PDA

View Full Version : Video Cameras?

Team A-Hull
09-23-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm in between builds and waiting for parts to arrive, so i have a little time on my hands. I was researching video cameras online for shooting video's of my boats in action. Does anyone own a certain brand video camera or one they would reccomend. Looking at the hard drive and dvd format video cameras. Just wasn't sure if someone would reccomend dvd or hard drive format and what wasmore reliable and easy to transfer.

Thanks

Steven Vaccaro
09-24-2007, 05:35 AM
I have always had good luck with Sony. I have always had the tape kind. But just bought a used dvd sony to give it a try. The problem is with the dvd I bought the record time is about 20 minutes in the best resolution.

JimClark
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I happen to like Cannon as their lenses seem to be better. As far as the format goes if you want to get into editing I would think the hard drive models would give better results as the video would be raw uncompressed.

Jim

Steven Vaccaro
09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Cannon may have better optics, but my experience with them was this. I had 2 Cannon Elura(spelling) die on me. The first in the warranty period, the second(replacement) not. :thumbsdown:

Team A-Hull
09-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks Steve and U-40!

I think I made my decision.

I think I will get this high teck wonder! I love the hand crank option on this model.

http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Graphics/Cameras/bell_and_howell_323.jpg

Just Joking; but I think I found one and your opinions helped out!

JimClark
09-26-2007, 01:26 AM
I didn't have that model I had the ZR with the mini DV tape and it's still working just fine thank you. I think as long as you stay with a good brand there are many good models out there.
Jim Clark

whiplash
09-26-2007, 03:52 AM
thats funny...........

SJFE
09-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I dont use a video camera. I use MrsSjfe's Sony Cybershot to record video. The resolution is good but we only have a 1gig memory stick. Ten minutes @ high rez. My only compplaint is it seems to want to focus on the backround instead of the boat @ times. But it's light & easy to drive and record @ the same time.

Team A-Hull
09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks SJFE, I think I'll think I might get a new digital camera and use the video option as you mentioned. I did not realize how many boaters actually get there video this way. Easy to transfer also!

SJFE
09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
The quality is always better with the camcorder. For boaters who don't always have a buddy to record the smaller unit it prolly best. Be sure it is a sony or othe top brand with alot of storage.