PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Mono!

Brushless55
05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, it's the new Traxxas Brushless Mono, runs 4s to 6s, and it looks cool :rockon2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFw0Dr4fUw

Diesel6401
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
NICE... I like it, now I gotta ANOTHER boat on the wish list... im going to need a second job soon :doh:

Diegoboy
05-08-2010, 09:24 PM
sweet looking boat. I hope traxxas makes a hydro.

Brushless55
05-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Tell me about it, I just went back to work last month after 4 1/2 months off and now I want to build a 40" mono, and 36" twin cat, and now this boat shows up :doh:

Brushless55
05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
sweet looking boat. I hope traxxas makes a hydro.

that would be cool!
I'm thinking this mono may have Castle motor and esc?

dana
05-08-2010, 09:37 PM
damn, and you know its built to take serious abuse....its a traxxas!

lectriglide
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking this mono may have Castle motor and esc?

:thumbup1: Maybe we now know the reason Joe Ford has been stealth :thumbup:
Talking to Traxxas about a big brushless boat!! Looks pretty GOOOOOD. 50+ mph out of the box on 6s - WOW.

Efis
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Is it 36"?

Blake

Diesel6401
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM

:iagree:
I just cant destroy my slash, the darn thing keeps running...lol

lectriglide
05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Is it 36"?

Blake

thats what the vid said.

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM

I hear that!
I have a 6XL Brushless Revo and it flippin rips! :rockon2:
I want to do a twin brushless 36" cat build and a 40" mono, but now this thing looks cool, so I don't know what to do? :confused2:
I don't have the cash for all three...

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:51 AM
and $400 sounds like a good price..

speedsport
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
:w00t:That thing rocks. I want one.

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 01:56 AM
thats actually a really neat looking boat wow! it took them long enough.

FighterCat57
05-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Nice. An RTR that will be. If they stay with Castle ESC/Motors like in their 1/8th trucks, that'll be really cool.
________
Plymouth voyager (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Voyager)

2fast
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
it will porobably not be a mamba monster because they said its water proof, mambas arent water proof unless traxxas is now sealing them?

HYDROJERRY
05-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Dont no but man it looks SWEET, Oyeah i want one and heard on the other forum not many like the logos all over but i think it makes it look mean....

FighterCat57
05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
it will porobably not be a mamba monster because they said its water proof, mambas arent water proof unless traxxas is now sealing them?

I'm thinking they'll work with Castle to design one just for this (and potentially any other) boat they are building. I don't know anything though, I'm just an observer.

I do know a guy at Traxxas, so will see if he's got anything to say that's not already common information.
________
CHARGER (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Charger)

dana
05-09-2010, 08:26 AM
i read somewhere else that Aquacraft is coming out with a cat? not just the mini's.... anyone know?

Doby
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
i read somewhere else that Aquacraft is coming out with a cat? not just the mini's.... anyone know?

Check the AQ forum on this site, there is a thread about it.

Raydee
05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I am impressed with the look of the hull! It did look like the stinger wasn't adjustable but that can always be changed.

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Very cool lookin hull To bad Traxxas failed to look at the guys who Race or the rules allowances, Its to big in a p set up and will get ate alive in The S-T classes, it is running 50MPH on 6S and the current 4s boats are faster. Still cool looking.

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 11:43 AM

I bet Castle has come up with something special for them on this boat :rockon2:

Rumdog
05-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Traxxas isn't really into racing in any aspect of their model. Except maybe the salsh .Yhey offer excellent, tough and fast rtrs. This boat looks awesome, and def. oveer 50mph at the end of the vid. Most guys buying rtrs are sport boaters anyhow. I'd look for this to be THE best RTR on the market.

Rumdog
05-09-2010, 11:52 AM
It may have the Castle/Neu motor with a hydra.

Raydee
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
With Traxxas having their own brushless systems I doubt that they would have Castle making a system for them but who knows.

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
With Traxxas having their own brushless systems I doubt that they would have Castle making a system for them but who knows.

They did for the Revo and Emaxx..
but it could be some new VXL setup because its only $400 for this rtr

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Traxxas isn't really into racing in any aspect of their model. Except maybe the salsh .Yhey offer excellent, tough and fast rtrs. This boat looks awesome, and def. oveer 50mph at the end of the vid. Most guys buying rtrs are sport boaters anyhow. I'd look for this to be THE best RTR on the market.

This is very true.. :thumbup1:

lectriglide
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Wouldn't think the Traxxas system would be capable of getting this boat 50+. Like Brushless said Traxxas has the Castle 1515 and Mamba Monster in the E Revo and E Maxx. My guess would be a new Ice :beerchug: or maybe the Hydra if it is coming out in June..

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
either way, it will be interesting to see just what they use that can take 6s, rtr, for under $400 :rockon2:

Raydee
05-09-2010, 12:32 PM
IF it was the hydra ICE controller under the hatch that would explain why they wouldn't show it in the vid.

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
they are punks for not showing us :tongue_smilie:

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Put a nice motor in a Bleach bottle and its still a Bleach bottle.

Doby
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM
And Ray,,,you are basing your comment on what insider information you have and the rest of the world doesn't?

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Put a nice motor in a Bleach bottle and its still a Bleach bottle.

don't buy it... :bounce:
hey if this bottle can do 50mph then heck ya!
traxxas stands behind what they sell, and they sell more rtr than anyone else, so it should be good

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I am in no way a sport runner in my eyes I'd rather watch paint dry then just sport run, If traxxas is not Trying to go after racers market why does nearly every product they sell claim to be "RACE READY" I guess it would be your problem if its not going to fit somewhere, IMO I think they would have expanded their market with a good RTR that fit within a class that it could be competative in, was my point. But it still looks like a nice hull.

BakedMopar
05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Is it ABS or Glass? Looks to be ABS.

forescott
05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow! Gonna have to open a Traxxas section in the forum now. I'm bettin a new traxxas motor/esc combo. I would think a castle motor/speed control would put this model well over 400-bucks! I might have to cancel my order for the ekos P-1 from tower. This one will probably be out before the P-1 anyway! :doh:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Who cares imo if this fits a race class....
Only just a few who buy Traxxas actually race, and this sucker will sell great..
I for one will buy it and have lots of fun out at the lake..
We don't need to be in a race class to have fun

forescott
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Only just a few who buy Traxxas actually race, and this suck will sell great..

