PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber, please tell me your tips and tricks!

ace028
04-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I have laid down some fiber cloth, and while it looked ok, I wasn't happy with the results. I have seen some on this site that looks great! I have had much better luck with laying fiberglass cloth.

Is it better to use hairspray to keep the fiber from getting disturbed rather then adhesibe spray while you cut to size?

Do you use a really soft brush to apply epoxy on the fibers? I used just a acid brush and noticed it worked good, but disturbed the super tiny fibers.

I saw Randy's wright up but it was missing some pics, he used CA to glue instead of epoxy.

It would be nice if someone could do a writeup of a few different methods and sticky them. I'm applying it to wood built boat, but would like to know the different methods of appying to different material hulls. Thanks guys.

rchippie
04-25-2010, 08:39 PM
I have laid down some fiber cloth, and while it looked ok, I wasn't happy with the results. I have seen some on this site that looks great! I have had much better luck with laying fiberglass cloth.

Is it better to use hairspray to keep the fiber from getting disturbed rather then adhesibe spray while you cut to size?

Do you use a really soft brush to apply epoxy on the fibers? I used just a acid brush and noticed it worked good, but disturbed the super tiny fibers.

I saw Randy's wright up but it was missing some pics, he used CA to glue instead of epoxy.

It would be nice if someone could do a writeup of a few different methods and sticky them. I'm applying it to wood built boat, but would like to know the different methods of appying to different material hulls. Thanks guys.

Hi ACE

There is a thread on here somewere that had a really good wright about about laying CF cloth . I think it was RANDY @ BBY racing that wrote it up . Hopefully some here can link you to the thread as i dont remeber the title of the thread.

bonewar
04-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Ace,

Theres some good reading in this thread on carbon fiber glassing.

Check it out mate.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13126

Bonewar :rockon2:

graill
04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Here are a couple tricks. Take a paint brush, cheapo one work fine, and cut off 1/2 of the length, makes a nice applicator for getting epoxy into the cf fibers.

Application teqnique.

This requires some timing, just be aware. Get along cure epoxy for the cf (or regular resin, doesnt matter) and have your work surface and a seperate glass work surface large enough for the pieces your working with (giant silicone cooking mats work great. you will have to secure them though)

Mix resin or epoxy according to weight directions and "paint" surface number one neatly, but quickly. Take the mat and on the separate surface prep it, ensuring you saturate it with just enough resin or epoxy to get all fibers wet, the mat should look semi dry not pooled with resin or epoxy, if it does you have to much on it.

wait for the tack stage on both pieces, you will have a short overlap of time to work with this roughly 10 minutes. The next part is a bit messy but results are great. Apply your mat to your work and press together, similar to contact cement the two surfaces will adhere together and you can work the mat into curves, crevaces and it will stay, touch up any seam areas and apply your plastic film to ensure a smooth surface and let cure. Build up as needed and sand to your taste, polish.

Not nearly as hard as it sounds and quick once you get the hang of it, the only draw back is the work area for the mat piece. took me a few practice runs but this system works great if you dont like the hassle of vacuum bagging. :smile:

FE Wannabe
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Grail,
When you say:

and apply your plastic film to ensure a smooth surface and let cure.

What kind of plastic film are you using and where do you get it from? It sounds like a great idea, since you are also insulating the CF from the electronics. Less chance for accidental shorts.:thumbup1:

Thanks,
Brad

graill
06-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Grail,
When you say:

What kind of plastic film are you using and where do you get it from? It sounds like a great idea, since you are also insulating the CF from the electronics. Less chance for accidental shorts.:thumbup1:

Thanks,
Brad

Bagging material. But use to make the surface smooth instead of using it to vacuum bag. It comes in any size you need and from nearly all the composite companies or any fiberglass/CF that sell the building supplies, cheap stuff.

FE Wannabe
06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Bagging material. But use to make the surface smooth instead of using it to vacuum bag. It comes in any size you need and from nearly all the composite companies or any fiberglass/CF that sell the building supplies, cheap stuff.

Grail,
Thanks for the response,
By the way you do great work!

RandyatBBY
06-05-2010, 02:05 AM
I use low temp Peal Ply or for bagging perforated Peal Ply. Aero Space Composite make or sells some good stuff that makes it real shiny. I also have a layer of FG inside the CF to keep it safe from shorts.

FE Wannabe
06-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the info Randy.
Brad

befu
07-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Peal Ply
Peal ply works great. Will take some excess resin with it and it leaves the inside of the hull non-gloss so it is ready to have anything else glued to it. Gloss is not good for adhesion.

Grail, I think I got confused. You are only laying the carbon fiber in right? when you say "Mat" you are talking about a plastic piece that holds the wetted CF until it tacks, then you use it as a carrier to move the wetted CF into the hull. Am I on the right track?

Carbon FiberYou can also get normal glass that is colored to look like carbon fiber. You do not need it in a FE boat. I am constantly told you need the weight to hold them down, yet people keep putting CF in the boats???? :confused: Why not just use 2 or 3 layers of glass?

Brian

graill
07-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Peal Ply
Peal ply works great. Will take some excess resin with it and it leaves the inside of the hull non-gloss so it is ready to have anything else glued to it. Gloss is not good for adhesion.

Grail, I think I got confused. You are only laying the carbon fiber in right? when you say "Mat" you are talking about a plastic piece that holds the wetted CF until it tacks, then you use it as a carrier to move the wetted CF into the hull. Am I on the right track?

Carbon FiberYou can also get normal glass that is colored to look like carbon fiber. You do not need it in a FE boat. I am constantly told you need the weight to hold them down, yet people keep putting CF in the boats???? :confused: Why not just use 2 or 3 layers of glass?

Brian

When i refer to the mat i refer to the CF or "work". When the proper amount of resin (whatever type is applied) the mat or work can be moved around easily, wear gloves. And by moved around i mean from the prep area to whatever your applying it to.

r1dermon
07-25-2010, 10:19 AM
ive been doing HPR rocketry for years. i like sollercomposites.com. and i'd definitely go with a hybrid kevlar/glass cloth. CF sheilds radio signals...i know it's not an issue on the bottom of the hull, but then you gotta consider cost, and that CF is incredibly hard to work with. (it frays on the ends like nothing else...)

i also agree that CF is way overkill for an RC boat. the only way i could see it being necessary is if you had a deep vee or huge cat that was traveling 200+ mph. it's extremely rigid, on the flip side, it's quite brittle and will break with a good enough shock. (i've seen it happen in rockets with too much stress on 1 point).

just my .02 cents. as i say i've been working with the stuff for years, i wouldn't wish CF slivers or frayed edges on anyone. the kevlar/FG mat is a lot easier to work with, and provides ample strength. (and looks AWESOME!)

Gerwin Brommer
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Ample ?

Even more !
Carbon for strenght in the lenght of the fibres.
Kevlar for strenght on a 90 degr. angle on the fibres.

ozboater
08-25-2010, 02:27 AM
good thread here.... thanks