PDA

View Full Version : This kind of news can't be good for lipo

hydromaddicted
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Batteries blamed for blast at San Diego FedEx
Associated Press
Posted: 04/14/2010 08:33:53 AM PDT
Updated: 04/14/2010 08:37:05 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO — San Diego authorities say a package explosion at a FedEx warehouse appears to have been sparked by batteries and was not intentional.

City fire spokesman Maurice Luque (Loo-kay) says two lithium batteries in a box made contact and exploded shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday at the building in the Miramar neighborhood. No one was injured.

Police Lt. Dan Christman say employees who were sorting packages were about 6 feet away from the cardboard box when it exploded. They reported a flash and smell like gunpowder.

The building was evacuated. A police bomb squad was called in.

Police Detective Gary Hassen says they concluded the blast was an accident.

AndyKunz
04-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Exactly why they are on the hazmat list now. I'm glad it happened on the ground. Could have been fatal had it been in the sky.

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Batteries blamed for blast at San Diego FedEx
Associated Press
Posted: 04/14/2010 08:33:53 AM PDT
Updated: 04/14/2010 08:37:05 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO — San Diego authorities say a package explosion at a FedEx warehouse appears to have been sparked by batteries and was not intentional.

City fire spokesman Maurice Luque (Loo-kay) says two lithium batteries in a box made contact and exploded shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday at the building in the Miramar neighborhood. No one was injured.

Police Lt. Dan Christman say employees who were sorting packages were about 6 feet away from the cardboard box when it exploded. They reported a flash and smell like gunpowder.

The building was evacuated. A police bomb squad was called in.

Police Detective Gary Hassen says they concluded the blast was an accident.

I want to know if it was before or after the normal drop test these guys put our packages through. :confused2::help::cursing:

ozzie-crawl
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
hmm, i was at the post office a few weeks back and some lady had a parcel to be sent
she paid the money etc and walked of,the person behind the counter picked up the parcel and threw it about 10 feet threw the air towards some big bags,it hit the wall and rebounded back in to the bag,person who threw it was rather pleased with them self on getting it in the bag. if this is how they treat parcels in front of costumers i would hate to see what happens behind our back,it may explain some parcels i have received.
its obvious they take no notice of fragile stickers so we need a sticker for lipos saying "warning box may explode if kicked or thrown you stupid ****"

domwilson
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.10news.com/news/23146758/detail.html

ozzie-crawl
04-14-2010, 09:00 PM
the thing that gets me most about this story is not the fact batteries blew up or some one nearly got injured but which one of you guys lost there batteries ?
why cant they do a article of you crying because you cant run your new boat this weekend because FedEx blew up your batts that is the real tragedy behind this story, dam media always twisting things.
so to you guys in San Diego that have batteries on order check your tracking see if it says "parcel exploded unable to deliver"
:just-kidding:

Jeepers
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Who said anything about lipos I read "Lithium" batteries could have been the round cells.

domwilson
04-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Don't know if they were hobby batteries..."They found that it was commercial lithium batteries that were being shipped, "

andym
04-15-2010, 03:12 AM
its obvious they take no notice of fragile stickers
Ozzie Aust post actually demand FRAGILE stickers or tape be removed from packages as they assume NO liability for damaged goods !!
As for the lipo's mate at least it was not in a fellow boaters pride and joy who had been told to run WITHOUT a lipo cut off by a certain Queenslander and had a little boat fire after 20min of run time!!! Ring any bells Ozzie ??????

Heath M
04-15-2010, 04:53 AM
now now boys keep it civil :banana::banana::banana::banana:

andym
04-15-2010, 05:17 AM
:moon::moon::moon::moon: And this is my grown up responsible reply

Karfrik
05-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Hope they are not my 2 packs i`m waiting for from HK!!!!!:confused1::huh::olleyes::crying:

OshkoshMono
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
I think most shipping companys, especially UPS (should drop the U and add be called OOPS). I think the only hire guys named "Pele". They just smashed my cowl from aeromarine. I think the fragile stickers encourage them to kick the box around. I have 2 lipos coming from amazon.com, so we'll see if I get to call the driver Pele again.