PDA

View Full Version : Cat Build(Here kitty kitty kitty)

Eodman
09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Good morning folks nice to be here!

Need some help would like to build a cat over the winter, I want to hang 2 Graupner outboards(the 650s) off the transom. Will stay with NiMh for now, would anyone have an opinion on the length of Cat I should look for? Maybe even what brands to consider?

My son & I use Spektrum transmitters on our Supervee & Traxxas!( waiting for the Blackjack Brushless) So that will stay the same!

I'm guessing that if I use an electric hull that I should add some glass to the inside of the transom to reinforce but I'm not sure!

At this point this is just fun for us, we don't race!

Any help would be most appreciated!

SJFE
09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi & welcome. Nice to see another cat guy. I would suggest a Scat Cat 26, BlackJack 26 hull or a H&M super cat-s. FYI The Graupner units are only suited for brushed motors. You will have to replace them for brushless. I for one have been wanting to do a build like this for a long time. I can't wait to see yours :).

Eodman
09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I typed NiCD while my brain was thinking NiMH ! So please just plug NiMH into my first post!

Steven Vaccaro
09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Changed NiCd to Nimh for ya. If I was building a cat I would consider the ep1 outboards. They will handle more power than the graupner one.

Eodman
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
The only reason I was considering the Graupners were that they appeared to be a little more powerful! But I am new to this game so if the Aquacraft EP1's are a better choice I"ll go with them! Guess I better change my wish list!

SJFE
09-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I agree with Steven on this one. The ep1 will stand up to more power but is a little more work to maintain due to it's bearings & gears. Well worth it though. If you choose one of the glass hulls reinforcment is not an issue with the exception of the transom. Now with an abs hull you will need to some reinforcment. Keep in mind the weight you have hanging off the stern and plan your battery placment for the proper center of gravity. When it comes to an esc I would reccomend a set of rc hydros or a novak evx.

Eodman
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Well alright -- We have the outboards resolved(EP1'S) -- the servo & receiver will be from Specktrum -- the esc - hadn't gotten that far! Now the hull -- will a 26' be long enough or should I look for a slighly longer one? I'm not looking for 100 mph but don't want to end up with another boat like our Villian! Don't get me wrong I love the Villian but its a little slow!

Eodman
09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Anybody else out there have an opinion on the ESC? Remember I'm new to this!

SJFE
09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
You have to be carfull about the size of the hull. You want it to be light and not much over 26". Keep in mind you will only be able to run a minimum of 19 to 20 turn brushed motors. Anything lower will burn up.

kck741
09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
What about Fullers Outboards

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/images/cfoutboard.jpg

You can get it ready for just about any motor you want Brushed or brushless

Eodman
09-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Steven - What hulls under 30" do you offer! When I look at alot of the cat hulls It would appear that the motors will have to be mounted way out on the sides!( becuse of the tunnels) But I'm not sure! I think the Kitty will perform better and handle better if the 2 out boards are closer together!

An alternative would be a bracket hung off the transom to mount both EP1's to, but much harder to make look nice!

I haven't ordered the EP1's yet so I'm not sure of the size of the mounting plate of each or the size of the transom area over the tunnel!

Any input would be appreciated!

Eodman
09-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey SJ where do you live in NJ I'm right by the bridges on Parkway!

I looked at the Novak EVX ... I'm guessing it's the Traxxas Marine EVX you were refering to! That"s nice - easier to wire & water cooling is easy!

I think the Traxxas part # is 3015 although some sites say it is discontinued and replaced, not sure of the new #!

Now I 'm pretty sure the esc is identified ... Now I've just got to find the right hull!

Help me Somebody ...Pleaaase Help Me!

Fluid
09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
The BBY ScatCat 26 (really only 24" long) is far too small for two outboards and its transom is impossible to use OB on without major reworking. You should consider the ScatCat 32 or similar size hulls with a flat transom. The Mean Machine may work well because it is wide with a flat transom, but it is heavy.

You should mount the OBs close together in the tunnel, not out at the sponsons. To get the CG correct (about 32% forward of the transom) you will need to put the cells 'way forward to balance those heavy motors hanging outside the boat. Good luck and be sure to post pictures!

mr.mauian
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
my MM is 4 lbs. 14.8 oz. without batts. I guess if I run someone over other than a MM they gonna sink...hehe.

skidooguymxz550
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
i say mount them on the sponsons. look at all the real outboard race cats and tell me what you see.

Eodman
09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
SJFE is the Traxxas esc the same one you referred to as the Novak EVX? Would you know the new part#????

Darin Jordan
09-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Hmmmm... I wonder if somethink like this would work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-30-inch-Fiber-Glass-Cat-Hull_W0QQitemZ170152490311QQihZ007QQcategoryZ34058 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price is about right...

You'd have to get rid of that rudder mount in the back... Or maybe use it to mount an dual outboard mount to... That'd put the outboards QUITE a ways back, however... Not sure if that's good or bad... A lot of the real thing have them hanging out there on extensions like that...

Eodman
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Ok the hull(MM) & motors are ordered(EP1's)

Heres what we got:

Hull Mean Machine
Motor Aquacraft EP1's
Esc Traxxas Marine EVX2 Steve & I spent 3/4 of a day emailing one another trying to ID this new esc! Thanks Steve
Reciever Spektrum
Servo Spektrum

Now it's just wait until everything comes in. Could someone point me to a good trustworthy graphics company stateside. I'm an old fan of Jaguar Racing and want to do the graphics like Group 44 did their Cats! Green strips on white body with a leaping cat on either side of cockpit! I'd be willing to send the hull to them to get it right but just want to know I'll get it back and in one piece!

Eodman
10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Well my first package came today!

The Mean machine & EP1's arrived now the fun can begin. I have some sanding & filling to do on the hull and cover!

Will post pictures soon but in the mean time here's a few pictures of my inspiration for my graphics!

Eodman
10-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Well here's the 1st pictures of the EP1's hung on the 29" Mean machine!

I have reworked the cover because of the wire locations & will post pictures later today(I hope).

Tried the float test and batteries will need to be pretty far forward or maybe some lead to offset weight!

Still don't have all the hardware -- waiting on the Traxxas Marine EVX from someone! Until I get all that at least set in the boat I really can't tell about balance!

Can anyone see a reason my steering servo can't be forwardly located! Will the length of the servo rods greatly effect the steering response?

Eyekandyboats
10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
cool
why are the so close together,
each lower unit should be directly behind the sponson.

Eodman
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Apparently, there are 2 schools of thought on outboard placement:

1 school is mounted close together, the other is out on each sponson!

Now this is my first build and not for racing so I elected to go close together!

When I was young(late 50's early 60's)we had a summer home on a lake in Sullivan County NY & there were actually 2 cats on the lake that had dual Mercury's on the backends and they were close together..... so drawingn early life input I elected to go close together!

If it doesn't work I can always change it!

Darin Jordan
10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Well here's the 1st pictures of the EP1's hung on the 29" Mean machine!

Hmmmm... That looks good! I may have to rethink my hull choice! ;)

Can anyone see a reason my steering servo can't be forwardly located! Will the length of the servo rods greatly effect the steering response?

Shouldn't be an issue at all... OPC tunnels have LONG steering rods for their setups...

Eyekandyboats
10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah my steering rods on my n2-opc are 10 inches long . hehe! but because its a push pull it wont matter low long they are.

Eodman
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
That what I thought about being push/pull just wasn't sure!

I've added a few more pictures of the cover mods I've done! As you can see in the one picture I've cut part of the rear edge away & added an interior wall! When the motors are mounted the wires interfere with smooth steering so to give it more room I added an inch & 1/8th under cover!

As i go along my thinking is to cut holes in the top edge of the transom and pass the power leads thru soft tubing & add a little silicone to make a good seal!

I stole proboat's idea to keep the front of the cover locked in place, now I need to find a neat looking thumb screw (2) for the rear of the cover!

I'm just trying to come up with ideas for the servo in the last picture while waiting for the esc!

Also I need an antennea mount (small) for the edge of the hull -- I don't want to go thru the cover so it 's got to be small in diameter!

The more of the electronics I can locate up forward the less weight I may have to add!

Eodman
10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Steven confirmed that he shipped the ESC out to me today .... now I've just need to wait for it & the Geko(gps) to come in & start working on placement of everything!

Has any one tried that two part flotation mix thats out there? As it expands does it expand too much and create bulges ... or.... would I be better of using the Great Stuff in the blue can! Apparently it is a more controlled expansion!

