PDA

View Full Version : Li-Po repair

KillerDave
04-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi guys,

I have a Li-Po that seemed to just die on me. It's a 4S vislero 5000mAh unit and cell 3 shows no charge at the tab... well that was until I took it apart and found the tab falling out....

My question is this...

Can the tab be refitted into the cell?

If I put my meter on the remaing tab and the other probe in the place that SHOULD have a tab, I get the same reading as the other cells.....

It would be great if this can be done...

AndyKunz
04-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I think you have yourself a 3S 5000 now. That's OK - use it in an 8-cell boat.

Make sure you have somebody who knows what they're doing re-wire your pack for you, if you're not up to it yourself.

Andy

KillerDave
04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I think you have yourself a 3S 5000 now. That's OK - use it in an 8-cell boat.

Make sure you have somebody who knows what they're doing re-wire your pack for you, if you're not up to it yourself.

Andy

I'm OK with the electronics and so on but I have never played with a Li-Po before....

I will take some pic's to show how it's come apart but I would need to peel back the covering of the cell... Is that ok to do?

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I would not play with LiPo bats. Is it worth it, for real? What is so special about the one you would like to fix? If its not done properly this may be a recepy for:flashfire:
Thereis so many wicked deals on new Hk or used batteries its insane..... Think again...
Robert

I'm OK with the electronics and so on but I have never played with a Li-Po before....

I will take some pic's to show how it's come apart but I would need to peel back the covering of the cell... Is that ok to do?

CornelP
04-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Ha ha ha ha..... This weekend I just converted a similar Vislero to 2S... unpacked everything, re soldered, changed equalizer tab... mine was flooded, with one cell on 0.8V, but have enough 3S packs, I needed a 2S. I just have to think what to do with the 1S left :)
If you are careful with the soldering and avoid any shorts, it is absolutely ok to do. Make sure you get a solder pump... they used LOADS of solder on the tabs.

AndyKunz
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM

No. The MRE-style bags are sealed and need to stay that way. You can disassemble the cells from one another, but you can't fix what's inside the cell.

There are some really good webinars on LiPo cell construction.

Andy

Meniscus
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Since you seem to understand the dangers, please at least wear goggles. I'd just hate to see something happen to you. Burns heal and may leave scars, but eyes don't heal.

Sorry for jumping in, but someone had to say it.

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Since you seem to understand the dangers, please at least wear goggles. I'd just hate to see something happen to you. Burns heal and may leave scars, but eyes don't heal.

Sorry for jumping in, but someone had to say it.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice given and I do take on everything said.

Here is a picture just to clear up what I have, I plan to pull back the cover just enough to refit the copper tab but my first thing to do is see how quickly the remaining tab can be tinned and if it takes well, waring my leather welding gloves, a full face mask and breathing mask, I will put the cell on a no conductive and non flamable surface outside and see how it goes.

After that I will test the cell by giving it a dummy load in a fire box and IF it still holds up, I would think it's good...

What do you guys think???? Yeah, I know.. I'm playing with fire!!! Lol.....

Meniscus
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm glad to hear that if you are going to attempt repairing a lipo, that you are taking some precautions. The other reason for posting is for someone else contemplating this type of repair or any repair for that matter.

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that if you are going to attempt repairing a lipo, that you are taking some precautions. The other reason for posting is for someone else contemplating this type of repair or any repair for that matter.

Thanks Meniscus, I also play Ice hockey and as we say at the rink 'We live life on the edge' I know I will be filling my pants but if it saves me a few bucks then I'm happy!

AndyKunz
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I would never attempt what you are trying. I've done quite a bit with LiPos both at home and at work.

Andy

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
..but why, why fix it????

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I would never attempt what you are trying. I've done quite a bit with LiPos both at home and at work.

Andy

I understand your concern so thank you Andy.
I muct concede to not doing it! I did try to tin the white metal tab but no go! It will not tin!!!!
The original copper tab had marks on it that looked like a sonic welder....
I'm not sure what the white metal is but it won't solder.....

I did send an email to Vislero to see if they will send me a new cell but no reply yet....

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
..but why, why fix it????

Why? Why pay for new if you can fix the broken? I would like to call it recyceling but it's because I'm cheap! Lol.....

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
...got it.....

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
...got it.....

It's not worked out anyway, The thing won't take the stuff and it's not stuck to the bit.... Lol! No, I gave it a go and now just wait to see if I can get a cell from the manufacturer....

