PDA

View Full Version : Question - Charging Time

knpc
05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I have a Hyperion 606i ac/dc charger. The problem is it takes a long time to charge my packs after a day of running. I have 6-4s 5000 packs and 4-6s 5000 packs. The 4s take 1hr+ each and the 6s take 2hrs. Thats 14 HOURS of charging after an hour or two of running.

My question is how much faster could I re-charge if I upgrade my charger?
I could get a Hyperion Duo for $250 plus a power supply = $350
Or I could get another 606i ac/dc = $110

Darin Jordan
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I like the Hyperion Duo... I have two of them.

Also... check out the charge rating on those packs... it may be that they are quality cells that can be charged at 2C rather than 1C... Look into it.

egneg
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I have the Duo now and the difference is like night and day. I can charge a pair of 4S packs in 20 minutes.

Darin Jordan
05-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I have the Duo now and the difference is like night and day. I can charge a pair of 4S packs in 20 minutes.

To add to what egneg said... I also have a 1210i, and it seems to take FOREVER to charge that last 5% or so of the cells, even new ones. I'm guessing the software of the newer Duo is better suited for today's cells. The built-in balancers is very nice as well.

knpc
05-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I figured the Dou would be the answer to my problem, just wanted to make sure it was going to ruduce my charging time enough to make it worth it.

What power supply would I need to run the Duo? any links would be great. I've only had AC chargers so I know nothing about them.

Thanks
Kevin

Raydee
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
The DUO is a 360 watt charger and the charger you have now is 60watts I think, quite a difference. If you want to use the DUO to its full potential a 40-50amp power supply is needed. I have two DUO 3 chargers now and will have the Super DUO when they are ready to ship.

BHChieftain
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I figured the Dou would be the answer to my problem, just wanted to make sure it was going to ruduce my charging time enough to make it worth it.

What power supply would I need to run the Duo? any links would be great. I've only had AC chargers so I know nothing about them.

Thanks
Kevin

I'm using a P350 AC power supply, DC output is 15v at 23A which gives you just under 350watts. You should try to get above 300W, as charging say two 4S packs at the same time will pull a lot of power, and if the wattage isn't high enough the output amps coming out of the charger will start to come down which will increase your charging time.

But the min power supply that works with the hyperion duo is 12V at 10A.

http://progressiverc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=38&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

-Chief

egneg
05-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a 550W PSU that I converted and it puts out 30 amps at 12 volts. Here is a link to a very good "how to". The 550 Watts is a total for all the voltages that the PSU supplies - you only need to be concerned with the 12 volt output.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm