PDA

View Full Version : XS-Cat, build notes

Rex R
09-27-2007, 03:14 AM
can't offer any notes on running it yet...but, I can offer some suggestions if you wish to build one with bl & lipo power.
1) make the 'motor compartment at least .25" taller than the plans show(I'm thinking .375" might work better :)).
2) you'll want to mount the motor as low as possible to provide clearence for the hatch(I put a notch in the floor of the motor tub)
2a)also mount the motor with the wires down, and if you use an ose water jacket...put the in/out tubes to one side unless you feel like carving a bulge in the hatch.
it is poss to fit an L size motor in it but its a tight fit.

Rex R
09-27-2007, 07:27 PM
spent some time adding a 'spray pick-up' today. it did take awhile to figure out how to attach it to the strut :) bent the brass using a piece of 1"pvc.

C.Smock
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
looks good!!! i can never bend brass and make it look good the first time...

Rex R
09-28-2007, 01:23 AM
heheh got a fellow local who says the same thing :). for me, once I got the hang of it, its fairly easy. I did however bend a couple of samples 1st just to see what size pipe I needed( depends on what your strut depth is. if you're careful you can bend 1/8" brass around 3/4" pvc(w/o filling the tube with salt or annealing :)))

Rex R
09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
did the 'maiden' today :biggrin: whee that was fun! started with a 430 as a 'safe prop' to let the driveline wear in, 5/8 of a mile and the motor was at 89F. figured that maybe a 432 would warm it up a tad...it did 1 degree to 90F. then tried a 435/3 on it and blew it over twice in turn 4 so don't know what temps were for runs 3&4. I amend my earlier comment make the 'tub' 3/8" deeper than stock, 1/4" makes it a tight squeek with lipos. it is also a 'pita' to tape the hatch. speed was nice though guestimate 35-40 with things staying cool. with the octura offset rudder and long bracket I had the steering dialed down to 66% and was able to run the offshore offset course w/o probs(aside from blowing over).

SJFE
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Nice Rex. Can we get a picture of the boat?

Rex R
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
well there are a couple of pics here http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=1318
it occurred to me that mayhap I should be a mite bit more polite about just how I do pics of it(for posting here) in the future since it is a floating ad for a potential competitor(sry bout that steven next pics will have some bits pixelized). wish I had some pics from today but couldn't find a camera person.