PDA

View Full Version : Well... Boo

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
:thumbsdown: I few weeks ago I ran some lipos in a 32" cat pretty hard from the get go till the LVC kicked in. It was 2 2S packs in series, 4S to an 8XL motor. I brought it in and things were warm but not blazing. If I remember, my batts were about 130F? The next day I ran one of those 2S packs, w/ a 3S for a 5S set up for 2 quick passes to see how she'd run. I brought it in and checked temps. Highest batt temp was 122F. A few days later I pulled the 2S packs out to run them and noticed one felt a little "airy". I looked closer at it and noticed it was puffed about 1/16" on one side. I took precaution and set it in my grill out in the garage for a couple weeks. There was no change, so today I thought Id hook it up and peak it. Charger read "Voltage error". After checking it, it seems one cell went Kapoot. :thumbsdown:

SO, whats the best way to dispose of it? The LHS and another Lipo company said to discharge it as much as possible and then put it in salt water for a few weeks? How do i discharge it if it only half works? Do I need to worry about that?

I puffed a Reedy 5000 when it was 6 weeks old at 90 bux and Reedy nor the LHS would do anything about it. This 2S was a Turnigy pack... I got 7 months usage out of it AND it survived a fire... So I still believe in Turnigy and will be replacing it with the same Turnigy battery from HC.

Doby
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Throwing the LiPo in salt water will slowly discharge it over time.

Throw it in the water in its current state of charge and it will be safe.

Simon.O.
04-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Lipo disposal has benn talked about before but each time I see someone who is unsure I will answer.
Pop it in a bucket of water for a week and it should be fine to then dispose of.
I use a large 1.2L metal can that I have a lot of from my home-brew (beer) hobby.
The pack goes in the can full of water and then after a week or two it gets wrapped in newspaper and lobbed in the garbage.

I am sure there are better and more environmentaly freindly ways to dispose of them but here we do not have them.......yet.

RayR
04-11-2010, 06:16 AM
The airplane/heli guys have been doing this forever. Discharge the cells to 1.0V or below, twist the leads together and toss them in the trash.

Ray

RandyatBBY
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I was told by Pat at RCLipos to put the cells in Salt water to make safe to dispose of.

Jeff Wohlt
04-11-2010, 09:22 AM
All it takes is a couple of tsp of salt in the water and throw it in a bucket outside.

Would be nice to save the other cell but that would usually be on a larger pack.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Awesome guys. Thanks for all the replies. Im going to give it its burial in the "bucket o salt water" today. I just wanted to be sure I wasnt going to do this and create more problems.

Thanks again!

Gerwin Brommer
04-11-2010, 04:15 PM
1. discharge the cell with a lightbulb.
2. make 2 cuts in the outer shell of the cell.
3. 3 tablespoons of salt per litre water. Put cell in the water.
4. after a day, or two, throw the cell(s) in the trashbin.

There is no chemical waste in the cell(s) !!

graill
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
1. discharge the cell with a lightbulb.
2. make 2 cuts in the outer shell of the cell.
3. 3 tablespoons of salt per litre water. Put cell in the water.
4. after a day, or two, throw the cell(s) in the trashbin.

There is no chemical waste in the cell(s) !!

Lol i was going to say i hope someone makes a bit more detailed response, well done Gerwin.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, very well put.. Thanks Gerwin. I didnt get a chance to do anything w/ it today. Perhaps tomorrow.....