cheap 120A ESC, a pair of 2S Rhino's 4900mAh from HC and some hardware if you can't make it yourself... you'll have fun! guaranteed! this hull is pretty much like a well known DeltaForce! I know it's a mono not a cat but a really good start to learn a lot about FE boat!

fmarcelo
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
here is my build

fmarcelo
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
my build

fmarcelo
06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
here is my hardaware