PDA

View Full Version : Cat suitable for dual outboards??

Darin Jordan
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Guys... I'm thinking of getting together the parts for just a fun project... Something a little unusual that I can just have for a sport boat...

With the pick-up of the EP-1 outboard that SJFE had up last night, I now have two of them... I'm thinking I'd like to build something with dual outboards that is kind of scale looking...

I don't really have a well-thought-out plan at this point, as I have a couple of other boats I have to finish first, but I was thinking along these lines...

Something in the 25-30" range... Dual EP-1 outboards with 15 to 12-turn brushed motors... I have several Hydro Zeta ESCs that are made for dual motors that I thought I'd give a shot... They are older and kind of heavy, but may work for the purpose... I'd likely power it on 3S or maybe 4S...

I think the outboard is going to hold a max of maybe a 35mm prop... I'd like to reverse-rotate one of the motors and have counter-rotating props, but it looks like I can only get an X430 in reverse rotation... Next appears to be an X442, which I think would be too big...

So, I was thinking of trying out a CAT this time around... It's going to be either that or an Offshore Deep-V hull... but I think a Cat would look pretty cool...

Not sure what hulls are out there that might have the transom to support these motors, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears... Let me know what you think...

Eodman
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Darrin - Great minds think alike ... See my thread "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty"

Darin Jordan
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Darrin - Great minds think alike ... See my thread "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty"

Thanks... I guess I missed that thread... Looks like you are still searching for answers as well...

If I come up with something, I'll let you know... Likely start a build thread too... Heck, it's what we do!! ;)

SJFE
09-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I have looked into this quite a bit. I have wanted to do this build for about a year now. To date the list of sub 30" hulls with transoms that will work are short. The lates one I found was the M1 Super Cat "S". It's priced right but impossible to get. The next hull I looed @ was the BlackJack 26. Horizon has them for 130+15 for a hatch. It had a grat stern and freeboard..but is a little narrow. The BBY scat 26 needs alot of reworking as Mr Fluid pointed out. The Apache proboats got comming may work but it's not the 24"L Id worry about. Its the 7 or *8" beam. Other than those I'm stumped also. I'll give you that NQD cat I just setup for OB's...lol I wont be usin it.

Eyekandyboats
09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Darin.
how about the mean machine or something that is quite wide and would support the hi CG

Darin Jordan
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Darin.
how about the mean machine or something that is quite wide and would support the hi CG

I'll have to take a look at it... I don't know if I've even seen one... Who sells them??

Eyekandyboats
09-25-2007, 09:04 PM
This site
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Aero-MM

and i think Paul P might have a couple

Darin Jordan
09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
This site
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Aero-MM

and i think Paul P might have a couple

Ahhhh... OffshoreElectrics once again... VERY NICE! I'd be interested to hear from Jay or Steven about how this might work out?? I'm wondering if it might be too heavy for using brushed motors... But then, who knows...

Eyekandyboats
09-25-2007, 09:11 PM
It has a nice big back end to support the OB's and it wont look so funny looking.

Eodman
09-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Morning Folks, I've been talking about this on another thread----Here Kitty Kitty Kitty I think I'll try the mean machine if its a dog maybe I can upgrade the outboards(EP1's) to brushless!

Darin Jordan
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm curious as to why the BlackJack 26 Brushless hull wouldn't work??? It looks to be wide enough, and it would be a decent scale for the outboard size...

Anyone have one of these that could comment??

So far, I'm looking at the following:

OSE Raider 25" => Might be too narrow at only 6.75" but otherwise would look cool and scale

Mean Machine => Might be too wide, and maybe too long, and it's a little costly for a "sport" project

ProBoat BlackJack 26" => Don't know anything about it... It was mentioned here that it's too narrow???

AeroMarine Challenger 31" => Might be just too big for the application

ToySport Syncron 28.5" => The Price... HOLY MOLY the price...