!!!!!!!! DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!:banroll:

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Only just a few who buy Traxxas actually race, and this sucker will sell great..

this coming from a person that said he wants to race and win!!!!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
this coming from a person that said he wants to race and win!!!!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Your Kidding Right????:rofl:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 03:54 PM

who said I was going to race this rtr?
and racing is not about winning its about having fun with your friends! :rockon2:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 03:55 PM
!!!!!!!! DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!::

right on man! :rockon2:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow! Gonna have to open a Traxxas section in the forum now. I'm bettin a new traxxas motor/esc combo. I would think a castle motor/speed control would put this model well over 400-bucks! I might have to cancel my order for the ekos P-1 from tower. This one will probably be out before the P-1 anyway! :doh:

Agreed..
It would be sweet if they could for that price though

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
and racing is not about winning its about having fun with your friends! :rockon2:

I never said you were gonna race this particular boat.

I do agree that they should have built a boat that is a class legal boat in the more popular 4s classes. Like the UL1 its a great sport boat and also very capable race boat.

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
:sold: GOOD IN THEORY, Right up to the start gun!!:zip-up:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
:sold: GOOD IN THEORY, Right up to the start gun!!::

Should be that way all day long at the lake! :beerchug:
if people are idiots right after the start, they should find something else to do and get a life
big reason why some choose not to race, is because of the idots who take it to serious and ruin it for everyone

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I never said you were gonna race this particular boat.

I do agree that they should have built a boat that is a class legal boat in the more popular 4s classes. Like the UL1 its a great sport boat and also very capable race boat.

their market is for a lot of people and not taylored to just the race crowed..
It would be cool thought if it did fit in a class we have already, but then again Traxxas created many race classes we have today with their trucks
who knows, if a lot of people buy them and I know they will, clubs could easily start a new class for this hull
cheap way to get into racing with this size of hull

BakedMopar
05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry but I don't buy that I don't race to win. It's like playing sports and not keeping score.

My two pennies worth!

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 04:23 PM
If you look at History you may see my point, AQ announced the UL-1 Built to NAMBA P- Class race specs, Then before it was released they put it in to Brian Buuas Hands, BTW he is a racer, He tested and pushed it, and allowed what he found that could be done with one to be known, It's now it one of the most sold and raced boats, IMO if you think sport runners are not watching and buying what is being raced you're making a mistake. And the Man who designed it is also a NAMBA racer.

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Sorry but I don't buy that I don't race to win. It's like playing sports and not keeping score.

My two pennies worth!

:rockon2::rockon2::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
If you look at History you may see my point, AQ announced the UL-1 Built to NAMBA P- Class race specs, Then before it was released they put it in to Brian Buuas Hands, BTW he is a racer, He tested and pushed it, and allowed what he found that could be done with one to be known, It's now it one of the most sold and raced boats, IMO if you think sport runners are not watching and buying what is being raced you're making a mistake. And the Man who designed it is also a NAMBA racer.

Who said this boat was not race worthy but you....?

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM

My two pennies worth!

And this hull could do very well!

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I am racer and a sport runner when I am not racing and running my boats I call it test and tune:laugh::laugh:

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM

yes it could but its a Q class boat in size there is not a single Q class mono in our club at all. and probably very few in other clubs to.

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM

A 36 inch hull is a Q and up boat, They state 50 MPH on a 6s set up which is Q, power Sorry but 50 is not goin to cut it in Q,S&T classes. The Hull looks great and I agree, it looks like a nice boat. But to make this RTR hull raceable there are other hulls that could be just as nice for less money in the long run.

ENCORE MAN
05-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I am happy to see such a large company ditch its geared running system and deplorable steerable outdrive system. With the continual high winds experienced in Florida for the past 6 months, the size of this direct drive boat will make it a great club boat available at a reasonable price with parts and warranty guaranteed. The hull might not be state of the art but should handle a rough chop AND provide many hours of high quality entertainment. What else matters? Thanks for your time. BG

Doby
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Glad to see all the "experts" condemming the performance of the boat already....they must have had advanced trial runs with it to make theses statements.

I race with some experts up here on occasion and quite often their boats are pushed to hard and end up on their backs....fastest does not always win the race....but I guess that thought never occured to anyone.

Oh well......

Rumdog
05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Wow, It'a friggin rtr. Not a purpose built race machine. Don't buy it if you dont like it. Trust me, Traxxas knows how to market their product, and the WILL sell a TON. Guess what, they'll stock replacement parts and give excellent customer service as well!

Rumdog
05-09-2010, 06:43 PM

Traxxas uses Castle products in their rtr monster trucks.

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Who said this boat was not race worthy but you....?

Race worthy yes but, one hit broadside and the ABS hull is in Davey Jones' Locker.

:rockon2:

ABS is good for sport boating but, if run in a crowd of boats, eventually it will see holes and cracks. The colder it is , the worse the problem.

Ask me how I know?

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
yes it could but its a Q class boat in size there is not a single Q class mono in our club at all. and probably very few in other clubs to.

This hull would be a snack in Q-MONO.

Rumdog
05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Sorry, how do we know it's abs?

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Wow, It'a friggin rtr. Not a purpose built race machine. Don't buy it if you dont like it. Trust me, Traxxas knows how to market their product, and the WILL sell a TON. Guess what, they'll stock replacement parts and give excellent customer service as well!

This is accurate, it is a good RTR. Traxxas does make nice rtr dtuff and does serve its customers well, just lose the "race" tag.

Definition of Racing Rc electric boats is impossible. We all have a racer inside, some more aggressive than others. Yes there are meatheads in racing and meathead sport runners too.

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry, how do we know it's abs?

Been doing allot of reading etc, and from the one video it looks like shoe box construction. Good indicators it is ABS. I'm not 100% sure but, from other forums, I have read it is ABS. If it is Glass, great, all the better.

Doby
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
So lets all stop making assumptions untill some facts are known....untill then know one knows anything.

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
o.k. here we are.

You can see at the transom there is the tell tale lip of shoebox construction. This only really means that it was designed with simple manufacturing techniques to lower the cost.

You can see the cowl is Definately ABS. I can tell at a distance (to a degree) if something is FG or plastic.

Here are some pics...

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Glad to see all the "experts" condemming the performance of the boat already....they must have had advanced trial runs with it to make theses statements.

I race with some experts up here on occasion and quite often their boats are pushed to hard and end up on their backs....fastest does not always win the race....but I guess that thought never occured to anyone.

Oh well......

How can you condem the statements they are making as selling points in their videos???? Those are the the key points they make! No one is judging only going by what they state!! And I have found that most companies selling points are somewhat exagerated, so that should allow for some skeptisism! I actually race a Traxxas Villian that is kind of modified, in P P-spec off shore and do very well with it. I do like their hulls for some reason.

Doby
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Not theirs,,yours...

Hydromaniac
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Not theirs,,yours...

My statements are taken directly from Traxxas videos and press releases. No secrets, these are their power and speed claims not mine.

Diegoboy
05-09-2010, 07:56 PM
I can't wait to see it in the LHS

Doby
05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
A 36 inch hull is a Q and up boat, They state 50 MPH on a 6s set up which is Q, power Sorry but 50 is not goin to cut it in Q,S&T classes. The Hull looks great and I agree, it looks like a nice boat. But to make this RTR hull raceable there are other hulls that could be just as nice for less money in the long run.

Raceable can mean a lot of different things to many people,,from fun runs to SAWs and everything in between. Who cares if it doesn't perfectly fit one of the current classes in either of the two main organizatons.

Just about every RTR boat on the market, gas or FE is marketed as "Race Ready" these days. What are they going to put,,,,"Display Ready"???

Buy it if you want,,,use it for fun running or racing,,,will it win a lot of races, who knows, but the main idea of this hobby is to have fun.....some people really take the race thing to seriously for their own good.

How many people supported their family's racing RC boats last year? So why do we do this.....FUN:beerchug:

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Funny I don't think anybody's saying the the performance of the boat sucks I think it runs well for an RTR and it looks sweet.

I wish Traxxas would have built it shorter and I would probably buy it and use it in P spec off shore for fun as it looks good. (I hate the looks of the Delta Force and Rico boats) but its to long for me. If it is abs I would not put in Q mono/Qoffshore at all, the heavier boats would as Ray put it "make a snack out of it" in a collision.

Traxxas makes a product that stands out in this arena but limits it users. And I don't see clubs jumping all over it just to make a class out of it.

If people have read recently what is going on in Namba, proposals are trying to limit classes.

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Not theirs,,yours...

Doby did you watch the video? they do say 50mph on 6s!

ray schrauwen
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I think it is a fine boat and has its place. I'm sure it will give many hours of pleasure to the owners.

I was mearly pointing things out so that some people might not get dissapointed if they had higher expectations. I like the looks of the boat if it is glass, great but, plastic, tub toy...

Sorry if my opinion offends people, oh well....

Jeepers
05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
I think it is a fine boat and has its place. I'm sure it will give many hours of pleasure to the owners.

I was mearly pointing things out so that some people might not get dissapointed if they had higher expectations. I like the looks of the boat if it is glass, great but, plastic, tub toy...

agreed I just wish they would have looked at the racers as well!

properchopper
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
their market is for a lot of people and not taylored to just the race crowed..
It would be cool thought if it did fit in a class we have already, but then again Traxxas created many race classes we have today with their trucks
who knows, if a lot of people buy them and I know they will, clubs could easily start a new class for this hull
cheap way to get into racing with this size of hull

I think what B55 is saying here is right on the mark. Witness what became a highly popular club level SV-27 race class after the SV-27's introduction. Here's a great looking boat (my opinion), backed by a reputable company, reasonably priced and very likely nicely equipped for 400 bucks RtR. At 36" it should, unlike the SV-27, be very stable and pilotable by entry level boaters. I'd love to race one of these in a "stock" class & look forward to see this product grow this FE "thing" we all enjoy. :thumbup1:

JMSCARD
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I have MANY traxxas products and have been super happy with all of them.... In fact my erevo brushless edition runs so hard at out local club in the monster truck class that they want to make me run in the pro truggy class... Literally runs pro truggy B main Type lap times..... For a sport truck it sure is a strong performer andi can't kill it...You should see the tumbles this thing has taken... But I also can't believe how much my erevo loves to land on it's "feet" my erevo Has won our fun "long jump" competition literally everytime I've brought it to the track... These traxxas are bulletproof for the most part, if there boats are the same it could do great things for "newcomers" entering our beloved hobby.... I highly doubt traxxas is gonna bring junk to any market.... On top of that ithink this is a great way to get more people addicted to this great sport.... Let's face it.... When's the last time traxxas has let us down?

detox
05-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I bet it will be using the fan cooled Mamba Monster controller or maybe a new water cooled version. Same controller used in the Brushless E Maxx and Brushless Revo. Lets see what happens when people start using more aggressive props to go faster than box stock 50mph. Will the controller live?

So far the Mamba Monster has worked perfectly in my Phil Thomas SS 21.

Brushless55
05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I think what B55 is saying here is right on the mark. Witness what became a highly popular club level SV-27 race class after the SV-27's introduction. Here's a great looking boat (my opinion), backed by a reputable company, reasonably priced and very likely nicely equipped for 400 bucks RtR. At 36" it should, unlike the SV-27, be very stable and pilotable by entry level boaters. I'd love to race one of these in a "stock" class & look forward to see this product grow this FE "thing" we all enjoy. :thumbup1:

I agree, I think with the rep Traxxas has and the fact that many have followed in their foot steps, who knows what this could do for the FE crowd
A stock class could be a hoot! :beerchug:
can you imagine 6 or more of these hulls all stock running at the same time.
that could be some very fun racing, and let the best driver win

lectriglide
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
If you listen real close at the 1:02 mark, he says "watercooled, waterproof ESC, brand new for this boat" Guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

Jeepers
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
sounds to me like the racers were left out, the ones THAT would like to race it. Under current rules that most clubs use to keep competition fair, this boat in size fits Q. (Because you know everyone is gonna stick 6s in it!) and it does not fit in P class cause its to long. It does not seem to me that a lot of Q class boats are built. ( I may be wrong, I am basing this on a conversation I had with Brian Blazer at Blazer Marine)

Lets say for example that Traxxas did team up with Castle and put a nice big motor and esc in it.

Now lets use my club for an example we do not have Q mono/ Q off shore, and a new guy show's up with one of these sporting 6s of raw power were do we put him (we are trying to accommodate and grow are numbers) in P-mono? oh wait we don't have that either, but we do have P spec offshore, but the guy only has 6s batteries and wants to race bad and wants to continue racing. So...

a) we as club forgive the length but now he has to buy a new power system, (or new boat), which he might not want to do.

b) continue to allow him to race with his set up and smoke the competition every time.... I do not think other racers would enjoy this.

c) everyone run out and buy a Traxxas and 6s batteries and start another stock class, probably not gonna happen....

d) new guy gets mad and leaves.

See the problem.

Like I said Traxxas made a nice boat and it runs well. I just wish they would have done it like AQ did with the UL1. oh well you cant please everyone!

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 01:34 AM
I really don't think Traxxas built this boat to run in a specific class and they didn't
I think some should get over it and race what they have and not rip on a RTR they will never buy...

Traxxas has started many new classes because of what they have built
the Traxxas Slash was a whole new truck and they did not know where to put them during race days, well guess what, every good club started a new SC class and everyother company started building SC trucks and they sell like crazy!
and the Traxxas Slash became one of the fastest selling RTR RC

and I bet a new class will start, it can happen

Jeff Wohlt
05-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I would just bet it will have fewer problems than the UL1 or EKOS coming out of the gate. Monos are just easier to work with IMHO.

Looks like a fun boat. I like the colors. Hulls may be avail as well.

Hydromaniac
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I really don't think Traxxas built this boat to run in a specific class and they didn't
I think some should get over it and race what they have and not rip on a RTR they will never buy...

and I bet a new class will start, it can happen

Why would there be a new class?? It is a Q class boat, already have class for it, Q Mono and Q Offshore. It would run in that class:confused: Rules are moving to lessen numbers of classes so I doubt many new ones will be added to fit each new rtr.

calcagno45
05-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Lets keep in mind that Traxxas has an excellent marketing plan! And adding the words "Race-ready" to their products sells!! Mission accomplished.

If Traxxas was serious about being a "racer's" brand you would have already seen a 1/8 truggy and buggy in both Nitro and Electric in their line-up. Instead, thats where Losi, Team Associated, Mugen, Xray etc. com into play. Traxxas has always prided itself on providing great RTR's, especially some that are "race ready." The only real racer they have is the Slash and Slash 4x4, which Traxxas basically forced a class of racing upon the country/world.

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Why would there be a new class?? It is a Q class boat, already have class for it, Q Mono and Q Offshore. It would run in that class:confused: Rules are moving to lessen numbers of classes so I doubt many new ones will be added to fit each new rtr.

They thought about lessening classes when the traxxas slash hit the market too....:) remember there was a 2wd stadium truck class when it came to the market too.......... and it still opened up a whole new segment, and helped alot of people get into the hobby who may have never looked into r/c before...

my 39" mono has a $400 hv 240 just for the esc..... this is a whole 50mph mono rtr for $400.... I think we should all cut traxxas a little slack here, tell me if I'm out of line but shouldn't we be thrilled that maybe traxxas could be helping the FE boating hobby? Traxxas has the largest and best marketing campaign of any other r/c company barnone....period, they have put r/c stuff in front of more peoples faces then any other company in the modern day, ....so lets be Happy:biggrin: I think this is really a great thing!!!

Hydromaniac
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
You can not try to compare ROAR and NAMBA or IMPBA You will never see a ROAR race that encompasses all of the electric classes that ROAR has, NAMBA does, We have several races that include every electric class offered, When a boat fits an exsisting class why would we make another class for only that boat, be it this one or any other that comes along?? The UL-1 Fits in to P- Limited and P sport hydros and thats where they are ran, not in their own special class. IMO this is a Q boat and thats where it should be raced if someone chooses to race it. The class is already in place.

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I used to race 1/10 scale pan carpet cars all over my area up here in New England.... raced them for 20 years on/off..... finally I gave it up all together, I got sick of the people who took the hobby to serious... a few of the guys would get all uptight and start getting "ticked" off and even swear words were being thrown around our track..... people just being WAY to competitive..... (remember we are adults and when there are kids around my tolerance level is ZERO. I had as much invested in equipment as anyone at our track.... (4) competition electronics turbo 35 gfx's, 3 ksg's, had $250 invested in the back axles of my pan cars as they were Niftech fully balanced setups..... and still when the "new" kid bumped me or someone used poor track manners... I never once got frustrated and threw stuff or tossed nasty words around.... I was there to relax on my day off... I was there to have FUN and if I won the A main great....if I didn't oh well I still had fun. I think this boat is about fun..... its about getting back to the basics of what these boats are meant to offer...... One of the reasons I got into boats was because on a nice day out of the office I'm not locked up in a barn at a carpet racetrack... I'm outside in the sun, by the water, relaxing and doing what makes me happy, and looking at this boat its gonna make alot of people happy... I think this boat will be purchased by the masses.... and if as many people buy these as they do the slash they will start a new class..... lets just all let be what will be and watch as like I said before, when a company as large as TRAXXAS jumps in with a boat like this one.... electric juice and all, jumps into the game its only gonna be good for all of us:beerchug::thumbup1::hug1:

Hydromaniac
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I give a lot of credit to Traxxas for the boat, but I think they could have seen a better market with a bit of research, I think they missed the boat so to say. I'm already in the market for just a hull to see if a real runner is hiding there.:rockon2:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Traxxas asked me to help develop this boat, they had lots of problems with chine walk and porpoise, but I couldn't betray Randy by exposing the things he's taught me to the mainstream..

I think its MAGNIFICENT when companies like this get excited about boats..

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Traxxas asked me to help develop this boat, they had lots of problems with chine walk and porpoise, but I couldn't betray Randy by exposing the things he's taught me to the mainstream..

I think its MAGNIFICENT when companies like this get excited about boats..

That's awesome they came to you for help!
Very cool

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Traxxas is EXTREMELY secretive about their designs..
I'm impressed they got as far as they did with this boat having ZERO input from any actual FE racers, and they didn't splash any hull.
They came up with the power setup all in-house and I'm willing to bet its a NEU based motor.

There's nothing negative about the impact this boat will have on the RC community.
It will only help FE grow just as Venom, Aquacraft and other commercially available boats that are well advertised

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I give a lot of credit to Traxxas for the boat, but I think they could have seen a better market with a bit of research, I think they missed the boat so to say. I'm already in the market for just a hull to see if a real runner is hiding there.:rockon2:

I agree Rod, it will be interesting to see what racers can do with this hull..

properchopper
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
It's good to see a healthy exchange of responses to what will likely be a very nice addition to our FE world, particularly with a well thought out & developed product . Where this intro may have shot itself in the foot, particularly among "racers" is employing the term "Race Ready" BUT it's a fairly common promotional term and I can excuse them for using it. Remember that we've only seen this one vendor-assisted video where the term was put forth, not the full media launch.
Realistically, this boat would have a hard time competing with full-on NAMBA or IMPBA spec'd boats, but come on, we all know where the target demographic for this boat lives !
I stand by my previous comment which echos Mr. B55's thoughts : A one-design club class of these boats running the oval. Fast enough, affordable enough, and maximum fun factor. For some, winning is everything, for me, just being there and hanging with the crew is what keeps me here. [ I'm sure these points are debatable, but my name is Tony and I approve this message :smile:]

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
It's good to see a healthy exchange of responses to what will likely be a very nice addition to our FE world, particularly with a well thought out & developed product . Where this intro may have shot itself in the foot, particularly among "racers" is employing the term "Race Ready" BUT it's a fairly common promotional term and I can excuse them for using it. Remember that we've only seen this one vendor-assisted video where the term was put forth, not the full media launch.
Realistically, this boat would have a hard time competing with full-on NAMBA or IMPBA spec'd boats, but come on, we all know where the target demographic for this boat lives !
I stand by my previous comment which echos Mr. B55's thoughts : A one-design club class of these boats running the oval. Fast enough, affordable enough, and maximum fun factor. For some, winning is everything, for me, just being there and hanging with the crew is what keeps me here. [ I'm sure these points are debatable, but my name is Tony and I approve this message :smile:]

I agree 100%

justintime2w8
05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
They said it was an ABS hull at :45 of the video that it was run in.
I don't really see $400 especially with so many fiberglass brushless boats around $200.
The fact that the motor/esc don't explode on 6s may be worth a few hundred $.
To me 50mph in a plastic hull is not something I would drop $400 for.
It did seem to run good, if it was a glass hull it would seem more of a value.

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't really see $400 especially with so many fiberglass brushless boats around $200.

A possible thought is, they went will a less expensive material in the hull to put the money in the motor and speed control. :thumbup1:
and who knows, this hull could very well rock! :rockon2:

Rumdog
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
What percentage of FE rc boaters do you think are into competetive racing? I'd say it's a pretty small percentage. Who's racing stock rtr's in this class anyhow? I you dont think it has the power, beef it up. Just like you'd do any other boat. I'm excited to see what Traxxas will have to offer for FE boats, and this one looks like a winner!

Doby
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM

So many $200 ready to run fiberglass 36" 6s boats that will do 50......where....I want some:confused2:

ray schrauwen
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Close but, not 50MPH, change motor to a Turnigy 4030HK 1100KV on 6S and pretty close for another $35.

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Close but, not 50MPH, change motor to a Turnigy 4030HK 1100KV on 6S and pretty close for another $35.

Yes very true...... but I just assume keep as much of my money as possible in the U.S. as I can, I guarantee traxxas is gonna be easier to deal with as far as product support and warranty.... but yes ray, I've seen that boat too and have been close to putting one in my fleet just for kicks.....

Doby
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Its a 3S boat with no radio and good luck on the service end if needed.........next. Lets try and compare apples to apples as well.

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Kinda like what you said... close but not even close
I think that boat is $300 shipped without radio not $200 rtr like you said there are
Customer service really does not exist with HC
Try again......

Steven Vaccaro
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Ray that boat needs to be totally gutted. All the wood stuff inside breaks off easily. Its the main reason I will not be selling those hulls. I would spend far more time on customer support on those, then I want to.

Steven Vaccaro
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Interesting post by the way. I now know why a Traxxas customer was buying carbon props and flex cables from me over the last couple of months. :bounce:

calcagno45
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting post by the way. I now know why a Traxxas customer was buying carbon props and flex cables from me over the last couple of months. :bounce:

Well, what size props did they buy? :zip-up:

justintime2w8
05-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok, so you give traxxas the markup money and they pay $200 to someone in china to make them. Your choice. I just like to get the most for my $$$.
For $200 you can't have 50mph but you can get there for a little $ in hop-ups
Also the traxxas is a 30mph boat, by their claims, that can be pushed to its limits running 6s.

I do understand their market, dude walks in the hobbyshop with a cooked SV and sees '50mph' in bold fancy letters and "ONLY $399" next to that, then, BAM! sold! His dream of having a fast boat have come true.

alvinsmith75
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I"m ready to pre-order, plain and simple. Also , I could give a crap less what class it may or may not fit into as long as it fits into the back of my truck and in the pond.

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I"m ready to pre-order, plain and simple. Also , I could give a crap less what class it may or may not fit into as long as it fits into the back of my truck and in the pond.

:iagree: :banana:

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok, so you give traxxas the markup money and they pay $200 to someone in china to make them. Your choice. I just like to get the most for my $$$.
Also the traxxas is a 30mph boat, by their claims, that can be pushed to its limits running 6s.
I do understand their market, dude walks in the hobbyshop with a cooked SV and sees '50mph' in bold fancy letters and "ONLY $399" next to that, then, BAM! sold! His dream of having a fast boat have come true.

That's 30mph with the included 7cell packs... A true RTR! :thumbup1:
6s = 50mph
but should we call Traxxas liers because the ERevo does not go 60mph like they claim but actually will run 80mph stock with a different spur and pinion gear and not blow up? :doh:

ray schrauwen
05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Ray that boat needs to be totally gutted. All the wood stuff inside breaks off easily. Its the main reason I will not be selling those hulls. I would spend far more time on customer support on those, then I want to.

O.k., then would you sell me your hull ? :bounce:

I can admit I'm wrong but, $400 for ABS is funky in my books.

It will be a fine boat, the Traxxas, that is...

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Well I don't think the pushing it to it's limits is true.... I've ran my erevo on 6s everyday all day since I bought it.... Can't kill it.... Everytime I want to impress someone with how far r/c has come I take it out of my trunk and "rip" it... I took it out at a bonfire party at my buddies house last weekend.... Had every person there asking questions..... The only thing I've ever broke on it is stripped out the axles and they are a cheap and easy fix.... If this boat is like their cars/trucks it will hardly be pushing it to it's limits... I can only bet those talking down on traxxas haven't owned one of their recent products.... And don't come back telling me you had a 1993 sledgehammer as that's not what I'm talking about... Lol.

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I agree about being able to beat the snot out of a Revo, and it keeps coming back for more..
the only thing that breaks on mine are the axles, and they don't just break, they twist apart! :w00t:

Rumdog
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree about being able to beat the snot out of a Revo, and it keeps coming back for more..
the only thing that breaks on mine are the axles, and they don't just break, they twist apart! :w00t:
Get yourself a set of cvd's and that prob. is gone! $400 seems like a great deal to me on this boat! I'm sure it'll have 2.4ghz radio too! Trust me, a glass hull will break just as easily as abs if T-boned! ABS hulls can be SUPER strong!

JMSCARD
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah I did but I bent a cvd.... Actually two of em.... Went back to the stock axles... They're cheap and easy to replace:) but rumdog you are right alot of tomes cvd's are great.... I think my suspension, long arm, over extended them or something? Not sure.....

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Get yourself a set of cvd's and that prob. is gone! $400 seems like a great deal to me on this boat! I'm sure it'll have 2.4ghz radio too! Trust me, a glass hull will break just as easily as abs if T-boned! ABS hulls can be SUPER strong!

It does have the new Traxxas 2.4g radio :rockon2:

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Not sure if this was posted yet here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7X83Rm5sU

Raydee
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Ahhh it is a ABS hull.....bummer!

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Ahhh it is a ABS hull.....bummer!

I don't see how that's a bummer..
it could actually be better :thumbup1:

Jeepers
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't see how that's a bummer..

no its a bummer all right... abs:ThumbsDown01:

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
no its a bummer all right... abs::

and no explanation of why, just digs :doh:

Jeepers
05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
and no explanation of why, just digs :doh:

no digs just don't like abs. personal preference. Dont care if its Traxxas, or any other boat builder not a fan of abs. prefer wood, FG CF.

Brushless55
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
well my guess is they went this way to keep the price lower, and spend the money on the motor and esc :Peace_Sign:

Doby
05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
And again, lets see how the overall boat performs before condemming its construction...etc.

bigcam406
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
as far as im concerned,Traxxas has too much experience in building quality products to skimp on a cheap hull,whether its abs,fibreglass,plastic etc.im thinking its gonna be a hit with us r/c boaters.:thumbup1:

Grimracer
05-11-2010, 07:59 AM
did he say Bud Boat?

Billy.. did you tell him thats what it was? :banana:

Grim

FE_Chris
05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Is it out of the question to assume maybe they had the hull made a bit thicker than a standard ABS hull? If so, who cares what it's made of as long as it holds up. Plus, if I found some weak spots in the hull I could always glass over it (I think so anyway, it's been a while since I last had a boat and actually did some fiberglassing.)

Bottom line, if it's fast enough, sturdy enough, big enough and is RTR for 400 bucks it's going to sell and be a nice boat. I don't plan on racing anything where I live, no racers anywhere near by. This boat would just be a fun time at the beech with my wife and I in-between relaxing in the sun drinking some beers.........Thats it.

But, just like the SV27, if people wanna race them, then you could always get a class going. 3+ boats is all it's going to take...... I don't think anyone looks at this boat and assumes it's going to run with rigs that are built with 800-1000+ dollars worth of RC electronics.

IMO.

Jeff Wohlt
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I ran a old EV abs hull into a dock (angle iron) at the lake at around 40 mph and no breakage. Some abs can take more abuse than FG which would have blown up like crazy...most cheap FG hulls are poly and not epoxy.

Looks like if they did spend it on electronics then they did the right thing.

Sharpen the transom area of the hull and end up seeing even better performance.

Great to see interest from the big boys in boats...can only be good for the sport.

A little prop tweaking on that 6S set up and performance could go way up!

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 09:03 AM
No doubt that boats like the UL-1 would be more structurally sound if they were abs.

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Is it out of the question to assume maybe they had the hull made a bit thicker than a standard ABS hull? If so, who cares what it's made of as long as it holds up. Plus, if I found some weak spots in the hull I could always glass over it (I think so anyway, it's been a while since I last had a boat and actually did some fiberglassing.)

Bottom line, if it's fast enough, sturdy enough, big enough and is RTR for 400 bucks it's going to sell and be a nice boat. I don't plan on racing anything where I live, no racers anywhere near by. This boat would just be a fun time at the beech with my wife and I in-between relaxing in the sun drinking some beers.........Thats it.

But, just like the SV27, if people wanna race them, then you could always get a class going. 3+ boats is all it's going to take...... I don't think anyone looks at this boat and assumes it's going to run with rigs that are built with 800-1000+ dollars worth of RC electronics.

IMO.

:iagree:
I would love to see 6+ of these racing at once, all stock, and the best drive wins not who has the most money in their boat :beerchug:

Grimracer
05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
ABS Fact....

Hot Sun
Tweaked boat stand
Cold water

It just don’t run like it use to? :confused1:

One has to be very careful how they handle an ABS boat. Ask me how I know.........

Grim

FE_Chris
05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
ABS Fact....

Hot Sun
Tweaked boat stand
Cold water

It just don’t run like it use to? :confused1:

One has to be very careful how they handle an ABS boat. Ask me how I know.........

Grim

How hot does YOUR sun get? WOW! LOL :tongue_smilie:

I'm not saying that ABS is better than fiberglass, we all know that the opposite is true for the most part or the whole part depending on how you look at it. But I have never had any "tweaked out" issues with a ABS boat on a hot day. At the same time I am sure you have had many more ABS boats than I have.

