PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 01:05 AM
I finally purchased a charger after over 20 years of RC-ing that has a cycle function. It came w/ great (what) instructions, but not so great (how) instructions.

If Im dealing w/ some older Nimh batts, If I set the charger to do say 3 cycles, discharge/ charge, what should my discharge settings be for say a 3000mah 6cell? I have an amp setting, then a volt setting then a charge setting.
So for example, it would look something like this
x.xA/ x.xV - > x.xA , being, discharge amps/ discharge volts - > charge amps

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to Amperage discharge per cell count or mah or something?
And same question but involving some Nicads I have layin around. What should A and V discharge rates be?

Oh and it is a Dynamite Passport Ultra charger

mappo
04-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Not a fan of dynamite products! however if you are going to do some cycling, a rule of thumb is to multiply by 2-3 the amps you are going to discharge= 3000=6-9 amp discharge, cut of discharge voltage should be .9 volts per cell=3000 6 cell will have a cutoff of 5.40 volts same for Nicads and Nimh. only difference is in peak setting= for nicads=10 -12mv Nimh=3-5mv per cell :6 cell will be 60-72ma and 18-30ma for Nimh. for 3000 mah i charge at 2.5amps to 4 amps depending on how fast i want to get going. Nicd are more tolerant to heat and overcharges, but not the Nimh, too much heat and overcharge will toast them.:cool2::popcorn2:

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Cool thanks.

Ive had/ have several Dynamite products and have no complaints.