PDA

View Full Version : You'll put your eye out!

FE_Chris
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Your Mom ever tell you that? Mine did, once atleast. Anyway, I'll admit it, sometimes I don't take things seriously....you know...like wearing saftety glass'!

Sunday morning I was readying a boat for the water, cutting a new strut bushing. I was using a dremmel tool and one of those cheap almost sand like cutting wheels. It shattered, it was early, I did not even have my regular glass' on. Something hit my eye, and it hurt! :cursing: but i was alright...I still went boating :buttrock: Later that day it started to bother me quite a bit....

My eye had been red and kinda itchy every sence. I flushed it, but still it did'nt feel right. I went to Pearle Vision and the doc there said I had a metal splinter in my cornea. Thats the clear covering over your eye incase someone did'nt know. THAT doctor told me that I was going to have to have my eye drilled on to get it out! I was like WHAT! He said I must go see a optomologyst ASAP and have it taken out.

I went to the opto. He sat me down, looked at my eye. Said "O yeah, I see it.." he dropped some numbing eye drops in my eye, waited a few minutes till my eye was numb (which now, tonight here of course my eye ball of all things is actually sore!) Then he took the needle and very slightly scratched the sliver right out of my eye. The "surgury" took him all of 30 seconds.....

He gave me some anti-biotic eye drops and sent me on my way. Good guy. Im fine. Just let this be a lesson. BE CAREFUL! I got into a hurry, and I ended up hurting myself, and my wallet. That doctor bill is a set of lipo's for pete sakes! :laugh:

Im fine, but I could have lost an eye. I will never work on anything with a dremmel without some kind of eye protection in the future. man....my eye sure does still hurt....... :o

mr.mauian
09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
"It's all fun and games till someone gets there eye poked out" this is the saying still used by everyone here...lol. Glad you okay bro.:smile:

Eyekandyboats
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
i did that .
in both eyes it hurts

skidooguymxz550
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
damn, i may listen to my mom about googles

i hit a kid in the eye with a pencil one from across the classroom

his eye turned red with blood and he went to the doctor and i got a 1/2 day suspension.

i felt terrible after that:scared:

Team A-Hull
09-25-2007, 11:05 PM
LMAO! (Right Eyekandyboatst! / Side Joke)

FE Chris This exact same thing happened to me 2 months ago working on a boat before camping. I never thought when my I eye started to hurt I had something stuck in my eye. Later found out I had a couple pieces of metal in my eye.
I was out of town on my way to go camping and also had to have surgery on my eye, It took around 30 to forty minutes for the peieces to be removed and so on. The funny thing is as the pain meds were kicking in, the doctor had not arrived from the hospital he was at. So in the mean time I went to the hobby store to get what I needed to finish my boat while I would be camping and then race back to the doctors to get this thing out of my eye. As I was in the hobby store I was squinting because the bright sunlight was starting to irritate my eye and my eye was starting to tear up. As I was squinting I handed him money with the hand I was favoring from a bad cut from and exacto knife, then I laughed and said,
“blood sweat and tears for this hobby, but it’s worth it".
The whole 3 days I had this sliver in my eyes and shavings it felt like someone had a pen putting pressure on my eyeball 24/7. Hurt like hell and it, sucked! Now I always wear my safety glasses. The doctor said you can loose your eye to events similar to this.

I hope your eye healed up well Chris!

FE_Chris
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
WOW! Glad im not alone! LOL Im glad everyones OK. And thanks guys im fine. My eye still hurts a little bit, but it's almost 100% and it's not all irritated anymore....but it's still red...even visine won't "take the red out!"

Sounds like several of you guys have had it worse then me....I had one little peice....it took seconds to remove. Sorry to here it.

So how did you guys get the peices removed? DRILL?

Jeepers
09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Just be careful of what type of safty glasses you use, I had a piece of metal get stuck in my eye after hammering on metal and I was wearing safty glasses,(job requiresments) not once but twice this has happened to me, both times they had to drill the metal and grind the rust out, (tried using the eye wash station) so MAKE SURE your saftey glasses fit properly you want them as close to your face as possible! This is probably the most painful thing I had happen to me.

If you wear prescription glasses like I do, check with the vision place and see what type they have available, they are more comfortable than the bulky rubber ones.

Team A-Hull
09-27-2007, 12:42 AM
He had to pull my eye out and he dusted it off with his pants leg. The tricky part was getting my eye out.

Small micro tweezer, and i'm amazed how he got it out without damaging the eye more. God, it felt so good when it was out!

Eodman
10-03-2007, 06:42 PM
My Mom used to tell me if I kept it up I'd go blind! ..... Thats what she must have been talking about!