Darin Jordan
10-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm of the opinion that you are going to want a servo and push/pull setup for EACH motor... I don't think a single servo is going to hold up well, or give you recise enough steering... Push/Pull means that a single motor has a rod pushing, and a rod pulling... so one rod is always in tension and the other in compression...

The way you have it here, I think your steering rods are going to take a lot of stress and also think that steering will be sloppy...

I'd go with two servos and a pair of steering rods for each motor... ESPECIALLY if you are using standard sized servos (under 50oz torque...)...

Eodman
10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the advise Darin, I certainly have the room for two!

My problem is not knowing the specs on the servo's. They are Spektrums and I've been looking for the spec's must not be looking in the right spots! When I upgraded to the Spektrums(2) controllers each one came with the following servo's --- 1 Z270 and 1 Z570(I think thats the number)! The first is their standard race servo and the second is their high performance racing servo! If I remember right the 570 has a brass spline coming out the top while the 270 has nylon/plastic out the top! I'm not sure the 570's are home!

If you think I'd be better off with 2 so be it! Now whats the best way to wire them to the receiver?

Darin Jordan
10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
If you think I'd be better off with 2 so be it!

I think you'd be MUCH better off with two... Otherwise, your outboards will flop around a lot... Those 270s and 570s sound like what came in my ProBoat Miss Bud... A pair of the 270s or ??? would be fine I would think... Not ideal, but adequate... for all our racing, it's been recommended for the OPC tunnels to not use anything less than 100oz/in torque... but my AquaCraft ProFisherman worked fine with the 270 in it... (push-pull, of course...)

Now whats the best way to wire them to the receiver?

That's EASY!:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000535914&I=LXWB69&P=K

Eyekandyboats
10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
two standard servos should be just great for that!.
I love the room in the MM hull.

Eodman
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
OK found the specs on the Spektrum servos

1.) Z270 49 oz/in @ 6.0V all plastic gears

2.) Z590 85 oz/in @ 6.0V all brass gears including spline

So I have 2 of each but I because of the amount of weight hanging off the boat I'm going to use the Z590's!

Thanks for the help Guys -- maybe I should list all you guys on the boat as builders!

Darin Jordan
10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the help Guys -- maybe I should list all you guys on the boat as builders!

Excellent... Sounds like you are on your way...

We're all just paying it forward... someone at sometime answered our questions and gave us advice... Just passing it along!

Eodman
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Well here's the new mock up!

I don't want to go any farther until i re hang the motors and see the size of the boots for the rods! But I think this will be better now where the h*&ll are those parts! Oh Mr UPS man where art thou?????

Eyekandyboats
10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
That looks great
very nice!

FE_Chris
10-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I dig this....I wanna see how it goes once out on the water!!!! NICE!

Eodman
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Well guys USPS man delivered my stuff to my home & not to my office! So I have the ESC and I even have the gecko 101( not mandatory) but it will help offset some of the weight!

I'm really trying hard not to have to add lead to keep the nose down! Although if I go to Lipo's down the road I may still have to add weight!

The autobailer is here to so this week end I can do a little building & maybe a float test!

Eodman
10-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Ok Folks --- Here's another picture of the Kitty build!

As you can see ... most everything is in the hull - just placed & guess what, put it on a round rod and it's close to being at its CG!

I still need the harness for the two servos, couple of other small parts but I think I can start assembly this week-end!

The part I hate is taking it back apart for final paint and clear topcoats, then out to the graphics shop for lettering and stuff!( I may be inclined to give it a short test spin before dis-assembly!):olleyes:

Darin Jordan
10-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Good Job, Eodman... I'm excited for you to get that on the water!

Can we count on some video footage??? ;)

Eodman
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I can tell you pictures will be posted ---for video I have to get my son to show me how to transfer & post!

I got the "Y " harness for the servos today now i just to stop & pick-up female connectors for evx to motor & some more deans connectors!

Stealth Assassin
10-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Apparently, there are 2 schools of thought on outboard placement:

1 school is mounted close together, the other is out on each sponson!

Now this is my first build and not for racing so I elected to go close together!

