PDA

View Full Version : motor upgrade

xxxrems38xxx
04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
hello
i 've got a formula Fastech modified with a Marine turnigy esc 180A, a stock 3600-1500kv motor proboat, the Prop Is a Graupner 42mm and one hyperion lipo 4s 5000mAh 25c. I have a 3060kv motor that I bought at hobbyking, do you think I can install Him? because I want a little more speed? thanks

forescott
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt, your esc is very stout, but that is just too high of a kv rating. The proboat motor is a great motor. Why dont you purchase a single or set of batteries to run 5s on your existing setup? You can get a set of 20c packs from hobbyking for a great price. Also try out a couple of different props, something like an octura 642 with a little more pitch?

xxxrems38xxx
04-18-2010, 12:08 PM
forescott hello,
thank you for your reply, I will try to 5s lipo and with a prop X642.
and what do you think about octura x440/3 prop??

forescott
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
If you already have the 440/3 you can give it a try. I am not a big fan of 3-blade props because they seem to load the motor more. Plus you are decreasing the diameter over your stock prop by 2mm. I think with that prop you wont see any increase in speed. Stick with the 2-blade. I have the 440/3 and the 642 for my supervee, and the 642 is awesome. Just moving up to 5s alone should net a big difference in speed. Try your new batteries with the graupner 42 first. If you step up to the 642, just be sure the motor doesnt get too hot with that setup. You should be able to hold your fingers on the end of the motor for several seconds without getting burnt! And your 180a esc is more than adequate for your motor and batteries. I have the same one in my converted thundercat and I love it!!

xxxrems38xxx
04-18-2010, 01:25 PM
no I didn 't the x440 / 3 but I'll order the X642 and the lipo. The Graupner prop is great (and the motor is not very hot) but very fragile when there are twigs on the water, the prop is damaged soon! do you need to balance your octura after a run? and What is her weight? thanks

xxxrems38xxx
04-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Here are some pictures of my formula Fastech ....24948

forescott
04-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Carbon props are great because of their low price / light weight / and no balancing needed. If you do purchase the 642 you will have to balance and sharpen it, which can be challenging for beginners but can be done fairly easily with a decent prop balancer and some small files and sandpaper. If your not interested in getting too involved with prop balancing then stick with the carbon props and buy a few different sizes to experiment. At 5-6 bucks a piece they are pretty affordable. Here is a pic of my king of shaves with counter rotating 40mm carbon fiber props that reaches 55.2mph so far on gps!

LiPo Power
04-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I had one of them a while back and it was superfuntastic just out of the box. After a while had the same need for speed sickness and went to hobby shop and on-line for parts. Based on my expierience X642 works on this boat the best and many other formula fastech owners will share this opinion. I was running stock ESC and stock motor but with few small tweeks of the hardware I was able to get 37-40 MPH on 14.8V, 2 x 2s 5000mAh and 40C. If you happy with this speed than leave it at that. If you willing to make this boat less stable and get it faster than 40, make sure to slow down, way down on turns and forget the chop fastech use to handle with no problem.....
One note... For some reason Fastech will turn better to the left.... :crying:
Happy boating with it...
Oooo, LMK if your stock motor is for sale maybe, please?
Robert

hello
i 've got a formula Fastech modified with a Marine turnigy esc 180A, a stock 3600-1500kv motor proboat, the Prop Is a Graupner 42mm and one hyperion lipo 4s 5000mAh 25c. I have a 3060kv motor that I bought at hobbyking, do you think I can install Him? because I want a little more speed? thanks

xxxrems38xxx
04-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Carbon props are great because of their low price / light weight / and no balancing needed. If you do purchase the 642 you will have to balance and sharpen it, which can be challenging for beginners but can be done fairly easily with a decent prop balancer and some small files and sandpaper. If your not interested in getting too involved with prop balancing then stick with the carbon props and buy a few different sizes to experiment. At 5-6 bucks a piece they are pretty affordable. Here is a pic of my king of shaves with counter rotating 40mm carbon fiber props that reaches 55.2mph so far on gps!

ok I think I'll follow your advice buying first of carbon props for testing. I thank you for all your tips have been for me a great help! thank you ps: you should have some pictures of your boats?

xxxrems38xxx
04-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I had one of them a while back and it was superfuntastic just out of the box. After a while had the same need for speed sickness and went to hobby shop and on-line for parts. Based on my expierience X642 works on this boat the best and many other formula fastech owners will share this opinion. I was running stock ESC and stock motor but with few small tweeks of the hardware I was able to get 37-40 MPH on 14.8V, 2 x 2s 5000mAh and 40C. If you happy with this speed than leave it at that. If you willing to make this boat less stable and get it faster than 40, make sure to slow down, way down on turns and forget the chop fastech use to handle with no problem.....
One note... For some reason Fastech will turn better to the left.... :crying:
Happy boating with it...
Oooo, LMK if your stock motor is for sale maybe, please?
Robert

hello Robert:thumbup1:
I think I'll spend my formula Fastech in 5s on the advice of forescott. For the stock motor I keep it for now but when i sold it I'll contact you. leave me your e-mail in private message:thumbup1: