PDA

View Full Version : 1968 1/10 "scale" Ealge Electric Test Ready

Hydromaniac
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
:buttrock:The racing season is here and I am almost ready, This project started out with just a racer in mind, well once again I got a little carried away. Here is another build that is just about finished. This is my all time favorite boat The 1968 Eagle Electric. My plan was to build it as a Vintage 1/10 scale racer. But it has turned out to be the nicest hydro I think I have built to date, the paint and gold leaf is just about perfect. The Hull is Carbon Fiber/FG composite,all of the deck and cowling has been hand made as is the dummy motor, dash and all details. All the is left to do is finish and add the driver, finish the cockpit and change the zoomies to the correct merlin type exhaust that were on the real Eagle, they should be here soon.(Thanks Eddie). The build turned out much lighter then I had planed It weighs 5 lbs 7 onces water ready. May need to add some weight. Its not much heavier then my LSH boat and it 36 inches long. She is ready for testing and should be complete by first race next Sunday. The clock is ticking LOL.
:rockon2:

BHChieftain
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
What a beautiful boat! I'd like to do a shovelnose project after I gain a bit more experience...

-Chief

Xfactor
04-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice boat even though this stupid dsl is down and it took 10 min just to post this comment.

Hydromaniac
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. Been there with DSL , went back to cable seems I have had no issues since. Here are a couple of shots of the inside and of the dummy engine, I still need to change the exhaust to the correct Merlin type of zoomies which are a little bit different.

Hydromaniac
04-16-2010, 08:00 AM
:smile:I have finished the boat completely, I changed the the exhaust to the correct Merlin type,added a new Eddie Hansen period correct driver, built and installed a seat and head rest. The boat is done and now race ready. It ran pretty well when we tested it last weekend, I have now put in the new motor as the test motor was pretty worn and down on power,I have also went with a larger prop as it can use it, so I'm sure we'll see some large gains in speed. The boat is the best handeling 1/10 hydro I have built. I think its going to be a great boat. Here are a couple of shot of her race ready!! :rockon2:

Hydromaniac
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
:biggrin:Here are a few shot of some of the detail work.

steve-b
04-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Wow. That is a beutiful boat hydromaniac. Ive always liked the look of the shovels. Good job.

Jesse J
04-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Imaculate work as expected from you, Rod! I love the super details - pinstriping on the sleeves? I LOVE it!! Wish I could see it in person as pictures never do your work justice.

So, why is the driver refusing to hold onto the steering wheel? I bet that was a frustrating part of the build - is there any way to modify the steering wheel to make it fit his hands? maybe a yoke like in the airplanes?

Again, absolutely gorgeous work, congrats!

Darin Jordan
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Is that a spec of dust I see there??? ;)

You seem to put these out so quickly, that it's amazing to me you are able to get that kind of detail. Another job well done.

K.R.Joye
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow Rod! So Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Your attention to detail keeps the bar way up there with the 10th scales. I hope theres a conquers at the Nats your boat would be top flight.

Doesn't feel great to complete these big projects(just finished my SP40)what a rush!

Hydromaniac
04-17-2010, 08:45 AM
:thumbup:Thanks for the great comments guys, Ya it's kind of cool to get to the end of a build and have it all work out. As for getting the detail after you do a few builds you find ways to speed up the process, that and my secret junk box, I have a box and some small containers that I keep all kinds of junk doo-dads that I find ,in, when I'm adding details I look to see what I can use to create parts for detail pieces, As for the driver not grasping the wheel, time is short so I used him as is but I also have a plan the needs some time to work out . For now perhaps I'll make a beer can and put it in his hand,LOL.:banana::just-kidding:

Hydromaniac
04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
:banana: I raced her this past Sunday, It is the best handeling hydro I have built! Seeing that This was her first race and she had not been ran but a couple of short runs I didn't push her very hard and we took 2 firsts and a second out off our 3 races. I am very happy with her, she is a real joy to drive!!! I think she'll be a winner!!:biggrin:

duckbum
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Must be nice to have it all...

Can't wait to see the new Bardahl Cab-Over!

1st time I've seen the "Eagle Electric" build...Truly Shocking!!!

Keep up the great work...an inspiration to all scale modelers...

How about FE Indy Cars from the 50's and 60's?

sailr
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I am now the proud owner of Rod's Eagle Electric. It truly is a work of art and runs as good as it looks.

Hey Rod, got anything else for sale? ;-)

RandyatBBY
12-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Nice one Rod!

Hydromaniac
12-01-2010, 06:54 AM
:thumbup1:Thanks again for the great comments, I enjoy building as much as racing and maybe more then racing.

Hydromaniac
12-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Must be nice to have it all...

Can't wait to see the new Bardahl Cab-Over!

1st time I've seen the "Eagle Electric" build...Truly Shocking!!!

Keep up the great work...an inspiration to all scale modelers...

How about FE Indy Cars from the 50's and 60's?

:thumbup:Thank You! I have had a plan in the back of my head to build some old style Vintage midget racers. I think it could be done based around some of the cars out now. Thanks again

Hydromaniac
12-01-2010, 07:08 AM
I am now the proud owner of Rod's Eagle Electric. It truly is a work of art and runs as good as it looks.

Hey Rod, got anything else for sale? ;-)

Thank You! I'm glad you're enjoying her. The Eagle Electric is my favorite boat. I loved her when I first saw her in this configuration back when I was a kid. I don't have anything for sale that I'm ready to part with right now, but should have a better idea after 1st of the year, Right now I planning boats to race at the Winter Warm Ups in Scottsdale at the end of February.

sailr
12-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Keep me posted!

Thank You! I glad you're enjoying her. The Eagle Electric is my favorite boat. I loved her when I first saw her in this configuration back when I was a kid. I don't have anything for sale that I'm ready to part with right now, but should have a better idea after 1st of the year, Right now I planning boats to race at the Winter Warm Ups in Scottsdale at the end of February.

duckbum
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Curious if ya bought the boat with motor and esc...or what you're currently running in it?

Motor, esc, which batteries, prop, flex drive, etc...?

The Eagle is a classic I've overlooked somehow...really one of the sexiest for sure...maybe Rod could do one for me someday???

Thanks

sailr
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
bought it without motor/esc. I followed Rod's advice. Running a SV27 motor and esc, two 2S 5000 hyperion packs in series (4S). .078 wire drive. Octura X442R slightly detongued.

duckbum
12-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks...
That seems to be the club set-up...and Namba too.

Will probably stick with that for Cab-Over Bardahl, unless Rod thinks we can kick it up a notch...since I don't race.

Sure don't want to damage the works of art!