When I was young(late 50's early 60's)we had a summer home on a lake in Sullivan County NY & there were actually 2 cats on the lake that had dual Mercury's on the backends and they were close together..... so drawingn early life input I elected to go close together!

If it doesn't work I can always change it!

I can say with experience with my own full scale cats Is, You want your drives to be behind the sponsons to protect them from getting the lower unit knocked off or broke then resulting Into a hook/barrel roll.:scared: Also It helps with drag and tourqe/pressure or force on the lower. IMHO...
Are the motors counter rotating Inwards? It will drive straighter that way with more thrust. Imho...
:tiphat:

BUT! What do I know... Looking cool!

Derrick

Eodman
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Darrin, thanks for the input! No the motors don't counter rotate!

Remember this is the first build my son & I are doing. In effort to keep my 13 year olds attention we are getting it built before the water gets hard. Then this winter we will make improvements! Also this is for fun not racing!

I've been told that it may not be possible to get the EP1's to counter rotate! I figure once it's running I can contact Aquacraft technical department for info!

Stealth Assassin
10-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Oh It should be fine!:buttrock:

Is the motor brushed?

Eodman
10-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Aquacraft EP1's come as brushed units .... that said because of the lower unit is gear driven I'm told that it will stand up better to brushless motors! So you know where we are going with this right?

It's just for fun but it can still be fast Eh!!!

SJFE
10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Just like everything else I have looked into this also. They will hold up for a while if you service it after each run. That being said it was never designed for the rpm range brushless will deliver. As I stated when I asked Steven about this very subject.
It's a good thing OSE stocks replacment gears hu I say go for it. :)

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Just like everything else I have looked into this also. They will hold up for a while if you service it after each run. That being said it was never designed for the rpm range brushless will deliver. As I stated when I asked Steven about this very subject. I say go for it. :)

:iagree: Do it to it! If the motors are to much power...they always sell well in the swap shop.

Eodman
10-15-2007, 05:20 AM
The instruction sheet that comes with the EP1 has a few suggestions on hopping them up! So I'll see after the Kitty is running!

Eodman
10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Well the Cat is painted, some of the hardware is mounted --- ready to go to the print shop so the graphics can be done!

Once the graphics are done just have to hang the motors, put the electrics in, charge the batteries and see if thing will go!

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of tweaking to do! We'll just have to see!

Now do you guys know the bad thing about this build! Yup it was supposed to be done this winter! Now I have to find something else to build!

Now I wonder ........

Darin Jordan
10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
In your research, have you discovered whether or not the EP-1s can be run in the right-hand direction?? I'd like to counter-rotate mine, but haven't had time to sit down and figure out if the gears in there would work in the opposite direction....

Oh, and by the way.... WHERE are the updated PICS!! ;)

SJFE
10-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Darin I have been in there. The gears will spin in either direction.

Eodman
10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Darrin, no I haven't found out yet .... but you know I'm using a Traxxas evx updated version Part # 3020! When you look at the parts listing for the traxxas villian they don't list seperate part #s for the 2 motors so where & how is the counter rotation handled? Could it be in the esc or wiring from esc? I'm not great with electricity so I need help here!

More pictures coming - hull & cover painted white, windsheild & air intakes painted black!

skidooguymxz550
10-22-2007, 02:57 PM
reverse the polarity of the motor

Eodman
10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok here are some updated pics of the hull painted --- should have the hull back from the print shop Thursday or Friday!

I also reposted a picture of my inspiration for the graphics ... my father in law worked for Jaguar & Group 44!

Eodman
10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Well the Cat got wet today & she didn't like it! I had the motors jacked out away from the transom and too much hull in the water so all it did was go around in a tight circle!

I looked for the allen wrench set & discovered that It was sitting on the bench in the garage! Couldn't adjust the angle of the outboards, so the first test ended early!

But it wasn't a total loss we picked up a second supervee on ebay so my son & I had some drive time with the 2 Vee's!

Stealth Assassin
10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I forget... Are your motors counter rotating?Oh yeah brushed! NM that... That Is very Important for performance on twin motors.

:tiphat:

Eodman
10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
They are counter rotating & I'm sure I had the batteries to far forward but there's a learning curve here! So I'll make some adjustments and try again! I'm using the stock props(plastic) so the weight may be to much for the Plastic props! I'll order some metal octura's just slightly more agressive in pitch & diameter this week!

I just bought a new charger & it'll will do Lipos so if its the weight I may start upgrading some of my batteries!

Growing up we had an 18 ft Sidewinder with a 135 Evinrude on the tailend and I would play with the ride height of the motor and found the same thing but also would experience porposing at the higher heights!

But I don't want to change the motors until I at least have forward momentum of some sort!

Stealth Assassin
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
IMHO... Reversing the polarity on a brushed motor Is tough to get It to match the other because of the timing = the one reversed slower than the other.

IMHO... Porposing comes when you reach a max hp and the hull does not pull forward anymore. Also more minor cog... But, what do I know!:tiphat:

Eodman
10-28-2007, 08:21 PM
I'll double check but I tought both were at 0 degrees timing!

Eodman
10-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Well don't I feel like an idiot ---- can we all say a**hole! Guess what I neglected to do? Yup that's right I never got a counter rotating prop no wonder she didn't like the water!!!!!

I guess I better send an email to Steven asking for his help in selecting the right props!!!!

Damn do I feel stupid!

Eodman
10-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Well here's a couple of pictures of the cat with her graphics! I think it looks good -- now to figure what props to put on her!

Darin Jordan
10-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Well here's a couple of pictures of the cat with her graphics! I think it looks good -- now to figure what props to put on her!

Looks nice...

Reverse rotation props that will fit this outboard are limited... but here's what I'm going to do...

First, if you trim the water pickup tube you can fit a bigger prop... I cut mine right back up to the cavitation plate, leaving it at about a 45-degree angle, with the lower end of that angle stopping right at the cav-plate...

This will allow you to fit about a 36mm prop with no problem...

Because the shaft is 3mm (whoever decided this was a good idea should have their head examined...), a prop with a 1/8" ID is going to be slightly too large...
but it's close enough... You can get an X430 in right hand rotation, but I personally think the prop is too small...

Graupner makes several in reverse-rotation, and OSE sells them... I am going to take the 4mm shaft size Graupner 36mm prop and modify it to fit by sanding down the cone and drilling the hole all the way through... I've done this in the past with decent results... You can get that prop in both right and left rotation, so it would be a good pair...

Eodman
10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks Darin, what part # does OSE use for this prop? From the pictures online it hard to tell which one you're talking about.

Eodman
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Steve suggested wrapping the shaft with a piece of electrical tape to make up the size difference --- I think either one of these solutions would work!

Darin Jordan
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Here are the two I ordered on Friday:

31mm Standard Rotation:
Product ID: grp-2318.31
Graupner 31mm for 4mm threaded shafts

31mm Reverse Rotation:
Product ID: grp-2318.31L
Graupner 31mm L for 4mm threaded shafts

36mm Standard Rotation:
Product ID: grp-2318.36
Graupner 36mm for 4mm threaded shafts

36mm Reverse Rotation:
Product ID: grp-2318.36L
Graupner 36mm L for 4mm threaded shafts

SJFE
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
That thing just looks plain kewl man. I wouldent even care if it didnt even get out of it's own way. It would still be the boat I ran the most all day.

Eodman
10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks SJ, now that I know what I did wrong hope it goes well this weekend!

Darin Jordan
10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
You might try just runing it WITHOUT counter-rotating the props for awhile... See what it does and get everything else sorted out... Then you can focus your efforts on enhancing it once you know the basics are sorted out...

I'm interested to hear/see how fast it's able to go... I think those stock motors are 27-turns... If that'll actually propel that hull, my 22" V-Hull on a pair of 19-turns ought to really be a kick... ;)

Eodman
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah they are 27 turn motors according to Aquacraft any standard 550 motor will fit in the housing! What esc are you using?

Darin that 22 inch hull should fly!!!!!

Darin Jordan
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah they are 27 turn motors according to Aquacraft any standard 550 motor will fit in the housing! What esc are you using?

Any brushless with a 1/8" shaft will also fit... SCAREY!!

I'll be using a single RC-Hydros ESC V90/614 Opto Isolated Victory... I talked to Andy and he gave me all the details on making this work for 14.8V on anything down to a pair of 11-turns...

Eodman
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Well I quickly tried the cat as suggested by Darin and I have forward momentum!

We had alot of rain and our pool cover has and it has alot of water on it so I had a ready made test spot!

No way to tell speed but it did get up on plane before I had to shut it down!

RCprince
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
This is my SV 27 Outboard I first ran it with a 3mm shaft feigao 9l (2731 kv)at the time i did have a Garmin but it flew on 4s's then I tried a a cheap 3300kv mtr...pointless...it needed wings But I kept blowing ESC's....after my BJ-BL crashed Saturday I exchanged the system and I got my SV27 to run 38mph somewhat stable with a 645....But I replaced gears after every 20something runs..steve probably wanna know who is this nutcase who keeps buying EP1 gears, I just think it looks cools thats like a 1 dollar plus a run, not bad. http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/WakeWater/SV-BJ001.jpg

RCprince
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
By the way thats an octura 4mm to 3/16th shaft i have in there, fits great just need to open up the plastic piece in the back to accommodate the 3/16th part of the shaft.

Eodman
10-31-2007, 01:08 PM
OK just had the Cat out at lunch time(at a drainage pond) for a quick test --- it runs however just as I kick it it jumps up then planes momentarily starts cavitating and drops off plane!

I have to lower the units on the brackets and see if that helps! The brackets allow for about an quarter inch of movement up & down. I have them at the upper limit so time for more adjustment!

But it moves and turns for me .... not fast but............ we're moving!

Eodman
10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
OK I move thew motors all the way down on the mounts and its a little better! the Cat planes but still a little cavitation(tested on way home) so when I got home I made some modifications to the mount plates so I was able to gain another eighth of an inch!

If I have to I can get another eight by working on the plates alittle more But thats it!

Darin Jordan
10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Which props are you using???

Eodman
11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Darin - I'm still using the stock plastic ones! Haven't ordered the replacements yet ... My sons' birthday, then out to dinner not to mention the having a terrible week at work!

I manage a storage facililty, and we had Hazmat people, DEP people, EPA people from the County & National level here because of some chemicals found on the property!

So I haven't had time but I hope to figure out the props later today & get them ordered! But hey It's a work in progress and the Cat moves forward!

Oh and my wife just got promoted up to a director at Johnson & Johnson so I'm going to have to take her out to dinner to celebrate!(Can we all say another boat project)!!!!!!!!!!!

Darin Jordan
11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Darin - I'm still using the stock plastic ones! Haven't ordered the replacements yet ...

What you might consider is that the plastic ones on those units are very flexible, and that hull is pretty big and heavy compared to the ProFisherman... If you can get the Graupner 36mm props, or even the 31mm props, I think you'll have better luck...

If you aren't counter-rotating the motors yet, you might also try the purple ProBoat props for the Miss Bud... I used those on my ProFisherman and they worked great, and are CHEAP to buy... you also get TWO to a package! ;) I think they are about 34mm or so...

Congrats on your wife's promotion... that's great news! :thumbup1:

Eodman
11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Darin - I got the props ordered so that should help! The Cat will plane & stay on plane as long as I don't turn to sharp! Then cavitation starts and it drops off plane but will go back up on plane after the turn!

Last nite I adjusted the motor mounts a little more so I'll run out at lunch and try her again! Right now I want to guess she's approaching the speed of our Villian EX! My son & I are going to run them side by side this weekend so I'll be able to tell then!

I'll try to post pictures & a short video too!

Eodman
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Well I have a short video of the Cat from my phone but its a verizon account & I can't seem to get to download to this site .......... any suggestions! I can view it but can't seem to share it with this site! Its only like 15 seconds but at least you can see it move! I'm bummed!

Stealth Assassin
11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Try photobucket.com It's free...:tiphat:

Steven Vaccaro
11-05-2007, 04:19 PM
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc246/Eodman_photos/?action=view&current=110407_14131.flv

Eodman
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Well Folks I tried to post a short video - even asked Steven to help by emailing it to him and still no good !

I will take the video camera out this weekend and get some footage of the cat running! Hopefully I'll have the new props from OSE by then! Not Ose's fault - mine ... I must have had fat fingers when typing in my ship to address! If I have the new props on they will be counter-rotating and inward so that may help with keeping the props in the water also!

I did move the batteries back a little & that helped the cavitation some!