AndyKunz
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
That white metal is aluminum.

Glad to hear you decided not to.

Andy

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
same here..... :beerchug:

Andy

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Andy

Ha! I thought I might be somethin a little more exotic!? Oh well...

I'm glad for this forum and guys like yourself that take the time to help out dumb ass guys like me!

Thanks for the advice. :-)

Meniscus
04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
On one hand you could be cheap and save money or on the other hand.........

......wait..............

....Where's my other hand? Not funny.

READ THIS KIDS, DON'T TRY IT!

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
No, that is funny.... On the same time so truth......
There was a post here on OSE a while ago about one of our friends loosing house and all becouse of LiPo issue. Can not remember if this was resoult of playing with LiPo or charging issue but the buttom line is they are what they are and we just have to remember that....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe_TBzD49Y
shorting it with knife.....
Robert

On one hand you could be cheap and save money or on the other hand.........

......wait..............

....Where's my other hand? Not funny.

READ THIS KIDS, DON'T TRY IT!

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
No, that is funny.... On the same time so truth......
There was a post here on OSE a while ago about one of our friends loosing house and all becouse <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='of lipo';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://thebigsvc.info/?v=4%2E03&ss=of+lipo">of LiPo</a> issue. Can not remember if this was resoult of playing with LiPo or charging issue but the buttom line is they are what they are and we just have to remember that....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe_TBzD49Y
shorting it with knife.....
Robert

I know what a Li-Po can do to a boat, one ripped through one of my boats and all I could think about was.... car, house, car house....
Now I keep them in steel boxes and charge in Li-Po safe bags.....

Thanks again guys...

Meniscus
04-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't understand why they didn't do it at a distance. Stupidity at it's best.

KillerDave
04-19-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't understand why they didn't do it at a distance. Stupidity at it's best.

Quote, This stunt was performed by highly skilled idiots. un-quote!

6S HYDRO
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
you cant fix that tab, they use very special solder on those aluminum tabs- scrap it and make a 2-3 cell

Simon.O.
04-20-2010, 05:19 AM
I have resoldered a main feed that came off a tab once!
Yes that is once. It was not a success for very long and I was not keen to have another go at it.

Read the Lipo disposal thread and follow the guide lines.
Buy a new pack, job done. I did.

It has now been covered exstensively and I think it needs no further reiteration.

DO NOT FARK WITH A LIPO !! unless you are a very experienced tech in this field.

Burns are no fun and then heal with scars, blindness is forever.

KillerDave
04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
you cant fix that tab, they use very special solder on those aluminum tabs- scrap it and make a 2-3 cell

No solder at all, The copper tab is fixed with a sonic welder. 3S it is.....

KillerDave
04-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I have resoldered a main feed that came off a tab once!
Yes that is once. It was not a success for very long and I was not keen to have another go at it.

Read the Lipo disposal thread and follow the guide lines.
Buy a new pack, job done. I did.

It has now been covered exstensively and I think it needs no further reiteration.

DO NOT FARK WITH A LIPO !! unless you are a very experienced tech in this field.

Burns are no fun and then heal with scars, blindness is forever.

I would not do anything like this without being armed with several things....
1, Correct PPE.
2, A fire extinguisher.
3, Technical ability... As I have said, I am anengineer and I do understand the dangers of such items. However, I also hate thouwing away something that can be fixed. In this case, I am loosing one cell and now have a 3S, not what I wanted but better than nothing....

As you say Simon "It has now been covered exstensively and I think it needs no further reiteration"

Thank you to all for the input.....

David.

6S HYDRO
04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
no solder at all, the copper tab is fixed with a sonic welder. 3s it is.....

in order to solder the tab back you would need special solder called aluminum paste

BILL OXIDEAN
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I can't wait for Lipo to get cheaper all around so guys aren't willing to risk their lives to save packs :hide:

KillerDave
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
in order to solder the tab back you would need special solder called aluminum paste

Yeah but doesn't that need alot of heat compared to solder, As this is right next to the cell, I don't wanna do that! Just too close for me.....

KillerDave
04-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I can't wait for Lipo to get cheaper all around so guys aren't willing to risk their lives to save packs :hide:

I hear ya Bill, I work for a large automotive development company. We are working on an electric vehicle right now and it should be out VERY soon. Believe me, The batteries for these are NOT cheap but they are set to drop in price.

One thing that commands the price we pay is a little like oil... Most of the Lithium is in Russia so the don't wanna just give it away..... Thing will get better though...