PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have anything bad to say about the Turnigy 180 Controller?

Chilli
04-18-2010, 09:05 AM
My new cc240 is giving my problems and I will be sending it back to Castle to have them take a look at it. With a three week turnaround, I have to find a replacement till I get the 240 situation sorted out. I can either go back to my trusty old Etti 150 which I used last season or try the Turnigy 180. I like the Etti's allot and have them in my two sons boats, but am looking for a little bit more head room as far as amperage for my Titan 33, 1515 1Y.:smile:

vasy
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
You will be waiting 3 weeks for shipping from HK :)
Goto hobbyhot and get 180a seaking with programming card for the same price as HK and faster shipping.

RIPFENCE
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
i had one pop on plugin the other day..it was my first bad experience with them..they have been reliable for me other then that..it does not hurt nearly as much as the 240 going bad

tiqueman
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
You will be waiting 3 weeks for shipping from HK :)
Goto hobbyhot and get 180a seaking with programming card for the same price as HK and faster shipping.

Where are you getting this info???????

Ive never waited more than 8 days for an order.. from time purchased to the time it hits my front door. Most of the time its 6-7 days.... My recent order got here in 5.

EDIT: And they are more at non member price by 5 bucks.... and almost 20 dollars more at Hobby hot (if you are a HC member)? fastest shipping 15 vs 18 from HC.. HC still a better deal. Unless I missing something?

Ive yet to have any issues w/ any of my Turnigy ESCs. Havent run the 180 yet but will be soon.

vasy
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Where are you getting this info???????

Ive never waited more than 8 days for an order.. from time purchased to the time it hits my front door. Most of the time its 6-7 days.... My recent order got here in 5.

From me and their board.
I just waited 1,5 weeks for my 1 itme ems order just to be packed.

tiqueman
04-18-2010, 10:51 AM
That Sucks! Hmm, maybe its a difference between BC and USA? I made an order on the 8th of this month and it got here on the 13th. Five days from hitting "add to cart" to hitting my hands.

Chilli
04-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I've been pretty lucky with Hobby City. Three orders and never took more than 10 days.

BTW- I ordered my CC240 from the Neu website. I ordered it in September and it took them a week to let me know it was out of stock. Finally received it in December. You just never know! Maybe I'll just stick with the Etti and Cap board.

forescott
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
all my hobbyking orders come in about 10 days. I have a turnigy 180 that I almost lost. It was submerged for about 4-minutes in a sinking boat, and I blew it out wth compressed air and it works fine!

properchopper
04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I popped a CC 240 LV at the SAWs a while ago. H&M shovel/1515 1Y. $ 150 from CC for out-of-warrantee replacement + out of stock wait. Bought a Turnigy 180 for under $ 100 from HK; 5 days to Cali. Works fine. Cool programming card easy to use - can use at lakeside instead of Castle link/laptop . Nuff said ?

Rumdog
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Nothing bad here. Get one, or several. Shipping via ems from HK has been as fast as 4 days to my house in Michigan.

Flying Scotsman
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I have 4 Turnigy Esc with no problems and I have the 200 amp high voltage really large one that I have not tried yet. All deliveries to Vancouver, Canada have taken about 2 to 3 weeks from Hobby King and as Tony mentions the programming cards are very easy to use etc.
The different delivery times are probably due to our dollar being worth more as the US dollar sinks :banana: and they want to get their cash before it falls more :w00t:

Edit

Also note that these goods have to go through Canadian Customs :closedeyes::glare::olleyes:

Douggie

properchopper
04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I have 4 Turnigy Esc with no problems and I have the 200 amp high voltage really large one that I have not tried yet. All deliveries to Vancouver, Canada have taken about 2 to 3 weeks from Hobby King and as Tony mentions the programming cards are very easy to use etc.
The different delivery times are probably due to our dollar being worth more as the US dollar sinks :banana: and they want to get their cash before it falls more :w00t:

Edit

Also note that these goods have to go through Canadian Customs :closedeyes::glare::olleyes:

Douggie

Douggie, Wazzup with Canadian customs ? Or is the problem US customs ? I ordered a tiny heli part that can be mailed in a standard sized envelope. Supposedly shipped from Canada April first and still not here. :confused2:

Flying Scotsman
04-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Tony, Canadian customs are s..l..o..w to process items into Canada. An item shipped from Canada would be held up US Customs and if the paperwork is not correct it can take a long time. Also if the item was not shipped via air mail it will take about 2 to 3 weeks to California

Douggie

BakedMopar
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Hc has moved to another warehouse. Just before that they had their new year holiday. That's maybe why the delay. My latest order took a week to ship. All other shipments usually reach Hawaii in three to four days. I will be trying out one of these also in my Rico mono.

Chilli
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Well I ordered a 180 today, along with a programmer and pair of 40c 4S 5000's.

Anyone add extra caps to their 180's?

properchopper
04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Well I ordered a 180 today, along with a programmer and pair of 40c 4S 5000's.

Anyone add extra caps to their 180's?

The speedy comes with some healthy looking caps onboard so I didn't bother with them. I did add a fan ; mostly because Brad gave me a few and this one just fit on top perfectly even though there's so little airspace in the H&M. You may find that the cooling lines from your CC 240 need to be re-done since the 180 lines exit at 90 degrees from the motor & battery wires- no real biggie I'm sure.

Chilli
04-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks Tony. I definitley have a bit more space in the Titan 33 than your hydro. LOL

Can't wait to give it a spin.

FE Wannabe
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The speedy comes with some healthy looking caps onboard so I didn't bother with them. I did add a fan ; mostly because Brad gave me a few and this one just fit on top perfectly even though there's so little airspace in the H&M. You may find that the cooling lines from your CC 240 need to be re-done since the 180 lines exit at 90 degrees from the motor & battery wires- no real biggie I'm sure.

Tony,
Glad you could make use of some of those fans. A little extra cooling never hurts, even with limited airspace.
Have a good one......
Brad

agressive1
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I hope they are a good ESC, i will be using mine in a 37.5" Mono hull with a Feigao 580 9l motor and 2x 22.2v lipos 6s in parallel, i hope it will handle it.

Raydee
04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is a question, which esc will handle a Neu 1527 1Y motor on 6s better, the Turnigy 180 or the Swordfish 240HV?

Flying Scotsman
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I would not apply 6S voltage to the Turnigy 180. That is just my 2 cents as I prefer to err on the side of caution and I hate the smell of a toasted ESC

Douggie

Rumdog
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
The 240 hv probably. I have both. Haven't run the swordfish though. I am a firm believer in not running an esc or anything for that matter to the max rated specs. It's just asking for trouble. I have run 5s on the seaking in many setups with a rx pack without fail and low temps. I'll be using the swordfish in a 1/8 scale hydro with littlescreamers outrunner. My cat has twin 1515 1y's, seaking 180's and 5s 1p for each power plant. the seakings run flawlessly in that setup.

JMSCARD
04-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I just got some more lipos and another monster 200 turnigy from hc..... 7 days after order was in my hands..... Like someone else posted they moved there warehouses and it delayed stuff.... I think I've had 30 transactions with hc.... Not once have I had a bad experience.... I also run my turnigy 180's on 6s just fine..... I run one in my mean machine with a 1515 1.5y on 6s and I'm actually going to run one in my drifter l with a 9xl on 5s and 6s.... The drifter has a hydra 120 I don't want to kill so I'm gonna use my tried and true turnigy 180's.... Great esc....And easy to program even without a program card.... Tho I do have a program card sometimes I forget it at home..... Well I better go back to installing the kayak racks on the suv..... Boating season is here in Vermont:)

Jeff Wohlt
04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
James, just got me a kayak and love it!

Meniscus
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know whether or not the Turnigy 180A features a thermal shutdown?

Thanks.

tiqueman
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know whether or not the Turnigy 180A features a thermal shutdown?

Thanks.

According to the Instruction manual, it states that if the motor is slow and or beeping, its either reached the LVC, or is in protection mode due to overheating.. So Id say YES

Meniscus
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
According to the Instruction manual, it states that if the motor is slow and or beeping, its either reached the LVC, or is in protection mode due to overheating.. So Id say YES

Thanks, I figured so, but didn't know if anyone had confirmed. :thumbup1:

Himalaya
04-22-2010, 06:38 AM
I have three of those 180A, all perform great after I learned I must apply silicone seal to all joint gaps of the case. I cooked one a year back when water found its way in. Never again since then even the ESC get SUBMERGED in water-- silicone seal is a great invent.

K.R.Joye
04-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Just got a Turnigy 180 Marine w/bec. I like running on/off switches whats the best way to hook one up using the BEC w/Spectrum 2.4 DSM?

Himalaya
04-26-2010, 03:38 AM
The 180A was officially converted from the car version EZRUN150A, you can find a short jumper wire on the PCB, that's where the switch was loaded.

K.R.Joye
04-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Wow thanks! I was wondering what the exposed tab was for on the left side of the ESC board was for. I found a great pic of the EZ run with a on/off switch if anyone else is interested. The middle jumper apparently powers an optional fan. Right jumper is the rx leads.

mars
04-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Just thought I would add this. I ran a 180 at 135Amps on 6s and it did not get hot. After the first run I changed to a smaller prop to draw 90Amps. I plugged everything in and it was fine. Put the boat in the water and hit the throttle - nothing - no servo no throttle.

I have since done a bunch of trouble shooting including eliminating the BEC from the circuit and the ESC still does not work. It beeps every 2 seconds when I plug it in but it will not arm.

I am just about ready to send it back...unless someone here can help...:confused1:

Mars

JMSCARD
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Did you accidentally adjust the throttle trim... If it doesn't read that its at neutral throttle the esc won't arm.... If all else fails start over with programing the esc to your radio.... before programming to your radio make sure throttle trim is centered....

mars
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks JMSCard - I just tried to plug the ESC into the program card and the card gets no power. I plugged the ESC into the card and used a separate power source (6V battery) and the program card still does not come on...

It is so frustrating knowing that the ESC is in there somewhere as it understands that it is not getting a good throttle reading but it will not react to anything...

Mars

Did you accidentally adjust the throttle trim... If it doesn't read that its at neutral throttle the esc won't arm.... If all else fails start over with programing the esc to your radio.... before programming to your radio make sure throttle trim is centered....

JMSCARD
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I am responding on my iPhone or I would get the "manual" program instructions for you.... Do u still have the instructions that came with the turnigy? Try using those instructions as maybe your program box is smoked... I think u connect the battery with full throttle applied to enter program mode.... Anyhow try the manual programming....

Also make sure u r putting the rec battery in the right input of the program box as both that and the esc input are the same size.... Just making sure you r trying everything....

mars
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I am sure I put the esc and battery plug into the proper slots on the card. I tried to enter program mode on the esc but it just beeps as it always does. Keep the ideas coming as I want to try everything before I wait for who knows how long for another esc.

As a last ditch effort I am going to try a different rx...

Mars

I am responding on my iPhone or I would get the "manual" program instructions for you.... Do u still have the instructions that came with the turnigy? Try using those instructions as maybe your program box is smoked... I think u connect the battery with full throttle applied to enter program mode.... Anyhow try the manual programming....

Also make sure u r putting the rec battery in the right input of the program box as both that and the esc input are the same size.... Just making sure you r trying everything....

Rumdog
04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
If you plugged in the esc and a rx battery to the prog box without removing the red wire, it's prob toast. The box, that is.

tiqueman
04-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Also be sure you didnt run another model etc w/ the TX and put the throttle back to normal. It must be reverse for the Turnigys to work.... and I cant think of anything else obvious right now....

BakedMopar
04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Also be sure you didnt run another model etc w/ the TX and put the throttle back to normal. It must be reverse for the Turnigys to work.... and I cant think of anything else obvious right now....