Eodman
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Lipo update ---- Well I tried the Cat at lunchtime with the 3700 2s1p's in it made a big difference! I'm guessing maybe 7 or 8 miles an hour difference! Very noticable... however without the extra weight of the NiMH she has a higher center of gravity and this is very noticeable in turns!!!!!

Have a small problem with it wanting to turn right alot even with the the counter rotating props! Not sure why!

Stealth Assassin
11-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Rotating Inwards or outwards? Are you sure the brushed motor In reverse polarity would have the same timing or hp?

Eodman
11-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Both inwards --- it should be close in hp! This morning I spent some cleaning the drives & when I took the lower units apart to clean I discovered that the inner bearing was broken! The inner race was on the shaft and the outer race was cracked and in the lower unit housing!

Although this may not be the only reason it's certainly a large part of it!

So I guess Steven is going to get an order!

No Cat action this weekend!

Avanti
11-22-2007, 01:53 PM
you want to run a cat boat turning the props outwards (atleast that is how most full size boats run, I use to build cats)

obrien
11-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Avanti, the outboard cats turned out and the inboard cats turned in. But that was with the drives in a much different location that what he has with this setup. Since his drives are in the tunnel, it could go either way. Typically turning the props in will give more bow lift and turning them out will give more stern lift.

Eodman
If you decide to try to move the motors behind the sponsons over the winter, you want to gearcases behind the sponsons, but as close to the tunnel side of the sponson as possible to get as much prop surface into the tunnel area as you can.

Again this not being a full size boat, it may react much differently since the weights are going to be different.

Stealth Assassin
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Avanti, the outboard cats turned out and the inboard cats turned in. But that was with the drives in a much different location that what he has with this setup. Since his drives are in the tunnel, it could go either way. Typically turning the props in will give more bow lift and turning them out will give more stern lift.

Eodman
If you decide to try to move the motors behind the sponsons over the winter, you want to gearcases behind the sponsons, but as close to the tunnel side of the sponson as possible to get as much prop surface into the tunnel area as you can.

Again this not being a full size boat, it may react much differently since the weights are going to be different.

Dead on... The differance with most R/C IMHO... Is the weight location.

aquinosteven
11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
what kind of speed do you get out of thats. i want to do the same thing but with twin 800s

Eodman
11-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Well up until about 3 hours ago it was running about even with a stock Villian ex ... however after work the tell tale signs came out of one the EP1's so its rebuild time! I think the water intake was blocked because the other EP1 & esc were just warm and this one was hot!!!!!

So I'm going to pick up a couple of 19 turn motors and move the motors out to the edges of the tunnel and it let her be! I think the hop up & the relocation of the motors should make a little faster than the Traxxas!

Thats what this started out to be --- a learning experience so when my son & I start the Maritimo build we have some idea of what we are doing!

aquinosteven
11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
wow i though it would be faster cause i got a villain ex and i was looking to do a build with a little more speed

Eodman
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
You have to remember that the Mean Machine is easily twice as heavy as the Traxxas ..... this was never about real speed more fun memeories from my early years!

Eodman
01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Bump for 4speed!

bill payne
05-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Good morning folks nice to be here!

Need some help would like to build a cat over the winter, I want to hang 2 Graupner outboards(the 650s) off the transom. Will stay with NiMh for now, would anyone have an opinion on the length of Cat I should look for? Maybe even what brands to consider?

My son & I use Spektrum transmitters on our Supervee & Traxxas!( waiting for the Blackjack Brushless) So that will stay the same!

I'm guessing that if I use an electric hull that I should add some glass to the inside of the transom to reinforce but I'm not sure!

At this point this is just fun for us, we don't race!

Any help would be most appreciated!
Did you ever get the outboard`s on a cat? how did it work out . i have been colecting outboard motors for 50 years . i have quite a large colection of outboards.

Eodman
05-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Bill ... yes I got them hung and run too! There's some pictures of it on this thread, I can't post them now the picturees are on my hard drive at work.

When I go in on Monday I'll try top repost one !

Eodman
05-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Bill here's acouple I found and cut & pasted!

Stealth Assassin
05-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Cool collection. I have a amps OB myself.

bill payne
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Bill here's acouple I found and cut & pasted!

george thats a good looking boat. i had bought an old hericane cat but its all built up and i hated to tear it apart. i dont think its big enough. i have one aquacraft now and should have 2 shortly.