PDA

View Full Version : Need A Laptop?

Team A-Hull
09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I can't wait to get my parts in for my next build! :w00t: Curently I feel like i'm stuck in the funny topic section! lol!
Does anyone have a specific brand of laptop computers they would recomend? Going to purchase one this weekend. So far i'm leaning towards sony, toshiba, and HP and possibly IBM. I'll pass on gateway this time from all the problems I had with the last one. I would like to spend under $1200

SJFE
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I run an HP ZD80000 series. 2.8 dual core P4 with 2 megs onboard, 2 gigs of ram radion graphics and a wide screen gloss monitor. Machine has run flawless since day one. My only complaint if that is power consuption. The M processors use less power @ lower temps. You can find 8000 & 9000 thousand series on ebay from 5 to 8 hundred bux...I never buy new computers..it's just as big of a waist as buying new cars.

ED66677
09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
ASUStek are my prefered, cheaper than any equivalent
IBM thinkpad use to be the best, and the most expensive as well, titanium case, shock absorber on hard drive...
I've had 50% of the old Tosh we used to use, failling or crashing, but lastet model seems much better
My company uses DELL's Latitude wordwide, D610 (absolutely not powerfull) mainly, and D620 now, 620 are correct under Win XP Pro with SP2
Do you plan to run XP or Vista?
DELL will allow you to choose XP or Vista, some other don't

Team A-Hull
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
That’s a serious computer you got there SJFE!
I think HP has put out a better computer the last year or so from what I have heard. Yea I understand the waste factor especially when you spend $1100 for a computer and it's trash after a year or because it's out of date in 4 to 6 months.
Used computers and you have not had any problems? Are they slightly used or Refurbished?

I think I have a solution for your battery problem! Find a good esc and plug into your computer. Now the plugs may not fit but you have to work them in or jam them in any slot that’s close to the size of the wire. The ESC will help your monitor from flickering with a steady flow of power and you will get a faster DSL connection also with a good ESC. Then find a nice pack of Lipos and wire them up! With a good set of lipos you will be able to retrieve information faster also. Make sure and wire you Lipos parallel this is really important!

HP has been moving up on the list form what I have heard lately and I'll take a look at some of the computers you mentioned.

Thanks SJFE!

SJFE
09-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I should have mentond that. The ZD was great. I bought a gateway solo 3 years ago and rebuilt it 3 times. Next was the sony viao...flawless for 2 years...The a dell d600 for the Mrs. Hard drive afte 3 months. It's a crapshoot really read feedback buy warentees.....cover ur @ss..:)

mike a.
09-28-2007, 09:30 PM
If you are going to buy a used computer than id buy the IBM Thinkpad. I have a hp and its been really a great computer and not to bad on power cause its the 15.4in screen. My brother has a 17in screen and its a major powerhog and has like 4 fans on it. The only problem that he has had is a hardrive failed but was still under warranty. My sister also has the hp 17 in screen and its also a really nice computer with no problems, just a power hog. If looking for a computer that has a battery that lasts a long time than get the 15.4in(i get like 2 and a half hours), if u dont care about battery life than get the 17 in screen( my brother and sister both get like 1 hr to an hour and a half). If buying an hp than id get a new one because the price has dropped so much on them. My sister just bought hers at bestbuy for like near $500. It has an AMD turion dual core proceesor, 160 GB harddrive, and 1 GB of ram, also she got lightscribe which is really cool.

Team A-Hull
09-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I think you right it is a crapshoot when buying a computer. Staples and Bestbuy have a great warranty for 2 to 3 years that covers everything. One battery replacement and will replace if damaged by me our faulty equipment. I think I just go with a good waranty this time.

I'll probally end up with vista, but I heard there is alot going on with that software and a bigger proccesor is needed compared to XP.

Thanks guys for the help!

Piranha2
09-29-2007, 07:52 AM
DO NOT get the Sony VAIO !!!!! The nearest repair center was in Cali, I'm in Mass.....out of box failure that best-buy wouldn't warranty, had to send it to Sony after 5-6 hrs of talking to someone in India, all for a bad sound card, if you don't know Sony, that means whole mobo !!!!! After 2 weeks they send it back with a new DVD-RW drive.....well, thanks, that actually worked before........still only mono sound......so they send me new speakers......twice.......then a new side panel.......then a new box to send it back to Cali........so, you get my point.

Team A-Hull
09-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Liks SJFE mentioned I think it is a crapshoot! So, I think a good warranty is the best bet. I know one thing is for sure in a year i'm buying a desktop and it will be an apple! Love apple computers! It's just there Laptops for a decent computer run around $2000. Apples Laptops around $1400 have alot of problems with there hard drive from what I have heard.

Maybe I should get Sony and be close to the parts house I live in California. lol!

I hate having to send it back to the manufacture for repairs.

mike a.
09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
If buying a computer from best buy make sure that u get the 3 year warranty. Dont get the 1 year because thats where bestbuy makes all of there money, if u have a problem within one year then they will tell u to take it back to the manufacture because they already give u a 1 year warranty.

Team A-Hull
10-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Ended up getting a nice HP with everything and more then I needed with a 3 year warranty. Well off to Maui and Kaui, everyone have a good one and thanks for the info!