PDA

View Full Version : The great connector debate

Basstronics
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
If this is a rehash of another thread I am sorry!

When I started into FE I was told to use Deans Ultra.

Now after a little break Im back. I ordered some batts and they came with a yellow plug that was awfully tough looking- XT60. Then I seen something called an EC3.

So is the Ultra Deans still the way to go?

What can the XT60 do? I like the construction of it!

m4a1usr
05-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Deans and the other polarized style connectors are good for low amp setups. You will most likely end up going to a certain size bullet and stay with that on your batts/motors/speedos.

The 5.5mm as well as 6mm seem to be the most popular. Some of us are using 8mm bullets in our 150 amp plus setups. The bigger the connector, the more load it can carry without failing or getting hot.

John

Raydee
05-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Depends on your amp draw, deans are fine for up to 70 amps. After that they only cause your wires to get hot. There was a great post in the heli forums comparing connectors and Wires and in EVERY case thicker wire was more important than connectors. I still would use at least 5.5mm bullets in any boat that is pulling more than 70 amps. In my 6s hulls I have switched over to 8mm bullets only because the wires on the ESC are 8 gauge and 5.5mm bullets just dont fit on the wire.

LiPo Power
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Wathever you do go for 5.5 or larger......
Why not?????
This will only help to keep temps down no matter what.....
Robert

Basstronics
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
My current motor is rated at 53 amps max.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have a slightly larger motor to install, but I dont think it will be to much more amp draw.

I dont intend on running anything bigger than a 540s.

Thanks for the input. Its nice to hear what people are using for the connections.

bigwaveohs
05-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I've been using e-Flite EC5's that are polarized enclosed bullets with great success. Good for 120A and 10gauge wire. Plus they are a lot easier to solder than Deans...

tiqueman
05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I love my 5.5s and will never look back at my old Deans.

Doby
05-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Deans are quickly going the way of all other connectors before them.......dinosaurs.

Go 5.5mm and you won't be dissapointed.

MLJones8
05-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I've never used the deans, as I'm new to FE... I use the 5.5mm bullet connectors and my lipos have never once even been warm, nor have the wires. The ESC and motor on the other hand do get warm.

Thus, I would believe the other forum members, that if your plugs are getting hot, its time to switch to at least 5.5's.

I have stock esc/motor for sv27, so I think I'm around a 60amp draw (this may or may not be correct).

Basstronics
05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Just to clarify,

You guys are using the individual connectors like these?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9763&Product_Name=Polymax_5.5mm_Gold_Connectors_%2810_p airs/set%29

And just heat shrink over them?

And just to note, I dont recall my wires or connectors getting hot. At least not to any dangerous levels.

lectriglide
05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Those are the ones. I prefer these - they are better quality, but on backorder. Seems their business is increasing tremendously, as I notice lots more items on backorder, and when they do get stock, they run out quickly (especially 5000 mah lipo's).

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2087

Eodman
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Be careful when using offshore connectors -- seems to me that I read on here sometime ago that on some of them the metal isn't up to snuff! As a result you end up with the genie coming out!

I may be wrong but I think I read it! Although at my age and the things I did back in the 70's may have affected my memory! Can we say - My memory went up in smoke?

Stevens 5.5mm connectors are topnotch!

Basstronics
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
After giving it some consideration I have decided to personally move to the XT60 connections.

They are bullet type connections.

My fear of bullets alone is connecting them wrong. Getting in a hurry/not being careful and the wrong poles connecting on accident.

With the XT60 connections none of this is possible.

Plus all my amp draws are 60 or below.

So far Im loving it. They solder up WAY easier than the deans ultra. Unlike bullets alone I have a way to hold them. I can now solder them neatly, without melting/moving the poles. Most importantly without burning my fingers!

hide
05-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I use Deans in all my cars simply because they are the smallest. But I ran 8mm bullets in my boat. Bullets are far easier to solder for thicker wires.

FastVee
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I use mostly Castle´s 6.5mm bullets. They are great! I could try the HK8mm later, when I run out of the castles.(too expensive for me)

I did use 5.5´s last season, but they sometimes melted the shrink tubing.
(could be poor quality batch, or bad shrink tubing)

Deans on smaller stuff.

forescott
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I think these are the best thing since sliced bread! EC-5 connector. 5mm bullets in a dummy-proof plastic connector. Easy to solder. No shrink tube required. Rated at over 120 amps. They're super cool!! :cool2: