PDA

View Full Version : 1/10 Scale Ted Jones hydro

woody5
05-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I am making plans to build the 1/10 sized classic shovel style Ted Jones hydroplane from the free down load plans provided by Astec Marine and Gary Findley of Great Brittan. I am shopping for running hardware and power. I would like to use my airplane lipo battery collection: 11.2 v 2200 and 7v 2000mah. This will be a light weight 36" long balsa/exotic wood venere/epoxy contruction. My last projects, also a plans from Findley: Baby Bootlegger and Miss Britan turned out nice so now I'm looking for something faster to add to the collection to document the history of fast boats. Miss Brittan tends to randomly submarine, I understand it was an unstable design at high speeds. So I don't use it very much. Will the Ted Jones be less likely to submarine?
I live on a small brakish pond where we see alot of wild life like: jumping mullet, ducks, gators, anhingas, water snakes so I use my boats but they need to be durable and fun but not extreame. Swiming rescues are not something I want to have to do here! I'm wondering if the 700 brushed combo with a straight shaft will provide any excitement or if I need to go for the wire drive and the brushless power. I see that Granpinger sells a speed 700 wire drive with a steerable outdrive and rudder would this non scale option provide good performance compaired to the homemade straight drive?

JimClark
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Brushless all the way but your batteries are not going to be high enough capacity unless you run them in parallel. If you wasn't o run in series you will need a 4s 5000map pack. These boats running a fairly conservative setup can easily reach 45mph

woody5
05-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I was planning to run two sets of batterys. What kind of speed could I see with a speed 700 set up and two sets of lipos like 7.2 v 2200 mha? How about the straight drive verses the wire drive with horizontal vector out put? The speed 700 is rated at 16v max so 14.4v would be good? correct?

JimClark
05-02-2010, 10:03 PM
probably closer to 35 maybe 40

JimClark
05-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Straight vs wire drive I know a lot like wire drives and I have used them myself but a straight drive works well also. Wire drive is a little more convenient to set up