PDA

View Full Version : Servo (?recoil?)?

Boatman
04-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Guys I have another strange question. When your servo say, pulls the steering linkage, when you let go of the steering wheel, does the servo produce the same amount of power to get back to (0)* as it does when it is pulling or pushing? I imagine it produces the same amount of power no matter where it is moving the arm to but no one ever explained that to me. I remember distinctly on my rc trucks that when you steered it to one direction it would turn the wheels all the way but after letting go of the wheel the front wheels would not always center themselves.

tiqueman
04-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I think it does, however, there may be settings in your transmitter to allow it to perform differently. I created a "new model" on one of my tranmitters and the steering servo would throw the steering to the turn position, but then creep back with a "shimmy" to center. I forget what setting fixed it, but I learned my radio does way more than I will ever need in a boat.... Also, one way wasnt throwing as much or as fast... I got it all worked out now

ozzie-crawl
04-10-2010, 04:01 AM
i would say it does,even when centred it is holding that position.if you try and turn the rudder by hand it will try and stay centred.
but there is always a but i dont know if it produces the same amount of torque all the time or if its dependent on its load,i would think as load increases the more power it would need,the harder the boat turns the more pressure on the servo
but there would also be a fair amount of pressure to keep the rudder straight especially at high speeds.
lol i probably made more questions than answers

andym
04-10-2010, 04:54 AM
The answer is yes, They have the same torque at all times. You can and should change the rate of steering but not the torque

graill
04-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Guys I have another strange question. When your servo say, pulls the steering linkage, when you let go of the steering wheel, does the servo produce the same amount of power to get back to (0)* as it does when it is pulling or pushing? I imagine it produces the same amount of power no matter where it is moving the arm to but no one ever explained that to me. I remember distinctly on my rc trucks that when you steered it to one direction it would turn the wheels all the way but after letting go of the wheel the front wheels would not always center themselves.

The easy explanation is minute amounts of slop in the linkage. the more complicated one, of which i wont go into, as you can look this up anywhere on the net, are the the pots, analog and digital, coupled with spring returns on your wheel or stick etc, alot of variables caused what you witnessed.

Today digital equip is by far more accurate, faster and reliable than analog could ever hope to be, or ever was, (of course the die hard analog folks will stand on a soapbox and decry this statement). With todays tech and a tight, well built linkage system, regardless of model type, you should have no problems making anything return to where you want it, center or otherwise. :smile: