PDA

View Full Version : Home project help required......

Steven Vaccaro
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Ok, I have a new shower stall that the installer did a lousy job installing. There was a soft spot under the fiberglass floor that cracked. I'm not ready to rip out the entire stall for a new one, so i'm looking for a cheap fix until I'm ready.

My thoughts are to somehow first fill the void. Thinking to drill a couple of holes and force some epoxy or some other material that will expand and take up the void. So I'm looking for ideas on what to use? One time I was at the hardware store and found a glue that would harden when water was present, but can't find it now.

knpc
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
That's a difficult fix if the subfloor under the shower is no good. Most fiberglass showers should be set in a bed of mortor because the bottom is not very firm on its own.

I did run into a similar situation where the floor of the existing shower was bouncy but the homeowners didn't want to take it out and re-do it. I was able to access it from below because we were remodeling the first floor and the shower was on the second floor. I drilled a few holes up and sprayed in great stuff minimal exp. foam. It took all the bounce out of it and felt solid as a rock and is still good 5yrs later.

I you don't have access to the bottom, you could cut an access hole in one of the walls that backs the shower and do it from there. Then just put the piece back and patch it with joint compound.

This may or may not work if the subfloor is no good, you still need a solid enough base to fill the void against.

If the shower floor is cracked there are some great marine epoxys that would work. Go to west marine, there are a few of the around MA, one in braintree and one in norwood that I know of.

You can PM me and I'll give you my number if you want to talk about it.

Kevin

Steven Vaccaro
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
That's a difficult fix if the subfloor under the shower is no good. Most fiberglass showers should be set in a bed of mortor because the bottom is not very firm on its own.

I did run into a similar situation where the floor of the existing shower was bouncy but the homeowners didn't want to take it out and re-do it. I was able to access it from below because we were remodeling the first floor and the shower was on the second floor. I drilled a few holes up and sprayed in great stuff minimal exp. foam. It took all the bounce out of it and felt solid as a rock and is still good 5yrs later.

I you don't have access to the bottom, you could cut an access hole in one of the walls that backs the shower and do it from there. Then just put the piece back and patch it with joint compound.

This may or may not work if the subfloor is no good, you still need a solid enough base to fill the void against.

If the shower floor is cracked there are some great marine epoxys that would work. Go to west marine, there are a few of the around MA, one in braintree and one in norwood that I know of.

You can PM me and I'll give you my number if you want to talk about it.

Kevin

Thanks for the info. Next time your in the store we can talk about it. Its a bummer. Will you be up north this weekend?

knpc
04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I won't be up there this weekend. I was up last weekend fri-sun, its a family house so I have to wait my turn again. I usually get up there every 3-4 weeks during the summer, but I'll let you know when I'm going.
I'm sure I'll be at the store soon, I can't go too long without needing something.

JimClark
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Any chance of opening a hole in the wall on the side or the back of the shower? if you can you should be able to access the area there and put some wood under the area.
Jim