Isn't that for Futabas only? Mines arms and runs with it on normal with my Tactic and M8.

tiqueman
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Isn't that for Futabas only? Mines arms and runs with it on normal with my Tactic and M8.

Oh yes.. you are correct. Minor details..... :doh:

mars
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I sent the ESC back to HC for $33.

I will keep you posted on the status. About 2 years ago I sent a Lipo back to HC and they replaced it. I am hoping for the same treatment here as I never ran this thing outside of its specs.

If they do replace it I will make sure I do not use the BEC but add an rx pack to my boat.

Thanks for all the help,

Mars

vasy
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I sent the ESC back to HC for $33.

I will keep you posted on the status. About 2 years ago I sent a Lipo back to HC and they replaced it. I am hoping for the same treatment here as I never ran this thing outside of its specs.

If they do replace it I will make sure I do not use the BEC but add an rx pack to my boat.

Thanks for all the help,

Mars

I just had mine 120 replaced. Hope it will happen for you with in reasonable time.
How come shipping is so expensive? cost me $12 for the last item returned and it was large 6 cell lipo. (no express mail though)

sailr
04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
How did you send it to get it so cheap!? I got a DOA $50 power supply from HK and it was gonna cost $40 to ship it back. I threw it in the trash!

mars
04-30-2010, 08:05 PM
When I took my ESC to the USPS they said $26 for 7-10 days or $33 for 3 days.

I went with the latter as I have no backup ESC and really want to run my boat soon!

Mars

bustitup
05-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I just got some more lipos and another monster 200 turnigy from hc..... 7 days after order was in my hands..... Like someone else posted they moved there warehouses and it delayed stuff.... I think I've had 30 transactions with hc.... Not once have I had a bad experience.... I also run my turnigy 180's on 6s just fine..... I run one in my mean machine with a 1515 1.5y on 6s and I'm actually going to run one in my drifter l with a 9xl on 5s and 6s.... The drifter has a hydra 120 I don't want to kill so I'm gonna use my tried and true turnigy 180's.... Great esc....And easy to program even without a program card.... Tho I do have a program card sometimes I forget it at home..... Well I better go back to installing the kayak racks on the suv..... Boating season is here in Vermont:)

are you guys using the internal bec?

vasy
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
When I took my ESC to the USPS they said $26 for 7-10 days or $33 for 3 days.

I went with the latter as I have no backup ESC and really want to run my boat soon!

Mars

I see, I was really in no rush :) $8 for 2-3 month by sea :buttrock:
HK is in no rush to ship stuff out anyway.

vasy
05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
are you guys using the internal bec?

I went with an external UBEC for $5 from ebay...
Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

mars
05-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I too will not use the BEC on 6s. I have a bunch of rx packs lying around anyway...

mars

Figured the ESC is rated to take it, but if it does not or some issue with it I risk $100 ESC so might as well spend $5 for a cheap insurance.

JMSCARD
05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I was using the internal bec on my 180's for awhile.... was using it even on 5s setups..... but after hearing about the bec issues I started using rec. packs..... only issue I ever had with the turnigy 180's is the LVC kicking in wrong... sometimes when I plugged in a fully charged pack it would read it as the wrong "S" pack and would cut off power right after a minute or so.... I generally don't use LVC's though on my esc's because I tend to bring her in the second I notice even a slight bit of less power.... hasn't bit me yet.... and I tend to run my boats for a few minutes and then come in.... still having some capacity left...

properchopper
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM

A word of caution about external BEC's. I've had two CC BEC's go screwy and put input voltage out into the rx. Poof goes the Rx!! Mr . Fluid has always advocated Rx battery packs & I respect his knowledge. Just a thought. :unsure:

Raydee
05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I have seen external BEC's go screwy on the heli's and let 22 volts shoot through EVERYTHING...total mess and loss. On the flip side I think my CC BEC MIGHT have saved my CC240 controller today. I will know for sure in a few days. I only use the CC bec if I am using 4s or lower. On my 6s boats I only use a receiver battery.