PDA

View Full Version : HELP! We need a lake in West/Central Florida!

sailr
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Our club, the West Florida Model Boat Club "Aquamaniacs" need a lake in the Tampa Bay area! Anybody know of something we can use? We are also interested in a lake in the Orlando/Kissimmee area where we could hold a couple of meets a year to join up with the Waveblasters from Port St. Lucie!

I am in Land O Lakes and believe it or not, NOBODY will let us use their lake. Frustrating!

Anyone have suggestions?

rchippie
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Our club, the West Florida Model Boat Club "Aquamaniacs" need a lake in the Tampa Bay area! Anybody know of something we can use? We are also interested in a lake in the Orlando/Kissimmee area where we could hold a couple of meets a year to join up with the Waveblasters from Port St. Lucie!

I am in Land O Lakes and believe it or not, NOBODY will let us use their lake. Frustrating!

Anyone have suggestions?

Jim archie jr said his lake is available. Im sure we would have to work out a date with the the nitro guys . I went & looked at it upon your request . It is large enough to use. I belive he said they run a 1/8 course. It's protected by trees on two sides & buildings on the other two sides. So there was some leaves on it when i checked it out. There is also some broken cinder blocks & concrete on the driver's side right at the edge of the lake. They would not be a issue when running. they would only be a issue when launching or retriving your boat . But it would be easy enough to clear a nice spot to do both. There are a couple natural springs that feed into it in a couple of spots . So there is some bubbling water . But they sat it does not effect the boats at all . There lake is right across the street from his shop in a industrial park . I would say out current lake is better. But there lake is closer

He also said something about getting a new lake over by sparks flying feild & the county dump . Which is right off 275 & rosevelt drive.

Give him a call.
4200 62nd Avenue North Pinellas Park, FL 33781-6021 - (727) 526-0394

Meniscus
04-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Jim, Did you try Park Lake Park, Orlando? It's far I know, but I remember seeing boats there when I lived in the Winter Park area many years ago.

sailr
04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pursue the Pinellas Park site and see if I can contact the Parks and Recreation people in Orlando. Do you know if that's a city park or county park?

Meniscus
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I believe it is a city park. They have a few events there such as craft shows, etc. I'd definitely push the fact that you are electric with little environmental impact. I also may push fun for kids, getting them outdoors and involved with the park. You may be able to push a fun kid day :blah: You get the idea.

Did you have any luck with the hospital retention ponds we discussed?

rchippie
04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pursue the Pinellas Park site and see if I can contact the Parks and Recreation people in Orlando. Do you know if that's a city park or county park?

Jim

I will go to the lake by archies & take some pics for you to night & post the pics here .

sailr
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Ben. I'll check it out. Regardless, it will be a long drive for all of us to go to Orlando but may be a site for a regional race! There is a hospital retention pond in the neighboring county but I think they ran one of our members off of it a couple weeks ago.

I believe it is a city park. They have a few events there such as craft shows, etc. I'd definitely push the fact that you are electric with little environmental impact. I also may push fun for kids, getting them outdoors and involved with the park. You may be able to push a fun kid day :blah: You get the idea.

Did you have any luck with the hospital retention ponds we discussed?

sailr
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Cool! Thanks Mike!

Jim

I will go to the lake by archies & take some pics for you to night & post the pics here .

rchippie
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Cool! Thanks Mike!

Jim here are your pics or the lake.

rchippie
04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Here are a couple of pics of a boat that was running while i was there.

sailr
04-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Thanks Mike. Looks promising! I need to make a trip over there one day. Maybe we could meet up over there on a Sunday and talk to the nitro guys? You, me, Jeff and anyone else interested?

rchippie
04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks Mike. Looks promising! I need to make a trip over there one day. Maybe we could meet up over there on a Sunday and talk to the nitro guys? You, me, Jeff and anyone else interested?

I have to work on sundays. I talked to archie at his shop yesterday . He said to give him a call . I listed his number a post or two back .

sailr
04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll give Archie a call. Thanks! Maybe we could get together on Saturday. Not sure. How about other days during the week?

rchippie
04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I'll give Archie a call. Thanks! Maybe we could get together on Saturday. Not sure. How about other days during the week?

I can do saturday . Be sure to talk to archie jr. Because he is the one i talked to.

tiqueman
04-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Ive been there. Nice pretty nice lake.

Theres also some lakes in the entrance to Seminole Park off Park Blvd, just off lake Seminole (but not connected to so no 1:1 boat traffic. Not sure what the poiltics are to get in there to run though.. again, probably through parks and rec. Also cant remember exactly how big they are.??? Theres also a very nice lake somewhat down and across the street from there that has a boat 1:1 restriction on it. Just some thoughts.. dont know if any will work. But the Seminole park one would be very nice. Lots of trees etc to hide from the sun.