PDA

View Full Version : Hk4035 turnigy monster toasted:(

JMSCARD
05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
So I just got back from the lake and I had another bad day... Was running my 44" aeromarine team America 44" cat with a scorpion hk4035/800 and a new turnigy monster 2000.... Ran one set of batts through the boat in 10s1p format 30c batts 5300mah on a x455 prop.... Motor came in at 155 degrees and batts were 135, and esc was 125.... Went out 20 minutes later after cool down and ran 10s2p 7400 mah 20c batts and got 2 minutes into the run and she shutdown... Opened the hatch to see the point where the motor wires were soldered to the esc came unsoldered and looks as though it all happened because the scorpion outrunners motor wires had shorted out... Checked temps and motor was 182 esc was 140, batts were 95, even though they say the scorpions can "take the heat" looks like the motor wires themselves can't:( they shorted together in a spot real close to the can....looking at the esc looks like a "fet" cracked? Don't know if the esc is repairable or the motor is? Motor still has normal cogging but sounds like a slight rubbing noise in one spot..... What if anything should I do? I will post pics tommorrow when I get to work.... Makes me upset that the motor wires shorted.... Boat was running very well too.... Obviously though it was a little to hot of a setup....

RIPFENCE
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
wow man you have had some bad luck lately hope things turn around during this new england boating season

NativePaul
05-02-2010, 10:50 PM
The motor will be repairable, when you take the endbell off an outrunner thet look like brushed motors only without the brushes, and are just as easily rewound.

Mel279
05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I also have the same problem with my scorpion motor, I toast it and I send it back to the manufacturer, and I was offered 50% off of their motor since my motor is expensive to be repaired. I would think this motor is not suitable for inboard setup, and your esc is fine and don't bother to run that motor again, if not u surely toast it.

JMSCARD
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I also have the same problem with my scorpion motor, I toast it and I send it back to the manufacturer, and I was offered 50% off of their motor since my motor is expensive to be repaired. I would think this motor is not suitable for inboard setup, and your esc is fine and don't bother to run that motor again, if not u surely toast it.

Still think the esc is fine mel? notice the esc fet looks cracked.... does anyone fix these ?

What do the rest of you think I was pulling for amps on 10s with a x455 octura on this 800kv outrunner?? Should I talk to scorpion on this one?

Mel279
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Still think the esc is fine mel? notice the esc fet looks cracked.... does anyone fix these ?

What do the rest of you think I was pulling for amps on 10s with a x455 octura on this 800kv outrunner?? Should I talk to scorpion on this one?

So sorry, I thought your esc survive:doh:, but anyway u can send it back to the manufacturer since scorpion motor has 2 year warranty provided that u attach the original receipt of purchase.

JMSCARD
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
So sorry, I thought your esc survive:doh:, but anyway u can send it back to the manufacturer since scorpion motor has 2 year warranty provided that u attach the original receipt of purchase.

Send what back to the manufacturer? the esc or the motor? I take it scoropion won't do anything about their motor taking out my esc?

JMSCARD
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
"The stators are epoxy coated to prevent shorts, and are wound with wire that is rated at 180 degrees C (356 F). The magnets used in Scorpion Motors are N-50EH style, which are rated for operation at 200 degrees C (392 F), making a motor that is virtually impossible to burn up in normal use."

This is off of Scorpions website.... not impressed.

Dragonturbo3
05-03-2010, 11:19 AM

If you can get the damaged FET off and find the part number (on one of the good FET's) you can order them. I did this on a Traxxas EVX Marine. It was a pain but it did work.

JMSCARD
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
If the esc is repairable does anyone know of someone who does such a thing... I have a hard enough time soldering bullets never the less fets?

Mel279
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Send what back to the manufacturer? the esc or the motor? I take it scoropion won't do anything about their motor taking out my esc?

Just the motor, they'll replace it even it bust up, just like I said before if u still have the receipt, or if u don't have it, they offer you 50% off the retail price.

Mel279
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
If you can get the damaged FET off and find the part number (on one of the good FET's) you can order them. I did this on a Traxxas EVX Marine. It was a pain but it did work.

Do u know any website that sell FET online?

K.R.Joye
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
That a bummer Jim, I would definately take advantage of the warranties on both items. Let us know how the Monster warrantee experience works out. BTW was it coated for water-resistance?

Sound like you were doing everything right.

JMSCARD
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
No it wasn't coated..... :) good thing as it would probably void the warranty.... This was in your old hull mr joyle:) she stays dry too.... Was running great when it all happened.... What a nice handling cat with those linked trim tabs.... And the scorpion was working great getting th hull motivated... I would say on the 10s2p setup I was seeing mid to high 50's...

ozzie-crawl
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
had the same thing with a scorpion motor,it took out my esc as well, motor was replaced under warranty.

JMSCARD
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
had the same thing with a scorpion motor,it took out my esc as well, motor was replaced under warranty.

Was it a defect in the motor? Did your wires short like mine and did you have better luck with the replacement? I'm real hesitant to try another one as the esc was more expensive then the motor:(

ozzie-crawl
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
mine looked like it shorted out just inside the motor, i brought it from a aus distributor and they replaced it under warranty, they said they couldn't tell what happened as it was so burnt inside :eek: they hinted that i may have let the wires short out, but i know it shorted internally, the replacement motor now is used on my tunnel hull and i have not had any trouble with it at all.
on the first motor it was in a cat so the motor was stationary, on the tunnel hull the motor moves with the lower unit so the wires are constantly moving.
one thing i noticed was the replacement motor had a piece of heat shrink over the wires were they enter the motor,the original motor did not have this

Fluid
05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I put an extra piece of heat shrink tube on my HK4025 - just in case.

http://i43.tinypic.com/spvrsh.jpg

Mel279
05-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I put an extra piece of heat shrink tube on my HK4025 - just in case.

http://i43.tinypic.com/spvrsh.jpg

How efficient using cooling fan?

Fluid
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
The fan was there for another 6S motor setup, but it works great with the Scorpion too since the hull has a large volume of air. After 3 minutes at near 50 mph the motor was 100F, cells 125F, ESC 130F.

Xfactor
05-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Dont throw it away it can definately be repaired

Xfactor
05-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I can even take a look at it for you.

JMSCARD
05-08-2010, 09:20 AM
take a look at what the esc or motor? Scorpion will at the very least give me 50% off a new one... maybe the best route on the motor... are you saying the esc maybe repairable? It looks as though the esc would be repairable under the right hands