PDA

View Full Version : Woody styled 26in Wildthing

deestingray
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
G'day,
I am currently engaged in building a smaller version of the Wildthing and thought I would share. Being that I have a love for timber runabouts and wanted something a bit faster, I decided to give it a Woody look. I have a question though, how far do most props sit from the transom on a boat of this size. Mine is sitting about 80mm, I am thinking it might be a bit long but will try it and see how it handles. The motor is a cheapo 3200kv 540 that I got from ebay but the driveline etc all comes from offshore. It will probably run either 10 or 12 cells depending on whether the 70A aircraft esc will handle it. I would love to hear any thoughts/opinions, it will only be for sport use and a bit of fun racing at my local.....

Darin Jordan
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Man... THAT is BEAUTIFUL!!

The Wild Thing was a BULLET in N1-Mono... and that one, with the extra length, would make a PERFECT N2-Mono!

The KV of that motor, combined with 8-cells, would be a really good combo for O-Mono as well....

I'm VERY envious... That's a nice boat you have going there... Great Job!

adreher
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Boat looks great! I love that look. Great job.

FRED
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I know i'm going to get burned on this! Now i would get one of outlaw neo-x of AndrewG in Australia on 14.4 lipos and a 640 prop. Now for lenght of strut, leave it and what John Finch said if strut is to long is when the boats hops coming out of a turn. That quote , cheapo motor, will burn up on anything over 6 or 7 cells cause high rpm of 3200 will be smokin joe and you don't want that smell in a new BOAT.

deestingray
09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the comments,

I was thinking of putting a 700 motor in it however I don't think I can make one fit, it would be a squeeze at best, I am lacking on height which is why I have gone for the 540. Lipo is an option also however an expensive one at this stage, and my local won't let me run there with Lipos when they are there, against the rules or something(not their ruling BTW, more the Brisbane city council). I have an X637 that I will probably start with and work up from there on 8 cells for now. From my experience with outrunners, they seem to be able to take quite a beating as long as the esc is cooled sufficiently and if it doesn't work, i have seen good things from the Ammo motors too which is another option I am looking at. If I burn this one, I am just going to have to build another, that is half the fun isn't it?!?!?! It has only taken me 3 weeks to build the boat and hardware. Oh just in case anybody is wondering, the bulkheads are made from 3mm ply, the bottom 2mm ply and the sides and top are 3mm balsa with .5mm planking of walnut and white ramin, had to try to keep the weight down somehow.

FRED
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Ok, room is in ? Ok try a Maxx Wild on 9 cells with a S35 prop. Talk to Steve or Darin. The 637 is to big for a 540 on 10-12 cells= dead motor. Wild will go to 14.4 on voltage and on 9 cells will reach 12.6 with a S35. One ? and it is weight of boat, how much! I'm retiring from thread and you will find what you want. Take care!

deestingray
09-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I haven't weighed it yet, will do so shortly once everything is in but overall it isn't too bad. Maxx Wild sounds like the name of a *!***!***!***!**o star, I will look into those though thanks.

Doug Smock
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice work and a great looking boat sir!!:tiphat:

Doug

FLEETMASTER
10-05-2007, 06:56 AM
He he,looks like i'll NEED to build a fast mono now.
Man , my wallet and my wife are going to hate you!

deestingray
10-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Darin, your comment of "The Wild Thing was a BULLET in N1-Mono" rings pretty true with me, for being virtually a novice in FE as far as setup goes, this thing rides so nicely. I was pretty impressed by it.

I maidened my Wild thing today and was quite impressed with it, everything seems to be in order for sure. After a little bit of shifting the COG, I got it to settle down a bit but it is a bit wild(pun intended) in the straights, I still don't have strakes on it yet which will be an addition in the very near future. Today I ran an X437/3 which it really likes on the 8 cells, unfortunately I think my IB4200's are a bit sad, they hadn't been run for nearly 12 months, I just hope I can wake them up a bit as I was getting two laps max out of them. Everything was at a good temp though on return so that was a bonus.

Fleety, I strongly recommend that you build a mono of some sort, we can have a proper race then!!! :tongue_smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFT6abd6f8

FLEETMASTER
10-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Great stuff!! I trust there will be video evidence to back up your claims???

Eyekandyboats
10-07-2007, 07:01 AM
great job on it
the business end of her looks sweet. nice and clean and simple!

kck741
10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! Hey man thats got to be the best looking mono I have seen yet

deestingray
10-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words, the best thing is that it works, the looks are just a bonus. I am pretty happy with my water pickup placement too and it is pumping water no worries at all, which is keeping everything nice and cool.

adreher
10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
deestingray,

Where did you get the plans for that boat, if you don't mind me asking. I love the looks of the wood and think it would be a great build. Thanks,

deestingray
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
adreher,

Mate, I cannot remember where I aquired these plans, but I am happy to share them with you if you like. They are in a big zip file with build photos of a 48" gas version. From what I remember, the plans are in both a PDF and Autocad as the 48" but I took them down to my local printers and got them scaled down onto paper.

The wood look was my idea, I didn't follow instructions as such which is the great thing about scratch builds. Glad you like it.

Stealth Assassin
10-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Are the stripes stain or paint?

Looks cool!

FLEETMASTER
10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
On the contrary,individual strips of mahogany i believe and white ramin.
Quite time consuming,especially to this kind of finish.I hope to see it run in the flesh sometime soon.

deestingray
11-09-2007, 03:55 AM
I have finally got my Thing dialled in, as originally thought, and pointed out by a few people, anything in the X440 range was going to be too big, that turned out to be the case as I am now running an X632 and it has not run better. I am on 10 cells which equates to a lot of rpm however my amp draw has come down considerably, I hover around the 65 mark consistantly now.

http://www.cunny.jct.net.au/dhullbt.swf

By the way, this is a flash video, bout 2 minutes in length of my last weeks run.
Thanks for watching if you did.

andym
11-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Man what a beutiful boat, well done. It sure isn't slow either!!

ace028
11-09-2007, 02:05 PM
man, thats a really nice looking boat, good job. Have you thought about going lipo?

FLEETMASTER
11-10-2007, 03:52 AM
It sure looks fast!
I'm a little worried now,you may well give me a hosing by the looks of it.
I'll have to pull my finger out,or so to speak.

deestingray
11-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys,

Ace, I have thought of going lipo, probably either run 2 x 3S 2200's in parallel or 2 x 2S 5000's in series. Whilst the motor could easily handle the voltage, it is going to be spinning at a great rate of knots. Right now with the 10 IB3600's, on nice hot packs, it is starting to get a bit flighty in the straights, a COG adjustment could probably rectify this but I like to live on the edge. When these cells are goooone, it will definitely be lipo time but in the meantime........

Fleety, you are going down. I hope you are going to bring a cushion, you will need it!!!

Andym, yeah it is going quite well methinks. I am quite surprised at the difference a MM makes on prop selection and for a 10 cell boat, it is nearly flying so to speak. I love this hull, it takes care of itself. On todays run, it was getting a bit squirrelly out of the corners, would pick the nose up and then settle right down to which I am pretty happy about.