PDA

View Full Version : Dumas 1/8th scale nitro conversion

Xfactor
04-24-2010, 02:37 PM
This is my Dumas Circus Project. It originally had a picco .67.The Basic stamp will run an active canard system and some basic datalogging. I was hoping to record speed but i dont think this basic stamps pic can handle arithmatic functions. I need it to calculate pulses over time. Ill have to think about that code . The datalogging feature is already inherent in the basic stamp via db9 serial port @ the back of my radio box. Later i will add an graphic lcd and a more sophisticated microprocessor. The same proposed processor will run my 3 phase power block. Which will be 60v 295 amp continuous (case limited).The processsor will also do gps functions, telemetics via 2.4 ghz and well as the logic for a closed loop speed control code .By the way Thats 12s lipo crammed into the nose.I could easily go 2p . I plan on changing to lith-ion 123 cells.

Xfactor
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
The kb @ 9s got the boat up on step and it ran about 30 mph on a 457 I think i need more strut angle because it seemed like it was cavitating. Rite now the boat is @ 12.5 pounds. Rite now my strut angle is @ no more than 2 degrees.

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Heres some footage of that set up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdAUUhW6Ws&feature=channel I think the kb could power a light scale (under 5 pounds) This Circus is heavy.I broke my graupner 54 mm prop that steve sent me so ill have to get another.The 450 was just too small 9 s I think. Feedback guys please.

Rumdog
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
The kb @ 9s got the boat up on step and it ran about 30 mph on a 457 I think i need more strut angle because it seemed like it was cavitating. Rite now the boat is @ 12.5 pounds. Rite now my strut angle is @ no more than 2 degrees.

I thought you ran 10s and about 40 mph?

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
naw its not 40 no way rum i had to change that

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
nope i originally said 9s lipo i dont have a water cooling sleve on the kb. Like I said it was only to test. I have a screamer to put in it, Dont sweat the speed yet.

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
By the way Rum, the 1/7th scale guys u talked to said they ran 8s with what prop?Was that on a scorpion? How boat a video of your scale???http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5Ho4TNnRQ&feature=channel

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Dont worry ima burn the kb up for you. I need some more deans connectors and a water cooling jacket. The kb will see 10s and 12s just give me a little time. I will test that big brushed can as well. Its about 1100 kv and is maybe 150 to 200 grams heavier than the kb.The circus's rear sponsons havent been installed yet either.

Xfactor
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Someone drinking haterade lol?One things for sure The kb didnt burn up and it didnt burn up my speed control:banana:.No balance problems either. Any one have a better estimate of how fast its running? Do yall think the extra 1s will make a big difference? What about an extra 3 s?

Xfactor
05-04-2010, 06:11 AM
This is for the haters lol

Xfactor
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Just kidding anyway. Anyone think that kb would have a chance? When you look at that sv27powered 40 inch prather dv you can understand why I really think a finlay 1/8th scale would run really good with a 17xl.

crabstick
05-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Im actually a KB Fan, Surprised that it got a 1/8 moving though. Nice one.

Looking forward to a video of it with the screamer installed!

Xfactor
05-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey what boat is that in you avater? Send me some pics. Thats a sleek looking cat.

crabstick
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/480/img00360201005021318.jpg

Its a Jesse James with a Hybrid Cyclone cowl..

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
KB run info: the kb ran on three 4 different props a 450, 460, 457, and 460.It was on a turnigy 80 hv @ 9s lipo which barely got lukewarm. It was slow but it planed a 12.5 pound 43 in hull at a modest 30-35 mph range. My debated proposal was 12s lipo and a 1750. First of all while you "RUM" your mouth I had no water cooler on the kb and the amp hog didnt fry anything contrary to all the hype. Secondly it was sizzling water when it came in but it should have. It didnt demagnitize like that 580l thing. And Ill bet you BOATKING 50 dollars that I can build an 1/8th scale using it and run over 50."RUM" your mouth and lose your money.The bearings on it are smooth too . Bottom line what I learned from my run is that the kb is a good motor. It's not a pletti or a lehner but it is a good hobby motor.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Oh sorry Matt ;nice cat. A gasser?

crabstick
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
yeah man, i like the smelly motors too.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
What size prop you run on it? Whats your rpm range?

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I got a genade just in case too see.Balanced and bluprinted picco 67 hast even been started but maybe 3 times

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Congrats on nearly demagnetizing a motor and frying an esc just to get low to mid thirties. From now on, how about leaving my name out of your posts. Have a nice day child.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
and you stay outta mine kid

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Whats your name I dont see it but howd i know youd be looking at my post. LOL

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:14 PM
You cant read huh the esc didnt even get warm homie the motors just like it was out the box

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:15 PM
point proven hate on bother I got constructive things to do.

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I've not made a single neg. comment in this thread. Not until you disrespect me in open forum. Public forum means I can view whatever I want. I DO NOT include names in my posts or threads to disrespect people.

Rumdog
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
What do you think is about to happen when a motor is hot enough to boil water? De-mag. Guess what? Then say bye bye to your esc whether it's hot or not.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Im pretty much finished here. I really am going to get back to my scale so youll have plenty to hate on. Youre a motivator. Thanks.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I know that young man but thanks for telling me anyway.U swear Im a novice its funny.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:23 PM
But you know what to some of these guys I really am. So If you dont mind me sharing my ideas with anyone who want to listen id appreciate it. Re read your comments on the kb post and tell me wats up with that.I remember try to squash whatever your deal was back then privately and you tried to make me look gurly by commenting that i pmed you. I dont play those kinda games my friend. I stick my hand out you slap it down so thats that.Ima let it go you should too.

Xfactor
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Im done with class for awhile so ill be getting some things done. This is a ill tangent so im gonna go do what relaxes me in times like these build boats . Holla back yall.

crabstick
05-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Valium anyone? :olleyes:

What size prop you run on it? Whats your rpm range?

Still tuning the RCMK, no rev counter at the moment, but have been trying a heavilly cupped X467 , a 1470, and an ABC MW3..

I have had to de-butcher the boat from the last owner, motor mounts were crooked and too far forward and it ran a bit like a plow in calm water.. Now the motor is back an inch and the radio box is back an inch, it gets up and dances..

This weekend will hopefully finish the tune with the alloy pipe, then once I finish the muffler for my QD hotpipe we should see a few more mph..

Xfactor
05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I gotta do some work on this boat. Well I need some big bullets for the screamer . I dont know what size. 8mm I guess. I need an alternative to deans plugs too. Anyone?I also am goind to start working on the canards. Once I get the m,echanics worked out ill re install the microcontroller and start on some code.I think I will keep it simple and make an optical shudder on the rudder arm and have the stamp slowly add downforce in a right turn. Ill also make a shudder wheel and mount it to the back of the screamer for shaft speed via and optical shudder. Ive been thinking about what kind of hardware items i will need to measure the amps. I need a shunt of some type. I guess while Im at it . I may as well look to add a automated cooling system with a water pump and fans.I can use an old winshield wiper fluid pump for that.This basic stamp is memory limited so a graphic lcd is a bit much. I could add a alphanumeric display like you see in the typical watt meters but that too would require a decoder chip to handle the cgmap with this stamp so i choose to use some 7 segment displays . Thay are good to display numbers and simple words or abbreviations.

crabstick
05-13-2010, 02:17 AM
so much technology going into that bad boy that you might have to name it starship enterprise :laugh:

Will be an interesting project :popcorn2: though something I wouldn't attempt myself. for racing for me it needs to have minimal moving parts for less things to break, you going to race this beast or sport run?

Xfactor
05-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Lol. Its not really anymore than anyone else this is just whats involved in the consumer electronics everyone buys. It might all go poof but we will learn from it. I hope the canards and active surfaces manifest into something we can all gain speed from.Its just a boat nothing special.Sport for now.

crabstick
05-13-2010, 02:41 AM
dont get me wrong I like what you are doing, Im not dissin ya or nothing, more power to ya, if no one thought outside the box it would be a very boring world in deed :bounce:Cannards are an excellent idea, I think if you set them up with an AVCS Gyro like a GY240 or GY401 futaba, and a fast digital servo they might be quite useful,.I have seen a pad on the right rear of a naviga style mono that comes down in right turns to stop the boat rolling over, i think that was an aircraft radio with a mix setup on right rudder input.

Xfactor
05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
No I dont think youre dissing me crab it is alot of stuff.I just wanted to experiment. I mean I can just go with what works and run the boat. Then wat?Fun is over and ill be building another boat,So i wanted to take some time with my scale and try things ive been thinking about for years.

Xfactor
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Racing an 1/8th scale scares me anyway. So much time put into the paint,detail, and all you know what Im sayin?To race mine I have to be confident in the other drivers not to run my boat over. Theres a way around that huh? HAVE THE FASTEST BOAT lol.That would be hard with some of the guys on here to compete against.I mean look at people like randy you cant touch all that experience . Mark F and his 80/90 mph hydros thees guys are cooking.Thers no doubt that there are some people on here id just love to sit and pick their brains.

Xfactor
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Steve Look for my order. I need some big bullets for the screamer and some type of alternative for the deans plugs . I also need a cooler for my kb.

Xfactor
05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey I actually managed to get some things done today. I made the optical trigger wheel for the screamer.Check it out. The small circuit in the photo is the optical shudder that will send the signal to the microcontroller . I plan to impliment closed loop simply by having the microcontroller act as and active bypass between the rx and the esc;modifiying the signal coming to the esc from the reciever if it senses slip.If youi had a schultz with hall option then you could make a wheel like this out of oh well let me shut up.:zip-up:

Xfactor
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
I made an esc plate . I will also mount the optical shudder to this plate.

BHChieftain
05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey I actually managed to get some things done today. I made the optical trigger wheel for the screamer.Check it out. The small circuit in the photo is the optical shudder that will send the signal to the microcontroller . I plan to impliment closed loop simply by having the microcontroller act as and active bypass between the rx and the esc;modifiying the signal coming to the esc from the reciever if it senses slip.If youi had a schultz with hall option then you could make a wheel like this out of oh well let me shut up.:zip-up:

What does the optical trigger wheel do?