Eodman
09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm concerned about the length of the Blackjack -- that's alot of weight hung off the back of the boat! May not be such a problem with Nimh but if I want to upgrade to Lipo I'll have to add weight to offset motors! Then what do i gain!

As I said before I'm not looking for 100MPH but I don't want a lead sled either!

Eodman
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I think I'll go with the MM! Just waiting on pricing from OSE with shipping costs included!

You get what you pay for & I may not have to reinforce the transom On the MM!

SJFE
09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
You may be fine with the Proboat hulls Darin. From what I have learned you want the OB's close together anyhoo.

Darin Jordan
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I may have to look into that BlackJack hull... I found this video that is pretty cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HYe4FP-2o

The boat seems to handle the water well at speed...

Ocean Racer
09-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I was just checking out Darin's link and i just thought of doing a search on
Rc (OB) cat and this is the best vid i found :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzsX8G_GPw

Eyekandyboats
09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
wow Darin thats a sweet video you found

Darin Jordan
09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey guys....

What about an MRP Fast Cat?? They are about 28", ABS, so it's light... Anyone know anything about these hulls???

I'm still leaning toward an FE version of the BJ 26, but just looking at other things too until the BJ becomes available...

Fluid
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
The FastCat had a pretty shallow tunnel and was not designed to go very fast by today's standards. Probably too narrow as well for best handling on twin OBs. I guess a lot depends on the power/weight of the motors....

Darin Jordan
09-28-2007, 06:58 PM
The FastCat had a pretty shallow tunnel and was not designed to go very fast by today's standards. Probably too narrow as well for best handling on twin OBs. I guess a lot depends on the power/weight of the motors....

That's kind of what I thought Jay... Thanks for popping in...

I'm thinking my best bet may be the BlackJack 26 Hull... It would make sense to get one of the FE versions, as it'd have lots of extra parts when I'm done converting to the outboards that I could use for other applications or readily sell to recoup some of the costs...

Plus, it looks like the hull is capable of going plenty fast if I can get the motors right...

If I recall... I was able to fit a Y535 prop onto my other EP1 without any clearance problems.. I was thinking a pair of 19T Peak Revolution V2 motors may provide some decent power with a 3S Lipo pack to really make this thing go... Does that sound reasonable, or would there be a better motor size to try, keeping in mind I'd like to stick with a Brushed setup for this one so I can have better partial throttle operation... and maybe reverse...

whiplash
11-14-2007, 01:17 AM
you know.......the nitro version has a perfect place for one 14.8V 4s pack about 6-8000mah right up in front where the gas tank used to be in the wood. the BL version does not have this. since you have OB's theres even more room up there. and the weight would help compensate for the motors, also with two OB's no need for turn fins......I didnt like the turn fins. heres some pics of the inside of mine I took out the servo box but kept the tray in for more room. you could easyly make a servo tray for two......ive seen your builds man. just some food for thought ALOHA

Eodman
11-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Darin, I have to tell you I think you are going to have your hands full with the high center of gravity on the narrow cats! My mean machine is a little squirrelly in turns and it's 11 inches wide! Its in the high teens in terms of speed & I have to be careful make turns! But it sure looks nice out on the water!

On another note this months issue of rc boat modeler has a story on the the MM & LIPOS and the guy is talking about speeds in excess 45 or 50 mph perhaps I build an inboard version of the mM instead of waiting for the Maritimo hull to come in!

trepanned23
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.powercatboat.com/Switzer/Valachovic/bv.html

Darrin, I enjoy seeing your builds on this site. I am trying to figure out how to build a scale Switzer Wing - please see above link. I am a little concerned with getting a leg long enough because the "Wing" is built to fly. I would need good partial throttle control because a good scale Wing would really tend to slide through turns which made the real wings obsolete when the Molinari tunnels came along. Twin outboards are a must for this boat with stacker cowls and megaphones

Didn't mean to hijack thread. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
George in L.A.

wakeboardfusion
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
old thread, but did anything ever happen with this?