I guess my bottom line is, for what this thing is worth, it should be an excellent deal for people such as myself or for clubs looking to create a fun run class, or a RTR class. When I was in Michigan I loved to race and should have done more of it. But where I am at right now I don't really have that option so it's not a concern of mine.

If the price stays 400 bucks and Aquacraft does not offer something comparable in price, performance and quality i'm buying one.

Just my .02 :beerchug:

ray schrauwen
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I guess my bottom line is, for what this thing is worth, it should be an excellent deal for people such as myself or for clubs looking to create a fun run class, or a RTR class. When I was in Michigan I loved to race and should have done more of it.

Dejavu' remeber the SV27, Where did that class go????

Hydromaniac
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM

:iagree::iagree:

FE_Chris
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Last I knew people still raced them. For the money, speed and fun of it all who wouldn't want to race a SV27? Nice boat for the coin.....

Let's see here. Traxxas boat has 7-cell packs, 2.4Ghz radio and is supposed to run 400 bucks. Add a PS and a charger and your at 550 TOPS. Thats little more than the price of a SV27 with batts, charger, ps, ect......

All i'm saying is people try to dog on stuff like this for "abs hull" and "not fitting into a race class" when in all reality 99.9% of the people buying these from towerhobbies.com and LHS's like HT USA are not going to "race" but just run them for fun.

Again, 36", brushless, 2.4Ghz radio, 30MPH out of the box and 50MPH with Lipos.....Sold.

Traxxas knows how to sell RC. I have no doubt this boat is going to make them some money.

But hey, no on has one yet so we'll see how they work out when they get here. I won't be able to get one till November anyway. I'm deployed somwhere in the middle east right now and all I have is sand, sand, and more sand.

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
This certainly won't be good for the sales of the sv27 huh?

ray schrauwen
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
If you wait 6 months to a year I bet you can get one at a steal.

Eodman
05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Hell it doesn't have a name yet -- not a sniff on their website yet and you want to believe it will be available this summer!

Eodman
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Although I certainly do like the looks of this boat --- Traxxas Villian is what got my son & I into this hobby/sport!

And the Villian is ABS & still a fun boat to beat the hell out of!

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
i bet it will be. I dont think it will be on the site till its for sale. Its better to have a boat with no name then a name with no boat. The guy in the vid said late june. You better believe i'll be getting one. Theyll prob even have different color schemes. I also bet it will be out before the illusive aq cat.

Eodman
05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey Rumdog that's a bet I am NOT willing to take!

I like it enough to add it to my fleet and it ain't a cat!

line6
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Any new boat that sparks a interest to FE for a new guy cant be all that bad of an thing. even if there is no real class for it (IE cant be competitive in Q or above) at least it might get him out to be part of a club then hopefully he will build something like a P-limited boat or whatever. just my 2cents

Jason Sims

Grimracer
05-11-2010, 03:57 PM
true enought.. the SV had it day in the sun....

that boat is now 4 years old.. not bad for an old fart!

Grim

Steven Vaccaro
05-11-2010, 04:29 PM
true enought.. the SV had it day in the sun....

that boat is now 4 years old.. not bad for an old fart!

Grim

Something tells me you wouldn't be talking like that unless there is something else in the pipeline.

Doby
05-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Don't you remeber, its been "discontinued"............:olleyes::olleyes:

T.S.Davis
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
This thread grew faster than I could read.

I have my very own vac forming machine. Stop it with the "it's just as good as glass". It's simply not. Stuff one at 50 when it's cold out and let us know how it goes. Been there done that. That's not a criticism of this particular boat but more of ABS itself. There's a reason ProBoat and Aquacraft use glass.

I'm totally okay with them calling it "ready to race". It is. It's ready to race against other 36" Traxxas RTR's just like it. Al Waters used to to say the first race happened when the second guy showed up with a boat. Of course, he also said the first rule was made by the guy that lost. haha

If a group of guys pick them up to race each other what's wrong with that? Nothing as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the public will be misled. The average on street guy doesn't even know NAMBA and IMPBA exist. Let alone that their sweet looking new boat can't compete in Q mono. They don't care about that. Let us nuts that are willing to spend thousands on one worry about Q mono class.

For me, I'd have to see one up close before I would commit to putting 6s in one. Running ABS at 50 I'm not real comfortable with. Could be it's thicker than normal. The old FDM 32 hulls held together better than any plastic boats and they were .06 ABS if I remember correctly. We beat the crap out of those things.

alvinsmith75
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Something tells me you wouldn't be talking like that unless there is something else in the pipeline.

Yeah, not to thro Aquacraft into the mix in the Traxxas mono thread, BUT what's the word on the cat?
You can put the reply in the AC cat thread if u like.

Grimracer
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
will do..

give me a sec

Follow me over...

alvinsmith75
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
You got it, thanks. :buttrock:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
If you wait 6 months to a year I bet you can get one at a steal.

And THAT my friend, is a major reason products like these benefit us SO much.. Imagine how many spoiled kids and dads that'll end up with these.. They'll be littering flea markets within 2 years of their release. you'll be able to get 'em at Pep Boys like other Traxxas vehicles..

bigcam406
05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
nice......:sarcasm1:

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
will do..

give me a sec

Follow me over...

Grim, is the new one still 27" or ?? :spy:

tiqueman
05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Looks really really nice. Sparks my interest to get back into Vs for a while. Im gettin Catted out.

detox
05-11-2010, 10:00 PM
A faster and more stable hydro would spark my interest. I do not like monos that well.

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I like V's cuz to me they feel like I can bash them out on the water.. :w00t:
my UL-1 and MM I cannot drive like that..
but I do like em

tiqueman
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I like V's cuz to me they feel like I can bash them out on the water.. :w00t:
my UL-1 and MM I cannot drive like that..
but I do like em

I agree, and I love my Cats, but Monos, as you said, can take a bashing and like to stay wet side down a little more.

Brushless55
05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
That's why no matter if I run my MM or my UL-1, I will always take a SV27 with me
I just need to get my T29 back in the water, I snapped the shaft last fall

tiqueman
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
:rofl: Now I wish I woulda said it in my previous post...

.. Except for my SV, which probably is upside down as much as my BJ26... if not more.... :lol:

Aww, but I love my SV.

chummer
05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Hell it doesn't have a name yet -- not a sniff on their website yet and you want to believe it will be available this summer!

I have to agree that Traxxas has been know to delay their release dates but look how fast the 4X4 Slash hit the shelves after they released the video on their site.

I wonder how many people are going to end up with one of these in their collection after saying they never would:Shame_on_You:

bigcam406
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
im a nitro and gas boat fan,but im thinking of grabbing one:thumbup1:

2fast
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7X83Rm5sU

in the video description it says it comes with a vxl esc.

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
in the video description it says it comes with a vxl esc.

Its a new system, the VXL they have now will only run upto 3s :beerchug:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
That boat is gonna sell.
Did you hear how thrilled the crowd was?

At least 3 of those goofballs will shell out for it..

2fast
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
oh ya, sweet hopefully it will be possible to put in the summits and revos so it will be possible to have a "factory" water proof 1/8 esc :smile:

Brushless55
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
oh ya, sweet hopefully it will be possible to put in the summits and revos so it will be possible to have a "factory" water proof 1/8 esc :smile:

Oh man! sweet idea :rockon2:

RadicalRay
05-14-2010, 02:48 AM

I think

Its going to the best selling RTR
Its going to make its own class like the Slash did

And I own a SV27 and UL-1

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 07:17 AM
I think

Its going to the best selling RTR

And I own a SV27 and UL-1

The Slash was a truck that was different and innovative. So innovative all the other companies made similar trucks to try to keep up. I dont see the Traxxas brushless boat doing a similar thing.

T.S.Davis
05-14-2010, 08:15 AM

Man I hope not. It's cool looking ride and good for the hobby but I really don't want to deal with yet another spec class. If you count scale and Crackerbox there are already 6 of them in the works. Plus, when I jump to 6s I want upper 60's. That's just me.

A waterproof 6s speedo on the cheap. I do like that idea.

Doby
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
This boat does fit in the one main class...

Run what you brung...................quite often the most fun of all the classes.

Steven Vaccaro
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
This boat does fit in the one main class...

Run what you brung...................quite often the most fun of all the classes.

I agree. I also think that rc boating has gained much popularity in the USA. But still racing is a small group. All these boats are being sold to people that just want to have a good time in the back yard or on vacation. Just blowing some time. Sort of how I view rc trucks. i have a bunch now, but have no thoughts of ever racing.

calcagno45
05-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree. I also think that rc boating has gained much popularity in the USA. But still racing is a small group.

I have to agree here. I started in boating to have fun and build boats. Then I realized there was no place to race them and running them was an ordeal in itself. The closest club to me was almost all gas and they have 2 races a year at best. It was fun to run them, for 5-7 minutes on most setups.

I got back into truck since there is a track 20 minutes away and we race every Wednesday night and every other weekend. The longer runtimes and less amp draw in a land vehicle is nice as well.

Its good to see Traxxas making advances into the boating world since the popularity is growing. This will be a great backyard boater or spec class if it comes to that. Either way, Traxxas will sell these boats!

forescott
05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
OK, I got some inside info on the traxxas mono from D&J hobby in Cambell Ca. The young man who did the interview told me personally that the motor is a 380-sized Xtra long:confused2:, and is a castle built motor that is gonna have traxxas labels.(he didnt know the kv) He told me the hull was fiberglass and the hatch was abs. Also the interior was setup for 2-packs on either side of the motor. Hardware was all anodized alluminum. They are taking pre-orders now and are supposed to be the first to receive the boat when it hits production. :thumbup: My only question is...Why a 380???

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
OK, I got some inside info on the traxxas mono from D&J hobby in Cambell Ca. The young man who did the interview told me personally that the motor is a 380-sized Xtra long:confused2:, and is a castle built motor that is gonna have traxxas labels.(he didnt know the kv) He told me the hull was fiberglass and the hatch was abs. Also the interior was setup for 2-packs on either side of the motor. Hardware was all anodized alluminum. They are taking pre-orders now and are supposed to be the first to receive the boat when it hits production. :thumbup: My only question is...Why a 380???

A 380? :w00t:

forescott
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
If it is a castle motor, I'm sure it can handle the size of the hull, but it seems like they are really pushing the limits of a 380 can with 6s in a 36-inch hull. Even with a high quality motor like a castle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Brushless55
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
that's what I think, but why not give some headroom?

JMSCARD
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
If it is a castle motor, I'm sure it can handle the size of the hull, but it seems like they are really pushing the limits of a 380 can with 6s in a 36-inch hull. Even with a high quality motor like a castle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Probably TWO 380's with a gear drive.... as one 380L, no matter who makes it wont push a 36" hull at "real" speed.... and survive.....

NativePaul
05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
who said anyhing about surviving?

alvinsmith75
05-14-2010, 05:30 PM

That is funny. I spoke with Joe Ford from Castle yesterday and he said Castle had nothing to do with Traxxas' new boat.
Oh and Raydee, he said he has an announcement soon on the Hydra Ice!

ray schrauwen
05-14-2010, 05:35 PM
who said anyhing about surviving?

:rofl:

Exactly....

Can't wait to see the first video...

They aren't going to gear drive 2 brushless motors. It would be allot cheaper to manufacture and sell a single drive unit.

You can push a 36" boat with a 380, only so fast though... 25mph like the stock Thunder Tiger 39" OBL mono. It has only a water cooled 1500KV outrunner that TT tells you to only run 3 to 4S on the motor.... or so Mrs.Darla quoted them to me. Even though the specs say 5S use Prather 215 prop, the Customer service she spoke to said not to push the motor that hard.

Whats up with that???

Doby
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Perhaps he was confused when he told you this:eek:

Rumdog
05-14-2010, 06:25 PM
gotta love the speculation. The video clearly says abs hull. with the motor, who knows. I'm excited to see it, that's all I know!

calcagno45
05-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Yep, all speculation until some hard facts are shown...

forescott
05-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Perhaps he was confused when he told you this:eek:

Perhaps, He seems pretty knowledgeable about brushless electric, but didnt seem like a fe-boat guy. He said the motor was blank with no markings. Its gotta be a 540xl of some sort. 380 just doesnt make sense. I'm not sure who to believe!