Chief

Xfactor
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
It breaks the beam between photo emitter/collector circuit (shudder) which will send hi 5volt pulses to the microcontroller. Then through the appropriate code the microcontroller will know the motor shaft/prop position throughout its rotation.It basically turned a sensorless motor into a sensored motor which theorhetically will have many benefits over the typical sensorless setups we run.

BHChieftain
05-22-2010, 11:34 PM
It breaks the beam between photo emitter/collector circuit (shudder) which will send hi 5volt pulses to the microcontroller. Then through the appropriate code the microcontroller will know the motor shaft/prop position throughout its rotation.It basically turned a sensorless motor into a sensored motor which theorhetically will have many benefits over the typical sensorless setups we run.

Did you design a custom esc?
Chief

Xfactor
05-23-2010, 01:51 AM
The esc is in the works but what i plan to do for rite now is run this microcontroller board (which already has crude datalogging via serial to the pc) as a active bypass between my rx and turnigy esc.As far as my esc i am selecting drivers,mosfets, and a brain to run it all. The brain will possibly be the parallax propeller chip, or an 18 series pic or a pic in the dsp family . I ll have to do some mathematical calculations to select the right drivers, as well as the right capacitors and resistors in the RC circuits for the right rise and fall time of the mosfets which is dictated by the pole count and stator arms as well as the max rpm for the motor. It will take awhile its do-able though. I also intend on letting the proposed microprocessor run on board graphic display with a directional keypad as well as telemetics via 2.4ghz.It will have a menu and programming would be accomplished through navigation of on screen GUI. If I knew the type of hall sensors a shultz wanted I could easily modify this for their esc. All the firmware is already there for the shultz. I dont know what the closed loop function on a shultz will offer u though outside of the obvious benefits of a closed loop design.One of u owners of one will have to school me on that.To accomplish the bypass i may need another piece of diy hardware: a servo pulse to pwm module.

Xfactor
05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Canard servo mount finished.

Xfactor
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I need a true trigger wheel machined with 6 teeth lined up with the poles . Who can help me?

Xfactor
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Theyre used to be machinist on here guess they all dissappeared; well what i decided to do is draw the wheel in inventor and let my brother in laws ME firm handle it. Its called 3dmagic out of lynchburg va. If you need something machined and can derive a drawing in inventor or solid works i can get it cut out at school for virtually nothing.Need a drawing hit him up hes military grade mechanical engineer. Hit me up if you need something cut and youre on a budjet.

Xfactor
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Canard lever arms done.Heres the pic.

RandyatBBY
06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Boy that esc is over my head. If you are coming up with a controller that will handle 300+ amps I am interested. Then I can run the prop I want to on 10S. :popcorn2: Actually Andy K is your man he should be able to help you and understand what you are trying to do.

RandyatBBY
06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I need a true trigger wheel machined with 6 teeth lined up with the poles . Who can help me?
I can build the wheel with a indexer I have.

Xfactor
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I need that randy 4 sure just not exactly sure what i need to do cause a full mechanical revolution is different that one rotation electronically I hope you understand what im saying.

Xfactor
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Canard hinges in place .

T.C.
06-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Somebody's got tooooooooooooo much time on his hands. :popcorn2:
T.C.

Xfactor
06-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Lol, and not enough money in them.

Xfactor
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Randy the trigger wheel wont have teeth , but 6 magnets instead.

Xfactor
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Pics of progress. I need to design a cooling plate. Fets should be here any day now.I also need clevices for the canards.Since the basic linkage is done I might get around to some code that will let me adjust canard angle up or down with 2 buttons. Since im tricking it out Im wondering should I put the horizontal stabilizer on some type of autonomous control too?An XYZ sensor and some code one might come up with a anti blowover algorithm.

Xfactor
06-14-2010, 11:33 AM
For now this garmin nuvi will record my speed.

Xfactor
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
The trigger wheel I started with would have given me mechanical revolutions but it wouldnt have given me n accurate reading of the electrical revolutions so ill need at least 3 magnets 3x120=360 degrees or 6 magnets 60 degrees apart.The basic stamp board may still end up being the heart of a custom datalogger. my paint man is rushing me to get finishedwith the construction of this boat. No ones got time for my star trek hookup.

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Nothing new just saying hi to all the haters that look at my threads trying to see whats up then talk junk to me on other threads. Hey haters lol I know youre watching.Hopefully buy tonight Ill have something new for you to hate on.LOL

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I might do like my fellow alumni Brian Bosworth and maket some I hate X shirts; that will pay for a new benz controller.For the more advanced modelers hopefully tonight I can get those canards done.Dr wayne you got a tracking number?

ace028
06-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Cant wait to see more progress, its cool to see stuff out side the norm. Good luck man!!!

Xfactor
06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Luv you too ace you buil some hot sh.. .